“"Bad manners are our speciality"”

and 1 more site!
smartline Hammamet Regency
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I occasionally holiday on my own and am used to it, but I have never felt so unwelcome as I did at this hotel. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

When I entered the restaurant the head waiter, instead of giving me a small private table, he showed me to a long 'bench' surrounded by about ten empty places.
The hotel 'chefs' had obviously not heard about defrosting meat before cooking, because my meat was so tough it choked me, and I had to run to the gents.

This must have made the chef determined to get his revenge, because from then on he insisted that I always pay for wine in cash. When I complained to the reception they were rude and unhelpful.

From then on I just kept to cheese, bread, and a sweet course - all of it surprisingly un -imaginitive for Arab cuisine. What made it seem even more unwelcoming was the number of rude, greedy Germans who seemed to have commandeered the place.

The only good thing about the hotel was the garden, which was lush, green and cool.

The surrounding area was flat and uninteresting - just a sprawl of minimarkets and souvenir shops. I spent many hours in my room waiting for the time to go by.

Just before I left I asked for an itemised account of my additional expenses and they said 'Of course'. But when I looked, it was not itemised - just one number was shown; the total. I was too tired too argue, I just wanted to get away from that horrible place!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank peejayCornwall

Reviewed March 5, 2010

I really liked this hotel! I went with my family (mom, dad, teenage brother), and we were placed in 2 separate rooms next to eachother.

The Rooms: The rooms are great! More than big enough, and at least those 2 rooms had a fabolous view to the pool area and garden. The bathroom is bigger than I expected, and the toilet is just fine. A very big closet was also placed there, with mirror doors. The only thing I missed there, was a refridgerator.

The Hotel Food: There is a very big area for sitting down and enjoying the breakfast/lunch/dinner served at the hotel. The food is good, and varied, but you should be careful about eating for example salad, because it may be a bit overheated from the weather.

The pool area is nice as well, though I was more interested in the beach; and the free sunbeds! The beach is absolutely lovely, and there's also a decent beach bar there which belongs to the hotel.

The hotel also has much activities for people in any age! Fakir shows, Belly dancer shows, Bingo, Dart contests, Water aerobics etc.

The only minus I experienced, which definitely made me a little releaved to get home, was the attention I got as a teenage girl with blue eyes. The staff was very nice and welcoming, and they do their very best to help you (great service!), but I got very sick of the flirting and staring I got from a lot of them. It's a bit unproffessional, and was way too intense. (Also, there's people trying to sell you adventure trips just about everywhere..)

All in all, I think anyone would love to stay at this hotel! It's a great place for relaxation and fun!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank krissh
Reviewed February 25, 2010

For those who were looking to be waited on hand and foot and did not get it and wrote horrible reviews....Look inwards. This place has EXCELLENT staff, who, if you at least attempt to converse with them WILL go out of their way to help you. The food was not 5 STAR but we neither expected it to be nor did we feel we should have been CATERED to because our tastes were different. The Gardens are secluded and BEAUTIFUL and the staff attended to our needs graciously in there. The seclusion from the beach vendors... selling everything was wonderful and when bothered, we only had to mention it to the beach staff and the riff-raff were REMOVED immediately. The rooms were large and modest at best, and the bed did not have a 5 STAR 50 yr mattress.... SO WHAT!!! How much time do you spend in the bed??? They were comfortable and clean...quite unlike some places spent in PARIS. The front office staff were VERY friendly, and gave DETAILED directions to all our destinations we were wanting to see. Both of us would not hesitate to return, and plan on doing so March 2010. We find it a shame people EXPECT SO MUCH but are not willing to go the extra mile themselves.
DO NOT HESITATE TO COME TO THE REGENCY, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PauldeCanuck
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Beautiful little oasis at this time of year, surounded
by lovely gardens. The beach with its white sand is realy close and has shallow water access. There are plenty of free sunbeds and umbrellas.
The rooms are of generous size with little balconies or patios.
The foodwas good, yet I would not always rate dinner (main course) 4 star, but there was always a good variety of salads and desserts.
One has a choice of taxi, little train or local bus to go east to Hammamet Medina or west to Hammamet Yasmin (more nightlife). Don't forget to
visit Villa Sebastian, now the cultural centre, with its amphi theatre, (concerts and plays in the summer). It is two stops away by local bus.
The staff at the hotel were realy nice, friendly and accomodating. We certainly would go again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kagear
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I agree with other reviewers that the gardens here are nice and the staff helpful. Beyond that, it gets a bit blah. The rooms are showing some wear and tear and the beds are on the firm side (which is OK with me) but pillows getting lumpy. Occasional efforts to blast guests in the garden patio with loud dance music in the vain hope they would dance must have irked residents of the many rooms that face onto the patio as well as those who were quietly enjoying a chat when the DJ began to do his job.

Clientele during my stay was about equally split between French and Germans, lower-middle-class I'd say.

The beach restaurant is OK but the bit of beach around it was not as well kept as at the Riu next door. The biggest negative was the food, which was quite bland except on the Tunisian theme night. My experience at the spa was disappointing; hammam was too cool (apparently the guests don't like it hot), the massage too weak to have much effect. Waiting time was excessive, with several guests waiting on a single hammam attendant, probably because of the out-of-season period.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank PoisedOverLondon
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I loved Hammamet Regency for its garden, its location right on the beach, 2 pools, and hammam spa. There are several patios that nestled within the garden or beside the pool that were ideal for relaxing. The beach has nice chairs and straw umbrellas dedicated to guests. It's in the older tourist area of Hammamet, which I preferred because it's closer to old town Hammamet than the newer, noisier Yasmine Hammamet (which to me, was more like Las Vegas than Maghreb). Although the rooms were spacious, the beds and pillows were sort of hard, and all double rooms consist of two single beds that are put side by side (lame!). The food was pretty good - there was a variety of Western and local food served as a buffet. I personally really liked the pizza stand, where the cook would roll ou the dough in front of you and make you a personal pizza in about 5 minutes. I also really enjoyed their spa - we took the 3-day 3-treatment package and it was really nice. Hammam and massage were awesome and the staff were really friendly. Overall a nice hotel - not the luxury I was hoping for in the rooms with a 4-star rating, but overall very nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fnsio
Reviewed August 25, 2009

+Nice big room with big balcony.
-Beds made of stone
-Pillow made of stone
-Cleaning could have been better
-Elevator not working
-Poor breakfast
-Horrible food at the beachrestaurant
-Breakfast area a big mess in the morning, maids sweepin floor close by while we where eating
-HAMMAM : What a joke. The products they used where thinned with water except the oil they used for ¨massage¨. No real massage and the promised 2 h was in reality 1h 25 min.A real waste of money.
**+