“Staff are persistantly creepy and theives.”

Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel
Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
“Staff are persistantly creepy and theives.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Here we go! I read some of the reviews on here and thought "oh god what have I let myself in for" but when my friend and I arrived at the hotel I just couldn't believe anyone would ever have a bad word to say about the place! It's beautifully built and very open plan. We were given a drink while they sorted our rooms out, then a porter took our bags to our rooms, he didn't stand there expecting a tip but we gave him a small one. My friend was in a room just down the hall from me but that wasn't an issue as there was a phone in the room from which I could call her room for free. We arrived at 1.30pm so we decided to catch lunch before the restaurant closed at 2.30pm (we were given a A4 sheet with all the times and what was included in our all inc).
Unfortunately I'm always at a disadvantage abroad because I'm pescetarian (eat fish not meat) so I was prepared for there to be little choice for me. The food didn't seem to bad, salad and sauces, then hot food (some odd looking dishes but we were expecting that) and it was all clearly labelled in 4 different languages, desserts, then bread and soup. As we began to eat we noticed most of the staff were watching us.. each section of the hotel had a waiter and our was a young boy, he came to ask what drink we'd like and then bought it over, he then said "I really like you, you are English, so beautiful. Come for coffee with me?" I laughed and said "No thank you" he left us to eat, but carried on staring at us.
On our way out of lunch we got stopped by a man at a desk selling day trips, we gave him a chance to do his pitch and the trips on offer were fair priced but we weren't really there for that. We said no thank you and he didn't bother us the rest of the week.
We then unpacked etc and went back downstairs to get a drink at the bar, only 1 of 3 bars was open but that's to be expected out of season, we went to the bar to be greeted by yet more "coffee" proposals.. ok this is getting boring now! By the way bottled water is free from the bar.
We got our drink and sat down, you can smoke anywhere in the hotel so bare that in mind if you hate smokers :)
There was a little shop in reception selling the usual shampoo etc not too bad prices either, we went to reception to change up some money, (you can't change it up in England it has to be done there, most hotels do it on reception) we didn't have to show any I.D we just handed over the pounds and were given the Tunisian Dinar, we were told to do a little bit at a time as you can't take any Dinar back to England and it's virtually impossible to get it changed back into pounds.
We went to dinner, the staff were the same, they starred at us while we ate every breakfast lunch and dinner for the rest of the trip.
The weather was not as good as we had hoped so we spent A LOT of time in the hotel, we tried to go shopping and it was such a horrific task we gave up, men pulling you into their shops, standing in front of you so you can't leave and shouting at you down the street, this got so bad towards the end of the week that we stopped wearing anything remotely feminine and ended up in trousers and jumpers to see if that was put them off!
It was worse when out shopping that when in the hotel but they hotel staff seemed to get worse and worse over the week! Whenever we went to order drinks they would stare at us, tell us they loved us and wanted our mobile numbers and facebook names! It got so uncomfortable we spent a few evenings in our rooms.
We got asked by the hotel photographers if we wanted to have pictures taken and he sell them to us, again we said no thank you and he didn't bother us the rest of the week, we also got a approached by a man who worked for the hotel spa, he talked us through his packages and told us we got a discount for flying with Thomas cook, we agreed to book an afternoon for a good price of 100TD which is about £45.
We did end up making friends with the spa man, and two of the photographers, they said hi, loved to high five us! and occasionally sat with us to play cards, they were not creepy (yay).
Everybody in Tunisia spoke excellent English, so it wasn't too hard to feel comfortable around the guys we played cards with.
On the Saturday night the staff were setting up a stage in the bar area, and A LOT of people were arriving at the hotel, they seemed to me to be locals, when we tried to go for dinner, the cue was out the door of the restaurant and the food was running out fast!
All of the local women seemed to dislike any of the tourists there so we felt uncomfortable, we discovered that it was a band coming to play and as we were feeling uncomfortable with the hundreds of people that were turning up we decided to go to my friends room to read. The noise that started around 9pm was unreal, I've been to concerts that haven't been that loud, around 11.30pm I went to my room to try to sleep, well that was never going to happen, my room was in the main area of the extremely open plan hotel, I called my friend from my room and she could hear the horrendous noise down the phone! Luckily she had 2 beds in her room so I slept in there, you could still hear the noise but because she was down the hall it was reduced, this went on till way past 1am. We wouldn't have minded the noise if we had been told because then we would have prepared ourselves for the late night etc.
The afternoon in the spa was nice, we started off in the heated salt water pool, then went into a steam room for 20 minutes (a bit too long for me, but you can come out whenever you liked), we then got exfoliated by a woman, she asked us to pull our swimsuits down, which was insanely awkward, so if you plan on doing this, wear a bikini! we then went to a seating area and enjoyed a cup of green tea (the best green tea I've ever had!) then we got take to individual rooms with jacuzzi baths in, which was my favorite bit of the spa, we got left in there with honey and milk in our water, it was very nice. Then came the massage, my friend unfortunately got a male masseuse which made her feel uncomfortable, especially because once again they wanted our costumes down (it was a full body massage). After the incredibly tense massage, we were allowed to choose either the aromatherapy room or the sensory room, we chose the aromatherapy room which was a room of heated water beds, they were HEAVEN! We then left the spa of our own accord. Overall the spa was good but I would definitely wear a bikini next time!
Anyway time went on an the food situation got worse, as did the sleep, the rooms were all very noisy, I was kept awake most nights by footsteps on the ceiling or cupboards opening and tv noise from next door.
Our last day finally came (totally had enough by now).
We put our luggage in the luggage room of the hotel and they took our all inc bands off of us, we were worried because we didn't have any Dinar left to buy food, but we managed to wing it :P we got lunch and all the drinks we wanted.
We sat with the two photographers for most of the day and the man from the spa, they were being over friendly this time. One of them was moaning that he needed new headphones, bit of a weird conversation starter, then another one came over and practically sat on my bag! I left my friend and went to get our luggage out of the luggage room, (my hand luggage had my purse inside) a man from reception took me round to find the door was locked with two of the receptionists inside! I stood there for 5 mins, they were giggling and rummaging around in there, when they finally opened the door they looked very surprised to see me and shuffled out giggling. I took our bags back to where my friend was sitting and we sat there for another hour then left for the airport. When we arrived at the airport we discovered that all of my money had been taken £40 which is around 90TD, my friend had £20 stolen and my headphones where gone. Bad end to a bad holiday, worst of all we thought we could trust the guys we had made friends with, how stupid were we!
In conclusion, stay at the Lella Baya if you are a man, with no cash on you and like a bad nights sleep!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank VtorA
134Aymen, Responsable Image & Qualité at Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for publishing your feedback regarding your experience in our hotel, although we are sorry that your stay with us was not as we would have desired. We would like to inform you that we take note of each and every observation, complaint, suggest and comment made by guests, always with the aim of improving.

We look forward to see you soon in one of our hotels in Tunisia.

Vincci Lella Baya Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Reading some reviews its hard to believe I was in the same hotel. In my own opinion this was one of the best holidays I have had, and the hotel is up there with one of the best I have stayed in. From pulling up in the coach my first impressions was one of amazement, the outside view was very good. Could it get better, well yes. The inside view was stunning, something I have never seen before.

On arrival check in was simple and quick, porter took our bags to the room. Drink on arrival and reception staff very quick and helpful.

Room was a pool and sea view, and the views were very nice. Hotel room itself could not grumble at all. Clean and large room, petals on the bed and in the bathroom which was a nice touch.

Meals all day everyday were nice, normal food cooked nicely and a cook offering fresh pasta on a daily basis along with other specials like lamb kebabs. Also a lovely lady making bread every night. Very nice.

Hotel is situated in a nice area. Medina a few minutes walk if you fancy it, a couple of fixed price supermarkets which pretty much sell anything and the Yasmine Harbour just across the road which is worth it. Some nice places to sit down for a drink, Ice Cream or just a nice evening walk along the beach.

To round up very nice hotel, staff were very good from the Maids upwards. Very kind, helpful and polite. Especially our maid making some nice touches to our room on Valentines day with a towel made in to a heart shape with flower petals. The other half loved it.

Would recommend to friends and family, and will be going back for a re-visit without question. Really did not want to go home

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart E
SirineMallouli, Public Relations Manager at Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel VINCCI LELLA BAYA for your holiday and have taken some of your valuable time to send us these comments. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your confidence. we look forward to see you soon in one of our hotels in Tunisia.

VINCCI LELLA BAYA STAFF
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hi All, I think when I read through thebreviews I have read on here about this resort I do wonder what people were expecting. You pull up to the hotel for a complete WOW factor of the place, a sand castle hiding a white hotel. It has beauty both outside and internally - I took about a hundred photos of the different views inside.
So we went out of season (10th Feb 2013 for a week) and yes the weather was windy and a little cold. But the hotel staff were nothing but helpful, our room was a little cold the first night but the second we had what we would call a summer duvet on the bed (plenty to warm us up) and when we asked for extra pillows they were there before the morning was over.
On one day a light bulb blew in the bathroom, so I went to reception and in about 20 mins it was replaced and it didn't spoil of remotely affect our holiday.
The locals will tyr anythign to get you into the shops but we found that if you ignored them or repeated no thanks they got the message. We even turned it into a game to see how many nationalities they would guess before they got bored. TIP: turn your hotel wrist bands inside out - its a trick the locals use to get you inbto teir shops 'I work in your hotel' funny when you ask them which one and they can't see your wristband they give up.
Food: many have said it was cold at the hotel - I would say warm on many days and hot on others: they have a microwave so if you worried just zap it, and we were told by our rep if you ask they will get you hot food. They also have fresh food made to order such as pasta and other daily treats - these are always hot as an alternate to canteen style servery. Service in the resturant was great, ever meal a waiter came and took out drinks order and by the end of the week as we were creatures of habit knew what we wanted - same at the bar. I recommend their hot chocolates.
Locally - you must visit the harbour even if you only stop at the bar for a crepe or ice cream (highly recommended)
The hotel was clean and tidy (had a few surface marks such as cracks but who cares), all the toilets both in our room and the public areas were clean and our room was always immaculate after the maid had been. They even left a heart shaped towel with rose petels on it on our bed on Valentines day.
Overall we would reccommend and will definately go back. In the low season it is peaceful and quiet. I can imagine when the entertainment is in full swing in high season it gets a bit busy and loud. Hope this review helps, we were very happy with our holiday choice and reccommend if you fly Thomas Cook you go to the rep meeting as he has a lot of good tips and advice.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view ask for a sea view. But in the busy season this could be a noisier choice as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SirineMallouli, Public Relations Manager at Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Customer,

We would like to thank you for having chosen our Hotel VINCCI LELLA BAYA for your holiday and have taken some of your valuable time to send us these comments. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your confidence. . we look forward to see you soon in one of our hotels in Tunisia.

VINCCI LELLA BAYA STUFF
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt very unwelcome and uncomfortable. The airport staff were very rude and too busy chatting and staring at women. The travel was un-real by this we mean slow paced left to die in the middle of unknown country with no air-con. After a 5-6 hour delay by ‘Tunis air’ and the transport we finally arrived at the hotel to be greeted by a young man who said our room was ready. Once we arrived at our room the sheets were messy the floor was dirty and left over food/coke cans inside. We refused to stay in it and asked for it to be cleaned – make note that this is at 01:30am. We reported to reception where we were told to get some food at the restaurant which was ‘still open’. In Tunisia ‘still open’ mean closed. We were offered cold food from the previous night’s dinner still left out with juicy flies/bugs on it! After this we decided to go back to the room to see if it was clean and it wasn’t and the old sheets were still present to our delight. At this time we headed down to reception where we had asked to change rooms but apparently the hotel was full except one room which we looked at but was a lot worse!
As we weren’t getting anywhere with the situation we decided to go to bed in our ‘messy’ room and speak to the manager in the morning. Once we woke up and spoke to the manager about our troubles we were told it would be sorted out for us and he had apologised to us about the situation.
Apart from this the hotel itself smells of sick and weird food. The lifts are rubbish and the staff are very rude if you’re not from Tunisia. One night for dinner a cockroach was on my food and the breakfast bread had some sort of worm living in it. Overall the food at the hotel was absolute awful. The room cleaning staff walked in on us regardless of ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door multiple times.
The beach in front of the hotel is full of camel [--] and the water is black like death. Outside the hotel along the main tourist road smells of p*ss and you will not be able to get from one step to another without some random Tunisian man pestering you asking you almost forcing you in their shop. In our opinion the people outside the hotel are very unfriendly if you walk past ignoring them or refuse to come in their ‘lovely supermarket’.
Back to the hotel, the entertainment was okay shame the drinks tasted like the sea and all tasted the same. If you decide to go to this hotel then please re-think as you will regret unless you are looking for everything we have described then go for it!!
The best part about Tunisia is…Coming home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jamie C
Dear guest,

We look forward to see you soon in one of our hotels in Tunisia.

Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Having recently returned from our 14 nights holiday at the Lella Baya hotel on A/I I am sending in this revue.
The first impression of the hotel when we arrived was one of awe, The inside of the hotel was amazing and the marble floor shone,The booking in process was good and the receptionist was very polite and friendly.
The bell-boy took us up to our room on the 4th floor,
and the room was nice and clean with a fantastic view, everything was looking good.
the dining room seemed clean and well ordered, the waiters were attentive, but the experience was let down by the food.
The food was only just luke warm,even as soon as the meal was ready to be served, the hotel were aware that there was a problem with this as they supplied a microwave so that you could sellect your food and then warm it up yourself, but instead of the microwave they should have fixed the problem,either faccilities or staff.
The bar staff were friendly and helpfull and attentive.
The hotels beach was filthy, but if you wanted to use the beach you just had to walk down the prom past 2 hotels and you were on a very nice & clean beach.
Whenever you went out of the hotel you were constantly accosted by someone trying to either sell you something or to take you somewhere,Their ruse to befriend you is to say that they are the Waiter/chef or barman from your hotel, going by how many of these characters allegdly worked at our hotel the place must be swarming with staff, our way of dealing with these people was to turn our A/I wrist band inside out and then when they said that they work in our hotel we would ask "which hotel is that then" It threw them straight away.
although when we went there were not many guests so we were pretty well looked after, except at the week-end when the hotel was taken over by locals, many of whome acted like animals in the dining room,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Andy T
Enrique-Martin, Enrique Martín, Resident Manager at Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
To our esteemed guest:
Thank you for choosing Vincci Lella Baya for your holidays in Hammamet. We appreciate your comments. We will pass along your praise to the hotel’s entire staff. That you had a good experience at our hotel is our greatest pleasure, and it’s the reason why we work so hard every day.
We hope to see you again soon at our hotel.
Kindest regards.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is a full smoking hotel, so if you are a heavy smoker this hotel is perfect for you. Brown, cold shower water, blocked bath tub, mold on the wall, pigeon poo on the balcony, greasy windows and mirrors... the bed was comfortable on a positive note. Hotel staff was not much interested in my concerns although they said they would get things sorted and wrote all of it down - none of it was done even after asking three days in a row. Their emergency exit ends in a dead end with what seems the remainders of bits that have caught fire... chairs, mattresses, ... Check where you are and were you would have to go if need to be.They charge for the use of their gym which is as small as the theater ticket sales boxes on the high street of London plus it is very much dated. If you wish to stay fit, go for a run along the beach. The food was average and did not blow me away. Some of the meals were not labeled. I am a veggie and the only time I had to send food back was when I discovered that a non labeled dish turned out to be meaty. I don't think I'll ever go back to Tunisia or stay at any of the Vincci hotel anywhere else in the world based on the experience I had for the 7 days back in October 2012.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious from the ones I did see. The quieter rooms are the ones further away from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Trip2Africa2012
Dear guest,
We would like to clarify that our emergency exits are in perfect conditions, as indicated by law. We respect all the safety procedures at the highest level.
Our aim is the full satisfaction of our guests and with this in mind we remain at your disposal for whatever you may need.
Warmest regards.
essex, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent 1 week at the end of November at this hotel. The weather was amazing. The hotel was very average. We had our suitcases taken up to our room which was nice. The room was Ok. Our view was amazing, looking out straight onto the beach. We had room 424. The bed was pretty stiff though! We did find cockroach in our bathroom (see picture). Other than that the room was perfectly fine and the maid done a good job cleaning daily.

The rest of the hotel was really nice. Has so much character to it.

The food available is pretty poor. Not much choice at all. We found ourselves having the same thing for lunch and dinner pretty much everyday. It was cold too, i would recommend the fresh pasta that they cook in front of you. The whole restaurant area needs a good refurbish, grubby chairs, unclean walls and dirty windows. The staff are very friendly and the actual service was very good.

The bar area is very nice and the bar staff very good. Cocktails are good but tasted all the same! We went all inclusive, and asked for our cocktails in the beer glasses as you get alot more and dont have to keep going up to the bar! You can use the shisha pipes and sit in the bar area smoking one for an extra 10dinar. The pool was amazing, it was very cold though but didnt expect it to be warm for that time of the year.

We tried using the gym but was ushered out after being told you have to pay extra. There is nothing to do of an evening, the entertainment is rubbish. All the staff are very pushy for a tip, which makes the service feel very unnatural. Our maid kept telling us her day off, hoping for a tip before we left. We didn't tip her.

Overall is was a pleasant experience, good for money, good for a cheap bit of sun, would not recommend for a main holiday.

Room Tip: We had room 424 and the balcony was one of the bigger ones compared to our neighbours.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ike A
Enrique-Martin, Enrique Martín, Resident Manager at Lella Baya & Thalasso Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your opinions and comments regarding your experience with us. We are pleased to know that you found our hotel pleasant and that our staff and rooms met your expectations. That you had a good experience with us is our greatest reward and what motivates us to continue working hard so that our guest´s experience in our hotels is pleasant and enjoyable.
We regret, however, that you were not happy with some details and want you to know that we will keep in mind your feedback with the goal of improving our service in the future. We work to satisfy our guests and their opinions are what always guide us in doing so.
Warmest regards,