“never go back”
Review of Chich Khan

Chich Khan
Ranked #36 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed September 15, 2013

just got back from the chich khan , food good all staff were fab not a lot to do out side hotel but + I mean a big but 1st 3 days we had thunder storms! that's ok we don't mind the rain we are welsh.but when the sun came out it vry warm + then the moggys + flees came out thay have a bull ring in the center of the hotel + its a breeding ground for all things that want to bite the hell out of you lots +lots of people bites all over them . we had all the creams + sprays + we bought all the ones in the local shop + still got bit ? no matter where you went in the hotel thay were after you. but as I said the food is great all the staff fab + that's from the bottom to the top.so once again we must say that we will never go back to this hotel so sorry. steve +dee from wales

Room Tip: high floors have less a/c unit noise + take plenty of good + I mean good creams + sprays best of luc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank monster2013
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for sharing your very nice review. It is a satisfaction for us that you spent with us stay at Chich Khan.

The opinion of our clients is always very important. Comments like yours constantly motivate us to continue improving our exclusive and personal service, so that our customer can enjoy a wonderful time in our hotel.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (2,398)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Firstly, I want to thank everybody at Chich Khan for my amazing holiday!

The check in was quick and simple- even my mother could figure it out! I was staying with my parents and sister, though towards the end of the holiday all the lovely people i met were calling in at my room! The staff at reception were helpful and friendly, spoke excellent english.. i cant fault them!

The hotel itself is traditional yet modern, its interior could be updated but doesn't really need it to be honest. The bars are comfortable, the rooms are spacious and simple- but still luxurious, the pool is amazing and the areas around are just as good.

Food- oh my god... It was amazing! on here i read about people complaining about the lack of variety and lack of european food. im sorry, but youre in tunisia? The whole point is to try the food... people who stayed in other iberostar hotels wished there was less european food and more tunisian. Breakfast is a mix of meats, bread, fruit, juice, crepes.. everything! (The morning crepe man- Hamza- is especially sweet. he makes funny shapes for younger children and likes to make people laugh!) Lunch is pasta, bread, fruit, meat, salad.. everything you could want for lunch! Once again, its tunisian food! And dinner is exceptional! There is everything you can eat! People have complained about queuing for food.. literally you waited for a few seconds! Any queuing was due to morons who stood infront of the food and didnt let people get to stuff.

The staff in the restaurant were faultless and i made a point of letting the manager know this as he didn't seem to think so.. they were so attentive but didn't crowd you at all! They were all funny (especially Hadi, Ben, Montzar and Adnan) and kind. they chatted when they could but left you alone if you wanted! The dining hall itself held 900 people but it felt like 9! There was a lot of room and it was lovely!

The big issue people seem to be having- poolside chairs. there were enough chairs for the number of people that wanted them, and on an unusually busy few days they actually ordered in more chairs that probably wont be used again! to get more than two chairs together you needed to put your towels on them straight after breakfast. the rules say no reserving chairs but guests that do leave the rest of us no option!

Another issue that people are writing about- Illness. there was a virus sweeping through Yasmine and Hammamet, so people did get ill! as did the locals, the staff and lots of other tunisians! it was unfortunate that it got into the hotel, but really couldn't be helped! It was caused by a virus that was passed on through the air and it wasn't the hotels fault!

Now onto another positive- The staff! I am in love with all of them! They are so kind, funny, charming (tactile. people say they are pervish- they're definitely not! They like to touch; as do all tunisians. its is a sign of trust and friendliness over there.), just amazing! They are always happy to help and quick to help you. they'll have a chat, make you laugh.. they're like friends!
The ANIMATION TEAM are especially amazing. there is always something to do (waterpolo with mammado, archery with mido, ping pong with saif, aquafit with badi, water aerobics with looky, dance with gaston and mario, and water volleyball with gaston and bowels with mario are just a few) they are funny, kind, up for a chat and a tease. they're the nicest people i met there and I miss them a lot! The evening entertainment was brilliant! There were comedy shows, karaoke, dance, bellydancers came in (and pulled my dad up on stage to dance *cringe*) and there was a fire and sword show!

Honestly, I can't fault Chich Khan! Im going back next year and am counting down the days! I hope you guys choose to go and enjoy yourself like i did! Tip- get involved because the holiday goes too quickly!

Room Tip: Everywhere is great! If i was a family of 4 i'd get two rooms rather than an adjoining room beca...
4  Thank Sarah L

Reviewed September 14, 2013

what a week in chichkhan 9 of us went from corwall 4 a holiday . i can not praise the staff in the hotel enough especially the animation team an the waiters . everything was clean an tidy nothing was too much trouble they waited on us hand an foot. our ages ranged from 6 to 68. we will definetly go back again. we were all inclusive an the food was great plenty to choose from at every meal time well done to u all luv hamley family xx

Room Tip: we had pool side rooms which we great.
3  Thank brenda h

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Despite arriving in the early hours of the morning we were greeted by friendly staff who offered sandwiches and water in case we were hungry.
We were efficiently booked in and shown to our 'Family Room' which was lovely and spacious with a very good air conditioning system.

Our party consisted of me, my twin sons of 19, girlfriend of one of them and my daughter of 20.
We went on a couple of trips including the camel riding and pirate ship. Both were good, however I will warn you that the camel riding on this occasion was overbooked for the amount of camels which resulted in many couples riding a one seated camel - very uncomfortable!!
I wouldn't so it again as it was packed out at the end and we were not offered any of the food advertised by the rep at the hotel.

There are always things to do at this hotel, be it just chilling in one of the many comfortable bars or playing pool, massages, sunbathing or taking part on many of the activities run around the pool area by the animation team.

Which brings me onto the highlight of the hotel - the staff.
So friendly, from the waiters and kitchen staff to the superb animation team.
They were so funny and entertaining. My favourites were Looke and Medo (not sure if I've spelt these correctly)!!
Looke is an excellent dancer and takes the water aerobics - Medo is an all round entertainer and is constantly making everybody laugh by dancing in his own special way, you'll know what I mean when you see him.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and staff, great location, clean, excellent choice of food and very entertaining.

• Stayed: September 2013
6  Thank Ctips68

Reviewed September 12, 2013

travelled with partner and children (13) (9)
on arrival thought hotel looked nice .walked in to friendly reception staff and baggage guy
hotel was very dated but cultural (which was nice )and was clean checkin was straight forward been to Tunisia before so knew the drill.had to wait for our room so had a mooch around first impressions were great!!! checked out where things were .,

got to room which was basic but clean(main thing)never had a balconey which I I did not like but it done,was low and always ppl to see in ,always curtains closed and felt cloustroforbic . discovered fridge was broken and no bracket for shower.went to rec and all was sorted in a flash without a problem. towels were changed nearly every day
food ok first day to be the same day 2 and 3 and4 so repetitive was unreal and cheap stuff for being a iberostar 4 star hotel,kids selection was a disgrace for ppl with younger kids even though mine were ok they served in the kids section beef on bones that u would not give to a dog!!!!
as timw went on the pool was mucky there were ants in our bed .a very strange man approaching children(not hotels fault) that's was dealt with.
lamp shades with holes in allough this don't bother me its not a good impression .
ANIMATION staff were fab through the day every day even if you did not join in was always something going on and they were very sociable and friendly ,night time entertainment was well ok one night comedy night the impersonated labour!!! yes that's right total disgrace for kids to watch

dining area was a joke too small for amount of guests I felt like I was in a soup kitchen begging!!! queues far to big food not produced quick enough for amount ov guest always on slow mode I no they wrk hard but was a joke ..no air con either just fans that circulated the hot air which ment always hot and botherd and put off food
sunbed situation was diabolicle you go away to relax chill and so on not to have an alarm set for 4.45 to get up for a bed if you did not then u were stuck simple as that
mid way in second wk I got food poisoning and so did half the ppl staying due to poor staffing cooking food and not taking care ,ppl pooping in the pool being sick etc and they were not in a hurry to sort the situation at all even through solution in pool where ppl were still in.it was later taped off
a friend of ours little girl of 4 was left to leave kids club unattended and not signed out!!! for the boss ov KC to forge it
outside of hotel I did not atall feel safe never saw so many local ppl in a tourist area horses with carriges outside hotels looked so ill treat and starved really smelly
never again
I am not a fussy person and been to a few countries even Tunisia before and never felt the need to write a review but this was bad .

4  Thank shelley k
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Chich Khan, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our IBEROSTAR Chich Khan hotel for your holidays in Hammamet and for taking the time to share your personal impressions on your stay so we can take your vision into account to improve in our daily work and guarantee great holidays to all our guests which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

We first would like to point out that our professional Chefs work in accordance with our high quality standards related to food preparation and manipulation, further it has been ascertained that unfortunately during your stay an outbreak has touched the entire area of Yasmine Hammamet mid-august, we had different internal and external auditing companies after some of our guests started to have stomach illness and everything has been found to be in accordance with our HACCP certification; we lament hearing that you sickened as well and sincerely hope that you are totally recovered at this day.

We also lament hearing that you found imperfections in your room and thank you for contacting our reception so that they could be promptly solved by our technical department.

