“Our stay”

Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Our stay”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing holiday ( no kids at all in the hotel) professional friendly staff. Clean spacious rooms and an over all clean modern hotel.
Food is a good choice and something to suit all tastes ( however if you are a vegetarian be aware they do put meat in some of the rice/salad dishes !!! )
If you are looking for evening entertainment then this is very low key and not much to write home about, but this does suit the relaxed approach the hotel offers.
Would we recommend yes we would, but please note most of the guests are French and German and even though most of the staff speak some English by enlarge most prefer to speak French.

Room Tip: To the front of the hotel as the side rooms can be noisy from the adjacent hotel,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Oceana from the 8th September to 22nd September and instead of booking through Thomsons we booked direct with the hotel and this was dealt with in a professional and efficient manner.

When we arrived at the hotel our room was not quite ready but after a quick lunch we got into our room which had been beautifully decorated throughout with flowers.

We as always received a very warm welcome from all the staff and are made to feel at home.

The pool area as always is kept pristine and the gardeners work so hard in maintaining the gardens.

The food in the main restaurant is good but we did feel that there was not as much choice to be had as there was when we stayed in May and we were fortunate that anything we required from the grill the chef always cooked ours to order. I must say a big thank you to Moncef one of the chefs who did some amazing show cooking and to Walid our waiter to looked after us so well.

We had two lunches at the pool restaurant and food was excellent and very well presented and as we pointed out to the hotel manager guests who are on all inclusive should be able to eat here instead of going the main restaurant. He apparently is looking into this for next year.

The hotel was exceptionally busy and the last couple of days it did get a bit crowed around the pool area but it did remain very peaceful.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday and if you want a holiday just to get away from it all then this is the place.

1 Thank BLTN477
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

we arrived at the hotel on 09-09-2013 at about 4am with 2 other couples hoping for a wonderful honeymoon. this however wasn't going to be the case, for the first day at least. when we arrived our luggage was being unloaded while the Thomson rep had a brief conversation with the receptionist who was quite possibly the rudest man we have ever encountered on a holiday. as we all got the desk the rep then informed us that there wasn't enough rooms for us all but the receptionist would try and sort it and quite literally ran back to the coach. after a short while the man on the desk rather rudely pointed in the direction of one of the other couples room and abruptly sent them on their way. this then left us and another couple to sort out. after a rather lengthy discussion we had finally got through to him that we hadn't arrived as a family. so a bit of keyboard tapping he managed to muster up the prestige suite and sorted out the other couple. this then left me and my husband now on our own with the receptionist and a porter wandering around he became increasingly rude. he even suggested that we should forget the holiday and he would have us moved to another hotel. we explained we had paid a lot of money for this and had upgraded to all inclusive and weren't prepared to downgrade. we requested that he call our rep to sort the mess out, after dialling a few numbers he simply said that the rep had gone home. after a rather heated discussion and a few tears we asked why our room wasn't availiable and his response was that the people in it had been here year after year that we had specifically requested a garden view room.. absolute rubbish!!! we were on the beach and had a lovely pool, why on earth would we have specifically asked for a garden view? then to make matters 100 times worse he went on the suggest we go and share the prestige room with the other couple! as lovely as they were that wasn't how I expected to start our honeymoon. by this time its gone 5am and we still have no room. he continued tapping away and came up with a room for us but insisted we come back to the reception in the morning and wait for another room available. we kept asking why we couldn't keep that room and all his reply was is "its a lovely room but its not garden view" again a load of rubbish. hesitantly we accepted the room as we had had a long night and just wanted to get our head down. after a few hours sleep we got up or breakfast and waited for our new room and the welcome meeting. during the welcome meeting Lorraine explained about the welcome pack we should have received but of course we never! we spoke to her about the night befre and she said she would speak to the manager and get it sorted and have a couple of little suprises in our room for the honeymoon - to which I might add never once turned up at all during our stay. we were finally given our room at about midday, by the time we had showered and unpacked and sorted ourselves out and waited for some currency (as the hotel never had any money we were told to wait until the afternoon) we had lost most of the first day. thankfully apart from the entertainment in the evenings which was awful for our age range (mid-late 20s) the rest of the time was pretty good. the hotel itself was absoutley spotless and we couldn't fault the maids and the cleanliness of the room (when we finally got one!) the food was good with lost of choice of breads fruit and salads. our part of the beach was lovely and very clean and the guys by the pools did a great job bringing towels and sorting sunbeds out. the waiter service was very good and they were all helpful. I generally feel we should have been told about the clientele mainly older French and german couples and groups. as a young English couple I don't feel like we particually fitted in well. we are not the type of people to visit the same place twice but if we were we certainly wouldn't return to this place due to the appaling experience during the first couple of days and the entaintainment.

