* The hotel is situated along the coast from Hammamet Yasmine, near the residence of the ex-President. It is an impressive 5 storey building with an exceptional pool area. We paid a supplement of £5 a night for a sea facing room, which was kept very clean.
*The staff were very friendly and helpful, especially considering the poor wages they are paid. We took every opportunity to tip the waiters and other staff and they were extremely appreciative - a Tunisian Dinar is worth less than 40 pence to us but means a lot to them. Try the morning walks from the hotel to learn about many things from how to age a palm tree to the symmetrical patterns on the doors of houses.
*We used the trains a lot to get about - amazing value if a little tardy and infrequent. There is a station at Hammamet (4 TDN by taxi) but we often took a taxi to Bir Bou Regba (10 TDN,including tip) and we found the girl in the ticket booth there extremely helpful - having a little French helps. From there to Tunis was £3 return on a 45 minute non-stop train. We did have to stand sometimes and the trains range from newish SNCF-type to something out of Beau Geste but a great experience always. In Tunis you can walk from the main station to the TGM to get to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said for 50p !!
*There are amazing cultural experiences - the Romans (at Dougga(by coach),Carthage, El Jem -the amphitheatre was used as the template for "Gladiator"- and more),the Tunisians (the Mosques,medinas,pottery at Nabeul,and the splendid palace inside the Bardo Museum,due to open soon after three years of restoration,and reminiscent of the Alhambra) and the French (language,wonderful patisseries in Tunis and Nabeul,the railways and the cafe life in the main Tunis boulevard).
A WISH : The food was O.K. - you could always find something in the buffet - and on some nights (like when roast chicken was served) it was good. However, I would like the talented and hard-working chefs to be given better ingredients so that they could produce food of an even higher standard. In the words of StarTrek..."This is calves' liver, Jim, but not as we know it".
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon so you can book your Aziza Residence Thalasso Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aziza Residence Thalasso Golf Hotel Hammamet
- Aziza Residence Thalasso Hotel
- Aziza Residence Thalasso Hammamet