All reviews infinity pool half board main restaurant omelette pancakes beach is lovely visited this hotel great fun hotel grounds sinbad french tunisian yasmine tip waiters shop
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I loved this hotel and stayed here with my young family. It has a real cosmopolitan vibe about it, the food at Les Villiers is really good for lunch and breaks up the monotony of half board buffet.

There are not many English staying here which is a blessing and makes a really chilled out break. The hotel is great to 'kick back' and relax and the sea is crystal clear and beach extremely clean.

Where the Sindbad needs to improve and become true 5* is to change the lumpy pillows, provide bigger beach towels and provide more sunbeds round the pool areas.

In all, we have had a very pleasant and relaxing stay at the Sindbad, they accommodated my request for an interconnecting room and therefore we had a huge room with our 2 children.

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 184 and 185 which interconnected and were super quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Katef1978
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I spent a weekend here with my family. The staff was really very friendly, the hotel is nice and human-sized, the room is spacious and clean, the bed is large, the beach is not bad even if umbrellas are too close to each other for my taste. The terrace of the room was not usable because there were eucalyptus leaves and seeds. The pool area overlooking the beach is not as nice and too small. What I really did not like was the food, which I found poor for a 4 star hotel. I would also not recommended the hotel for families with children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ExoTravel
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was very disappointed with my stay. I felt I was totally being ignored all the time. Was it because I was travelling alone and a woman? 5star to me means good accommodation, food, facilities and service. None of this I received at the Sinbad. Having to share the beach and other facilities with non residents is just not acceptable as a 5star hotel. I would hasten to add here that I am a regular traveller visiting Egypt, Jordan, Kenya etc and have never felt this let down before. I'm afraid I could not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My only advice is ask for a suite if you can stretch your budget.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Linda I
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I’ve been in Tunisia for a few weeks now, initially working and now enjoying a few days holiday. We travelled to Hammamet from Tunis in a taxi driven by someone with F1 aspirations - driving in Tunisia really is among the worst I’ve ever experienced and is NOT for the faint hearted! We paid 160 TD (£65 GBP) which was too much but shop around and you should be able to do the same journey for less.

The Sindbad is rated 5* but in european terms it’s 4* and the service as with all hotels in Tunisia is hit or miss. Nothing happens quickly in Tunisia and you either accept this or it’ll frustrate you no end. Tunisian’s are on the whole a friendly bunch but service everywhere is generally very bad and they can be extremely pushy and in your face.

Most reviews of the hotel are fairly accurate, rooms are not the biggest but they are nicely decorated and have a cosy, homely feel to them. The hotel rooms are spread out and offer a welcome change from most of the big package holiday hotels that are found throughout Hammamet.

Air con worked well and was reasonably quiet; bed was big and not too hard BUT get some decent pillows please, as the ours were lumpy and very uncomfortable. I ended up using the cushions as they were much softer.

Wi Fi was sporadic - we lost our connection constantly and this was frustrating as we had some work to do while here. It would appear that internet connectivity and speed throughout Tunisia is quite poor.

The hotel has a good reasonably priced laundry service - worth noting you will need to pay to have any clothes ironed as they do not offer irons to guests.

Rooms have a small mini bar but you’ll be charged for water which seems mean - best to buy your own from the supermarket which is only 5 minutes walk away. Come out of the front of the hotel and turn right...not the first road, but the main road which is ahead and to the left of the entrance.

All the rooms have tiled floors and it’s impossible to move any chair without making a huge amount of noise. It’s a simple fix, put felt or rubber onto the chair legs and this would make the entire hotel a much quieter place. This would be especially beneficial in the restaurant as this gets extremely noisy with people constantly moving their chairs!

Dining - breakfast was decent enough with a reasonable selection. Most Tunisian hotels offer almost identical breakfasts. We booked half board and dinner was a buffet affair with a decent selection and the quality was good. The hotel has several other restaurants and they will offer you a 10 TD discount if you wish to eat in these as opposed to the main buffet restaurant.

Spa - we booked a spa package, but the massages were not the best. A bit mechanical and you may be able to find much better elsewhere.

Pool - there are three to choose from. One indoor, one under the spa, one behind reception which was always empty and the main pool down beside the beach. This was a lovely infinity pool but it was very busy and noisy with screaming kids so you wont find tranquility here. The hotel offers loungers on the beach and this offers a slightly quieter option.

At night the pool area is the main nightlife hub and it attracts a cosmopolitan crowd and would not be out of place in the south of France. This really is a lovely spot to spend an evening - wine prices started at around 30 TD and I can highly recommend Tunisian wine especially Magon which was superb. Named spirits such as Gordon’s gin are VERY expensive in Tunisia so remember to take in duty free. A Gordon’s G&T will set you back approximately 23 TD (£9 GBP).

Overall, for the money, the Sindbad is very good. It has an air of peace and tranquility and offers an alternative many of the characterless chain hotels.

What makes a good hotel a great hotel? The devil is in the detail, it’s the little personal touches and the feeling that your custom is valued. I didn’t find that here or indeed in any of the hotels I stayed at in Tunisia.

Tourism business is down in Tunisia and if they are to win back the confidence of international travelers, this country really needs try a LOT harder.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms too near the main pool as this can be a noisy area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ScottMBrown
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Extremely clean and tidy hotel, really friendly staff, wonderful food.Good central location if you like the more touristy type of areas. Safe to walk around even at night. Good bars in hotel especially the pool bar which is frequented by many local people with a great atmosphere and no drunks

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple