All reviewsinfinity poolhalf boardmain restaurantomelettepancakesbeach is lovelyvisited this hotelgreat funhotel groundssinbadfrenchtunisianyasminetipwaitersshop
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have just returned from this hotel and had read the reviews before I left and was somewhat anxious. In fact I found it to be a lovely hotel. Much better location than most and near the old town. The newer town Yasmine Hammamet is a bit tacky and soulless. We arrived just as Ramadan was starting and it was clearly a taxing personal time for some but with one exception - late delivery of a meal - the service was generally very good and the staff lovely. The rooms even the 'singles' are very well laid out double rooms with very large beds. The double rooms all have kingsize beds. The rooms are very tasteful and noise didn't seem to travel so it was a restful quiet place to be. The pool bar and infinity pool are gorgeous and the pics do not do it justice it's a really lovely space.The evening buffet at the pool although expensive is to be recommended. The beach is really nice and the staff servicing the actual beach restaurant are really excellent, fast efficient and friendly and its a hot and difficult environment to constantly negotiate, especially as they were without food or water during the day.The pizzas are excellent especially the Vegetarian.Two gripes - getting a hot coffee at breakfast is hard work.Waiters walking around with coffee pots that go cold quickly.(Room service however is excellent and coffee was piping hot). Phone signal wasn't guaranteed except in reception but varied depending where you were in the grounds. I would thoroughly recommend the hotel it was an easy comfortable and satisfying environment to be in and it would have been easy not to leave the hotel at all. One other restaurant I would highly recommend is the Lebanese in Yasmine Hammamet which is really good. One real problem in Tunisia are the taxis.There are rarely working seat belts and drivers seem to make a phone call on their mobiles as soon as you get in cab and as no automatic gears, at times it was 'no hands ' driving. Terrifying. Also women are often 'ogled' in a really unsavoury way and as I was accompanied by teenage girls, on more than one occasion I read the riot act to men overstepping the line. I booked through Low Cost holidays and they couldn't have been more efficient or helpful. One other gripe we hired the mini bus twice. Lovely drivers but the interior, the upholstery and facias were really grubby and stale smelling - surprising for a 5 star hotel. Other than those things I would highly recommend the hotel.I think it was one of the best with selling points being location,bedrooms and the ease from room to beach to pool etc and lovely staff.

Room Tip: We were a large group with several rooms in different parts of hotel and we were all very satisfied with them.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marian l
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The interior of the room was really nice, it was clean and fairly modern, really comfy beds and a fantastic shower and separate bath. However they seriously need to upgrade the furniture on the terraces - possibly the most uncomfortable plastic chairs I have ever experienced! Loungers would be more appropriate. Maybe this is deliberate to encourage people to spend money in the bars rather than sitting on their terrace...

Similar to a previous reviewer's comments, our rooms was sold as 'Garden View' but actually backed onto the backdoor of a kitchen, where staff were coming out to smoke, and right next to a noisy main road. The terraces are all in a row with no privacy dividers, which felt a bit strange. Some of the rooms in different blocks looked like they had a better terrace, maybe it's pot luck.

Service, at best, was friendly but inefficient. At worst, it was completely indifferent. My email before arriving about an airport transfer was never answered. Questions to reception staff were mainly met with shrugs. The lads on the beach were eager to help during the week when business was quiet and they were fishing for tips, but on the weekend when the locals filled the beach, pool and bar, it took over an hour to get a towel and even longer to get a drink. A few of them also told us that it was impossible to charge our lunch to the room (even though we had done it the day before) because they wanted us to pay in cash so they got a bigger tip. Beware: You must ask for change if you want it. Otherwise they will just pocket it, even if it comes to 50% of the bill! Even when we asked for change one day, he didn't give us the full amount> I find this extremely rude, as I'd rather decide how much to give rather than having him decide for me! Some serious improvement to service needed.

The pool bar is beautiful but a bit confusing. There is a sign saying 'members only' so this is not clear whether it means hotel guests. It was empty all week but busy at the weekends with locals. Be prepared for the VERY loud music at this time. At the weekend the local families come into the hotel from the beach to use the showers, leaving sand and wet toilet paper all over the floor. The staff also barricade the entrance to the pool bar (this is also the route back to the rooms) with chairs every afternoon, so to get to your room from the beach, you have to walk through the restaurant in your wet clothes. Not ideal.

The stretch of beach in front of the hotel is beautiful and cleaned every day. There is a safe, marked swimming area. The sand is soft and the water is relatively free of seaweed. Beach vendors do come past, but they are no trouble at all. Further up the beach in either direction it is much dirtier and full of litter. There are lots of derelict buildings covered in graffiti. I wouldn't advise walking on the beach in the evening.

Food:
Breakfast is great, if you can find anyone to get some coffee! A good selection of hot and cold food, waffles/omelettes/pancakes cooked to order, fresh smoothies. They even served pork, which I found surprising.
The main restaurant for dinner is canteen-style. The buffet nights are better than the set menu, which we found very bland. The atmosphere is quite soulless, but the service is friendly.
We ate in the Chiraz restaurant a couple of times, which was excellent.
The seafood restaurant on the beach is also great, and very reasonable.

The singer and keyboardist who performed each night did a great job, singing in English, French and Arabic, and didn't feel at all intrusive as hotel bands often are.

On the whole, the hotel was nice, but I wouldn't go back because the attitude and service really wasn't up to scratch for a 5 (or even 3) star hotel. The area of Hammamet is very run down and there's not much in the local area to do except sit on the beach.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to be pot luck, so ask to see your room before you decide. some are close to the busy main road, and look out onto the back of kitchens and AC vents
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fi_earthling
Reviewed July 24, 2012

GOOD: On my opinion this is the best hotel in Hammamet. They have nice restaurants, especially the one by the pool behind the reception. Food is very tasty and atmosphere in the evening is wonderfull with the life music and candlit dinner. Also they have a nice restaurant by the beach for lunch with the nice seafood choice. Beach is clean and the water in the sea is wonderfull.

BAD: There is a problem to get a towel on the beach or by the pool, there is no a proper system, so it is took us a while to find somebody from the stuff to get a towel, the same when we need to return towel. There were nobody to take care of this.But owerall, for Tunisian standards of service all went pretty good.

Room Tip: Better to book rooms with the seaview, the view is stunning. All rooms have a terrace, either garden view or seaview.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VSQVSQ22
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Quite a good location, nice beach. The rooms are a little bit outdated. The hotel rules don't allow to bring any drinks or food to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Igor_Munich
Reviewed June 13, 2012

For me, one of the best things about the Sinbad is that its not located in Hammamets hideous touristic zone. Its in Hammamet Sud which is about a kilometre from Hammamet town. Its right on the beach but strangely few rooms actually have a sea view. Most are set around a labrynth like maze of courtyards. Or room was really nice, stylishly decorated and very clean, with a large bathroom with two showers , bathrobes and lots of freeby toiletries. It has a feel of being a step up from a standard package tour hotel. If anything let it down it was the view from our balcony which was described as garden view but instead mainly afforded a view of the elaborate piping of what I assume was the A\C system of the neighbouring block. If anything I don't think the hotel makes enough of its prime beach front location- in most rooms you probably wouldnt know you're ven near the sea.

There are a number of restaurants and two pools though one seemed to belong to a private club. The beach in front of the hotel was nice, with clear sea and white sand. All the staff wear uniform and they seem to be aiming for the feel of an exlcusive resort and largely, the Sinbad succeeds with this.The price was around £80 and I felt this was probably fair , though this may depend on the room you get. As a 'walk in' guest, I'd ask to be shown some room options before making a decision.

The hotel was around a mile from Hammamet town and we paid 2 Diram in on a night in a taxi (though we were first quoted 10 when a taxi driver saw us emerge from the hotel). The town was quiet and it seems that most visitors are probably holed up in their all inclusive resorts of an evening.

The staff seemed friendly enough and were efficient in our dealings with them. In summary- Ok for a package tour style resort and in my opinion better than staying in the tourist ghetto down the road.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple