“Will Return”

Hotel Manar
Ranked #1 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed December 2, 2012

HOTEL IN GENERAL
Almost all staff were extremely friendly and helpful (particularly after tipping a dinar). All communal areas appeared to be maintained and cleaned regularly. There are frequently First Choice reps at hand in the lobby area.
The reception can change your money into Dinars at the Governent rate. But they cannot exchange it back, you will have to do that at the airport at lower rates, so only change as much as you need.
BARS
We used the lobby bar in the evening mainly, where there was a decent selection of cocktails and some cute steps for the kids to access the bar themselves. The lobby area is vast with a large number of comfy chairs to sit at. Outside there are some tables and chairs. The only downside is that all of the smokers contaminate the fresh air.
The pool bar was convenient for our day time drinks and if you only wanted water you could get a 1.5 litre bottle and store it in your room fridge if you wished.
Of course, alcoholic drinks are not the same as at home. I do like nice beer, lager and wine and the drinks were nothing like those, as expected. However, I was perfectly happy with the taste of all of the drinks considering we were abroad.
FOOD
Again, I like good quality food. As with any hotel buffet service, do not expect the same standard of food as you would get if you ordered fresh from a restaurant. For an all-inclusive buffet arrangement, the Holiday Village excels in this area. There was a huge choice of food for every meal and food that was supposed to be hot, was hot. At lunchtime, one of the chefs makes flat breads, then cuts them into small pieces for the guests. Ask nicely and he’ll give you a whole one, which makes a fantastic wrap for whatever you want to put in it. I didn’t like the look of EVERYTHING, so chose not to have it, rather than slate it in this review. It is true, that the attempt at an English breakfast is poor but perhaps waiting for one or two weeks to have one when back in England would be a better option than moaning about the Tunisian version. I thought that even the ‘chicken and chips’ brigade were well catered for, though they might get bored if their palate is so limited as to want the same thing every day. There was always a ‘Tunisian corner’ (though it was never in the corner), providing very tasty meals obviously using the local herbs and spices to good effect.
ROOM
Our room was pleasantly spacious and cleaned daily, though the level of care was somewhat lacking, with pillows looking as if they had been tossed on to the bed. We had booked a double room but the beds consisted of two singles pushed together. Not sure if that is the norm but it didn’t cause a problem and they were comfortable. The room was nicely decorated and the bathroom was clean and sleek. There was also a nice veranda to sit outside with a view over the gardens towards the sea.
The TV surprisingly gave a good selection of English speaking channels, though the programmes themselves didn’t appeal that much. The picture was always very grainy also. We didn’t watch much more than the news but it did have a Scart socket to connect our travel DVD player up to for a late evening film. (There was never any problem taking a couple of glasses each of wine up to our rooms.)
POOLS
There were several pools, always with a Life Guard. We spent most of our time around the ‘quiet’ pool. I agree that if you were to sit right next to the pool that it is not perfectly quiet, with people enjoying themselves (how dare they!) We chose to lay about 20 metres away on the grassed area and it was perfectly tranquil.
We are in our 40’s and didn’t take the kids on this occasion but we had some great fun on the slides in the small waterpark pool. This opened in the morning, closed for lunch, then opened again until 5pm.
BEACH
The hotel point out that the area between the sea and their sun beds is, by law, a public area. Hence the occasional ‘looky’ men trying to sell items and the occasional camel rides. The beach area is wonderfully clean and the sand a beautiful gold. It is easy to stand up for a good 25 metres into the sea and we found it to be a pleasant temperature (though we were lucky with the weather for early October, being about 30 degrees most days).
There are a couple of paragliding companies that are nothing to do with the hotel. The hotel itself sells other activities at very reasonable prices. We went on the rings towed by a speedboat, which was only 10 dinars each (about £4 each). We also went out on their kayaks, which are part of the all-inclusive.
ENTERTAINMENT
There are plenty of things to do, as per the brochure. I was particularly impressed with how well they look after the little ones. All of the staff appeared to be very good with the kids.
Our only complaints in this area would be:
1. If you want to undertake an activity, you have to go to the fun pool. We made the mistake of going directly to the Archery session but nobody turned up. This was because nobody at the pool had shown any interest so the staff couldn’t be bothered to attend the venue. I think there were only two sessions per week and so we didn’t get a go.
2. There were four tennis courts but we couldn’t get hold of any rackets despite only one court being in use. This was because of an inadequate system that allowed selfish guests to take the rackets earlier and keep them.
3. There is air conditioning in the gym but I agree that it was warm inside. The problem was that some ignorant guests kept leaving the door open. It could do with a self-closing door.

OVERALL
The Holiday Village deserves its place at the top end of the Trip Advisor list. We would definitely stay here again if visiting Tunisia again and would recommend it to anyone that is able to accept that Tunisia (and in fact any other country) is not England.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
21  Thank pcsparky

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel oct half term. Myself and 3 kids 16 11 and 6. The hotel its self is very nice and clean. Cant fault All the daytime and evening entertainment was very good, and first choice staff all excellent none of the kids ever got bored, if anything it was me that was bored as they made friends and were constantly busy in kids club and with the activity's. Food was amazing and cooked using high quality ingredients. Very good holiday indeed. Would i go bk? to TUNISIA no, if this hotel could be relocated to a different country i would be booking again now. But so the the holiday village environment for the kids

3  Thank flashleicester
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Holiday Village Manar in July with my husband and daughter who was 18 months at the time, and would highly recommend it. As a sun worshipper the weather was brilliant, it peaked at 47 degrees but just as it got too much we had a dip in one of the many pools or went and sat in the shade and had a snack. My daughter loved the ice cream!

The hotel was spotless, so were the pools. Our room was right at the end of the hotel on the corner so our room was enormous and the balcony was even bigger! The maids came in everyday and left us flowers on the bed and made animals with the towels and left two bottles of fresh water in our fridge.
We found the food really tasty and nutritious although I'll admit we are not fussy eaters. Try the omelets at breakfast - they are made fresh in front of you and are really yummy.
Also in the evenings around 6pm the hotel set up a booth and put on specialty cocktails, a different one each evenings but once they're gone they're gone. Although if you were really taken with one you could purchase them from the bar opposite the restaurant.

The entertainment on the night time was really good however we weren't overly impressed with the style of seating, it was an amphitheater and having a young child with us we knew it would have been impossible for her to sit still on a bench type seat for 2-3 hours so we pinched a table from the bar round the corner and sat at the side of the stage, that way my little one could sit comfortably in her pushchair and when she got out for a dance she was right at my feet.

All in all a brill hotel that was excellent value for money. We would definitely return!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Loren1987
Reviewed November 26, 2012

To be honest this did not live up to my expectation of a holiday village having been to the one in Spain and Turkey. It reminded me of the holiday camps in the UK but with the sun. The facilities were average and most of the refurbishment had been a lick of paint, but underneath this hotel showed its age. The food was poor. Their were some excellent staff and the evening entertainment was good. We particularly enjoyed the Robbie Williams tribute act who was very entertaining. The hotel is quite isolated and their is not much to do locally. Just lots of other hotels. the beach sports were good and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank PM-and-ZKK
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Ive never written a rewiew before and ive also waited 2 months to cool down. Firstly the good points. The entertainment staff are fantastic work really hard and are the best thing about the hotel. Especially Nathaniel, Anna,jo-hannah and Scott.
Also the staff really try and make your stay as good as they can. Bedradine was our waiter and with a few tips and he couldnt do enough for us without ever being pushy. Thanks very much to all of you!
The bad points. im never normally ill on holiday but i lost 8 lbs with being ill. took me about 3 weeks to recover and every other member of our party had sickness and diahorrea for a period of at least a week. i know its Africa and not europe or the UK however basic hygeine should be adhered to. e.g. washing cups in some soapy water, cleaning the pool if there is excrement in it.
As for the drinks if you have any tolerance at all stick to the wine or you arent going to feel a thing.
The sports bar where we were planning on watching a game and having a few drinks had kids in it and although we didnt mind paying for some (non watered down) alcohol we didnt appreciate a room full of smoke.

8  Thank Dee_Tim_12
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have been to various Holiday Villages and this one ranked near the top in my opinion. This is not a 5* hotel (probably 3-4*).The staff at this hotel are absoloutely fantastic and will do anything for you.
We stayed in Manar 2 which is down by the activity pool. This can get a bit loud so if you have tiny ones who need a daytime nap then i would try and get Manar 1 on booking.It can get a tad loud during the day as music starts at 10:30am and goes onto about 6:00pm.
The food in my opinion was very good and there was always something that suited us apart from my 8 year old who ate spaghetti Bolognaise for 10 nights!!! The waiters were very good and always smiling and willing to help.
The kids club reps were very good, as were the clubs itself. Plenty for the kids to keep them occupied (High ropes / water slides etc).
The pools were very good, one activity pool which was all singing and all dancing and the quieter pool which was a bit more sedate. Nice and shallow for kids as well. Always lifeguard on hand. The lifeguard (MOMO) at the quiet pool is a great character and kept the kids and adults entertained throughout the day and certainly made our holiday.
The beach is literally just a wakk down the path. The beach itself is lovely, sand clean water great and waves fantastic. There are some sellers on the beach but also security guard from hotel and the sellers are not allowed to approach the sunbeds so you are quite safe if you dont want their hassel. They do sell some rubbish. Tip do not by cigaretes off of them they are very cheap but are not real. Some people even had sand in some of the packets in a box of 200.

We had a great time here and kids loved it. No dodgy guts, weather was good for the time of year and the accomodation was clean. This is definately not a 5* hotel but it is clean and staff are fantastic.

A couple of things to watch out for but dont let it put you off because it really is a good place to go in October as the weather is still very good.

Do not by cigaretes off of the sellers at the beach because they are cheap but are not real. Some people even had sand in some of the packets in a box of 200. once opened.

Do not book the tennis coach in the hotel as he spends all the lesson on his phone and just makes you go around picking up all his tennis balls and chatting to anyone outside the court that he can find. He is not even a good tennis player.

Be prepared for the continous barrage of flies when you are sitting round the pool, they are everywhere. They dont seem as bad on the beach or if you are walking around. Still there are none in the restaraunts. If you eat you food in the outside snackbar at lunchtime then they will be all over you.

Room Tip: I would say that Manar 1 is quieter than Manar 2. If in Manar 2 then a beach facing room is quiter.
9  Thank 67ricardo
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I can not for the life of me understand the complaints made against this hotel. We (mum, dad and two boys aged 4 and 6) had the time of our lives! We stayed for 2 weeks, only left the complex twice but were never bored. Totally agree that the staff help make this hotel, from the staff that run the Kids Clubs and activities, the bar staff, cleaners and receptionists. No one can do enough for you - helping make the holiday experience totally enjoyable.

We never struggled to get a sun bed - even though we often changed "venues" half way through the day. IT was great to have the beach so close - and a lovely beach at that. We loved the relax pool with Momo and appreciated the gradiated depth which helped encourage our older son into the deep end by the end of the holiday. ( Swimming lessons were excellent too).

Public and Private areas are kept spotless - constantly.

Food was amazing - you would have to really fussy not to find something you liked. The staff work very hard creating different theme nights. I would liked to have seen a better choice at the kids buffet but totally accept that kids have simpler palettes and are happy with familiar food. ( I include my own in this - lol)

Pirate Trip is a must for a fun family day out. We also took a taxi to the Friday Market - we didn't stay very long as it was a very intense experience with young children but we got a few bargains and felt like we sampled some of the buzz of the market. I wouldn't take young kids out on the organised day trip to the market - for us that would have been too long to cope with the market sellers and the heat.

We loved our room in Manar 2. 2024. It was on the ground, we had a double veranda and were right next door to kids club and the play park - very handy :D Only once were we disturbed by noisy neighbours - i think they had an early flight to catch.

I have read that lots of kids were being sick - I only saw one child be sick so cant understand that. My two had no problems. I think if you keep hygiene in place, keep them hydrated and keep an eye on sugar intake and late nights you stand a good chance of keeping them healthy through out the holiday. I certainly never saw anything that made me suspicious of hygiene standards at the hotel - in fact quite the opposite.

This is my first HV and I would definitely try one again. People we spoke to who have been to many seemed to think that Tunisa was one of the best with others like Lanzarote only being better because there is more to do outside the complex. There really isn't very much to do outside this complex - but there are LOTS of trips on offer if you feel the need to get out.

I didn't like the white wine but my husband did - I found that I preferred the rose and also the locally produced cedratine. We both enjoyed the local beers. In other words we were happy with our all inclusive beverages.

Overall a fantastic holiday for all the family. The strength of some of the negative comments on here makes me wonder if we are writing about the same complex!

12  Thank Tripped133