“A Wonderful family holiday!”
Review of Hotel Manar

Hotel Manar
Ranked #1 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
southampton
“A Wonderful family holiday!”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We have just got back from an 11 night holiday at the Holiday Village Manar, with my husband and two children (8 & 6).

Hotel Room - We stayed in the main building and were on level 5 which gave a fantastic view of the sea. We had a family themed room, which consisted of a main bedroom with a massive (bigger than king size) bed, large flat screen TV, a separate room with bunk beds for the kids and smaller flat screen TV, a bathroom with bath, shower, sink and hairdryer, and a separate toilet. The hallway had a large amount of wardrobe space, also a safe and small fridge. The room was bigger than we had imagined and had everything we needed. There was air conditioning which only worked when a key card was inserted. The room was cleaned daily by very friendly staff who we couldn’t praise highly enough.

Hotel environment – The hotel was very clean and the cleaning staff were always around making sure everything was spotless. The outside areas were equally as clean, we read reviews before hand and were expecting a lot of flies – there were hardly any!!! Certainly no cockroaches, etc! The lobby area was nice to sit in with large comfy sofas and chairs; this was the area which we could get access to the free wifi which was very handy!

Swimming pools – The relax pool was where our kids did their swimming lessons with Ben and Holly who were fantastic! I couldn’t recommend them enough! This pool was quieter and nice to sit by and read a book (Fifty shades of grey was VERY popular around the pool! Lol!) The activity pool was good fun and also had the pool bar which was great! Lots of music and activities around this pool. The last pools were by the waterslides, these were great for keeping the kids entertained but I would recommend there is an adult nearby as there were some parents who didn’t watch their children and at times other kids got quite rough and were seen pushing others down the slide!

Food – The food was fantastic! How anyone could complain is beyond me! I am a vegetarian and there was loads of choice, they catered for everyone! Lots of choice and all served fresh with plenty of everything. No one was poorly that I was aware of during our time there, we certainly had no issues! The waiting staff were always friendly and were constantly bringing drinks and clearing plates (if anything they were too keen with the cleaning as twice my bread and drinks had been cleared whilst I was still up getting my main course!) The bar served cocktails and most evenings would have a speciality one on offer – these were great!

Trips – We booked with First choice for the Zulu Trip and the Pirate boat. The Zulu trip was not as god as I had expected but the kids were able to feed the animals in the zoo and have pics taken for 2dn each which was good, however the waiting time from finishing in the zoo to getting into the restaurant was too long and in the heat there were lots of grumpy children around! The dancers were fantastic, although the food left us desperate to get back to the hotel! I ordered a vegetarian meal which didn’t turn up until everyone else was eating dessert. The pirate boat was a great morning out; the children really enjoyed it, especially as we were able to jump in for a swim half way! The first choice team came on this trip which really made it enjoyable. We also booked at the hotel to go on a camel ride – what an experience! It would have been great if it hadn’t gone on so long (9-1pm) the camels were tired and hot and so were we, we all got the hump by lunch time! Nevertheless it was something we can say we’ve done now!

Water sports – We went on the sofa/couch ride which was great fun for me and my husband but it was a bit too fast and rough for the kids and one of them had a bit of whiplash by the end. Me and my husband also went out on the Jet Ski’s which were great! Absolutely recommend going on them and the staff were great!

Kids clubs – The kids went to a few sessions at the kids clubs, although I think my 8 year old found it a bit young for her. The evening sessions were great though and provided us adults a chance to have a quiet drink in the adult only bar! The chocolate party was a shock when the kids came back head to toe in chocolate! Only complaint is that the sessions in the day were only 1.5 hours long. By the time you’ve signed them in and picked them up it didn’t give much time to do anything else, we have previously been to Holiday Village in Turkey and they had a longer session a couple of times a week which was much better.

Staff - The hotel staff were friendly and always spoke to us and said hello. The first choice staff were great, very helpful and even lent my husband a charger for his Kindle when it ran out! I had to see the Dr on our 2nd day and he was very good and provided me with the medication I needed, even collecting it from the pharmacy for me!

Entertainment – This is a fantastic hotel – if you have children. Otherwise I think it would be somewhat lacking for adults. The evening entertainment is aimed mainly at the children and they loved it and enjoyed the shows every evening. There was a short game of bingo every night which was enjoyable. Only complaint was that some of the staff had family staying at the hotel, they were involved and talked about a lot during the shows, and it sometimes felt like they had priority over other guests.

Over all a fantastic holiday, one of the best we’ve had. Sunshine every day temps reaching over 40. I’m sure I could write more but if there is anything else you want to know please contact me!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank nspayne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed for 1 week and enjoyed every moment. Our room was in main building on 5th floor overlooking relax pool with sea view which was stunning. Room was cleaned daily and it was your choice if/when you wanted clean towels (enviromental friendly request). Beds were very firm but did not affect our sleep and their was adjustable air conditioning.

Food/Drink:Choice of everthing each night & lunch time to suit all palettes and was of a good standard, also food in the snack shack offering freshly cooked food with salad, fruit and cake on offer aswell. Red wine a no no, white wine was drinkable. Try the strawberry juice with vodka & ice rather than the strawberry cocktail as this was delicious and refreshing. Their was a cocktail stall some times about 6pm in the lobby bar which was nice.

Hotel/Garden staff: Friendly, attentive, hard working. Kept everything spotlessly clean and the garden & grounds were beautiful.

Pools/Beach: All good offering choice's from activity, child friendly to fun slides or relax pool (warm as a bath!) and the beach was lovely loads of sunbeds available on beach and around pools. Enjoyed the daily quiz each day around activity pool and the water fit (even attempted the pool dances from a seat around the pool bar!)

Entertainment/Holiday Advisors: These teams were nothing short of fantastic, hardworking, lovely enthusiastic and energetic people working day and night in the heat to entertain you. Special mention to Anna the entertainment manager who's enthusiasm doing i five live each night for the children as well as day time activities and then presenting the evening game shows and acts deserves praise. Her team Nathaniel, Rory, Johanna and Hannah harmonise beautifully and are equally hard working and deserve a mention. Mikey the holiday advisor was fantastic, nothing too much trouble for him a truly nice guy with an awesome laugh!

Activities: Something for everyone, high ropes, archery ( i can now get an arrow in the board!) Massages reasonably priced and heard they were good, internet facilities and loads of childrens programmes/activities as well. Be as involved as little or as much as you want to the choice is yours.

Overall can't fault this holiday go in mind of a good 4* and you won't be dissappointed. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Firstly all I can say is don't listen to anyone(last review especially) who bad mouths this place as it was fab, and I'm really fussy!!! I have a 4 yr old who went swimming everyday for 2 weeks never had a prob, and never ill!! some people just don't agree with the heat and that is all it is, everyone we spoke to said that they could not fault the place, the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble, the place is spotlessly clean and staff are constantly cleaning making sure that the pool restaurant and all public toilets are spotless, they can't do enough for you, to say the food was terrible, all I can say is they must have stayed in a different hotel to me as every night there was something for everyone and a special kids eating area for something for them too, I would return in a heartbeat, rooms were spotless and cleansed every day what else can it say!!! We met a hell of a lot of people they all agreed so you tell me who was wrong, congratulations to first choice, what a winner!!!

Room Tip: Choose manar 1 for quiet, manar 2 for more activity! Ring first choice to email hotel for choosing r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Abi G
london
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed here for 1 week in June with my wife and our 6 year old twins. This was our first Holiday Village holiday but it will not be our last.

Room: We had upgraded our room to a superior family in Manar 2 and had a lovely room on the top floor, with balcony over-looking the sea – lovely to wake up to each morning.

Resort: Everywhere you go in the Holiday Village is clean with lovely green gardens and flowers. There are choices of pools, so take your preference – we opted for the Relaxation pool for 2 reasons. 1. The activity pool is VERY lively. 2. The relaxation pool is the only pool with a shallow and deep end (The activity pool is deep and has a kids splash pool to the side). The life-guard (Mo Mo) at the relaxation pool is hilarious and is great fun for the kids too.

Restaurant: Was sceptical at first but the food here is great. We found the food that was cooked by the chefs in the buffet area was better than the buffet food but it was all fine. The salad selection is really large and definitely worth a visit (or two!). Waiters in the restaurant were really helpful and efficient. We did visit the Thai (al-a-carte) restaurant but the buffet cooking was just as good.

Entertainment: Can’t comment on the entertainment post the kids disco/show as we didn’t stay for it but the entertainment is in an open air theatre. The children really enjoyed the 5-live show that was running when we were there and also attended several kid-club events that were well organised and run and mainly took place in a well air-conditioned studio.

If you want to buy anything whislt you are there or for the pool such as balls, lilo’s, rings etc. then leave the hotel main entrance and turn left and within 3 mins there are shops that sell all of those things (plus more) at a fraction of the hotel shop prices. The exchange rate is set by the government and is the same wherever you exchange your money. The hotel will exchange Sterling (cash only) to Dinars but do keep your receipt as you will need this when converting any left over Dinar back to Sterling at the end of your holiday.

10 Thank 855Traveller
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Just came back after 2 weeks as the holiday manar Tunisia and is NOT a 5 star at all more like a 3-4 star. I went with my two children and husband children aged 2years and 7 months.we booked my son into creche and asked for a refund as all they were going to do was push him round in the pushcahir or watch tele not what i would call entertaing my child and keeping him active.we had a family den room and was up to 5 star standards at all. The cleaners just changed towels and sheets but did no cleaning for two weeks which is again not up to 5 star. The beds are rock hard not the best at all. The food was very poor breakfast is the worst not alot of choice and quaity of food is not great. Luch and dinner are not great at all.I spoke to other guests and all agreed that the food was not great at all.The staff however are really nice and always willing to help you.If you have small children you need to be careful with the swimming pools as both of my children came down with bad ear infections and the doctors have said is due to the pool water, Children allowed in pools without swim nappies and wee in the pool which is just causing problems foreveryone. Quite a few small children were suffering with sickness due to swaolling pool water.After going on alot of holidays all over the world this was a very dissapointing stay here,i do not know how anyone can say it is a 5 star resort as is no where near 5 star standard and i think anyone going thinking it is 5 star will come away being dissapointed. will not recommed it to any of my family or friends.

7 Thank Gemma S
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We returned to Hotel Manar this year and in talking to other guests who have returned from last year we agreed that some small changes have cleary been made from the previous year which was not for betterment and its sometimes the small things that count.
The outside Grill area was no longer being used, the 4.00pm drinks and snacks were no longer being served in the manin lobby area, pancakes for breakfast were only being served twice a week (children loved the pancakes and were not too pleased to be welcomed with cold waffles or eggy bread on the other days)
Staff Service was fantastic, cannot fault any of the staff.
Wallhi the waiter was fantastic and helped cater for our every need and Mo-Mo the 'quite pool' pool guard was as great as ever.

Room Tip: Reception, the main bar, main restaurant together with the resort shop and pool tables/gaming machin...
3 Thank Jrw2011
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Returned on the 2nd July from our 2 week family holiday (2 adults and 1 child, age 2) which we absolutely loved. The hotel was fantastic, it was immaculate, every public area was constantly being cleaned, the staff were so friendly and would do what ever they could whenever they could. The food was great. huge choice everyday with themed nights every other night and a childs buffet every night from 6pm til 7pm which we never used as our daughter is quite a good eater.

Rooms were very nice, cleaned daily. all rooms have a sea / pool view.

The hotel is on the beach but theres not much else around but we didnt mind as the beach was lovely and the facilities on site were brilliant. Water slides for everyone. High ropes, archery, water polo and many other activities to take part in. Also there are the football academy and swim academy which was very highly reccomended by other as their children went on holiday non swimmers and came away swiming after just 5 half hour sessions.

Water sports on the beach were very cheap - jet skiis, banana boat and rings from 10dinar = approx £4 paragliding 40dinar = approx £18 - therefor a must do!

No need to take towels as you get towel cards when you check in which allow you to get a beach towel which you can change daily.

Over all an excellent holiday which i rate highly and would highly reccomend.

16 Thank lfey87