“First Holiday With My Girlfriend”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Omar Khayam Club

Omar Khayam Club
Ranked #51 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Telford, United Kingdom
“First Holiday With My Girlfriend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was the first holiday me and my girlfriend have been on and if i'm honest we was quite dissapointed when we got there because NOTHING was open, no water slides, pool bars, beach BBQ and water sports, but we went out of peak so what can we expect? but overall we absoulutley loved this holiday, we met such amazing people and made so many new friends. The animation team are great, funny, helpful and generally make you feel welcome! the food was nice but not much variety but you can request other foods if nothing appeals to you and they will try there best to get it for you. Some of the waiters particularly the one named "Billy" was to "friendly" and forward with women despite telling him they are married or not interested, it got to the point where billy was following our friends round and staring at them. However if you can ignore some of the waiters, and the old-fashioned rooms, then you will have an amazing holiday, if you make the effort to make friends! overall had a great time. A special mention to Daly and Hassan who made our holiday.

Room Tip: Try and get ground floor because there are no lifts.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tyler A

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

I'll be honest, after reading the reviews I was not thrilled I'd booked up. But I'm very happy that for the most part the poor reviews are wrong. My 3 boys (9) (6) and nearly 2 have had a ball, and as any parent will agree, happy kids = happy parents. We arrived on Wednesday 12/02/2014 for 1 week. Our family room, 2006, was spacious and clean, the food was plentiful and tasty (anything you want different ask and they will always do there best) the bar staff are forever smiling and helpful. But a very special mention goes out to the Annimation Team. Wow! Them boys Bobo, Daly and Hassan have been superb. They have filled our boys days with fun and games endlessly. All in all a fantastic family holiday.

Stayed February 2014
7 Thank Pete S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Very clean good maid sevice food basic but always found something good to eat animation team excellent staff overall very welcoming could not wish for better service good place to relax and enjoy sea view or participate in games of your choice a few shops a bank and hair dresser on site all in all a lovely week

• Stayed February 2014
7 Thank sakkamumo1
Powys, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in September at this hotel, the room was lovely and spacious. The food was very nice however doesn't cater for fussy eaters but what do you expect so far away from home. There is an English bar just up the road which caters for everyone and is very cheap and also for you boys who can't go a week without a footy match show lots of premier league games. Brilliant pools, the slides are lots of fun. Photographer on site which will take photos as you swim or slide which is brilliant when there's only two of you and want a photo. Shop on site which sells literally everything you'll need. Hotel staff are friendly but be prepared to be moithered by people trying to sell fruit or excursions. Definitely recommend using the free pedalos on the beach and going paragliding for 30 dinars each.. Well worth the money!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel in January this year. The staff are brilliant and will do anything for you. Really friendly and go out of their way to help you. Rooms are clean and tidy.
The only thing that could be improved on is the food. It was cold and sometimes not cooked properly.
A good place for couples, not much to do in the area and some things not open until April

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Second time abroad with my kids! Was so nervous at first. My flight was really good and i arrived at hotel about 1:30 with my 3 kids. Everyone was so welcoming and helpful if i needed anything they were happy to help! The rooms were good quite modern nothing to fancy but was really nice and fresh which i thought was lovely. We went down stairs still quite nervous wondering what it was going to be like but the staff were showing us about and were very helpful people. I loved the food that was great and so did my kids even though they are very fussy when it comes to food! At night it was the best as the entertainment team put on a fantastic show my kids loved it! My youngest kid who was 9 absolutely adored the entertainment staff bobo hassen majidi and mamadou. Bobo always took my kids swimming and played table tennis and i felt really safe when he was looking after her he always made sure she wasn't bored and normally i wouldnt leave my kid with anyone but i felt that i could really trust him and all the entertainment staff. If i didn't meet them then i don't think my holiday would have been as good as it was. They place was lovely and i loved the drinks , the bar staff was really nice always made us laugh. Also the shop just at the entrance was very handy and had alot of stuff for present and alot of british thongs aswell. I really loves Tunisia and cant wait to go back in the summer as it was fantastic and should be even more amazing in the summer.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Lyndsayhalliday
Livingston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I traveled with a friend at the end of January, being stressed with work and organising my wedding I really needed a break and with only paying £275 for all inclusive and Thomson raving about how great this place was, we thought we'd done well.

The flight was fine and we enjoyed relaxing and having a few drinks on the flight but arriving at the hotel was something else. It was around 9.30pm we arrived, so it was dark but we had our luggage taken to our room by a 'porter' who looked more like a bouncer. He stood wandering around our room, obviously desperate for a tip – with no dinar we advised we only had english to which he took £5 and walked off.

First impression of the room was that it was okay, a little more modern that some of the hotels I'd stayed in previously so I guess it was good for the money we paid. The only issue we had was that we were in a building away from the main complex with a lot of stairs to climb and a bath that my friend (and I) struggled to get in and out of for a shower. With my friend having a bad leg this was a problem, but in the morning we spoke with Omar (from the Omar Khayan lol) who was nothing but pleasant. He went out of his way to get us moved into a room with a walk in shower for my friend and even came and moved all our bags for us, despite being a member of the reception team and not a porter himself.

We couldn't fault Omar for the duration of our holiday he waved when he saw us and would ask how we were and if we needed anything. He'd answer any questions we had without making us feel stupid and spoke very good english which always made things easier. Over all a pleasant and lovely man a great asset to the Omar Khayam!

The food in the hotel is literally the worst 'all inclusive' I've ever experienced in my life and I've been to places like Turkey and done all inclusive, so I expected it to be something similar. For our first breakfast we dined on 2 boiled eggs and warm bread with a glass of water. There is no fizzy juice machine if you would like a glass of fizzy with your meal, there was an omelette bar but it was incinerated in oil! There was pizza available at night as a 'snack' and this was about the most we ever ate in the hotel. Most of the food and hotel was closed off as they classed it 'out of season'. Not great if you haven't taken any other money to spend, luckily we had.

We ate out every day at the Orangina café, just off to the left of the hotel main entrance. They have great fast wifi so it's brilliant to keep in touch with those back home. The food is good too and really well priced. The only problem is that the menu is in french but you get the gist of what's available to order. They offer a free basket of bread on arrival which is great, but you tend to find you get this every where. The Nutella crepes are lovely, as is the cheeseburger and omelettes.

If you walk down to the high street (which is left once you leave the hotel) you'll find there are a lot of men hassling you to come into their shop – pretty much the same as if you get in Turkey. The only problem is that I have blonde hair, so men would slow down in cars to shout at us, toot their horns and generally be creepy perverts. They are obsessed with touching you and kissing your hand, which I felt was a bit too much.

We dined at Panorama near the top of the high street (roughly 5 minutes walk away) and it was lovely, very well laid out, clean and the waiter was so very sweet to us. The only problem being is that people can still smoke in the restaurant, which coming from Scotland where that's now illegal, takes a bit of getting used to. Again free bread, butter, dips, tuna and olives on arrival and the prices were great. We had a steak dinner with a desert and drinks and it only cost 59 dinar (£23.60 at the current exchange rate). It's very cheap to eat out or to spend money in the country in general, but it's a bit disappointing when you book all inclusive and can't make use of it.

Back in the hotel staff you are hounded by the hotel to go camel rides or quad biking. After being very stern with them they left us alone until the last day. The 'animation team' were a nightmare. Every day/night they were obsessed with sitting beside us, chatting about whether or not we were coming to their show and if we wanted to go out with them afterward. They were perverts and would be obsessed with practically leaning over us and sitting so close it made me feel really uncomfortable and really stressed out.

They would ask us to get them drinks from the bar, despite supposedly not being able to drink due to their religion. They told us they openly used drugs and would be able to get us some if we wanted any and personally I found their 'animation show' far too focused on the French in the hotel. When asked for some UK chart music they looked at us like we were nuts.

The young bar man would not leave me alone, he refused to serve me drink without giving him a kiss – despite me telling him no and that I was engaged to be married on several occasions. He would walk past us and stair at me, he made gestures toward my chest continually. It got to the point where other guests were looking at me because of the way the young men would act.

Now, I'm a Scottish lass who loves to have banter and a good time but this made me feel stressed out, angry and reluctant to even attend their show's in the evening because of the way they made us feel. Quite frankly it's a disgusting way for any guest to be made to feel regardless of her hair colour! I would also like to point out I would sit at night with jeans and a T-shirt on because the weather was that bad, so it wasn't as if my clothes were in any way provocative – regardless.

The weather was rubbish when we arrived, wind and rain most of the week with the occasional burst of sunshine.

We decided to take up the Spa package offered by a nice lady who came into the hotel reception. It cost us £60 for the three days and involved a sauna treatment, a seaweed scrub, exfoliation, full body massage x 3, a deep cleansing facial, reflexology on our feed and a Jacuzzi bath which worked different parts of your body. Overall this was the best part of the holiday, but I would warn anyone wishing to take part that it's apparently a 'European Spa' which means you're expected to take your top off to have the seaweed scrub and sauna session. Being curvy this came as a massive shock when the woman pulled my top down!!

We met Sam in the little shop on the hotel site - 'smiley Sam' as he called himself. He was lovely, always went out of his way to wave and say hello and gave us a bangle free of charge with our names in arabic. Unfortunately the owner and the younger shop workers weren't so pleasant, hassling us to sell our iPhone 5's to them and following us around the shop trying to force us into buying things.

Our rep Addie was a bit hit and miss. We attended the welcome meeting and he seemed nice enough, but when we explained to him we weren't feeling the hotel and asking if it was safe to venture out as two single ladies he seemed to brush us off a bit. It also seemed like he dreaded any time we came to ask him some questions, which made us feel like we would be easier texting the Thomson 24/7 line instead of facing him. For some reason I managed to purchase 2 litres of alcohol at Glasgow and got into Tunisia with them (apparently you're not supposed to). When I explained to Addie about taking them home with me he told me I wouldn't get back into Glasgow with them, despite purchasing them from Duty Free in Glasgow. So I sold him a bottle of Bells Whiskey for 30 dinar (so I wouldn't lose the money I'd paid), so in that sense he did help us that way but sadly I learned if I'd have sold them to the bar staff at the hotel I would have gotten upwards of 50 dinar.

Overall I wouldn't go back to the Omar Khayam or maybe even Tunisia (not sure what the other areas are like). Thanks again to Omar, Sam and the waiter at Panorama – you helped make our holiday that little bit better.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stacey B

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammamet
Dar Khayam Hotel
#46 of 117 in Hammamet
Le Zenith Hotel
Le Zenith Hotel
#98 of 117 in Hammamet

Been to Omar Khayam Club? Share your experiences!