“Exceptional for the price I paid” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omar Khayam Club

Omar Khayam Club
Ranked #50 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
Ilkley, United Kingdom
“Exceptional for the price I paid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just back this morning, and I cannot see what people are complaining about. I have been to Tunisia 4 times now, and people need to remember this is a Three Star Hotel. It provides three star service, very well. Rooms are basic and clean. I am tall, and my feet stuck out the end of the bed, but hey, they did that at the Hilton as well. Aircon in my room was excellent, and bed comfortable.

Food caters for all nationalities. On Thursday they had a 5 foot long Tuna fish carved in front of you for the freshest grilled tuna steak ever. There is an al a carte restaurant,free once per week, where the traditional Tunisian meal was lovely. There were five of us in our party, and you could always take your meal outside from the main restaurant to the "La Brise" barbecue restaurant.

People do try and sell you things - some sanctioned by the hotel and some not. Say "No" and they go away. It happens everywhere in Africa. The "veteran" staff are all very friendly because they speak many languages, some of the younger ones are just not confident in their language skills - never found any sign of rudeness.

If you want 5* then pay several hundred extra and go to the Riu Palace. I had a great holiday and would not hesitate to go back.

10 Thank David C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I went with my family at beginning of June it cost a lot of money for all inclusive it is mainly Russian and German speaking and the food is catered for them it is cabbage most of the time and slop I wouldn't give my dog most of the English people on the resort were like us not eating and having to look elsewhere for food but outside the complex there are no restaurants we didn't eat for three days and eventually had to upgrade to another hotel the rep was only there for an hour in the evening no English entertainment one snack bar that did the same horrible food as the al a carte restaurant t and one pool side bar with 3 bar men serving so be prepared tp que foe a beer . I found the staff not helpful and expected us to eat boiled chicken and rice for two weeks . I don't think so. Please take this review serious if you can't eat foreign food then don't go here

3 Thank Helen M

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Arrived on the 5 june,the staff are rude thats if they converse in English , the food is not fit to give a dog , i would NOT give it to my dog , the entertainment is a Joke all in French in a dingy inside room.You have to sit where your told at meal times , the drinks are rubbish and have to pay for ice cream.

The room was crap the door rattled and had to be wedged in order to get some sleep , i spoke to the rep at the hotel about the poor quality of the food and was told to "JUST ASK FOR CHICKEN". needless to say the rep even left a few days later !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at this hole for 2 days with wife and 2 children we starved for 2 days , i had to upgrade to the Holiday villiage or return back to the UK as we could not have stayed at this hotel , i could go on forever about this crap place,

If you are English DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE , this was recomended by First choice they should be ashamed.What they don't tell you is that the indoor pool and Gym belong to the sister hotel which is the other side of the road.

