“Great early season holiday”

Saphir Palace & Spa
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Walsall
“Great early season holiday”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed early May & had first class time, not everything in the resort or hotel were fully open. However the hotel and staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful.The food seems to get mixed reviews,I found the breakfast while not offering the full English (you are not in England ) had 5 hot options at least 5 cerels many pastries lots of fresh bread & yoghurts plenty enough to have something different everyday for a week. there was plenty of choice at meal times patsa fish meats veggies & lots of cakes .Fresh salads were provided at every meal with a greater choice at lunch & dinner, My wife who is the pickiest of eaters managed to eat all week even without chips.There is an English pub 300m away on the sea front called the view sky sports & chips.A couple of Dinar to the waiting staff every 2 or 3 days goes a long way to keeping your glass recharged on a regular basis.Do not change to much money as you will find it hard to spend it all & the exchange rate back is not good. Shop first find what you want then change enough money for your needs at your hotel then return to the shops later ,you might find the price has dropped. If you are all inclusive turn your wrist band inside out so it just shows white it will make life a bit easier as all the local know which colour goes with every hotel & will tell you they work there .We would go back to this hotel in an instant keep an eye out for Thomas cook deals we are .

Room Tip: Rooms numbers 120-150.220-250,320-350 & 420-450 have great see views and get the sun in the morn...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank beermanWalsall
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Saphir Palace & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, thank you’re your time to write your review about Iberostar Saphir Palace . It is a pleasure for us to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us especially in so a special moment like holidays.

We are delighted with your powerful and positive words describing our complete services and facilities.For us is a priority to take care of the visitors properly and fulfill our guest expectations.

Iberostar crew will continue working to improve our services and facilities to make our guest feel welcome. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy our Hotel again in the future.

Iberostar Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed at Iberostar Saphir Palace for a long weekend February 2012 with my partner. We paid for a Deluxe Junior Suite and was very nice. It was small, but had a spacious shower, bath tub and toilet (which was separated by a door). You get a complimentary safety deposit box, which we left all our stuff in and was unharmed. We're quite a young couple (23/24) and found that the time of year we went was full of pensioners so for us it wasn't entirely the best time of year to go. It was cold and windy, but if you was in the sun it was boiling. There were still lots of excursions to do and the hotel staff happily arranged this for us. We went Quad biking, which was fun and we also went to Carthage where the tour guide takes you around and was very good, we went at the time when the talks were going on and saw Hilary Clinton briefly.

The food in the hotel was nice, but quite repetitive, but I believe the previous reviews are quite outdated as the hotel itself is very nice, has an impressive reception area, and the room we were in seems very new (refurnished perhaps) and the bed was really comfortable and HUGE! The TV was old and had only 2 channels that worked but we wasn't really inside much. The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool. We didn't use the outdoor as it was too cold but I can imagine in the summer it would be amazing. The indoor pool was used lots by others but is much smaller than how it appears in the photos. The SPA is very expensive and I would suggest try and find SPA treatments elsewhere and the gym can only be used once for one hour for free so it's not worth it. For a 5 star you would expect it to be complimentary. Our room was cleaned daily but you can lock the door from the inside and put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door so there won't be any cleaners bursting into your room at 9am.

The drinks on offer were lovely, although as expected their alcohol was very weak. The hotel didn't have much night time events probably due to us going in the low season, but was very accommodating to the pensioners. For Tunisia the hotel is very much a 5 star and when my partner and I saw other people's hotel's while we were picking them up/dropping off from the excursions we were VERY happy to be at ours. There are lots of Iberostars in Tunisia but I believe this one is the best. The staff there are very friendly and Iman and the male photographer (can't remember his name) were lovely and gave my partner and myself people around our age range someone to talk to and ideas on where to go.

One thing I would say about Tunisia itself: EVERYWHERE and i mean everywhere you go they want a tip. It's only around 1 dinar (50p) but if you keep giving it all adds up. Even the toilet ladies/men want a tip and they don't do anything. You cannot get Tunisian money here in the UK so you must exchange over there and it is illegal to bring the money out of the country. When we got to the airport to try and change our money to GBP the currency exchange staff just laughed at us and said "no pounds". We went to all of them before we realized they were having us on, but basically they won't give you pounds as it costs them too much to exchange, they give you euros instead and it works out less here, so SPEND ALL YOUR DINARS!!! There's nothing hot to buy at the airport once you go through customs so eat before you go through otherwise it's just crappy expensive sandwiches/rolls which you have to pay for in euros. If your suitcase is overweight be prepared to pay, the airport is very strict.

I would go there again but not in February, I suggest the best time would be May - September.

PS all the yellow cars are taxi's.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe or junior suite, didn't see the other rooms but imagine them to be quite small. Sea...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Shyvonne
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar Saphir Palace. We are grateful that you value us so highly. Thank you very much for your motivating comment. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

We would also like to thank you for sharing your observations. We will certainly take into our consideration. This gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one week end of April 2012. Have stayed in many Iberostar hotels and this is not 5 star, we would say 3 star plus or 4 star at a push.

We flew with Thomas Cook and the morning flight was dreadful, the breakfast the worse ever, my husband complained about it and the coffee served as you could see through it once milk added and the aircarft staff were miserable. May I add the return flight was the total opposite! Through no fault of the bus driver or the Thos Cook rep we had to wait over an hour for 2 couples to get on the bus and they never did turn up!

Upon arrival at the hotel and our room, we found the safe did not work, my husband had a wash straight away to find there were no towels and no drinks in the fridge. However the room was in a quiet part of the hotel as requested and a sea view so appreciated that. The room was clean and the bathroom lovely. The hair dryer looked like a nozzel from a hoover and when you lowered your arm drying your hair it switched off so I would advise to take a hairdryer with you.

When we asked for the towels, somebody to fix the safe and drinks the attitude was like okay whats the problem and advised somebody would come along to fix the safe. Nobody did. We waited and waited, ended up going back down to reception asked again. We had an afternoon by the pool, back up to our room and still not fixed. My husband went back down to reception and was not happy about the situation having to carry out passports etc around with us, so somebody did come up, couldnt fix it, then somebody else came! We later found out in the week from others we met that it was a common occurrence that the safes did not work and one mother/daughter had carried their personal belongings with them all week! I requested an extra pillow 3 times and the Thos cook rep also asked - I never did receive that extra pillow.

The pool is immaculate and lovely but was cold due to the time of the year. The towel/bed guy was lovely couldnt do enough for you. He was great. The loungers/umberellas are looking a little worn but did the job. Josef the pool barman was lovely, made lovely cocktails and nothing a problem. The entertainment staff are great, once they know your name they say hello every day many times. If you want to join in fine - if you dont thats fine too. Pedro and Mario are characters and good fun. We joined in a few things and it was good. Their evening shows are pretty dire but hey they did their best.

Bar staff great - cocktails / drinks limited compared to other Iberostar hotels but was fine. The bar area tended to be cold in the evenings. There is free wi-fi in the bar area only. The reception toilets next to the small bar had flies in all of the time, not very nice and never seemed to have toilet roll! There was also some temporary work done there. The toilets next to the reception/restaurant area were better but the men's toilets were cordoned off for nearly a week much to the annoyance of many guests. The toilets near the pool never ever had toilet roll, hand towels or soap - dreadful!

The restaurant service was good. The staff good. The food nice but repetitive and when we told our Thos Cook rep he advised us that many guests had mentioned this and they were having a meeting with the Head Chef the folllowing week. We always found food to eat but if you had children they would end up eating pasta all week! There was one restaurant opened the main buffet restaurant. If you wanted to go to a speciality restaurant you could book at one of the other Iberostar hotels within the resort. We did not bother except for the one within the Saphir. I wouldnt bother, it was the same food but served to you on a fancy plate. We were also not told that if you had more than the one bottle of wine served you had to pay! You also did not get a choice of food, a menu, nothing, it was just served to you. I had to check there was no seafood as I had an allergy - luckily there wasnt!

Our fridge in the room was filled once (day after we arrived). One can of coke, one lemonade, one diet coke. - there were two of us!! Never did we get water and were told to just get bottles of water from behind the bar which is fine I guess but if this was a 5 star hotel all of these little things would be addressed.

Building work was being done to the ceiling near the main bar area (outside). No signs were put up and debris was lying around. The lifts often broke down and it did once when I was in between 3rd and 2nd floor. I buzzed - nothing. Buzzed several times before somebody came to do something about it.

Outside of the hotel it was pretty much a dump. Broken glass outside, on our last day walking to the supermarket around the corner we saw a syringe, the beach is untidy and not appealing. the walk to the harbour is nice but many shops/hotels are closed. Thos cook recomend you go to The View (British bar) to see sports/matches. We went one evening and it was 3 dinas for a pint then when my husband went on a match day it was 5 dinas!

We did not use the spa facilility as when we asked to book our free 1/2 hour massage she said she could not for this week as she was busy. We were only staying for one week so she was stroppy and said she would do it but could we not have a jacuzzi instead - we said no. We made friends there and they told us they were having a swim in the indoor pool and she was shouting at them in French and they couldnt understand what she was saying so she locked them in!! They also tried the jacuzzi but came out as it was dirty!

Overall it was an okay holiday. I cannot fault the staff within the hotel as they were very friendly and worked hard. But they cannot call it a 5 star and I guess we were a little disappointed with Iberostar themselves. We would say if you want a cheap holiday in the sun, for one week, then go - you wont disappoint but I would not like it to have been my main holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet part of the hotel - being away from the main reception/bar area. We were facing the...
1 Thank gingermoggy
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Saphir Palace & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar. We regret profoundly the failure to meet your expectations, the head departments have been informed about your comments and we are sure they will help us to improve.

We are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations of a five star hotel.

Feedback like yours is very important to us, so we know what we can improve to reach an even higher and more exclusive service for our guest. We will certainly take into our consideration and we will do our utmost to improve these points.

Yours sincerely

Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This Hotel was one of the best we have ever stayed in and we have been about a fair bit! We had a room with sea view that was extremely spacious. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food excellent - something for everyone. My only suggestion would be that drinks could be more readily available instead of having to ask for water from the bar could it be put in the room? Also self service hot drink machine?

3 Thank daftsod
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Saphir Palace & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, Thank very much for sharing this nice comment about your stay in Iberostar. The head departments have been informed about your wonderful feedback so they can share your motivating words with our team. Your positive Encourage words motivated us to keep on working with illusion and enthusiasms.

We are improving our services and studying the possible renewal of the hotel
Thank you for highlighting out the personal service and friendliness of our staff as well our outstanding cuisine and varied gastronomy.

London
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed here for one week in September. Our room was spacious with a lovely seating area and seaview included. The swimming pool was large. The hotel was clean and tidy despite being busy. I found the food fairly disappointing as a non-meater. I do eat fish but there were only 2 choices churned out all week or the choice of very little else. The salads were plentiful and fruit was available. I found breakfast a much better option. We were on a half board basis but I was not expecting the buffet style that is churned out for an all inclusive option. The hotel was very expensive for alcohol if you were not on an all inclusive trip. The service was not great in the restaurant or the bar. We found better food outside the hotel and found a wonderful bar selling freshly made wood fired pizzas and locally brewed German beer on the sea front a few blocks down. After a reasonable tip, everytime we visited this bar, local delicacies arrived with our drinks. It made our holiday.
The local medina does have lots of restaurants catering for the tourists but was a little bland. Overall I would not rush back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank magnyficat
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Saphir Palace & Spa, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we want to apologize for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. We are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your service expectations.

The head departments involved have been informed about your comments. We will certainly take in our consideration and we will do our utmost to improve these points. Feedback like yours is very important to us, so we know what we can improve to reach an even higher and more exclusive service for our guest.

Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken action in order to meet our standards again. Your comment will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and we feel sorry to read that didn´t succeeded.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

this hotel was very welcoming and clean food was very good and a decent choice. the staff are friendly but need to pay attention to when customers are waiting at the bar to be served. over all a great location.

Room Tip: sea views are better and there was no extra cost
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar. We are grateful that you value us so highly. Thank you very much for your motivating comment. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is the first time I have ever written a review, but felt compelled to say what a wonderful hotel this is. The service was excellent, location fantastic,especially if you have rooms with sea views and the bed rooms were spacious and well appointed. We have travel.led extensively but this is overall, probably the best we have stayed in. Would also recommend the Sahara Experience trip, which provided an insight into Tunisia,past and present.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are definitely worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank waggy50
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Saphir Palace & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear guest,

In first place, Thank you for choose Iberostar Saphir Palace for so a important moment like holidays. We are delighted to hear that you felt welcome.

Thank very much for your positive comments regarding our cuisine and the amiability of our staff both elements are of prime importance to Iberostar. For us is very important that our guest feel welcome.

It will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.