10 Thank kirsty k
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We wrote a review last year for the same place and returned again this year. Most remains the same with a friendly, relaxing and quiet ( no children ) holiday. A couple of items have changed. One for the better is that the beach bar is now open in the evening which makes it a good place to visit after food. On the negative side the pool bar is no longer useable for all inclusive clients at lunchtime without paying extra which is a bit sad as there were always empty tables and instead it meant you had to dress up a bit more and go inside for the buffet - last year you good eat here easily and choose simple stuff off the menu eg. pizza and chips as part of the all inclusive package. Overall a nice place to go although we will not return for a little while I doubt.

1 Thank Gates12
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We arrived at midday on Sunday 8th September, first impressions were good, the hotel looks and feels like a palace. However the check in procedure was a little frustrating and not that helpful, with the basics (location of dining area etc) not being explained very well, the room card was presented with the room number, but no indication where the room was.

However, when we got there the room was excellent and spotless, next after unpacking we had to find the restaurant for lunch ( 12:45 to 14:00 all inclusive clients only) we entered and stood at the entrance waiting to be seated ( as you would expect for a 5 star establishment) after feeling invisible for a couple of minutes, we approached a member of staff who told us to sit anywhere.

After finding a table a waiter approached with his notepad and asked my wife if she would like a drink, wrote down her order then disappeared ( he didn't bother asking me) I did eventually manage to get a drink and we enjoyed our first lunch.

Next up it was the beach and by now the time was approximately 3pm, no trouble getting two sun beds and the young lad looking after the area was extremely helpful and got us two towels.( the same lad was extremely helpful all week) Indeed we had no trouble getting sun beds all week.

Next it was dinner, and we preferred the late sitting (08:30 to 22:00) we picked an outside table (73) again we enjoyed the meal as there was plenty of variety. However the following night we went for dinner at just before 9pm, the table was very well presented and clean, only one problem, there was only one seat.

As you keep the same table for the duration of your stay, you also get the same waiter for drinks, who I think only smiled on our very last night when he almost begged for a tip.

We found the service at the lobby bar very good, we always had a few drinks before dinner and the staff got to know us very quickly, always promptly filling our glasses. The entertainment was very low key which we didn't mind.

Overall we had a decent holiday (apart from me getting a a bad stomach on the fourth day) However, the airport is probably the worst I have ever encountered. We were dropped off at 08:00 for a 10:30 flight, we got checked in by 08:25 and headed for the departure gates and passport control. The queues were horrendous, by the time we had made it through security and walked to the departure area, our flight was boarding. For this reason I will not be returning.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin L
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a week staying at the riu palace oceana and the overall experience has left a very sour taste. First the good points; the hotel,itself is stunning with beautiful, well kept surroundings. We stayed half board and enjoyed the food immensely; the variety at the evening buffet was incredible and the food of a very high standard. There was also variety every night which from my experience is unique. I really wanted to like this hotel because of these plus points but we had some very difficult and appalling service experiences throughout our week there.

First of all reception; worst hospitality service I have ever encountered. We arrived at 4am with 2 other couples to be told that there wasn't enough rooms for us from the 'helpful' Thomson rep but it would be sorted. When it was sorted The rude 'gentleman' on reception shouted our surname, handed us a key and said no more, when we enquired where the room was he pointed in the direction without a further word. Two porters appeared to be nearby however we struggled over to the room with our luggage alone. Things not much better when we got to the room and climbed into bed to fine the bed was full of sand and the linen had obviously been made up without being changed from the previous guests. There were also several Mosquitos in the room and my boyfriend and I both were bitten several times through the night. The next morning we spoke to the rep about this and that afternoon we had the head of the maid service barge into our room to ask if the change of sheets was to our liking and explain that they "don't have full maid service on a Sunday" hence the reason it was not clean. Utter tosh in my opinion as the bed had been expertly made with the dirty sheets by someone. At welcome meeting the rep Lorraine explained we should all have received our welcome pack from reception and have the information we needed for our stay; my partner and I rather bemused that other people had received such a warm welcome. We spoke the the rep about the lack of information we had been provided with (including not telling us where the dining room was!) and she advised us to go to reception and see someone for a welcome pack. On enquiring about so-called welcome pack we were told no to having a copy and, rather sarcastically, advised where facilities were in the hotel.

The dining room staff were slightly better than reception, although head waiter Mongi's greeting to me of putting an extra chair down for the baby and holding a pretend stomach (incidentally I am not pregnant and a size 12 so hardly falling into the rotund category!) didn't go down too well. Needless to say after that Mongi's attentions towards us where non-existent. Our holiday passed mainly without incident for the rest of the time and we enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and food until one last drama on our last day that gives this place such a poor rating. We enquirer a few days prior to our departure about late checkout as our flight home was at 2am. Told on the Friday to come back tomorrow, then on the Saturday to come back later, then again come back tomorrow. We had been advised that it was first come first serve for late check so we got us early to enquire again, and was again told to come back at 9:30 then 10am, finally being told they couldn't give us late check out as the hotel was full. We pointed out that the people in our room previous to us had late checkout and that there must be someone who was due to arrive on the same flight we did. Unfortunately this was to no avail but they offered to let us keep the room until 3 and have access to a courtesy room where we could change and shower before our flight. When we checked out we asked at reception about using the courtesy room and the lady said we didn't need to book and could use it anytime. After we had eaten out in Yasmin Hammamet I went to the reception desk at about 8:30pm to ask for access to the courtesy room, only to be told this was only available until 6pm, with the receptionist basically laughing in my face, when I challenged this he continued to argue with me until my boyfriend intervened and asked to speak to the manager. He then reluctantly arranged for us to use the showers in the indoor swimming pool to freshen up. He then spent 5 minutes gesturing towards my partner and in speaking in Arabic to his colleague (I can only assume it was intended towards us and was not our experience of the service of the senior management in this hotel was absolutely diabolical from start to finish and is the reason I have no intentions of going there again or ever recommending this place to anyone in future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Louise H
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

