“Perfect choice for a family holiday”
Review of Hotel Manar

Hotel Manar
Ranked #1 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed in the holiday village at the end of May with our 2 year son. I was looking for a hotel that catered to the needs of my son. It was a toss up between this hotel and some holiday villages in Egypt. Due to the excellent reviews of this hotel, we decided to visit Tunisia as it has a short flight time from the UK and the transfer time to the hotel is also reasonable. I have never stayed in a holiday village before and wasn’t sure what to expect but I decided to go with an open mind.

The reviews for this hotel really don’t do it justice. This hotel is the most child friendly hotel I have ever stayed. Anything and everything you could possibly need as parent was catered for.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a nice cold drink, check in was a breeze as we were given check in forms during the transfer from the airport. As we arrived early into Tunisia we were worried that we would have to wait until 3 to check in but once we got to the hotel we were given our room straight away.

As we have a toddler, our buggy pretty much comes everywhere with us, we were very grateful to see that there were ramps the entire way from the lobby to our room which was a family room in Manar 2. Our luggage was labelled when we arrived at the hotel and we were advised that it would be delivered to the room shortly, which it was and we did not feel obliged to tip the porter (even though we did!)

Our family room was huge, I can imagine that if we had a standard room then we would have struggled for space but with the sitting area and separate bath and wc, our toddler had more than enough room to run around. We were on the ground floor of Manar 2, the only thing I would criticise is that the patio doors are easy to open for a child, either the handles should have been higher up or there should be other locking mechanisms. We had to constantly watch our son as we did want him opening the doors and running out to the pool by himself.
For food, there is the main restaurant and the snack bar. Both are sufficient and catered to British taste, you will always find chips and nuggets on the menu! Breakfast was ample, yes, there was a queue for omelettes but as the hotel was not full when we visited it wasn’t a problem for us. The juice did taste very diluted so we used to pay 1 dinar for fresh juice which was yummy! What impressed me about the restaurant was they open at 6pm and have children’s dinner served between 6 and 7, my little one is too young to have dinner alone but I can imagine using this when he gets a bit older. The restaurant was also open 24 hours with access to a microwave, milk and steriliser if needed (another plus in my eyes!). There was a huge selection of food available everyday although I did feel as it got repetitive, the different themed nights were good and gave a bit of a change to menu.

Facilities wise, there was always something to do. There is a quite pool for people who want to relax and get away from the action. The on site water park with a range of big and small slides to keep children of all ages happy and the activity pool where most of the pool parties, games and activities are run. There is a swim up pool bar at the activity pool which is nice to grab a drink at. My son spent most of his time on the slides and we struggled to get him off them most days, the slides are very safe and keep the children entertained, one of the main reasons I picked this hotel. The beach is beautiful, the sand is like powder the sea is clean and blue, easily of one the best beaches I have seen. Yes, there are people selling gifs on the beach but they do not hassle you if you say no and the hotel security keep them at bay.

My son did not use the kids club but there is a playground outside the kids clubs and looking in I could see the kids having a wonderful time. The playground is not advertised and is a great find at the back of the hotel. There are swings and slides to keep the little ones entertained.

The first choice team are fantastic, always available in the lobby for help and advice. They recommended a trip to old town as we wanted to get a taste of Tunisian lifestyle. Taxis are cheap and you do not need to haggle a price as they are honest and turn on the meter, yes you do get hassled but its all part of the fun and its nice to get out of the man made village to experience some culture.

The childrens entertainment team are brilliant. I think I loved the i5live entertainment more than my son! It is repetitive but the children seem to enjoy it and the entertainers have so much enthusiasm that its hard to not enjoy yourself.

All in all, I think this hotel lives up to expectation, its the little things they focus on that impressed me. The staff are friendly and the entire hotel is tailored to families so was exactly what I was looking for. If you don’t have kids, then I would probably not recommend this hotel. Its probably not 5 stars in terms of luxury but its definitely 5 star for a perfect family holiday. Will definitely go back to this hotel and am already recommending it to my friends! Well done Holiday Village Manar.

Room Tip: Go for a family room or a kids den, the extra space id definately worth it and Manar 2 is closer to...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank rruparelia
Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Just come back from 1 week at the HV Manar... wish we'd booked for longer! It was perfect for our family! We have a 5yr old daughter who made full use of the Kids Club and swimming academy, which in turn gave us oldies a chance to relax by the pool!

The entertainment team were fantastic and work very hard. The hotel staff were all very friendly and the hotel was always clean.

The weather was fantastic. Only criticism was the lack of air con, which apparently is not turned on until high season... even though it was 38 degrees!

Look out for free kids places which pop up on line for short times only! We'd definitely book to go here again, especially as flight time is under 3 hrs.

Perfect for families with kids under 12yrs old

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rebecca F
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Myself, Hubby and Son (aged 7) stayed here in August last year for 10 nights. Fight OK, check in OK, room was wonderful - we stayed in a standard room was very large and had two massive beds in sea view and excellent air conditioning. Holiday Village is larg and beautifully kept. Plenty of sunbeds and pools were good and clean, Loads and loads for children to do, out Son only went to the Kids Club once as he loved the pools so stayed with us. Food was great we did not eve visit any of a la carte restaurants as main restaurant was always varied and food was varied and plentyfull - only slight glitch was on Italian night the long procession of people waiting for the pizza. We used snack bar on lunchtime and food was fine. No stomache upsets or anything like that. Evening entertainment was just brilliant for Children the entertainment team worked long hours and were very very good - my Son still talks about I5Live now. I hav ene hesitation recommending this hotel, just wonderful. I love to use the spa and do each holiday but here I had a bad experience with a member of the spa team and never used it here which I was disappointed about.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DawnH179
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Just come back from the first week in june 2012.not a 5 star hotel by far.if you have been to holiday village in egypt holiday village this is a 2 star.if you drink spirits you only get this in the lobby bar.pool bar,s & beach bar,s only have larger,wine & soft drinks.2 types of roll,s at the beach for lunch..if you have a birthday you have to pay for the cake unlike eygpt,also you have pay for your safe in your room unlike eygpt.this is all add on,s to your holiday.holiday village in eygpt wait on you hand & foot.in the bar,s you only have to get up to go to the toilet lol.would never go back to tunisia!

Room Tip: only stay i the new built part of the hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Tracy W
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family and I stayed in this hotel in May last year for 10 days and had a really great time. I didn't review it at the time because I have never been that worried about reviewing places we've stayed in but I joined trip advisor to talk about our holiday this year and have just decided to write this review as well! (My husband always says I can't stop talking once I start). The hotel room was quite small but it was clean and we had a lovely view from our balcony. We felt that the complex was laid out well with a spacious quiet pool area, a separate area with a couple of water slides and then the main pool. There was a bit of a problem with wasps gathering by the tables at the poolside where people could leave unwanted drinks but they didn't bother us too much because we used sunbeds a safe distance away. We liked the fact that there was a pool bar with a seating area in the pool so you could swim up and have a drink. The daily 'pool party' was fun with some good music and a fun club dance, although the timing of it meant that if you joined in properly you got wet just before lunchtime. The indoor pool area was really nice too. The high ropes were fun and in a good location just by the pool. We felt that the activity was organised well and there were also water walkers and other fun activities available throughout the day. The kids club seemed very good although our daughter did not go in it very much. At first my husband and I were quite upset about the venue for the evening entertainment which was a separate small, dark, very hot room with a few tables and just rows of chairs. We wondered how we were going to survive but we were lucky because our daughter (10 at the time) met some friends and was happy to go over with her friends for the kids entertainment while we stayed in the lobby area chatting and having a quiet drink. We took it in turns to pop over to make sure the kids were ok, but had no worries about it at all - they knew where we were and just came back across after their entertainment had finished. By the time we went back over for the main evening entertainment many people with younger kids had left the room so there were free tables and it wasn't as hot in there as we had thought it would be. Some of the shows were a bit dire but the reps worked really hard and it was a laugh because they had great personalities and didn't take themselves too seriously. The day after we left the entertainment venue was due to move to an outdoor area in another part of the complex. We thought the food was lovely although we missed our full English breakfasts that we only ever have on our hols (you don't get bacon and sausages in Tunisia). At lunchtime and dinner everything was cooked fresh in front of you and there was a lot of choice. It was also nice to have tea and cakes in the afternoon. We had no problems at all with anything going missing or anyone being rude to us - we found all the reps and hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful and we were completely relaxed the whole time. When we first arrived the spa manager was keen for us to use the health facilities but after I said no a few times he stopped asking and left us alone. We did leave the complex once to look round some local shops even though we knew we would be hassled and didn't enjoy it so were quite happy to stay inside the secure gates of the holiday village for the rest of our stay apart from one boat trip which was a really fab day out. The beach by the complex was nice but we didn't go down to it much. The weather was great most days and we had a really lovely time. We still smile when we look back at our photos and video footage and we only have good memories of our time here :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Bex18183
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I travelled with my sister in law, my 2 daughters aged 13, 11 and two nieces 15, 11. We left our hubbies at home as they had no annual leave left!
Flight was fine, transfer to hotel quick and check in very smooth and easy.
Rooms were clean and big enough for the three of us. Plenty of hanging space etc. Yes, the shower did leak all over the floor, but I didn't have to clear it up or worry about a leak, so it didn't affect my holiday!
Food was excellent, always plenty of choice. Yes, big queues for omelettes in the morning, so I had scrambled eggs instead... not a big deal really is it!
Th staff were very efficient and friendly. We did wonder if we would feel a little uncomfortable being 2 women on our own, but not once were we made to feel uncomfortable. We enjoyed friendly banter etc and did not come across anything remotely pervey like other reviewers on here. Infact, we were treated very well, drinks brought to our sunbeds and to our table in the lobby bar.
The grounds were immaculate and I did not see one creepy crawly for the whole week I was there. Certainly no cockroaches!
The evening entertainment was fine, the team tried very hard to entertain the troops!
Shame the pool bar didn't serve spirits and shame it closed at 5pm, especially as the sun is till hot at this time and the pool is still in use. The cocktails in the lobby bar all tasted the same, but the vodka tasted like vodka and the Rosè wine was perfectly drinkable.
Usual early morning rush for sunbeds, no point moaning, it's the same wherever you go.
This hotel was perfect for us, my sister in law and I chilled, chatted and read, whilst our girls swam and played on the flumes.
Thought it was good value for money and the very friendly and hardworking staff made this an enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: June 2012
12  Thank shashaKent
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was our first holiday abroad with our two children aged 9 and 11, and we were not disappointed ! Everything was well organised, and we were impressed with our room which was a kids den room . The bed was rather hard but this wasn't enough to bother us that much! The holiday advisors were so friendly and helpful , and so were the Tunisian staff, they couldn't do enough for you ! The whole place inside and out was immaculate, staff were cleaning constantly ! The food was amazing, varied and presented beautifully, especially the desserts! You couldnt get any food after nine pm which is one improvement that could have been made but we ate so much in the evening it didnt matter ! We went out on two organised excursions. The first was the pirate ship adventure which was brilliant ! It was great fun and you got the opportunity to jump off the ship into the sea which my daughter loved ! The second was to the zoo, Frigia Park. By the time we arrived after picking up guests from other hotels we only had and hour and forty five mins to see the animals before you were sent to the restaurant for a meal which was not to my family's taste! Then you were in there for about two hours watching a Zulu show while eating ! I have to say it was rather noisy and not particularly entertaining! However the animals were lovely and I would recommend that guests take a taxi there as opposed to the organised trip so that they can stay as long as they like seeing the animals ! We ventured out to the local shops too which were mostly ok, though the one on the right hand side had the most pushy shopkeeper ever! There is a bank down by the shops too so you only have a five min walk to get cash out. The daytime entertainment was great for children and adults too! The children loved the high ropes! We also enjoyed the evening entertainment outside in the amphitheatre! The staff made so much effort to put on good shows! All in all we really enjoyed it and didn't want to come home after a week ! We would recommend the holiday village and would return ourselves !

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family