“FANTASTIC-PLEASE GO!”

Ranked #3 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
england
“FANTASTIC-PLEASE GO!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

We have just returned from the Oceana and can only echo what the previous reviewer wrote.
Mahmoud on reception said to us that the Oceana is special "we look afterour guests" he said and that is true.
The hotel was only about 40 per cent full but as far as we could see from previous visits they have kept all the staff on. The level of service is just phenominal, all staff combine professionalism with being friendly. As for the food, well my wife and I both put on weight during this holiday, the quality and choice is just fantastic.
We experienced no hassle outside the hotel when we ventured into Yasmine and Old Hammamet, all peaceful.
We travelled with two relatives and had a special dinner in the Oceana a la carte restaurant and it was just wonderful.
If you are thinking of visiting Tunisia stay at the Oceana, you will not regret it! We shall be back there next year.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EnglandMikeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed at the Riu Palace Oceana from 4th September to 18th September 2011 and this was our 4th stay at this hotel.

From the moment we arrived it felt like coming home. The staff greeted us like friends and this was so special.

The hotel is exceptional from the beautiful pool area which is in well maintained gardens, to the Oceana Restaurant which is stunning especially if you have a table for dinner on the terrace. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean by very hard working maids.

This is a hotel were if you like peace and quiet, good food and excellent service then there is nothing to beat it.

Mr Neves, the Hotel Manager is extremely nice and keeps the hotel running smoothly.

We have already booked for May and September 2012 and cannot wait to go back.

Kathryn & Steven Shaw - Room 439

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BLTN477
Preston, Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

What a shame. This hotel is run by a dedicated team who try very hard to make one's stay a pleasant one. Excellent bar, restaurant, beach service. Excellent food and a very generous scheme on the All
Inclusive deal.
However....for me, my wife and my grown-up daughter the experience was tarnished by the other guests - mainly Tunisian I'm afraid - allowing their many children to run riot during all meal times and especially around the main bar area in the evening. This shouting, running around and general bad behavior went on most nights until midnight.
I'm not anti-children at all but I AM against parents not exercising any discipline on their children.
We were one of only two British parties there. The Europeans seem to have been scared off by recent events and the hotel has back-filled by offering deals to local (wealthy) types. The large collection of Porsche Cayennes, Merc S Classes and Audi Q7s in the parking areas was quite amazing. I guess they'd driven over from Tunis for the long weekends being offered.
Another problem - the owner of the hotel (never actually appeared himself to thank me for my business) seemed to have most of his extended family staying there, presumably at no cost. This is fine, of course he's allowed to do this, but these "guests" proceeded to swan about the place with a very supercilious attitude and the staff were clearly scared of telling them off or even asking them to behave. Pretty poor all in all. I would expect owner's relatives to keep a low profile and show some respect to the people bringing hard currency into their economy.
Oh, and expect there to be someone next to you at the bar or in the restaurant almost constantly on their mobile phone. Jeez! What do these people have to say for so many hours of the day? they're supposed to be on holiday!
As my headline says, 3 star behaviour.
There's a rumor that this hotel will be couples-only next year. This will be better, but do you really believe that the owner will not still allow his friends and family the run of the place?
We paid serious money for ten days and, reluctantly, cannot recommend it to people who would be looking for the peace and quiet that we were expecting.

• Stayed July 2011
10 Thank NoviceClimber
West Sussex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

|Our first visit to the Riu Palace Oceana surpassed all expectations except in one respect.
It was almost the perfect summer holiday location. Hot weather with low humidity. Great hotel accommodation and facilities, particularly the well spread out pool and beach loungers with stumpy date palms to augment the parasols for shade. Imaginative and tasty food, equal, if not better, than any other five-star establishments we have experienced. Management and staff were attentive, friendly and obliging. All this less than three-hours flying time from the UK.
For nearly five weekdays it was paradise.
Then came the “but”. At weekends the Oceana rapidly filled up with an influx of local and Italian families – whether the latter were ex-pats or residents from other holiday complexes, we are not sure. Some were day trippers others booked in the hotel from Friday to Sunday. The restaurant’s not over-strict dinner dress code went out the window. The pool filled with inflatable toys and swimming aids. The influx is apparently encouraged by the hotel ownership, presumably to make up a shortfall in bookings income caused by the recent unrest in Tunisia. There are indications it will continue for the remainder of the high summer season.
On Mondays, the Oceana settled back to its normal, comfortable tranquillity. Paradise regained. Brilliant.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jackdaws
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

Even though I have only spent two days in the hotel but I would come back to it as it is very clean, not too big or too small and has different options of Spa and relaxation.
It is located in Hammamet South and everything is close by...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mimo2405
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

We have just returned from an extended 6 week holiday at the Oceana, and again felt it only right to send a review (did one last year). We cannot fault the quality of: cleanliness, service, the friendly and helpful approach of every employee of the Hotel from the gardeners right up to the Manager (more on him later). The food is of a very high standard, and over the 6 weeks I think we had 2 nights were we not overly impressed. The staff waiters/chefs all noticed that we didn't seem happy and did all they could to provide us with something we liked, which they did. Our rating for food therefore is excellent, as experience tells us that to have a problem with food only twice in 6 weeks is exceptional.
Facilities and services at the Hotel - pools, gym, housekeeping, reception, waiters, gardeners, chefs etc are of the highest standards and I would recommend them without hesitation.
Sadly the Hotel is currently under utilised, especially it seems by Brits. I can understand peoples reticence in holidaying in Tunisia at the moment but I can only go by our experience which was a trouble free holiday, apart from my amazing shrinking trousers!

Over the years my wife and I have been to many Hotels and come across many Managers of varying standards. At the Oceana though, I think Riu have if not the best, then certainly one out of the top drawer. His attention to detail and inter personal skills: not just with guests but also his staff is first rate. Whilst this is not a love in for Mr Neves, we can be quick to moan about people but often forget to praise when justified. Like any organisation, if the top is flaky the rest crumbles. I don't think this will happen with him in control.

Bottom line, does the Oceana have faults, yes of course. Would it suit night owls looking for disco and casino fun - nope. Would it suit families looking for Animation teams to keep them occupied - nope. Would it suit people wanting shopping facilities outside the Hotel - nope (20 min walk or 10 min taxi).

However: would it suit people looking to get pampered and relax, get 5 star treatment, lie on a sunbed in a veritable oasis of palm trees surrounding a swimming pool. The only disturbance is the noise of the waiter popping the cork of your wine, or the annoying crackle of ice as you suck your Cocktail through the straw. Awful I know, but suffice to say that we have already also booked for September (looks like it might be a busy month). I wonder, should I book my sunbed now? If so, round the pool or down the beach, not sure as the sandy beach is a good 30 second walk away and I usually feel so tired after breakfast. I know, I think we might alternate between the two as there is no charge. Decisions decisions, why is life so complicated? The only simple thing is: Would I recommend this Hotel to friends, family or readers of Trip Advisor? Yes without a shadow of a doubt, superb.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
24 Thank Blue072
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Lovely hotel with excellent staff and service. Very large room with balcony, refurbished since photos on website with 42" Sony flatscreen and modern fabrics. Beach location with lovely gardens, tennis courts and excellent pools. Food: breakfast very comprehensive and lots of fresh fruit: dinner - typical of hotel buffet - slightly dull, but freshly cooked fish, meat, chicken and pasta dishes.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family