“I would go back, anyways...”
Review of Omar Khayam Club

Omar Khayam Club
Ranked #45 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I have booked Dar Khayam for the week 31 December 2009 to 7 January 2010. I have booked directly with the Hotel. The payment was to be due by arrival.

As for the transfer, I have chosen transfer4you because the Hotel's transfer was much more expensive and transfer4you worked quite ok.

When we arrived Dar Khayam with our luggage, we were informed that we were not staying there but at Omar Khayam, which belong to the same chain of Hotels and it was side by side with Dar Khayam. So we had to pick our cases with the help of a Dar Khayam's employee and walk to the other Hotel.

After the check in, we were informed about our room which was quite simple (do never forget Khayams are 3 stars so do not wait for many amenities) but clean and the truth is if we are going on holidays, we are not supposed to stay at the room all day long, so it was ok. The problem with that room was that it was placed right in front of building works, which started at 6am and, having a 4yo child, it was awful.

The New Year's Eve was very nice, the Hotel was full, the animation was great, the dinner was a non stop variety of food.

The animation was the best animation I have seen in Tunisia, being this the 4th time and 4th Hotel (all superior). They are really great and Kids Animators were kind and gentle and all kids loved them.

The food was really tasty (1st time I tasted Tunisian food) and although not much variety it was enough.

My husband had an health problem and they have immediately called an ambulance, which was very kind of them. But instead of taking us to the Hospital in Nabeul, they took us to Clinique Les Violettes (near the public Hospital) where we had to pay 76€, which they have charged twice on my Visa card.

The main problem: they have informed me that the payment could be done with my Visa Card. Since we arrived there, we tried to pay but the Visa "machine" never worked. It looked like it had never worked so was the amount of dust on it. We also tried to make the payment at Dar Khayam but they said the connection was not working. So, for a whole week we tried to pay (although we were not bothered by the Hotel itself to do it) and in the end we found out that either Visa "machine" (Omar and Dar Khayam's) have never never worked as they prefer to get the payment in cash. Fortunately there was a Lady from an excursion company who had a place to work inside Dar Khayam's reception to whom we paid with Visa Card and who paid in cash to the Hotel. So, prepare yourselves to withdraw the dinars to pay the Hotel in case you book directly.

1) Staff is polite and friendly;
2) Animation is superb;
3) Meals were good enough;
4) The room would be ok if it wasn't for the building works right in front of our balcony;
5) I had the feeling that they keep Germans and British at Dar Khayam and all other nationalities in Omar;
6) For a 3 Stars Tunisian Hotel, it was a good surprise. (IT IS A 3 STAR - people forget this and they expect a 5 STAR Amenities)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed December 30, 2009

The staff was attentive and does not suffer a deficit. The food is refined and delicate. The hotel is clean, everyone helpful. The English can not understand there's nothing wrong if you do not speak French or Arabic. Provides plenty of entertainment for children, the animation is excellent.
In short, everything was wonderful and beautiful hely.I hope miracles and Tunisia will be in part, of course, if you can go to the Omar Khayamba next time!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank GabriellaBudapest
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I just got back on Sunday from the Omar Khayam, I travel to Tunisia 5 times a year and have stayed at most hotels. All I can say is this hotel is just for French people, we have never been treated so badly in all my life, the atmosphere was so bad we felt we should be apologising for being there! The female receptionist is the worst in the world, so rude and unfriendly.
The entertainment team never spoke to us once and just ignored us if we attempted to speak to them. We know everyone at the sister hotel; Dar Khayam, which is a fabulous, friendly, clean and welcoming hotel and they changed our wrist bands so we could eat, drink and spend all our time over there......thank god or our trip would of been miserable!
A great big thank you to all at Dar Khayam, your all stars! especially Roxy from the entertainment team. OMAR KHAYAM take note...you need to pull your socks up!
The Omar Khayam hotel is clean, basic, has a nice pool area over looking the sea and friendly waiters at least but as for the rest they need some retraining. Our room was great though, basic, clean and over looking the beach...if it wasn't for the view we would of moved hotels on day two!
Lorraine the Thomas cook rep. at Dar Khayam is the best damn rep I have ever met!!
If you stay at either hotel and want to do some shopping turn right out of the hotel and keep walking (15 mins or so) till you get to the cash point, on the right behind the cash point you will find a row of shops that are fixed price, welcoming, friendly, hassle free and very cheap!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank angelicdisgrace35
Reviewed September 20, 2009

me and my hubby booked this last min, and it was terrible from getting their to leaving. the transfer was longer than they said when we got to the hotel there was no reps to speak to everyone was french or german. the food was uneatable the whole time, i was given some turkey to eat that was raw. the drinks were poor always running low and not enough choice. the entertainment was not for english people at all in fact one waiter asked why we were there at this hotel. the whole holiday was a nightmere and it has put us off from booking off the internet ever again and i will never go back to tunisia.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank smitSheffield
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I have been travelling to Tunisia for many years and have stayed in many different hotels, however my stay this time was a nightmare. This is a nice hotel with very good facilities, good food and standard 3* rooms what you would expect to find in Tunisia. Unfortunately the night staff do not speak English and when we arrived at 11.15pm we were told that we did not have a room. We were stuck in the hotel next door Kar Khayam. Rooms were only 1 plus * at best, no working air conditioning. It took the management in the Omar 3 days to finally transfer us into the correct hotel that I had booked and payed for.

This really was not a good start to a holiday. Each time we wanted a drink or meal we had had to walk from the hotel next door to the Omar Khayam Club Hotel.

Management at the Omar Khayam really could not care less if they have had to put you in the hotel next door, they will keep telling you English stay there, French stay here.

I read a few reviews stating the above but chose to ignore, I so wish I had not ignored the reviews before I booked the Omar Khayam Club Hotel

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank timeout01
Reviewed October 11, 2008

we went as party of 4 adults which 2 were senior adults,hotel was very basic the food was OK if you were a rabbit! what food was offered was plain,warm,the hotel staff did try to make us feel welcome as we were the only English people there it was mainly french and German's as you Can guess we were not welcome anyway we were told that we could use the facility's of their sister hotel DAR khayam,which is a better hotel,we could not eat,drink there only the use of the pool and the gym
outside of the hotel there is restaurants 1 that is sea food only which only opened when they felt like it and it was a set menu the other did cook various meals mainly french there was some shops 400 yds up the road if you like hand bags! there was nothing whats so ever to do in side or outside the hotel,the main center was a taxi ride away but we kept away as you were given loads of hassle from the shop owners/staff in all we would go back to Tunisia but we would not go back to the omar mainly due to no English speaking people and not in the middle of thier holy month

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DrwhoEngland
Reviewed May 4, 2008

My friend and I went to the Omar Khayam in April. We have stayed in Tunisia many times and other hotelsin Hammamet, but the Omar Khayam is by far the best.

The hotel has many french staying their and only a few English, but that is not a problem you are made to feel welcome. The animation team are brilliant they work very hard and make you feel welcome by getting you involved in the shows.

The food is fab i cannot complain about anything. I did not want to leave. I have booked again for July with friends.

The views by the pool area are great, looking onto the beach it is something out of a postcard.

Please dont be put off by other reviews, it is a great hotel with an even better animation team who are fab. It does have alot of french tourists, but the english were made to feel very welcome and you will have a great holiday.

For places to go in the evening most of the entainment is around the hotel but they have nightclubs british bar, cheers bar, Oasis and a few others to name but a few. You need to bear in mind this is a muslim country.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank honey1975