“Very nice hotel with a great beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Iberostar Averroes

Iberostar Averroes
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
“Very nice hotel with a great beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

My wife and I spent one week with an All-Iclusive package in this 4-star-hotel in October 2010 and we really enjoyed our stay there. It is situated in Yasmine Hammamet, right on the wide sandy beach - relatively close to the centre of Yasmine Hammamet and has around 250 double rooms plus 7 suites and 7 junior suites. All the rooms are air-conditioned (surprisingly I have been told that air-conditioning doesn't work, because it's already cold in October) and have phone, satellite TV, mini fridge, balcony/terrace and a safe (you have to pay at the reception for it though). Our room had some strange view at a nearby hotel, but in general the room was ok, big enough but needs renovation. The hotel has a spa (if you are using the All-Inclusive package you have one free Hamman for each week of your stay), inside and outside swimming pools. You can practice within the hotel water aerobics, play football, pool, boules, darts, tennis, table tennis and water polo. On the Yasmine-Hammamet beach, alongside the hotel, you can practise paid water skiing, windsurfing, pedal boats and ride the waves on a water bike. The two restaurants and three bars (including the pool bar) serve different Tunisian and international dishes and drinks. If you are an All-inclusive guest you can also book a theme dinner at the local Italian restaurant or in the nearby Iberostar hotels, such as the Belisaire (Asian cuisine), the Chich Khan (Mexican cuisine) and the Solaria (Oriental cuisine).
Apart from the already mentioned renovation needed in the room there is one other thing that made us not very happy - the staff ALWAYS demands tips. It's not big deal since they demand a dinar or two, but at the end of the day it's annoying.
In general we did enjoy our stay in this hotel and we would like to recommend it to other people who would like to have relatively good quality hotel stay at affordable prices.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wolfchild

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Merseyside, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed for what should have been a week but ended up being 5 nights due to being repatriated due to the civil unrest.
About an hour from Monastir airport and 20 mins brisk walk from Hammamet Yasmine marina, the hotel is well positioned and spacious.
Greeted on arrival and our cases were taken to our room - we went straight to lunch as we'd had an early flight from the Uk.
After reading some contributions, I was concerned about the food - though need not have been.
Therewas a good selection and the food was always hot, not just luke warm.
The waiter service was good in both the restaurant and the bars - yes they do like a couple of dinars tips - but, an average wage in Tunisian hotels is £150 per month so you can see why!
For your couple of dinars tip, you get drinks bought to your table all night in the bar and drinks awaiting your arrival in the restaurant and constantly replenished.
The rooms were spacious, we didn't use the room safe so can't comment on pervious contributors. I'd be surprised if the safe was opened as they look secure.
There's a fridge in the room and a seperate bathroom and toilet area which is unusual.
I'm one for picking up stomach bugs in Africa but this time didn't - I think this says something for the cleanliness in the hotel.
The manager walks around during the evenings - he always walks around the bar speaking to guests and eats in the restaurant evey evening, stopping to chat on his way round.
I very rarely say I'd return to a hotel, but on this occasion I would - the civil unrest cut our trip short but we had a really lovely time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2011

my wife and i stayed for xmas and new year, hotel, food, great.safe was opened and £500 stolen from it. management were no help at all. they denied it could happen, they would not call the police. i had to involve the police myself, that is a job in itself. the management spent the rest of our holls ignoring us. there is no security in this hotel for guest's, we loved the hotel but would not go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

we stayed at the iberostar avverous for the new year,on reading the reviews i was dreading it ,on arrival to the hotel the bell boy meets you takes your luggage to your room
nice touch check in really easy,rooms big really roomy you could swing the cat really clean,the staff cant do enough for you in the resturant they will have your wine, water ,.ready on your table for a few dinars tip worth it..i loved the food hubby got bye, fresh pastries ,omlettes,crepes ect cooked on demand for breakfast ,lunch usual meat ,soup,salad for lunch,dinner a roast of some meat ,stir fry chips ect,there is always a traditional tunisian dish on if you like spicy food try it i loved it, i did not like the vodka but they do there own wine white rosie or red it was nice beer was fine too lager ,tunisians have a very sweet tooth and it shows in there sweets they were great .the animation team tried hard it was average entertainment the quizs was best,newyears gala dinner was fantastic 7 course meal wine flowing service great .the resort not much to do ,really quite if you want good service chill out holiday go ,if you want night life and bars dont.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizzie067
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

Yeah…. Speaking now seriously, I found there the same great place. Perfectly clean room, tasty food, excellent staff, quiet place. Comparing to last year, this one waiters seems to me a little stressed. Usually, I am not an aggressive customer so I exchanged smiles with everyone. Always, a good time means a lot for me. And I found it again here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank anagh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

Don’t expect a 4 star hotel here, apparently Iberostar are a franchise here so therefore not the same standards as you would get elsewhere. I would say it’s a three star at a push.

The hotel itself needs a bit of an uplift but the rooms were cleaned and towels changed every day. The beds were a bit hard and the pillows were a bit too high.
Our balcony door did not lock but eventually got fixed 2 days later. You are provided with one bottle of water on arrival and then you are responsible for getting your own.

The food after a while can become a bit samey, especially the breakfast but there are fresh crepes and pastries but don’t expect to wash it down with a nice coffee as it wasn’t very good. The pasta at lunch and dinner is really tasty and there was fresh pizza made every other night which was quite nice. The lights can be a bit bright in the restaurant but on some nights they have candles and it’s a nice touch. Our waiter Karim was very attentive and didn’t expect tips but you will find many do and even if you do tip them they don’t seem to provide much better service. The dine around is a good idea as it lets you get out and about and sample some different food. It’s a set menu for them all so you don’t get to order, the Mexican was nice with good service as was the Italian and Asiatic but I was very disappointed with the Solarium (Oriental) which is the 5 star hotel, I hadn’t even finished my starter when the waiter stood over me with the main course and I had to abandon my starter so he could serve, I found this very rude and didn’t enjoy the meal. There are some rolls left out from 10pm near the dining room but if they ran out before 12 I don't think they were replaced.

The beach area isn’t very appealing, the sun beds are old and worn and the mats a bit grubby. You won’t be left in peace as every 10 minutes you will have someone selling jewellery, cigarettes, fruit etc. Even if you tell them you have no money on the beach they will still hamper. The pool was way too cold so we didn’t get a swim which was quite disappointing. The towels are free for the sun beds but don’t expect a mat unless you ask and provide tips.

The animation team worked hard but easily got bored if no one took part in the activities. They will come and sit on your sun bed and chat away but Coco and Tito tend to cause a bit of mischief which can be a bit annoying. If you are Scottish Mimi will say Good Girl in her best Scottish accent & Dino loves Michael Jackson and will often treat you to some dancing. There is a signature dance that goes on three times a day and by the end of the holiday you will be holding your hands over your ears. The evening entertainment consists of the animation team putting on a show or by having bingo and tombola which happens quite often! The team will try again and again to sell you tickets priced at 10 dinars as they get commission, this too can become a bit irritating. The best show we seen was Lord of the Dance where head of animation Michel walked on glass, he also likes to sing the same song each night so once again you may need earplugs.

There is not enough room for everyone in the evening; the biggest part of the room is for smokers so even if you sit in the non smoking part you will still be plagued but the strong smell of smoke wafting in all directions. We found ourselves having to sit on the stairs on a few occasions waiting for somewhere to sit or you would have to squeeze in beside other guests. We met some wonderful people this way, Karen and Peter, Jan and Bryan, Pauline and Rick and Lisa and Ange. The service at the bar was good, Walid was best at making cocktails. The other bar staff were efficient but expected tips if they brought drinks to the table and I don’t mean one dinar. I had someone say “I served you for three hours” this was after we had given a tip. Look out for Slim, hes a wee cutie. The manager was a very pleasant man who often walked round asking how you were.

Excursions offered by Thomas Cook were very overpriced, but our rep Ellie was very helpful and informative. We went to Fengirola Animal Park and later to the African show but it was a nightmare. We were herded in and sat at a table with 6 others. The meal was served while the show was going on and you didn’t get served individually, you had to pass round a bowl which I didn’t like and then again at the end the waiters were looking for tips.
If you are an animal lover you won’t like it here, I saw a poor injured cat while walking to the marina and felt physically sick. There are cats at the hotel but not many and they seem to be in good health.

There are some good fixed priced shops around the hotel where you get no hassle at all. The supermarkets can be quite expensive but there are a couple of mini markets near by that are quite reasonable.

The worst part of this hotel is the leering men, there are many but the one who bothered me most was Fyaz who works in the main bar area. This is not flattering behaviour as they will go with any women, all shapes and sizes and of all ages. I was there with my partner and was still bothered. I was told that if I didn’t go to a room with him then he would not speak to me again. Let just say he was rather frosty the rest of the holiday but luckily moved his attention on to new arrivals.

All in all we had a nice break with good company, good food and good weather, these men need to have more respect and not behave like they are god’s gift to women. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Adele D
Lymington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

A Friendly Welcoming Team of Staff from the Manager to the Maid. This hotel was our chosen destination to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and we weren't dissappointed. The attention to detail in delivering a memorable experience was enhanced by the individual touches from Cake and Fruit in the Room to decorations in the Restaurants.I would certainly recommend this Hotel to Celebrate something special and also for those who want unobtrusive attentive 5 Star Service that for us delivered the WOW Factor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple