All reviewsinfinity poolhalf boardmain restaurantomelettepancakesbeach is lovelyvisited this hotelgreat funhotel groundssinbadfrenchtunisianyasminetipwaitersshop
Reviewed October 22, 2009

We booked the Sindbad through Travel Republic and were impressed by the way the package is put together. You are given a choice of flights and can opt for transfers- when you get to the airport people will approach you and check if you are on their list for the hotel transfer.

Our room was beautiful, recently renovated with cream and neutral colours, lovely big bed, patio with table and chairs, good sized wardrobe, dressing table, and a good bathroom with separate shower and bath. No faults at all, clean, smart, lots of toiletries and cotton buds, shower cap, nail file etc.

The hotel is a lot bigger and better than the website can demonstrate, it really needs updating, but maybe they don’t need the extra business as the hotel was very busy. Guests are mainly European, and middle aged although there were a few younger couples like us.

There is a main bar with some entertainment (quite funny as people get up to dance after a few drinks!) with lots of sofas and comfortable chairs. There is also a lot of seating outside although as we were there mid October it was a little chilly on some nights so we stayed inside. The pool bar down by the beach is absolutely gorgeous at night, all lit up and very smart and chic. Staff in both are fantastic, as were all of the staff in the hotel. I know some people have commented that the staff are rude or require tipping, however I think you get back what you put in on holiday and my boyfriend and I always enjoy getting to know the staff we are staying with as it is enjoyable for us. That’s my view anyway, and I found everyone so accommodating. We did tip the staff because we found the service excellent.

I used the spa and it was lovely- but went on my last day and was gutted. If I had known it was so good earlier I would have gone at the start but I read a review on here that put me off- just goes to show everyone has different opinions on things and one person’s experience is different to somebody else’s.

The food in the main restaurant can be a bit hit and miss, however there are several different restaurants so you could book bed and breakfast only and then choose where you eat. The staff will also readily change a dish if you order something that you don’t like. I would recommend half board as we ate out of the restaurant and I got food poisoning on that day! Not a nice experience.

The beach is clean and beautiful and the time just flies by, we had a much lazier holiday than we normally would. The beach staff serve you at your lounger and you can have lunch at the beach too, fabulous. The sea is clean, clear, no rocks, probably one of the best beaches I have been to, far better than Barbados in my opinion.

I would not really recommend the Medina, not because of the haggling but to be completely honest because everything for sale is pretty much a load of rubbish. I know that sounds horrible but it is the truth. If there were some decent shops in the area they would make a lot of money. Definitely a gap in the market!

We took a trip to El Jem on the train. Take a taxi to Bir Bou Regba and get the train, £10 return ticket air conditioned, very comfortable, and 1.5 hours to get there, faster than a car or coach and lots cheaper! But don’t eat outside of the hotel- I know it sounds paranoid but I have travelled relatively extensively and I think Tunisia is one of the dirtiest countries I have been to. In the hotel you are very protected from it, but if you are ill you will really suffer.

We had an incident during our stay resulting in a trip to A&E and the staff at the reception were absolutely outstanding and so caring and helpful. Amazing service.

Tips for people thinking about coming here, firstly book it as it is a lovely hotel, with great staff, and fantastic facilities. Take travellers cheques so that you can change them at the reception and then anything you don’t use you can change at home (you can’t take currency outside of Tunisia). Go up to September but not October as the weather is changeable, we had rain on several days which was a shame.

It was a pity that our stay was ruined a little by food poisoning and the A&E trip however aside from that a fabulous hotel, definitely worth a return trip in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tangledlady
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The room was large, clean and the bathroom was nice. However, the bed frame contained two single mattresses side- by-side. There is a safe in the room for free. The food on the private beach and at the bar next to the infinity pool was affordable and good. The breakfast buffet included in the hotel price was standard but includes omelettes and crepes made on the spot.

We did a package at the spa and it was also affordable but that is partly because we exchanged our money at the front desk of the hotel (the exchange rate is very good).

The service staff speak bits of several languages (French, German, and English), but you often have to repeat yourself and sometimes they still don't understand what you have asked for. The service personnel are ok, but not overly friendly. In particular the doormen, etc. don't care about your stay... they care about tips. The service is 3-star, but the facilities are quite nice.

Also - I heard that it would have been cheaper to book a shuttle from the airport ahead of time, as a cab is approx £50. It's about an hour drive from the airport to the hotel.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Just came back from a week in Hammamet, the general overview.
Positives:
- Hotel is clean, well-staffed with a good kitchen - go for the half board option.
- Location is in "old Hammamet", plenty or places to eat nearby but not much to do in terms of nightlife.
- Hotel has a stretch of 100m of private beach, this is both clean and well-staffed, again.
-Was told by locals that this has historically been one of the premier hotels in the resort, with supposedly the best kitchen.

Negatives:
-Transfers from Monastir takes approx 90mins, probably shorter from Tunis
-Maybe seasonal, but hotel has an "older"/more conservative feel, maybe due to the fact its more expensive than other hotels so attracts an older crows. (might be a positive for you?)

Tips:
-Hammamet is split into two areas a) Hammamet "centre-du-ville" is the old town, with a picturesque medina, plenty of places to eat and tourist shops. b) Hammamet Yasmine, is the new purpose-built tourist centre, this is less than 10yo and designed with tourism in mind. While there seems a bit more to do here, it is v. artificial and feels like resort.
-Change currency in Tunisia, the currency is v. illiquid outside the country. Get a better rate there.,(the airport rate, on arrival, was suprising one of the best we saw)
-Prices in (TND): Quad Biking (40), Jet Ski (35) - always shop around as we were initially quoted 60 for the quads.
-Strong continental feel to the hotel, with other guests primarily french, german and italian.

Overall this is a good location for a chilled beach holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tripman234
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Myself and my husband did a tour of Tunisia with Cosmos and on the second week we stayed at the Sinbad for a week. I had read the reviews on this hotel and felt happy about staying there. I really dont know how anyone could rate this hotel. It would seem to me that the people that rated it as a great place cannot have travelled and stayed at nice hotels. Im our honest opinion we would rate this hotel as a 2 stay. The pools were great as was the beach but the reception was not very welcoming and very grim. In all fairness the rooms were OK but the corridoors leading to all the rooms was like waling through a shed.Dont let me put you off this place as the food was excellent and staff friendly but the place was very depressing and we would not return there and would not recommend it to our worst enemy. There is nothing to do outside of the hotel .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2009

we have just had the best holiday at this great hotel. the service was excellent as was the food. the the beach was fantastic and very clean. we ate at most of the resturants and we had great value for money.our room was spotless the whole week. the staff were very friendly and made us fell very welcome. the breakfast selcetion was the best we have ever had at a hotel. cant waite to go back next yearalready counting the weeks.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple