“Good all but one problem”
Review of SENTIDO Phenicia

SENTIDO Phenicia
Ranked #8 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed December 4, 2013

On arrival you are given a cocktail and your bags will be taken to your room you will be expected to tip so make sure you get some currency on arrival at the hotel. Make sure you get a receipt for all your currency exchanges and change a little at a time and ask for change you will need this for tips. Tips ! When we got here it felt hard work not knowing what is the expected. So in short
Tip the maid a dinar a day. Bar people a dinar every so often not every drink. When we arrived we was told we would get the same person at each meal as you have same table .. But we haven't found that was the case and so we tipped on the day for good service. Some are better than others. A dinar is roughly 40p its a fixed currency so no need to shop around. You need 10 dinar a day for tips etc. Don't tip in pounds they can't change it unless they ask a friendly guest.. You shouldn't change it you will be breaking the law.
The room, we was in the 7000 rooms they are good, clean with a TV some English channels bbc news and a films channel. Twin Beds! They are twins in almost all the rooms don't expect a double you will be disappointed. Our room looked out on to a lawn and had a seating area with table outside. We chose not to upgrade as we didn't think we would spend much time in the room and with free drinks in the lounge we spent more time there. The wi fi is free! And good. Skype home if you wish keep your phone on airplane mode with WiFi on and you will not get a big bill next month. Get bottled water from the lounge bar its free.
The food is very good salads and the veg are fantastic. Sweets pancakes cheese etc. Meat dishes can be a bit ropey ..however on the whole very good. Food is available all day in one form or another. Drinks are local beers, coffee sprits you will not be short of a drink. But you will not find any English brands but who cares. The pools are cold.. We was in November so one pool is meant to be heated but I never worked out which one? All day activities are happening I did the archery the instructor was really good the people who are sports people in the day are the entertainments team at night.. I will come to that later!! Weather in November is like mid summer in the uk. 25 c first few days we was here.. 19-20 the rest of the time the odd rain shower..and you can get a fresh wind. Sitting on the beach is ok it tends to be sheltered from the winds. On the beach you will get the odd seller and camel ride people coming up to you just say no thank you. And they will go away. The hotel did put some security on the beach who did tell a few of the sellers to do one ! In shops only pay less than 25 % for anything .. If they will not accept that ...walk away.. They will chase you down the street and take your offer if they dont just go next door they all sell the same stuff. We paid 10 dinar for a leather bag priced at 80 that's the game they play.. Your the one with the power. When done right its fun and they will have a laugh with you.. If you feel they are to pushy walk off..they normally mock you as you walk away.. Its normal and makes me laugh As you should enjoy your shopping.
Its Showtime ! Or not.. The guys work hard really hard.. And doing shows in 3 languages none of which are not your own must be tough. What you end up with is dance routines with the team miming to the likes of Grease. I have seen on trip adviser that a few people have said the team concentrate on a select few guests and I can see why they say that but I understand why.. Most people don't want to know I don't, and a lot of the guests are older and not interested. So the same few people mainly teenage girls are the target. Having said that a few of dancers are good. And its better than most and its a tough crowd.
We was with first choice Mikey was our rep and he was ok the meeting I normally hate was helpful and only lasted 30 mins. My only real beef with first choice is the low luggage allowance of 15kg most people we met had 20 or more remembering you can't guarantee the weather its a bit low.
I had a good time over all but wouldn't go back again and a week was enough for me more as Hamamnet is limited in things to see than the hotel. Which had a relaxing atmosphere and had hard working smiling staff.
Sadly we did have to complain about a cashier who accused us of taking more currency than we had asked for, and insisted we had as there was 3 couples who weren't given receipts for their money they had said no so it must be us?! which was ridiculous as the cashier had counted it out to us and we knew how much it was so we would have given it back.We tried to solve it with the reception desk but not interested. 3 days later the hotel said it was a misunderstanding and sent a bottle of wine and some fruit to the room as we are all inclusive it seemed a little bit pointless to me and felt that they didn't the complaint seriously. It did spoil the day for us and after that the holiday didn't have the care free feeling we hoped for. We told the rep mikey the same day he was sympathetic but two days later we still hadn't had a response so we had to take it to the hotel concierge our self s she told us she had heard about it and was waiting for further information from our rep which was disappointing as it should have been resolved next day at the latest as we was only there for a week 3 days is to long to resolve a issue. We will be taking that up with first choice.

Room Tip: Tip the maid a dinar a day. Bar people a dinar every so often not every drink. When we arrived we wa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark P
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback with us on TripAdvisor.
Thank you mentioning the positives as well as the issue you experienced with the cashier which we apologize for.
Our Holiday Concierge has been informed about a complaint by your representative the late afternoon of the 11.11.13, saying you experienced a bad behavior of a girl working at the reception desk on Sunday after you exchanged 60 dollars. You have been asked if, due to an error made by the cashier, you eventually got more than 93 dinars back and you felt very bad when you stated you didn’t. Further details have been requested in order to start correct and fair investigations (When did the issue happen? Who was the person concerned/on duty?)
The 12.11. the Holiyday Concierge has been informed by you personally, you stated the cashier has been polite but the girl at the reception has been rude - we got all details needed, investigations started immediately, the Reception Manager has been informed, however both concerned staff members have been off the same day.
We felt so sorry, we don’t want to blame our guests - we therefore apologized and fruits and a bottle of vine have been sent - as gesture.
The 13.11., your departure day, the concerned receptionist was on duty in the morning – she confirmed she didn’t speak to you at all about any currency exchanges – and you did confirm it wasn’t her, it was the girl working as cashier. After the following investigation made we had to admit it could have been a language deficiency – she didn’t had the intention to blame you – please accept our apologies again.
We are pleased reading your kind comment regarding the food, wifi, room , the relaxing atmosphere and hard working smiling staff.
We would like welcoming you back – to get the opportunity to make up for any inconvenience.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My second time in Tunisia and at the Phenicia and I had a wonderful stay! I was surprised at how many staff recognised me from my previous visit which was lovely and made me feel even more welcome.

Rooms were clean and comfortable, common areas in and around the hotel were clean and well maintained.

Food was good with a wide selection and plentiful with brilliant service from the waiters. However having some fresh fruit juice at breakfast would have been nice - there were smoothies being made which were lovely but I wanted juice!

I went horse riding again which was fabulous! Rode down the beach to the marina at Yasmine and had photos taken in front of the boats! The horse guide was relatively new and spoke very little English however we communicated fine! Once he saw our riding ability in the ménage, we went out and I was allowed to go for a canter down the beach whilst my friend and he watched and took photos! The only downside was he didn't know the horses well enough to know Sabra (my ride) kicks! Luckily I'm a competent rider!! We did give feedback to our rep to pass on to the stables. I would definitely recommend horse riding :)

Archery with Amine is a must!! I was totally hopeless but he continued to encourage me and give helpful advise! I will definitely be trying again next time - and I will hit the target more than once!!

I went on the tour operators 'Hammamet Medina Tour' which was a lot of sitting on a coach and being taken around the tour guides friend shops!! I wouldn't recommend this trip as north hammamet is just medinas, then you travel to Yasmine Hammamet to more medinas look at the marina from the coach, and trip complete! Its a long afternoon and quite expensive for what it is.

However the hotel run a 'train' ride which we nicknamed the crazy train and is fabulous! We went to Yasmine Hammamet to a very good souvenir 'supermarket' all fixed price, everything labelled and no hassle and very reasonably priced. We then went the scenic route to the marina and given plenty of time to look around. This was a fraction of the price of the tour operators one and so much better!! We had a fabulous outing, escorted by Aldo, Shaggy and Nemo - we had so many laughs I would highly recommend this trip :) At the marina we had a go on the segways, handled and had photos with a bird of prey and laughed so much my sides nearly split!!!

Last but not least the entertainment team!! Well there were quite a few new faces and they have a lovely new choreographer. Dido has only been there a few weeks which by the performances was rather obvious. However they all put a lot of time and effort in to rehearsals and the performances and they don't deserve some of the snipey remarks we were hearing from other guests. They always try and get the guests up dancing and involved which is definitely a giggle!! The more you join in the more fun it becomes ;)

My friend and I also went out to the local bars and clubs after the entertainment at night. Some of the entertainment staff would be out and about and will escort you there, although we took ourselves! Even though they are 'off the clock' they still keep an eye on the hotel guests which is testament to what lovely people they are.

So thank you to all the staff at the Phenicia for a wonderful stay and a special mention for Bebo, Shaggy, Aldo, Pepito and Mario for keeping us entertained and dancing away the night with us :)

See you all next year :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review your holiday experience at the SENTIDO Phenicia.

We will share your kind and excellent comment with our team being sure that this feedback will serve as an additional encouragement to all of us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities.

We hope your next stay at the SENTIDO Phenicia will be even more pleasant than the previous ones.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Having had a good time last year we returned this year to find staff actually remembered us from last year! We we're warned by Thomas Cooke that there was building work taking place, indeed there was refurbishment work taking place on the first & second floors of the main block which had been taken out of use. This was almost unnoticeable with minimal disturbance. The restaurant was again excellent with superb waiter service. The food was varied, well presented and beautifully cooked using mainly fresh local produce. The communal areas both inside and out were very clean, comfortable and well maintained. The animation team worked so hard to enhance our stay. If you want value for money in a safe and very friendly hotel then this is for you. I have no doubt that we will return again in the future. Thanks Phenecia for a fantastic holiday!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Malcolm J

Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us at SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that every aspect of your holiday experience was excellent. It is very special to be referred to as “one of the most friendly hotels in the world” and we are all very grateful to you for this wonderful compliment.
We would be more than pleased welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just back from a week in this hotel which I have been to many times before totally love it. The weather was not that great but we still enjoyed ourselfs.
The rooms are all you need just somewhere to sleep very clean and they are cleaned every day. The food is good too plenty of choice for everyone. Everyone in this hotel from cleaners, chefs, waiters reception staff all work so hard.
Leaving the best till last Animation team, they are all great and such a laugh always on the go doing activities whether it be darts, table tennis, archery and plenty more.
Mario is such a lovely man always made time to speak to us. He's such a character with such a nice nature.
Would just like to thank all the staff in this hotel and animation team for their hard work and for making our holiday one to remember again.
Love all you guys so much ❤ can't wait to see you all again soon. Xx

Room Tip: Facing onto the main pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TunisianAngel

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the SENTIDO Phenicia.
We are really delighted reading you enjoyed already every single previous holiday with us.

Feel at home and welcome anytime.

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Another excellent stay in this hotel 26th October- 2nd November. Room was clean and comfortable, food was incredible, weather was great apart from a 3 hour storm one day but didn't ruin the day. But most of all... The animation team were fab, especially Mario!!! He was a great laugh and always made sure he spoke to everyone. He is a great asset to the hotel, and it would never be the same without him :)))) see you all next year !!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank vik8724
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.
We were delighted reading you had enjoyed already a few holidays with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia and particularly appreciated our animation team with “Super Mario”.

Thank you again - feel at home at the SENTIDO Phenicia Hotel.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

After just returning from the Sentido Penicia I felt it only fair to leave my comment about this hotel,
I did my research on Trip Adviser before booking as I always do, But I have to say I was a little disappointed on this occasion, This Hotel is not what I would class as a 4*. But more 3*. At the momment, Not because of the renovation works being carried out on the upper floors at the moment as this didn't bother us at all , we did hear a few bangs and bumps but nothing disturbing,
But the food wasn't as good as I've read in some reviews, it was just average , But I must admit the staff were excellent ! Very happy and very efficient and friendly, from the check in to the check out I didn't meet one who wasn't lovely, but there is a lot of glass windows , glass balconys and glass along the walkways. Which looked like it needed a good cleaning , which did spoil the place , the paintwork around the balconies desperately needs reprinting , watch out for the men on the beach we got conned by the man with a camel, he sakes if you would like to take a photo of the camel then invites you to have one just sitting on it then he whips up the camel takes you for a short walk and then demands 45 Dhina. About £20. And we seen this happening to others too, we walked up to Yasmine from the hotel along the beach and got pestered by men selling stuff, then a German woman came up and warned us that someone got robbed by some sellers just the day before so be on your guard at all times, this put us off going outside the hotel again, also if you book the. trip to Carthage Roman ruins Beware of the Cafe the recommend you go to with the view of the harbour, I think it was called Cafe La Delice ? Up the top of the steep hill in the Blue and white houses area, you order a coffee at 5.50 dhina And they bring you out a tiny cake on a saucer , this is not complimentary ! When you pay for your coffee they charge you 9,50. For the cake you just ate with your coffee, We were all conned on the same trip , when we got back to hotel others said they were conned too.. The weather was getting too cold the now to use the beach or unheated pools so we were bored stiff most days. As there's no a lot else to do but hang around the bars, The spirits arnt very strong. They weren't having any effect on us or anyone else we spoke to , but the lager was ok. All in all I doubt if I would ever go back to Tunisia at all , no a lot there . Also a bit off putting with so many police and para militarys. Some wearing black balaclava s. with machine guns .around the areas, pulling over cars at night looked very disturbing . One more tip if your buying shoes for someone. Their European sizes are much smaller than they supposed to be. Not putting a downer on it as we met loads who return year after year, but if your looking for just a chill out holiday this may be for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sueWithers
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for expressing your holiday experience on TripAdvisor. We apologize if we couldn’t meet your expectations, however our “face lifting “program already started and will be ongoing during winter.
Thank you mentioning the cleaning of all the glass around the hotel – this comment will be forwarded to our cleaning staff immediately, as well as the painting of the balcony areas/roofs which has been already programmed. Following the results of our regularly surveys the food is considered as good to very good by most of our guests – we are more than interested to know details why you think the food was “average” in order to improve constantly – thank you for sending us details.
We feel sorry, if the camel man on the beach got you or you have been bothered by other sellers –to avoid any inconveniences we kindly advise our guests by a written notice in front of the Beach Bar. Our beach attendant and the security would be happy to help whenever necessary.
We are sure you would have another impression about your holiday in Tunisia if the weather would have been better, not to forget our animation team provides many and different activities during the day, shows/cabarets in the evening.

Just come back during another season – we will be happy welcoming you .

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Reading some of the other reviews of the same period, I'm starting to wonder if I was at a different hotel! You can't please everyone, obviously, but I had a fantastic stay!

The hotel itself it clean and tidy. We expected some disruption while building works and renovations were happening, but the only time I saw/heard anything was when we went for a ride on the horses- but I'll come back to that!

The waiters were excellent & friendly! No sooner had I finished my drink, another would appear in front of me! I didn't even have to ask for the first drink after the 2nd day- they remembered every time!

The food was a good mix! Yes, the translation was at times confusing, but you could generally work it out. Breakfast however wasn't the greatest. Ended up with toast most days. Fresh fruit juice would help- the stuff out of the machine isn't the nicest!!

I wouldn't recommend the Thomas Cook "Welcome Tour" visiting the Medina's. It was good to go and have the history, but you basically visit the guides friends shops and get hassled into buying (at inflated prices). If you want a guided tour of the newer Medina, go on the train organised by the animation team. Thanks to Aldo, Shaggy and Nemo for an excellent morning out with lots of laughter!

Animation team were fab. They are only amateurs, so the shows they do are fab! The only thing I would say is they need something happening on stage between dances- a singer or something so guests aren't staring at the silent stage! They try to get people involved throughout the day & evening. If you say no, they will leave you alone! All the activities they ask you to try are all included in the hotel, so only doing their jobs!

The horse riding was certainly an eye opener... As experienced riders, we did have a few moments of "OMG!! Really??!!" Walking the horses across broken glass is not safe for anyone! Why not wait for the builders to sweep a path- would've been preferable! Not knowing your horses well enough (guide was newish) to tell us one kicks and the other bites was a disaster waiting to happen! Luckily, due to experience I managed to stay on the horse!!

Overall, a fantastic holiday and we will be back next summer!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Becci B
sentido, Guest Relations Manager at SENTIDO Phenicia, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at the SENTIDO Phenicia.

We are delighted to know that you had enjoyed your holiday with us and were pleased with most of the facilities /services offered.

We would like to thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to the horse riding and breakfast experience.
Please be assured that your valuable comments are positively taken on board and will be shared with the concerned managers and the team for immediate corrective action where appropriated.

Thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor - we are pleased looking forward in welcoming you back next summer for another "best holiday".

Kind regards