“Nice hotel with problems”
Review of The Sindbad

The Sindbad
Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Mannheim
“Nice hotel with problems”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel is located very nicely on the beach, by this I mean there are no big hotels to the left or right and you are 'alone'. The problem is you can not leave the property as it is very dirty around the hotel and during the night there are no lamps so you could take a walk.

This hotel is a beach club and therefore the club members are treated with priority which means they will get the best places at the beach, pool, restaurant and bar. Furthermore the club members are very loud.

Complaints to the management are not being listened to.

The hotel is actually quite nice, but no option for us in the future and therefore I can not recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week at The Sindbad. The hotel is a collection of two story buildings spread out in a sort of village complex which has a rustic charm unlike the modern hotels in nearby Yasmine Hammamet. It's set in mature gardens which are very well maintained. Infact there seemed to always be a maintance man working on something in the grounds, which was a bit of a distraction but we were there in late season. It also has access directly onto the prestine beach (not true in other parts of the resort where the beaches seemed to be fairly dirty) with the bonus of complementary sunbeds and beach towels.

Room
Our room was very nice in the tiled style expected for the region with a 'partial' sea view from the terrace. It was kept extremely clean and the attention to detail from the maid was a particular highlight - folding nightware decoratively and spreading fresh flowers on the bed. The room had a main area with the bed and a small living area with sofa and TV, the bathroom off a short open corridor had a high standard of fitting. The sink was very slow to drain when we arrived but this was fixed the day after before we'd even mentioned it. The room also had a mini bar (no more expensive than the hotel bar), safe and air con.

Taxies
We were on a bed and breakfast package so ventured out to Hammamet medina for meals on most evenings - the most we paid was 6DN and the least was 2DN (£0.80, €1). Given the low cost it didn't really feel worth haggling but always confirm the price before setting off. We had a nasty experience with one who took us to the Aqua park only it to find it shut, the price for that was agreed at 6DN but the diversion to an alternatice water park (part of the CarthageLand Theme park in Yasmin Hammamet) was not, and the price rocketed to 25DN for a journey which relative to the first should have been 15DN max. Luckily my Boyfriend is 6'5" and the taxi driver didn't want to argue when we gave him 20DN and got out - but we always agreed prices after that.

'Waiter from your hotel'
On our first trip away from the hotel into Hammamet we were found by someone claiming to be a waiter from our hotel - obviously suspious we asked which hotel and he couldn't answer. It became a regular thing for someone to approach us with "Hello, I think you don't remember me, i am a waiter from your hotel!" Obviously this would lead to some request for money but was so frequent it became laughable that anyone could fall for it - however in case the first one catches you off guard be warned! Also be wary of the hard sell - once you're in the tourist shops it's hard to get out unless you get forceful.

Pool Bar
The infinity pool is surrounded by the 'pool bar'. It's a lovely setting but it's also the most expensive bar in the hotel - despite the staff there being poor. There are locals who visit the bar that the staff seem far more concerned about and take a long time getting round to anyone else. They also seemed to cheat me on the price of a plate of chips - they wouldn't show me a menu or produce a receipt - but charged 9DN which would be enough for several plates elsewhere. This was probably because i was a girl on my own at the time. I would visit the pool and also have drink (the drinks come with snacks which makes up for the inflated price) but don't eat there and be suspious of the waiter with the thick glasses and balding slicked back hair!!

Restaurants
There are four restaurants. We ate in both the a la carte restaurants open in the evenings. There is also one open during the day near the beach that we didn't eat in but the waiter service for the beach is based from there which we used for drinks - which was ok. The Thai restaurant was nice but the European/Tunisian restaurant was far better - they are priced higher than those in the towns but still reasonable for what you get. Outside the hotel I would recommend barberousse which is set atop the walls of the medina in Hammamet - this is also expensive relative to the other restaurants but very nice in a charming setting. It's a bit hard to find the door to as it's down an alley but i'm sure a 'waiter from your hotel' can direct you.

Breakfast
The Breakfast buffet was decent with the usual continental spread and a cook making omlettes and crepes to order. The waiters working on breakfast are a bit slow to reset the tables ready for new diners - the best tactic is to sit at a cleared table and wave them down for cutlery. We didn't have the buffet dinner available on half board but i imagine decent would be a fair description of that also - there are more tables assigned for Dinner so i imagine the waiters aren't an issue.

Reception
The reception staff were very helpful - especially when on our last day our transfer was 30min late (sourced from a 3rd party - not the hotel) and they chased them down for us. The reception also offer foreign exchange at decent rates - the Dinar being a closed currency was not a problem as a result as we took £'s and converted them as we needed.

Overall a very enjoyable and relaxing holiday - we'd go again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Niamh M
Helsingborg
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Beautiful beach and pool (especially one), nice rooms, ok location, good food, the fitness room was surprisingly good, nice spa, etc.
But..
Secure you count the minibar and keep track yourself..
Another experience was that when checking in I was told that dinner was included in my booking. I was a bit surprised but had done a last minute booking so had been a bit quick. To be sure I went back to the reception the next day to ask if dinner was really included (since the plan was to loose a few pounds on the trip so was not only happy about that it was included). The answer was yes.
On the 5th evening (I had had dinner 3 nights) I was asked to go to the reception.and they tell me that the dinner was not included in my reservation and asked me to pay for it. In general no big problem - mistakes happens. But was really pissed me off was that they claimed I had been told that it was not included. They claimed that I had been told when checking in, that the restaurant had told me etc.etc.

Total lies and completly pissed me off.

So unnecessary to in this way ruin a lovely week by not being honest to hotel guests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Eva A
Fareham
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just returned from a week (15-22 Sep) at The Sindbad Hotel in Hammamet, Tunisia and really couldn't fault it. Apparently it's one of the oldest hotels in the area which explains why the architecture is more bungalow style than typical high-rise and the refurbishmentshave cleraly been tastefully done.

it is stylishly finished in all areas from reception to the restaurants, the rooms to the outside areas. Everywhere is very clean and our room was absolutely spotless.

All the staff we encountered were fluent in both English and German, in addition to their native Arabic and French. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone really did seem to genuinely care that we had a good stay.

We stayed half board and found the food to be excellent - wide variety of choice for both breakfasts and dinners with some recognisable dishes and lots of local options to try too.

The pools were absolutely lovely and generally very quiet. On serveral occasions we were the only people using any of them. We did try all 3 and all were equally enjoyable. We didn't try the spa but did have a quick look around and it certainly seemed up to the excellent standard of the rest of the hotel.

The pool bar is utterly gorgeous, especially at night - the pictures simply don't do justice to this area.

The beach is stunning - beautiful golden sand and very clean. The staff even rake the beach daily! We used the beach most days and didn't have any problems with finding a space. At times it did take a few minutes to attract the attention of the staff but this was because they were assisting other guests; a perfectly valid reason is my book. The staff will move the loungers and cushions to the area you choose and towels are provided on asking. (Towels are also available at the indoor/outdoor pools but you have to ask at the beach if you want them for using the infinity pool).

Housekeeping standards were excellent and the personal touch really came across in the daily floral decorations laid out on the bed. The double room has a bed which is approximately 6'6" square (!!) and did have quite a firm mattress but I certainly wouldn't consider it too firm (as others have commented). I would compare it to a 4/5 by UK mattress firmness ratings.

The location is ideal for what we wanted; a quiet relaxing trip. We did walk along the beach to Hammamet which was enjoyable but there really isn't a lot else within walking distance however there are lots of transport options available if you do want to go out and explore; taxis, bus, noddy train etc. You can also arrange trips from the brochures provided at the hotel.

Overall, The Sindbad fully deserves the 5 star rating and really does have the personal touch. We will definitely return.

1 Thank Ruth H
Drogheda
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We are a couple who stayed at this hotel couple of days ago. First of all, we really had a good time at the hotel, and in hammamet. We arrived very early in the morning at the Enfidha airport. The plane was delayed for about 1 hour but our driver was there and waiting. took about 45 mins to travel to the hotel. Once arrived, check in was very smooth. just had to fill in a card and we got our key.

Room was SPACIOUS and very nice, had a safe, AC, huge bathroom, filled mini bar, just to name a few. Housekeeping does an amazing job. room always spotless, can't complain!

Food was good. We do really recommend to try the Thai Restaurant.

Staff?? hmmm. To be completely honest, my gf and I, we both have mixed feelings about the staff of the hotel. Before i say anything else, I must thank that waiter in the Thai restaurant. He was excellent, very welcoming, and always a smile on his face.
Some of the staff are very genuine and welcoming but others have an iron face and don't even smile! Service is great from genuine staffs but poor overall.
Prime example, we went to the pool bar 1 night, 4 staffs on. 1 was attending a guest while 3 others were in the back glass store, chatting, smoking, playing with mobile, and all this time there was couple at the bar waiting for service!!!!

It seems that management doesn't really keeps an eye on the staff- they smoke WHENEVER and WHEREVER they want and then attend guests with the smoky breath!!

In Summary, Hotel is very nice. Staff not so good overall.
Would I recommend the hotel? yes.
Would I go back again? Maybe.

cambridge
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the fourth time I have stayed at this hotel always on a bed and breakfast basis, as I like to go out and try the local restaurants. I think to return to a hotel once but four times is recommendation enough. The hotel room is spotlessly clean and bed linen also. Food and choice at breakfast is good. Altogether a very professionally run hotel. As a traveller who visits the far East every year and there hotels are first class this is a close second.

Room Tip: Ground floor partial sea view
2 Thank seancambridge
North of Scotland
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I spent 10 days at the Sindbad Hotel in early September. Yes, it has an unassuming entrance in comparison to some hotels in the area, but it offers quality food and a really good standard of accommodation. It was also good not to be in what I call a mega hotel....this one still has the personal touch .I was on a bed and breakfast tariff - the evening meals were varied (even though where you sat wasn't). I found the starters a bit uninspiring after a while, but the rest of the food was fine and the overall cost was good, including a glass of wine. I'm not much of a breakfast person but it was good - I liked the boiled eggs identified as 3 mins or 5 mins.....- I think some might have got mixed up!!! I didn't use the spa, so can't comment but the beach is fabulous.....and the service provided there is great - no need to get up to order a drink or eats.
The room quality was fine - I liked the choice of a bath/shower or a shower - the quality of housekeeping was excellent (my room maid set out an artistic display of local flowers on my bed each day). I do agree that the standard of the balcony chairs could improve - mine were a bit lumpy but I didn't spend that much time on the balcony! If I had any questions, the staff there could answer them and were extremely helpful. All in all, would I go back??? After two weeks back at work in the UK, that's a no brainer!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo