This is a very nice hotel, and all of the other reviews on here will tell you about why it's great. This review is purely intended to inform the public of the drawbacks I found so you can assume anything not mentioned here is of the highest standard.
1. Alcohol, and firstly - Beer. One for the men (and female beer drinkers). The "free" beer is of a very low standard and is only served in small glasses. If you're anything like me, nothing beats a cold pint of good beer on a warm afternoon but unfortunately, you won't be able to get that here. There is a separate "golf" bar, not included in the "all inclusive" where you can pay 4 dinar for 300ml bottles of Heineken. I found myself paying for these beers quite often, just to remind myself what real beer tastes like, and I certainly wasn't the only British male doing this. The spitits at the golf bar bar are not watered down like the ones at all inclusive bar which most certainly contain some H2O. You can also get decent wine here if you fancy a change from the vile free stuff. In summary, if you want decent alcohol of any description, you have to pay for it.
2. Breakfast. No option for an English brekfast, which I guess is more to do with being in Tunisia than anything. There are sausages but these are similar to the tinned hotdog sauges you get in Iceland for 50p. There is streaky bacon but most peices are around 85% fat, and that's no exaggeration. There are large white beans in a tomato sauce which I think is an attempt to replicate our baked beans but they really are disgusting. On the plus side, fried eggs are cooked in front of you, as are omlettes and both are up to standard. I don't think I'd have minded the lack of traditional breakfast, had there been some fresh pastries (Croissants etc) but all of these were completely stale and tasted like they were a week old. If you ignore the breakfast, the food was very good. There are lots of comments which contradict this but so long as you're willing to try their food and not going for chips/spag bol every night, you'll find that the Tunisian dishes really are very, very good.
3. "Relax" pool. There is a dedicated relax pool in which one would expect to be able to..well.. relax. However, I always found this pool was being used by young children and on a few occasions, people were playing ball games in here. If they want to dedicate a pool to people who want to relax, they should really have some rules to stop people from ruining it. The only quiet place to go was the indoor pool but but the sun does not shine here (literally)!
4. Indoor Pool Staff. Unfortunately, my friend found excrement in on of the jacuzzis by the indoor pool. Not the hotel's fault, obviously. However, when you point it out to the staff, you expect them to fish it out but when we pointed it out to them, all they did was break it up with a stick!! Lovely. As you can Imagine, we didn't go in there again. A couple of days later we noticed a very large insect in the indoor pool, which looked worryingly similar to a scorpion. Again, we pointed it out to the staff, and again, they did nothing about it. Shame the staff were unhelpful as the pool and jacuzzis were very nice.
5. The gym. Air conditioning doesn't work properly so it's unsuitable for cardio unless you enjoying feeling like your face is on fire whilst excercising.
6. Towel cards. There is a 20 dinar charge to replace your towel card, should you misplace it. Bit excessive.
If none of the above puts you off, then I'd definitely recommend the HVM. I know this review sounds extremely cynical but its sole purpose is to address the bad points rather than go over all of the good ones which are repeated over and over again in every other review.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Village Manar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Village Manar Hotel Hammamet
- Magic Life Manar Imperial Hammamet
- Magic Life Manar Imperial Hotel