“Green Golf Hotel.......the Good, the Bad & the Ugly!”
Review of Hotel Green Golf

Hotel Green Golf
Ranked #69 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Spent 2 wks at the Green Golf Hotel on B & B basis. The breakfast choice was very good with lots of choice which being a vegetarian is hard to find in Tunisia! The coffee was hot but the tea was luke warm. Obviously being in Tunisia it's generally Tunisian in style! One English couple were overheard telling the chef have to do 'proper' boiled eggs! Near by are restaurants where we went to eat in the evenings. We mainly ate in the Marina area where the food was nice and very reasonably priced. We tried the Medina once but restaurants are more expensive & the waiters far more aggressive in their approach to get you to eat in their establishment. Not conducive at all to a relaxing meal out! The reception staff at the Green Golf were generally polite & helpful. One was less so, who on a Sunday would not (or could not) exchange our travellers cheques despite the fact there was nowhere else open & we had a very early morning excursion the next day which we needed money for. He told us he had phoned the hotel opposite & they would cash them but when we went there they said he had lied and they'd received no such call....they also refused to cash them! The waiters were always on the look out for a way to make some cash....so would overcharge for food/drink or short change you. We learnt to always be aware of prices before we paid the bill & have the correct change if possible. This practice went on pretty much everywhere we went so not specific to The Green Golf. Unfortunately for the waiters it meant they didn't get tipped...as for me they provided a dishonest service which is unacceptable! The maids however did a very nice job in the rooms, even putting rose petals down on one occasion.....so they did get tipped! We initially had a room at the front of the hotel but immediately on asking they moved us to a room overlooking the pool which was much nicer. The rooms are large & have a fridge & air conditioning (which we weren't charged extra for!) which was needed as even in October it was 30 degrees. We had spoken to others staying in a 5 star hotel down the road who'd had their air conditioning in the hotel switched off, so this was a definite plus for the Green Golf. Apparently we found out at the end of the holiday there was an entertainment manager on site, but all he did was put music on throughout the day...there was no entertainment whilst we were there. One day it rained so we asked if we could use the indoor pool, but was told it was closed for maintenance. We also tried to use the pool table but it was broken, so lost our money in it. We informed reception but they did not offer to refund our money, just suggested we try again by putting more money in it! On the whole the Green Golf Hotel is fairly rated as a 3 star hotel & is good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.....quieter & far nicer view than the front road.
2  Thank claire t

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed for 10 days here with my boyfriend.We had a room with balcony overlooking pool was nice..it was on 2nd flloor..hotel goes up to 3 floors.its a very basic hotel and good for an overnight stay..or if you want quitness and peace..lots of older people here,,not many english..no entertainment..the food was tunisian..and was warm to cold each evening.told the chef but nothing improoved...only enjoyed the puddings....breakfast was very basic..toast..or tunisian food..didnt like the look of it..on the plus side the rooms were a nice size and had a fridge and balcony..the hotel is right near the blue ice shop..where u can get water drinks and a few choices of food..icecream and the marina and beach...The pool was basic meduium size..but plenty of sun loungers and matresses all free...would not go half board again..here..ok if you want a cheap place to stay and eat out and look for entertainment elsewhere..down the road is le le baya and iberostar chich kahn..we used to go in there for entertainment and may book these hotels in future cos they seemed lovely.

Room Tip: ask for balcony room overlooking pool if you have kids asked for a room with an interconnecting door...
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were due to arrive at the Green Golf Hotel on 7th October and were a little nervous after reading the recent bad review however we needn't have worried. Yes, the hotel is a little dated and needs a bit of modernisation however for what we paid we couldn't fault it.

The hotel is ideally placed for a quick walk to the marina, sea front and shops. The staff were pleasant and helpful, we asked to move to a different room because we had very noisy neighbours on the first night and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

The room was large, with a huge bed, table and chairs, fridge and a big balcony with chairs and table. Also the bathroom was quite large and had one of the best showers we have had in a hotel room. Unfortunately the pillows are a bit lumpy. There are no hairdryers or kettles in the room, you can rent a safety deposit box at reception.

We had paid for half board and the evening meals were very good. Although the meals were similar, we did not get the same selection for 12 nights however the food is aimed more at the locals so if you will only eat chips etc. then the Green Golf is not for you. The food was plentiful and replenished regularly.

Breakfast was good, not a huge selection but plenty of croissants, bread etc. Again, if you want bacon and fried eggs you will not get them at the Green Golf!

Can't comment on the price of drinks, we only bought a bottle of water each night but it was a similar price to the cafes outside.

The garden is quite large, plenty of sun loungers. Again a bit dated but the pool was cleaned every day and the garden was maintained. Yes, there were tiny ants but there were ants out in the towns also as there are in every hot country, there were definitely no mice and didn't see any broken tiles on the pool.

The room was cleaned every day, clean bedding and towels every day, the floor was mopped daily and toilet rolls replenished.

There is no entertainment at the hotel and lots of locals use it but we found this quite nice as the local families are polite and pleasant and they obviously enjoyed the food as we did.

It is handy for plenty of taxis, there is also a 'train' which goes into Hammamet town daily. The local bus goes from a bus stop just a hundred yards from the hotel and it is very cheap - only 1.35 dinars (about 70p) to go to Nabeul 25 km away! Loads of cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance - we went to the Palm Yasmine by the Marina for lunch on several occasions - very cheap and good food. Small supermarket on the roundabout by the hotel for water etc.

The Green Golf is not a luxurious hotel, I think it may have been quite posh when first built but needs a little tlc.If you are pleasant to the staff they are very pleasant and helpful back. We didn't pay a lot for our stay and it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are cooler as the sun doesn't get round there until evening. Overlook the poo...
3  Thank debl1962
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Green golf was obviously something grand at some time. Now, however, it is a bit old and jaded, could do with a lick of paint but the rooms and hotel were clean. We had a view of the pool from our balcony. Hotel caters for a wide range of people, including many locals and the food reflects this, it was fine, tasty but don't expect British choices - lots of fresh fish on the bone and meat on the bone, rice, etc. Staff were on the whole friendly and helpful although there were some issues with English, however English is their 3rd language and learning a wee bit of the local language outs smiles on many peoples faces. The resort itself was very quiet, but then we were there out of season, and alcohol isn't freely available everywhere, but it is in the hotel. The hotels location is great, just a few minutes walk from the marina. All in all the hotel provided value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kirst_12
Reviewed October 4, 2012

pros:

counting the hours down to come home

cons:
tiles coming off in the swimming pool
grass near pool is full of ants
food is absolutely foul
staff are just there for the pay packet
area is full of flies and mice
hotel is really dirty, you wipe your shoes as you come out and not as you go in
this hotel absolutely turned my stomach
the hotel rep was nowhere to be seen. i had two whilst i was there - i only went for a week....

Hammamet Yasmin
the madina is full of rude a. holes trying to sell you ish you dont need. at one point a waiter was looking in my purse telling me what money he wanted for a tip.

this place is a discrace. If you are thinking of staying in this hotel because of the price... seriously think again because you will regret it for sure...

My fiance and I went there for a week and ate out every night and ended up going to other hotels for their entertainment as there was none in the green golf. excursions were rubbish. I cant say i liked one thing about this place and would not go back. people are very rude...

people on the plane back agreed with me about this place. very cut throat.....

Room Tip: Choose another hotel as this place is on it's last legs
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Arrived at this hotel with my expectations very high after reading all the reviews about it . Well let me tell you when I read about the positives I don't portrait my staying at all that way . To cut it short the food was very low quality and no variety at all and on the top as I was full board had to pay for drinks also, not even a complimentary drink so ended up doing a log of meals in outside restaurants . The cleanness of the room was made daily surprise surprise after making a little mark on the bed lining no washed sheets were used in the all week me and my partner stayed there , not even after I had thrown all the sheets on the floor to make sure they would . Had to buy toilet paper 2 times and so on . Internet was never working during the all staying even thought I asked every day cause I had to print papers" and there were no other shops around" for the return flights the reception was always saying tomorrow !!! By other words they didn't give a dam and wouldn t make an effort to show you otherwise . I never got greeted by a reception member or anyone from the hotel not even on the departure . Tunisia is a beautiful place and sousse where I stayed a week before is definitely much cleaner, people much more courteous warm and welcoming .

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Had a two week stay, lovely room, not luxurious, but had everything you need. Air conditioning in the room very effective, there was a heat wave when I was there so it was the only place to get some relief. Nice touch was a fridge in the room. We were on half board, I would honestly say that everything I had to eat, I enjoyed, could have been a little hotter at times, but I was fine with it. I had a couple of minor things wrong with the room, a few light bulbs out and a bath plug that didn't fit, as soon as I reported it the maintenance man came and sorted everything out. Lovely pool area, with a lawn and terrace. Hotel very busy with Tunisians, Algerians and Libyans, not a problem for me at all (my husband is Tunisian, he had a little moan about them!) other nationalities were definitely in the minority, but as I said before I was fine with it. For the 2 weeks, I barely left the hotel, just relaxed in my room, or by the pool and read lots of books! There is a spa/massage centre, I didn't try it so can't comment about it.
Great supermarket across the road for water etc, hundreds of restaurants not too far, should you wish to go out. Plenty of taxis to take you around or to the old Hammamet or market of Nabeul, also on the bus route to old Hammamet, then Nabeul, excellent value and a pleasant experience.
All in all, no shock or surprises, everything was fine, I certainly would book to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012