4 Thank JessicaMay123
Leominster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Went to this hotel to relax away from life and got what I wanted. 10 nights in the middle of June, excellent price and in one of my favourite countries in the world, having travelled to over 70 of them. The staff were superb, even when we turned up on the 1st night, tired from over 15 hours travelling. Omar told us to leave the cases behind reception and get some food down us. The next day, we were sat at our table for the holiday, surrounded by Brits (not always a good thing in my book!) Fair play to all who sat around us, not one whine and some really good laughs, so many thanks. The waiters were excellent, especially Isham (apology if the name is spelt wrong,) a young lad whose customer skills are excellent.
The bar staff at both the pool bar and the inside bar were excellent and quite humorous. It was pretty obvious to anyone, the staff couldn't stand the Russians either. I think even the Russians hate the Russians. Thankfully, there weren't many Russians in the hotel. Plenty of Polish, Czech, Georgians, English, Scots, French, German and even a few of us Welsh, but not many Russians (thank God!!!)
The food was normal standard buffet, as can be found anywhere from Spain to Sierra Leone at a 3* AI hotel. I managed to make a different combination at every meal time, enjoying the lot. Definitely plenty of choice, even for the pickiest eater (unless you only eat burgers.) Worst comment I heard though was "it doesn't cater for the British." News flash muppets, Britain's high street has Chinese, Indian, Italian, Greek, Turkish and Yank foods on it. If you want "British" food, either go to Blackpool and eat pub grub or the Costa DelSol. The foods on offer were Kebab, stews, curries, pastas, salads, eggs, sausage, pizza, rices, and many traditional Tunisian dishes. One night, they did a beef Wellington, which was superb as was the beef stew a few days later.
Only one minor irritation. There was only one plug socket in the room, meaning when my boss was prettying herself up, I couldn't be using the socket.
Met some really great people, including Yasmin and Sara, who managed to drag me up on the dance floor before I had even got a beer in! Met plenty more great people as well and hope we meet up on holidays or for a meal again sometime.
Can't believe some of the reviews written about the hotel (Tony G, Puma0217 etc.) These are as far away from the truth as possible.
Even the lad selling nuts around the hotel will only ask if you want some. As soon as you say "no thanks" he'll wish you a good day and move on.Normally in Tunisia the sales people are on your backs constantly, with at least one every 30 mins bothering you. This hotel doesn't allow that to happen. You have the lad selling trips (he'll ask as you walk by,) the girl from the spa (she walks round the pool, both of these do this only once a day) and the lad selling the most gorgeous toasted almonds (about 3 times a day, including the evening, when the entertainment is on.) Certainly not bothering by 3rd world holiday destination standards.
Even the entertainment team tried their hardest, speaking up to 6 languages to do their shows. Even managed to get me playing water polo ( I'm 49 and not exactly small!) All in all, a good laugh.
I've always found, if you are tidy with others and speak to them as you want to be spoken to, they respond well and are polite back. If you're pig ignorant, well...
Beware, if you have a disability (as I do, ) there is no lift in the hotel and could be 4 flights of stairs to an upstairs room. There are plenty of ramps around the hotel ground floor (where there are a few stairs.)
Very good value for money holiday and will be going back in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Dewi1jack
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have just got back from spending two great weeks here!

We are a family of four who stayed here with two friends. Please do not believe the bad reviews as I find them rubbish and wrote by mindless people who are expecting a five star hotel. If you go with a three star hotel in mind you will not be is disappointed in the slightest and we found it to be value for money.

The rooms were newley renovated with a modern feel, cleaned daily and fresh towels available every day if required. Maid even made swans with towels with flower petals on beds :-) Pool was lovely and clean and poolside was cleaned early mornings as i saw staff do it. There were plenty of sunbeds, chairs and parasols available by pool and on private beach for free. Although get down before 9am to reserve table near pool as can be busy.

I found food fantastic and lots of choice ie pastas, pizza, chips, potatoe dishes, meat, seafood and veg dishes. There was different dishes served on different nights but main ones were the same. Food was put out hot constantly but go earlier to guarantee this. Remember there is no bacon, pork sausages or beef burgers. Restaurant was clean and we got our own table as 6 of us.. This was our table for the two weeks and on the first night the waiter put candles and flowers on ( nice touch :-) ) breakfast was fried eggs some days or omelettes, pancakes, sausages (not pork), toast, French pastries, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc.... A good enough choice, there was a machine to serve yourself teas and coffee. Waiters were lovely and very polite!

Water park in resort was just right with 7 water slides that the kids and adults loved alike! Bars were available next too both pools just no wine or spirits at water park bar. Coco bar o
By main pool was great serving all main spirits, wine and beer. The coke was proper coke to as saw the diet coke in sealed bottles. Bar staff were lovely especially Chokari!

Lastly the entertainment was fabulous!! The animation team worked very long hours all day from 10am til the early hours! They were so friendly and welcoming. Games were great and changed so not repetitive. There was a wide choice of activities including darts, beach football, water polo etc and kids club was great!! A big thank you to Saleem (Slim), Toto, Madji, Hasseen, Waida and Auyoub just to mention a few!!

Hotel right on a long golden beach with clear blue skies everyday....a great holiday :-))

The Gerrard Family

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Keirarichard
Wigan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

My partner and I regularly stay in 'all inclusive' hotels and this has definitely got to be the worse. I would never usually write a review but felt so disappointed with our stay here I has to share my experience.
Firstly when we arrived we had to wait until 2pm to go to our room which was a little annoying as we arrived around 10am. When we did get shown to our room it seemed ok, basic but ok. During the 10 days we were there we kept noticing things - only little things but it all adds up. Damp patches in the room, air con smelt rusty, light above the mirror was broke (so was difficult to do makeup etc.) no soap/shower gel in the bathroom, the beds were really uncomfy I slept ok but my partner being 6 foot 3 had a terrible sleep. the beds had really sharp corners too we both had bruises were we scraped are legs walking past it. Luckily nothing more major but a small child could easily fall and hit their head for example.

So then there's the food which I find it impossible for anyone to say it is 'nice'. ok day 1 you can put up with the food but after the same thing every day/night and unless you got there as soon the restaurant opened which is just chaos you basically get left overs. Some of the people staying there put you off even eating - grabbing things and then putting them back for other people to take, getting five plates each and just generally being really greedy! Packing there bags with the fruit (which there wasn't much of). Anyway we ate out a few times as it became unbearable to eat there. The table situation was ridiculous as well, we ended up just sitting were we wanted because there was never any cutlery on our table - and most days you had to either wait for plates to get your food or other things like mugs in a morning. We were hardly served by a waiter for drinks and usually had to get our own.

The entertainment was quite poor too I understand there was a lot of nationalities staying at the hotel but as a Thomson hotel you expect there to be something decent on a couple of nights (there wasn't!)

The only nice thing about the hotel was we could always get sunbeds an the beach was decent.

All in all I would definitely not stay there again and would not recommend for anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

where to start - I don't even know where to begin..... on arrival the room wasn't ready, waited at least an hour for it, reception staff were rude to say the least. The room was very dirty, dust flying everywhere, the wardrobes were new but that was the only good thing. The shower was broken, the hairdryer was broken and the toilet didn't flush for the whole holiday, couldn't change rooms as apparently no other rooms were available. The room cleaners - well I didn't see one cleaner the whole holiday! no clean towels left, no beds made, asked the reception to send the cleaner with clean towels, she didn't come! the complex was dirty, every single thing you touched was dirty, sunbeds, tables, broken parasols... service was more than terrible, waiters and bar staff all acted like they just didn't care, no friendliness at all, even felt guilty ordering a drink! to that point there were no juices, only fizzy, the food ohh the food is beyond words, the hygiene level of the whole hotel is beyond the bottom of the barrel, words can not describe to you how bad it actually was. plates dirty, cutlery dirty, chefs with no gloves on, pancakes being cooked on the same tray as sausages, under cooked meat, rock hard bread and rolls, soggy veg, the only thing I ate was chips when they were available, the snack bar had birds all in the food, waiters or staff didn't even care they just left the birds chewing on the food. everything was chargeable, sunbed mattresses, beach towels, safe, fridge for the room, even had to pay for the nightly entertainment which was bingo every single night! and buy your own bingo ticket! entertainment was horrific, animation team were lazy and did not entertain, all they was worried about was selling trips and t-shirts... every single tourist on the complex was complaining, The rep had a queue of people wanting to complain, actually felt sorry him... not one person in that complex enjoyed it, the English spirit was great as we all got together and enjoyed our time together but not one person was happy with the hotel, the service, the charges, the food, the drinks, the entertainment, nothing.... there are so many bad things to write about that I don't want to bore people reading this. I got compensation from the holiday company I booked with and quite honestly this hotel should be taken off all sites advertising it. Completely horrendous experience that words can not describe. even broke down in tears while I was there, I so badly just wanted to come home. this hotel has put me off ever going to Tunisia again. please take my word for it, don't waste your hard earned cash on this dump.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lucy f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammamet
Hotel Club President
#5 of 6 in Nabeul
Hotel Club Les Colombes
Hotel Club Les Colombes
#46 of 123 in Hammamet

Been to Omar Khayam Club? Share your experiences!