“It is what you make it”

Hotel Mehari Hammamet
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed from 10-17th July as a couple. Arrived very late but were greeted by friendly hotel staff who quickly checked us in and allowed us to go up to our rooms where our bags were brought up minutes later. Staff also brought us up a plate of food because of the long travel with no dinner.

GOOD POINTS
- Beautiful reception area, whole hotel looked amazing
- Drinks were definitely not watered down (in fact, a few times I had to ask for more juice in my cocktails!)
- rooms were spacious and clean. Towels and sheets changed every day by our lovely maid who always had a smile on her face
- Mini bar in the room was part of the AL and was restocked daily
- Beach was a short walk away and once you walked a couple of metres out, it was beautiful and clean
- Always a large choice of food at meal times
- Reception staff always very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them

BAD POINTS
- we felt that, as a young couple, we did not receive as much attention as some of the other guests. Maybe it was assumed we would not tip so it was not worth it, but we found this a little disappointing
- First few metres of the sea were quite dirty and littered
- Surrounding is very touristy so there isn't much to do except eat and water-sports (that we found anyway)
- The mini-buffets (at the beach and bar) weren't much to shout about. Food often left out for a long time and not much choice

Overall we had a lovely time and no real grumbles. As long as you're not too picky or overly fussy, I'm sure you too will have a great time.

Room Tip: 351 - amazing sea view, hardly any noise on an evening. Out the way but not too far a walk from anyt...
Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy B

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here 14th-21st July. We arrived at the hotel at 11.30am, very pleased to find our room
was ready for us. Our room was spotlessly clean with a nice balcony, unfortunately we were at the
back of the hotel overlooking the car park. The hotel lobby was very impressive, great bar staff.
It was a bit quiet, maybe a little background music would be good. The pool is on the 1st floor,
don`t be fooled by the photo`s in the Thomson brochure, the pool is not as big as I thought it would be and I think they need more parasols, to get a sun bed in a good spot with a bit of shade meant going to the pool at something silly o`clock, there is another small pool at the back of the hotel with a small slide, maybe this is more for children.
The restaurant is large and clean, our waiter was fantastic, the table was ready for us every meal time with wine and water, great service, We enjoyed all the meals, the food did get a bit
repetitive by the end of the week but I think it happens with A/I.
We spent most days on the beach, as it was so hot we needed some shade and there were plenty of parasols available.
Now to things we were not quite so happy with, the beach snack bar and the pool snack bar,
they sure need working on to bring them up to Thomson/F.C premier standard, it would be interesting to see what, or if, anything is done. I`m surprised a 5* hotel has not given these areas more attention. This is not to say the staff were in any way at fault, all the staff in every
part of the hotel were fantastic.
The Animation team were super, always ready to chat and a big smile for everyone regardless if you were young or in our case senior citizens. We`ve visited hotels in Tunisia, Egypt and the Caribbean and you are amongst the friendliest. Well done lads keep up the good work.
The Italian a la carte meal was excellent, with a surprise birthday cake for me, a big thank you to all.
Would we go back? I don`t think so, we much prefer Port El Kantaoui, the beach, we think, is
nicer and the water was cleaner.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed on the 19th June it was that bad we only stayed 12 hours before being moved. Dirty bed sheets, plug sockets hanging of the bedroom wall, mould all over walls in bedroom and bathroom, patio door with not locks, the list goes on and on.

Very disappointed in first choice as well, they should not be selling this hotel as 4 star nowhere near it

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 705grant
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here mid July 2013 for a week. Nice short transferfrom the airport ( 45 mins ). Upon arrival we were created with a smile and a drink, then taken promptly to our rooms. Rooms very large with a big balcony ( only downside was 2 single beds and not a double as requested ). Rooms v clean also with a fully stocked all inclusive fridge!
Hotel has a lovely Spa too.
Food was nice but myself and wife weren't v adventurous as far as trying things we don't recognise so this got a bit boring eating pasta every day as the week went on.
The hotel has a private beach with a bar and BBQ just opposite the hotel ( 50 yards away ). Beach was clean but the sea was far from clean lots of rubbish in the water!
Pools at the hotel are ok but deceiving on the photos as they look huge but aren't that big!
Weather lovely, as hot as 42 degrees some days.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here for two weeks in June 2013.
Very Impressive looking hotel - first impression was wow, but that was very short lived.
Bad points - mosquito's everywhere - reception in particular, [stopped us from relaxing in the impressive reception area] and also mosquito's in the rooms. Cannot understand why they did not have some kind of repellent, especially being a five star hotel!
Lack of sunbeds at beach and pool. Rules state- No reserving of sunbeds, but yet all the best sunbeds were reserved every day, and if I didn't go and get a sunbed at 7am every morning, I would have not had one for that day. Why have rules, if they are not going to be adhered to.
Food at Hotel - on the whole quite good, but queues horrendous, especially when they had conferences going on, and 'honest to god' the buiseness guests [tunisiens, lybians etc] are so messy and rude, no manners what so ever, but I can also say the same about other nationalities [except English] - they just don't believe in queuing or waiting there turn. Final note about the food in the hotel, is that when something ran out, it just was not replaced quick enough.
Food at the Beach - absolutely Diabolical, call that a barbeque......what a joke -say no more!

Good Points - staff, waiters, animation team - All so friendly and nice, cannot fault them.
But on the other hand - Hotel managers - pompus and I suspect they do not think alot to us English at all. I say this, because on our last day, we wanted to keep our room on [late departure] or have another room, but after alot of messing about and confuffle, I was told by the deputy manager that they had NO rooms available. I'm sorry, but that was total CRAP, but anyway
he was so rude and very unprofessional, and just could not be bothered to find a solution to help me and my disabled mother!
Room was goodish, if you like COT sheets on your bed....which finally got changed on my last night for proper fitting sheets [just as well i'm not that tall....so it didn't bother me too much] the maids are terribly overworked, overstretched and underpaid.
On the whole....I would never go back to this Hotel. Five star.....what a joke.
I have been going to Tunisia for the Past 15 years [Port El Kantoui - 3 star hotel] and the Mehari is on Par with the 3star. Defo doesnot warrant 5 star [need alot of improvements]
I would have given a POOR rating...but I gave Average, purely because of the dogsbodies....sorry I mean the staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at Mehari Hotel for a week commencing from 26th June. The hotel arranged a taxi driver for us from Carthage Airport for 90 dinar about £43 one way takes about an hour. Be prepared for long queues at the airport passport control and when feeling in the card complete both sections otherwise you'll have to queue again (happened to us).
Anyway the hotel is in a nice area close to beach. We were on half board as we like eating out tasting local food. The reception staff were helpful in the start and one can change your currency to dinar at hotel. We were given complimentary drinks on arrival. Had a lovely room didn't have a balcony but had awesome views of the sea and pool area. Television worked but remote batteries were dead (didn't bother reporting it). Otherwise, very good size and neat room. On our first night we got bitten by mosquitos so we had to buy anti mosquito cream (it helped but wasn't effective) the following day at local supermarket. I would strongly suggest getting your own before travelling or the plug in ones. We managed to get some good sleep towards the end of our holiday, which was a shame. The food was alright but not 5 star as they state The staff at the dining area were good especially those outside at the balcony very friendly. Had tummy ache for 2 days after eating a dessert cake so that put me off, only had ice cream after. Bar area staff were friendly a bit slow at times and some didn't smile much, the entertainment was fair and the guys tried their best and was enjoyable. Our room was facing the pool area as previously stated nice views of the sea and pool but the noise from the entertainment was too loud and the England Bar club across the road did not help either some nghts. The highlight of our stay was the spa and playing beach volleyball. Sunbeds around pool area would run out quickly so one of us had to get up early and put towels before 8.30am. The locals were pestering to buy their products which was annoying and unfortunately we remained in the hotel area most of the times. The young lady at the reception was not very helpful. The lady making Tunisian bread in the dining area was superb. The ladies doing house cleaned worked very hard even though a number of times we returned to room after 4pm beds hadn't been done yet. Had to pay 17 dinar at reception to get safe key non refundable - in my opinion i think it's a rip off! Considering we would have paid a lot for hotel room should be included in the price. That bit really annoyed us!!! If visiting Tunisia i would recommend going on inclusive as the locals were not very friendly and the food not that appertising either. I am not putting off anyone from booking with the hotel it's beautiful and smart i am sure they can do better to improve their services. Overally was a good stay.
Personally i don't think i will be visiting Tunisia again anytime soon, if i do i will go to another hotel a proper 5 star maybe in Sousse as the locals and some of the hotel staff recommended going there said it is better compared to Hammamet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Can't praise it enough. Great location and service. Stay here if you are looking for all inclusive. We stayed here 7th July and had a brilliant time. Food great choice. Entertainment ok but we prefer to go out. The resort had no "strip" if u like a few bars but overall would go back.

• Stayed: July 2013