On the other hand we thank you for pointing out our animation staff, in IBEROSTAR we believe that nice leisure and sport activities throughout the day and entertaining evening shows are part of the real holiday feeling, we are glad to hear that this has been a positive aspect of your stay among us.

Finally, we understand that Tunisia might not be the best location for you to enjoy the ideal holiday and would like to offer you a personalized booking guidance through our call center where we can give you all the relevant information for you to choose the best destination, hotel type and services in accordance with all your holiday needs and wishes.

We hope to see you again in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience with IBEROSTAR leaving a good and lasting impression.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

For those who just want a quick review, just don't go!
For those who would like to read more, here I go. I have just returned from the resort of Yasmin Hammermet staying at the Chich Kahn hotel and for someone who is in their 50's and have travelled the world, staying at this hotel was pretty poor. I am comparing this experience with that of the Jaz Mirabell hotel in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt which I went to five years ago and I can honestly say the Jaz is ten times better than the Chich Kahn and the Jaz isn't the best I've been to.
The rooms are ok, just ok. There was mould on the tiling in the bathroom. The air conditioner wasn't working and took three visits to the reception desk to get it fixed. The tv never worked but I wasn't bothered about that. At booking I was asked if I wanted a pool view or a sea view. A pool one was my choice but you had to look very hard to see the pool through all the trees which were in the way.

The restaurant is just like a cattle market but that is consistent with all all inclusive hotels. The food was edible but very repetitive like pancakes at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Chips and pizza at every lunch and dinner. Every night there was a large pan which had rice, couscous and pasta with a selection of meats on different nights but it all tasted the same! They must have used the same flavouring every night mixed into the different food types. It was ok, but repetitive. If you like pizza and chips every night though, you would fit right in.

On the plus side of things the entertainment throughout the day around the pool was excellent. Plenty to do if that's your thing although I chose just to laze in the sun. Night time entertainment seemed to be ok as well but again not my thing so I just stayed in the bar till bed time. The waiters were great, however all of them are just serving you in the hope you give them a good tip before you go home as they get paid peanuts (approx. £4/day).
Speaking of tips and money, everything is geared up for you to spend more money while you're there. The rep at the meeting explained that you had to tip everyone, waiters, maids, porters, bus drivers, etc. so you feel the your "all inclusive" holiday isn't really all inclusive! In fact while I were there I spent over £200 more but that was I because I had to have a break from the boring food and have a night out at a proper restaurant and also bought some gifts. That restaurant was great by the way and the meal for two including a bottle of wine was gorgeous and all for under £40. It was arranged by the rep and a car came and picked you up then dropped you back after you meal.

The resort itself is a mess! Dirty smelly streets everywhere you go, rubbish out in the streets, overgrown bushes blocking the footpaths, etc. There are horse drawn carriages which absolutely stunk! Poor horses. Who knows how they are treated. Camels on the beach which also stunk and the same smells came from various dwellings as we walked around the place.
We discovered local men who say they are the chef or waiter from your hotel (they know this from your wrist band) and try to befriend you then take you to their shop for you to buy some goods under pressure from the shop owner. They are harmless and under no threat but you don't want to go where they want you to go.

So if you still want to go after this review, you've been warned. I wouldn't recommend this resort or hotel to anyone. Go to Sharm instead.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Clemo312

Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament hearing that your stay at our IBEROSTAR Chich Khan hotel didn’t meet your expectations, we are grateful for the time you spent to share your personal impressions as your feedback helps us know how to improve our services to offer great holidays to all our guests, which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

We are very surprised to read that your tour operator’s representative told you that you had to tip for every service as this goes against our hotel rules, we simply imagine that, tipping being a local custom, she informed you about this habit but every single staff member knows that this is not supported by the hotel’s management.

Moreover we are sorry to read that our buffet offer wasn’t of your liking, however we would like to point out that our professional chefs work in accordance with the high quality standards imposed by the company on a global level and always strive to prepare a wide variety of local and international delights in order to please all palates, the Tunisian cuisine uses many different spices to flavor meat, fish and vegetable dishes, this is maybe why you felt that it all tasted the same even though every single dish is prepared following traditional recipes.

On the other hand we thank you for pointing out the efforts of our animation team, in IBEROSTAR we believe that nice leisure and sports activities throughout the day and entertaining evening shows are part of the real holiday feeling, we are glad to hear that this was a pleasant part of your stay with us.

Once again, we sincerely thank you for your visit and hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in our hotels worldwide at your earliest convenience.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed for a week in the Chich Khan Iberostar in Yasmine Hammamet and had a great time! We only booked it a few months before and just wanted somewhere fairly cheap and in the sun. I've written a long review below (got a bit carried away!) so I've put it into sections...

HOTEL & ROOMS:
The hotel is a little dated in its decor but gives a nice authentic Tunisian vibe! When we went up to our room we realised we didn't have a balcony and the 'pool view' we asked for when booking was just really the edge of the pool we could see and more of the hotel wall. We went down and asked about getting a room with a balcony and they said to come back in the morning (we had arrived quite late) and they could see about getting us moved, which they did the next day. We moved to a room with a big balcony but compromised on the view as we faced the road outside, although we didn't that mind too much. The rooms are pretty basic but have everything you need. There's a mini fridge if you want to put water and snacks in and all the rooms have air con and safe box (which you have to pay a little extra for to get the key for it).

FOOD & DRINKS:
As an all inclusive you get breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks included. We never made it to breakfast so can't comment on that. There was a late breakfast in the Cactus bar but that seemed to be only cake. The lunch and dinners are buffet style in the main restaurant which has quite a good selection, from soup, salad, fruit, rice, meat, pasta, chips, pizza, fish ect and lots of puddings and ice cream. They usually had a few chefs making things in the buffet (pizzas and manning the grill) and they also offer Tunisian food if you want to give it a go. . Its mainly riced based dishes with meat but they were really nice. Bare in mind as a Muslim country you won't find and pork at the buffets. The buffet is fine and although they offer a few different things each night it can get a little repetitive. There is also a pool bar for lunch which serves less choice than the main restaurant but still good and perfect for if you don't want to walk too far from your sunbed! The pool bar does crepes with chocolate sauce in the afternoon but there always seemed to be a long queue for them so we only had them once. When we were on the beach we went to the bar there for lunch as the beach is a short walk from the hotel; the first time only had a small selection, which was fine as there was plenty of food and the choice was fine, the second and third time all they were serving was bread rolls (no butter) and sausages, however they did not look or taste good and I'm not entirely sure what meat they were made from - the cats seemed to enjoy them! This happened 2 days in a row which we weren't impressed with at all so one day we ended up buying food from a shop nearby and the other we walked back to the hotel. Also at the beach bar its only soft drinks with the all inclusive, you have to pay extra for alcohol. For dinner you can eat at the a la carte restaurant one time which is a Mexican. I would definitely recommend booking this early. We tried on our second day and it wasn't available until Sunday which was when we flew home so we were a bit disappointed with that. You can also eat at a choice of 4 other a la carte restaurants and the other Iberostar hotels close by so we went to the Asian at the Iberostar Belsaire which was nice. You get quite a few courses but it is a set menu. As for the drinks, its mainly local spirits, wine and beer served in the bar and restaurant but you can pretty much have what you want. They do cocktails and slushy drinks too and big bottles of water. The pool bar is open till 6, Cactus bar till 11, main bar till 12 and then there's club downstairs open till 1 if you want an extra hour of drinking!

POOL & BEACH:
The pool is quite big, one section has a volleyball net in and the rest is for swimming. There a kids pool as well with a little park next to it (swings and a slide ect), which is not too near the main pool so there's not too many kids everywhere. Its quite hard to get a sunbed round the pool as, despite the 'no reserving sunbeds' rule, most people seemed to get up at silly-o-clock to put there towels down. It always seemed quite busy all day. We were lucky that we managed to get ones everytime without getting up early but if you want the sun all day you may want to fight for one near the pool bar with your back facing the hotel as this spot seemed to get the most sun and the other half of the pool goes into shade in the afternoon. Some sunbeds don't have the mattresses on but if you ask one of the staff round the pool they are able to get them for you. We sat directly round the pool most of the time but you can go onto the grassy areas and under the trees if you want it to be a bit quieter or want a bit of shade. There are also waiters that come round the pool with drinks and you can get beach towels from the hotel if you pay a deposit.

The beach was nice, a little quieter than the pool. The hotel has its own section of the beach which is a short walk away from the hotel (only 2 roads, takes about 5 minutes at most). There were always enough sunbeds here and there's staff to find you one and sand it off for you too. If you like house music then sit on the right side of the beach (as the bar next to the hotel section play music all day) or if you want a bit of peace and quiet go more to the left. If you sit on the sunbeds nearest the sea you might get pestered a bit by people trying to sell you things like hats, scarves, fruit, henna tatoos, bongos and peanuts! Also beware of the man offering camel rides up and down the beach. We saw a girl who just went over to take a photo of the camel, then the man said she could have a photo sitting on it and then her and her friends all ended up having a ride each and had to pay the man quite a bit of money after for him to leave them alone. The staff do try and get the sellers to move on quickly but if you don't want to be hassled then my advice would be to sit a bit further back. The lifeguards on the beach were amazing, literally life savers. The first 2 days we were in Tunisia it was a bit stormy at night which had made the sea really rough (I fell over quite a few times just standing with the water up to my knees!) There were quite a few occasions throughout the day where, despite the warnings from the lifeguards, people had gone in a bit too far and couldn't swim back in. The lifeguards (who sit right on the hotel section of the beach) were straight in to help people and get them back, and on one occasion they got stuck out there themselves with a man who couldn't get back in and a speedboat with other lifeguards on came out to help them! We also heard a rumor that 2 people had drowned in the rough sea but I'm not sure if there was any truth behind that. The sea calmed down after the storms and was fine to go in, although on our last visit to the beach there was loads of rubbish in the sea that had been washed up.

STAFF:
The staff at the hotel were brilliant. Couldn't fault them. Everyone was really friendly, helpful and worked hard to make sure the guests are happy and they will have a good laugh with you too. They really appreciate tips and will look after you even more if you tip them. The restaurant staff were great, we had the same waiter most nights (I never got his name unfortunately) but he always had a table and remembered our drinks everytime. They also sing (quite loudly - very funny!) and bring out cake if its your birthday! Bar staff were brilliant too, again always remembered your drinks and as soon as you were close to finishing one, a new drink would arrive at the table. In particular, one of the bar staff 'Slim Los' aka 'Slim Shady' (as he called himself!) really looked after us the whole time we were there. The maid service was good, rooms were always clean and tidy and a few times she had left flowers or made an origami towel which was cute! The entertainment team round the pool were good fun, especially their dancing. And reception were very helpful and friendly. The Thomas Cook rep Charley was lovely too and always happy to help if you needed her.

FACILITIES:
The hotel had quite a bit to offer. There's entertainment round the pool all day with games and sports from archery, football, waterpolo, volleyball, water aerobics and dance classes organised by the entertainment team. There's also a mini golf course and inside games like ping pong, pool and table football. I'm pretty sure there was a kids club too somewhere in the hotel. We saw a big TV showing the football one night near reception and there's also free wifi in the reception if you need it. The entertainment team put on shows at night, I think a different one per night. The only time we went to have a look they seemed to be doing a raffle for quite a long time so we didn't stay to watch. There's a shisha area next to the Cactus bar if you like shisha or just want to give it a go. You have to pay extra for it (12 dinars for a large) and you take your shoes off and chill out on the sofas. The man who makes them up is hilarious too, his name is Ali Baba and he was making some funny (and slightly inappropriate!) comments! There's a nightclub 'Disco Tam Tam!' which is open till 1 as well, it plays random music (mainly a bit of hip-hop and dance) and feels like your in a cave but its ok for a drink between 12 and 1.

We used the spa one day which was not great in comparison to other spas and I don't think its worth the money. Firstly we went in the Turkish Baths which is a giant sauna, then had an exfoliation by the woman using a mitt glove, then she did a seaweed wrap, which consisted of me standing in a shower while she threw green stuff on me out of a bucket. After that I had a jaquzzi bath and my boyfriend had some kind of shower massage. We then both had a full body massage in the same room which I actually would have really enjoyed more if the massage therapists hadn't spent the time whispering and talking. Finally I had a facial which was pretty rubbish, she just painted a mask on me, washed it off and put some moisturiser on my face whilst flitting in and out of the room inbetween. There is an indoor pool in the hotel next to the spa but this was closed at the time we went, although not a problem for us as we wanted to be in the sun.

LOCAL AREA:
We didn't stray too far from the hotel and only really ventured out once but the local area seemed fine, quite a lot of tourists in the main part of Yasmine (where the water park is). There seemed to be lots of bars and restaurants if you wanted to eat or drink out and plenty of shops selling anything from hangbags to rugs and the usual sort of holiday trinkets. We briefly walked down to the marina one night which seemed similar to the centre part of town, perhaps slightly quieter. One place I really would recommend if you fancy eating out is a restaurant called 'Bella Marina'. We went there twice as it was lovely. The rep booked it for us and they pick you up from your hotel and drop you back for free which is good. The food was great, the first time we went I had fish of the day and second time I had steak. They have lots of fresh fish and giant lobsters! Would 100% recommend it if you want to eat out of the hotel.

Hope that's helpful!

Room Tip: Not all rooms have balcony's so you may want to ask for a room with one when you check in. Inte...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank HayleyLauren
H0tel_Chichkhan, Responsable relations publiques at Chich Khan, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014