“3 Stars for a 3 Star”
Review of Omar Khayam Club

Omar Khayam Club
Ranked #45 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Let me start by saying the hotel staff and everyone we met on this holiday were amazing. The staff could not do enough and there were activities throughout the day to keep everyone entertained. But let me also echo what everyone else is saying - this is a 3* hotel, please don't expect anything more.
We arrived at 11am, if you arrive in the morning be prepared to wait until 1.30pm for your room to be ready. No welcome drink, just pointed to the pool bar AND you will be waiting for 12.30 for anything to eat. Be prepared. First impression - lots of plastic chairs everywhere.
The room was clean and cleaned everyday, although our bathroom had a massive puddle in after a shower as set up was not quite correct.
The food? Put it this way, our last meal was bread. I am not a typical British, I wasn't expecting pizza and chips. I tried lots of the rice, pasta and local dishes. However me and my partner both got upset tummies and the choice of what we could eat got less and less. Please also be warned that while we were there the staff were filling up the half empty water bottles and putting them back out. This definitely didn't help our tummies as it wasn't until it was pointed out that we realised. We assumed that the bottles put out were new, big mistake. Some mornings all the bottles were opened.
You get what you pay for, it's as simple as that. We won't be returning but that doesn't mean that you won't love it.

Room Tip: We had 2430, it was pretty quiet although balcony got no sun during the time we were there
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara39000

Reviewed September 30, 2013

What can I say that the negative points which have been stated on here are a bit unfair in my opinion, yes it does have room for improvement with the food and rooms but apart from that wow!
The entertainment team was the highlight of my holiday especially MP3 & TOTO, these guys need a gold medal for the work they do along with the other animation team members but these 2 are by far the best.
The food is ok, but I was quite unwell with some of it but that's what I expected going to a foreign country it can't be helped.
The rooms were lovely but basic, it stated it had been 'modified for summer 2013', which I guess you could say it had but I would say it had been patched up, from the pictures on here of the hotel before it has had a lick of paint and a change of bed linen that all as far as I can see.

We went on a few excursions whilst there including the pirate ship(amazing)' trip to an animal park which was good although we had a bit of trouble getting there as we were told to get off the coach as this one was for the German people and we got transported to another one. Bu all turned out good in the end and I had a great time.

It was my birthday whilst there and the waiters , animation team and hotel staff were so lovely, they made me a proper birthday cake with chocolate icing( I was expecting a cake like the ones you get a desert at meal times but I wasn't), the evening entertainment they got me on stage and sang happy birthday to me in front of everyone, I shared my birthday with TOTO's daughter Linda so it was a very nice night. If any of them read this I would like to thank them for making my day so special!!!

I hope to return to tunisia again!
Lucy x

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same, we was based in the actual hotel near reception and that was nice
4  Thank Lucyj2109
Reviewed September 30, 2013

First of all, all I can say is please don't listen to all the negative reviews on here as it will put you off your holiday before you have even got there. You have to be there and try the hotel for yourself, but I would like to remind all that have booked this is a three star Tunisian hotel , not a five star tunisian hotel so you are not going to get 5* service in a 3* hotel.

I am somewhat annoyed by the reviews on here that have totalled slated this hotel as for what you pay for a weeks all inclusive in this hotel, you certainly get value for money.

We travelled with friends from 22 September - 29 September 2013. We arrived and were checked in promptly. Our rooms were not ready but it gave us time to grab a drink, exchange some money and have a wonder around and get our bearings.

Rooms: Are basic, and clean, linen and towels changed every other day if not every day.

Food & Drink: None of us had a problem with the food at all there was something for everyone and was to a good standard. Food was hot and varied every night. The only food that I ever saw repeated was pizza and chips. Drinks were on tap at dinner and for this all you had to do is tip the waiter a few dinar when you first arrive and he will look after you the whole holiday ensuring your glass is filled and everything is okay.

Bars: There is sometimes a small queue at the bars but it takes a minute or so to be served. Drinks are not too varied, but having said that there is somethign for everyone to drink.

Staff: Fantastic, couldn;t say more. Whalid on arrival was fantistic and showed us where things were and could be found. Sammy in Dinner was exceptional and deserves a gold star. Everyone was happy, friendly and happy to assist if needed. The staff certainly were not miserable. The only time they were miserable I found was if people were rude. In myeyes then, what do you expect.

Beach: Lovely. had to pay for a matress topper if you wished your sunbed to be more comofrtable. Sea was warm and clean. Free Kayaking, caramarans, pedloes etc for use.

Flumes were just great fun, there isn't always a lifeguard there to supervise the flumes but it does warn you on signs around that area of what times the flumes are not manned by a lifeguard.

The Cafe bar across the road from the hotel is fantiastic for a tunisain tea and a shisha. Full of locals and they make you welcome not feel intimidated.

We had a great holiday and it was great value for money. Ignore the bad reviews and make your own mind up.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Piglet30
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so lets clear up a few things about this hotel..... it says its a 3 star hotel so guess what? You will be staying in a 3 star hotel so dont expect a 5* hotel as quite a few reviews are moaning about the hotel standards! however the entertainment was 5* from beginning to end and the service of the staff was brilliant.
Rooms:
standard, clean and equipted to what you need. Maid cleaned room daily and always clean towels, bathroom a little dated but Again its a 3* so no complaints for me.
food:
Was ok, loved the pancake days and different options of eggs for breakfast. Food was quite repititive but there was a lovely restaurant just outside the hotel which was extremeley cheap, which was good to mix it up a bit. Drinks outside at the bar is actually coca cola and fanta (the real stuff) inside its the cheaper coke so go outside bar.
Staff:
Made my holiday. All staff from cleaners to bar staff were polite, helpful and very hardworking! Was there a week and didnt see any of them have a day off and working very long shifts! older guy at the outside bar was so sweet and Toto and mp3 were amazing, spoke almost every language possible which made everyone feel welcomed and deffiantly put a smile on our faces. The rest of the entertainment were great, spoke to everyone and getting people involved in the games and dances! Join in...

Overall:
Yes theres flies but that was a positive to not seeing a single wasp, plus it was the season for flies apparently! Beach was lovely, clean and nice sand! Me and friends are happy to return next year as we felt it was good value for money.

Tip:
Go on the quad biking trip... was woth every penny (like £17)
The 'day trip' guys will listen if you say no and dont keep nagging! (Camel man aka Willy being a funny one of them)

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Leanne0000
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just returned from this hotel and wouldn't recommend it to anyone the waiters and animation or spot on and cant do enough for you.The food and hygene of the place is awful there was 16 guests that had to be moved and yes I was one of them.I have been to Tunisia 3 times before and never gone through this before the area of Hammamet is not what you would expect.I had a taxi ride to Yasminne Hammamet much better pleas don't get confused with the two

3  Thank 939mark
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel is very clean. Basic rooms but plenty good enough. The staff really make this hotel worth visiting, they are so friendly and funny. The only thing that lets this hotel down is the food and drink. The food is ok at best but you need to be careful what you eat stay away from meat they cook while you wait as it often isn't cooked properly, absolutely do not eat the sausages. All 7 in our group were ill after eating them. Do not eat outside at the pool diner as its open air and there are flies everywhere. They only have one beer which is ok as a shandy. Limited spirits. Only vodka whiskey or gin and they can only make one cocktail. They do have bottled diet coke which is mainly what I drank to try and avoid stomach ache from drinking anything watered down.
The hotel allow a few locals to sell trips on resort but are not pushy just friendly. I would highly recommend the quad bike excursion, it was the best thing I did in 10 days. Pirate ship trip was worth the visit just for the fact that we saw dolphins while out at sea. Amazing.
Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel so don't let the food be a reason not to visit. They arrange games all day from water polo to beach volleyball a daily quiz, pool games to mention just a few. Overall I would defo go back but more likely self catering as its so cheap to eat out and there are lots of cafe bars just across the road.
The location is great, on the beach with sun shades and plenty of sunbeds.
The resort has a spa which do fantastic massages from £10 if you haggle a bit.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room as there are no lifts
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarah O
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have previously been at this hotel from the 11th of September till the 25th of September. The room was basic but liveable. Their is only a handful of staff that is pleasant and one who was exceptional that made every one welcome the older gentleman at the pool bar with the glasses. the food is left uncovered and the flies were having a buffet every time it was meal time, if you dared you had to fight the flies for the food. nothing was done to prevent them on the food. the food was cold and nothing for British people unless you had pre-cooked chips which were un- edible and greasy.The choice of the drink was limited to Gin, Vodka, Whiskey and Beer, oh and soft drinks that used the syrup which had to be mixed with there water. the cleaning around the pool area was awful, they would dip their dirty buckets and cloths in the children's pool to clean the pool area.The entertainment was appalling they were too busy chasing the young ladies about rather than trying to put on a performance.For reasons i don't wish to go into, we got to eat and have entertainment at the Dar Khayam, this is Omar Khayam sister company across the road from complex The professionalism, food and entertainment were far superior at this hotel, i think i would have enjoyed coming here instead.

3  Thank Fiona H