we just wanted a week in the sun, to read, relax and not get stressed and that's exactly what we got. well maybe not wall to wall sunshine but that's september for you (although a little unusual we were told for this time of year to be having thunderstorms-which quickly passed in 10 mintes then back to sunshine and 30 degreee heat). We arrived and were given room 440 - EXCEPTIONAL! Book this room or 441, 442 or 443 -they have double depth balconies and stunning views, worth every penny, 2x4ft beds(slept like a baby didn't hear a thing from anywhere!), bath and a separate shower, walk in dressing room area and sony flat screen tv! These rooms are worth the sea view. All rooms are HUGE. Spacious, modern and very well equipped. It's a hotel so it's not as clean as home but the cleaners worked hard and the rooms and bathrooms could not be faulted. The grounds are well maintained and all staff work exceptionally hard to make sure everyone is looked it. The staff here are brilliant from the gardeners to the managers, this is a hotel that wants you to have a good holiday. The food was delicious, every night it was cooked freshly even pasta, a huge range of salads and vegetables, breads and potatoes, cheeses, cakes, in fact if you caouldn't find anything to eat then you must live on pies! The last night I hand fresh huge prawns in garlic cooked on the griddle with a wonderfully mixed plate of salads that included lentils and beans -you could choose to eat healthily or indulge in the chips and fried delicacies but for me it was perfect. I was travelling with my partner and both her and I felt comfortable as two females in the resort, and it was noted that there were several same sex couples and individuals who were holidaying there at the same time; couples, sisters, mothers and daughters, brothers, individuals etc.. it was a nice mix and had a safe ambience. We had one small issue that Saturday night was a bbq night which we were told was for 'Romeo and Juliet couples' which did upset us a bit but we decided that we did not want to make an issue of it as we were only there a week and do not go on holiday to disclose our relationship every time we want to eat and we do think that they did not mean to offend as we were mostly assumed to be sisters anyway. It's a small point but we did feel for individuals or friends who might have wanted to enjoy the experience and would then have been excluded? Also, a point for Thomson to note, We did arrive on a Thursday to find that the italian restaurant was only open thursday and Friday night and we were too late to book Thursday and that friday night was fully booked. We were disappointed and spoke to the rep who spoke to the head manager of the dining room and he made a special reservation for us for the Friday night which was very kind and very geenerous of them - we do feel Thomson should have told us it was only available two nights and not the 7 nights stated in the brochure -perhaps it was nearing the low season... It was a minor thing and dealt wonderfully well with by the hotel. In fact the main buffet was better than the italien in our opinion and was themed every night anyway if that was important and the main allure to the buffet dining was the show cooking which was superb. All the staff in the hotel were warm and welcoming - we asked for some milk for our tea in the room and they brought us up a full carton to use for the week and some extra tea bags at no extra cost, showed us how to use the safe, had the tv on an english channel when we arrived (only 2 channels but we werent on holiday to watch tv but it was nice to see the news occassionlly) a complimentary bowl of fresh fruit and bottle of wine on our arrival (take a corkscrew if you dont want to go to reception for one) and generally we felt very spoilt and looked after brilliantly. We enjoyed the complimentary full body massage, although I personally found it a little too personal and we used the gym one day which although small managed to work off the breakfast well. outside the hotel itself is by western standards messy -as in there is quite a lot of rubbish etc.. but this is a comparitively poor country and money has not been spent on their infrastructure in recent years and it is beginning to show in places. The walk to both the old and new towns along the beach each took between 20-30 mins if you are fairly fit and was lovely. You needed to go into the heart of the towns to experience the true unique alleyways and taste a Tunisian rather than toursit culture but it was there if you looked for it. Overall we would come back to this hotel tomorrow if we could. We wouldn't hesitate to book it for a peaceful, quiet break, superb pool, to sleep, read, eat, walk, with very few children (as in maybe 4!) and because it's not geared towards lots of entertainment it is a quiet, civilised, relaxing environment to unwind and chill. Well done to everyone at the hotel, you make it a delight to be able to write a review and thank you sincerely for your attentiveness and to commend you on your hotel. Thank you for a superb holiday.

Room Tip: 440 -443 are stunning
4 Thank sar7562