“Don't let the bad reviews put you off.”

Concorde Hotel Marco Polo
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
ascot
“Don't let the bad reviews put you off.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

So my friend and I booked this holiday through first choice from 16th – 27th June. Being two 18 year old girls, we started to panic by reading the bad reviews of people targeting young, blonde girls (especially as I’m blonde) and that things were getting stolen from rooms. It got to the point where we weren’t too excited to come on holiday, simply because of these reviews.
I have to say, some reviews are completely wrong – the hotel is nice, the pool is lovely and we ALWAYS managed to get sunbeds without reserving them, even if we sometimes went down to the pool at 11am.
I have to admit the pool guys are the main people that we had trouble with, they just made unnecessary comments – on the first day they came up to me and was like “you are more beautiful than your friend” and being referred to as “Pamela Anderson” throughout the holiday was a little uncomfortable! Fortunately it was relatively easy to stay out of their way.
The beach was pleasant enough, we didn’t spend too much time on there because we preferred to be by the pool, but people who say the beach is rubbish and dirty are over-exaggerating a little. Yes it’s not the prettiest beach in the world, but it’s not as disgraceful as people made out. There’s also a camel on the beach! We managed ride the camel for only 10dinars which was quite a good deal we thought – the water sports were okay, canoes and peddle boats the usual, nothing too special.
I also have to say that the people who have commented that the animation team are ‘useless and rubbish’ have kind of angered me, yes some of the performances are a bit naff but they work TIRELESSLY to entertain people and get people involved and if you don’t then they don’t pressure you. They have to work in that blistering heat from 10am throughout the day, before then doing performances in the evening, it is tiring and they only have one day off a week but they ALWAYS seem to have a smile on their face.
If you think about all the different routines that they have to learn, alongside their excellent language skills (we counted that they can speak 6 different languages!!) You’d be quite impressed! Like I said, the evening entertainment can seem a little bit naff but if you’re open to enjoying it and allow yourself, you’ll actually have a good time! Special shout out to nana, spider, chehab, fihras, pepito and lilo (hope I haven’t forgotten anyone…)

Our room was nice, we got a sea view room and was right above reception so we got a wifi signal. We did ask for two separate beds however instead we got two beds pushed together, but we couldn’t be bothered to complain about that as otherwise we were happy with our spacious room. Air conditioning and fridge we found didn’t seem to be that cold, sometimes the air conditioning was the right temperature and other times found that we needed it to be a little cooler. The maintenance man came to check out our air conditioning and when my friend opened the door, he refused to come up until he knew it wasn’t just her in the room which I think was really good.
We found the maid was pretty useless for us, she never seemed to make the effort that other people have claimed to have got, (towels shaped as swans etc), so that was a bit of a shame. Also a little disappointing that there wasn’t any tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but there was one down in reception that wasn’t too much of an issue.
People who have claimed that valuables got taken out of their room should have made use of the free safe then really, it can happen anywhere – anyone can break into someone’s room and you have to be responsible to keep valuables in a locked suitcase or the safe, it’s just common sense really.
Food was absolutely fine, obviously it’s not going to be Michelin starred food but there did always seem to be a variety and there were no days where we felt like there was nothing good to eat. The Asian restaurant was particularly my favourite (you have to book it the day before). I also liked the way you had the same table for the duration of your stay, it was nice to have your own waiter assigned to you and remembered you and your drinks for the rest of the stay.
If you’re lucky enough to have Lotfi as your waiter, you’re very lucky – he’s absolutely lovely and so so cute! He put flowers on our table and remembered our drinks every day and I think he would have done this without expecting a tip. He was so polite and always engaged in conversation, he also works tirelessly all day and only has one day off – yet he’s always so happy and sweet.
Adie was our Thomson rep, you can make your own opinions on him really but what I will say is he didn’t seem to go ‘above and beyond’ as he claimed he would in the introduction meeting. Some people say he’s been super helpful to them, maybe he was just having an off day with us as he didn’t really seem to fussed to help but to be fair we never really went to him to ask questions other than about the excursions. The only disappointment I felt was that being blonde, we were warned by quite a few people on holiday not to venture out just me and my friend as we would get hassled like mad. This really bothered me to the point where I didn’t feel comfortable to go on any of the excursions, fortunately Adie didn’t try and force me to go and was quite accepting. If we were to return then we would probably get a big group together to be able to go and do an excursion.

Overall, really happy with the holiday and really miss it! It definitely makes me feel bad about feeling so low about it before going.
Another tip, take out your money AS YOU GO ALONG. Don’t take out more than you need because you get RIPPED off completely when changing it back, bit of a shame.
Other than that, please don’t let the bad reviews deter you from going here. If you allow yourself to have a good time, It’s a really lovely holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank helen o

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I had an amazing holiday here. The hotel really was brilliant, from the friendly and ever helpful staff to the spacious clean rooms and huge pool!
All of the staff were always incredibly helpful. The lifeguards would bring you over a parasol if you were sat near sun beds that didn't happen to have one. The reception staff were very efficient and could help with any enquiries. The animation team had endless amounts of energy and created a fantastic atmosphere around the pool for those who wanted to be involved. Adie, our Rep, was always there to offer advice when needed and was prepared to go above and beyond to help us out.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and am already thinking of booking another trip here.

3 Thank LJC789
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have recently returned from an amazing trip to RIU Marco Polo in Hammamet Tunisia. Firstly, the hotel is really amazing. The people are friendly and always prepared to help and they work incredibly hard - permanently!!! Secondly, the rep Adrian was absolutely outstanding. He helped me out with taking me to a local pharmacy when I injured my foot (before my holiday!) NOT DURING!!

He always wanted to make sure we were happy wth everything, he is a consummate professional, and an all round great guy.

He also joined myself and my Mrs and a few other guests for dinner and drinks and showed us some of the night life on offer in Hammamet.

I have been on a fair number of all inc holidays and Adrian is definately the best rep I have ever dealt with. I would highly recommend this hotel and also the rep Adrian (your lucky if you get him on your holiday).

People who have moaned about this hotel, package and people are moaning for the sake of it, you truly do get what you pay for and I have to say TUI have pulled this one out of the bag, also the new 787 Dreamliner is pure QUALITY!

Anyway more on the hotel:

Animation team - Great guys and girls.. Kept people busy, great to be around. Abdul, pepito, choch, Zach, Spider (scary crazy) they are genuinely nice people and good fun to be around!

Food - standard all inc food, all
very nice - you definately won't go hungry

Entertainment - standard RIU / most nights good fun and animation make it what it is.

Excursions - We can highly recommend

- Simply Sahara - Talk to your rep
- Zulu - Talk to your rep

Pool - Out of this world, massive, one depth and all in all just quality!

Room - HUGE, AMAZING, clean, comfortable.

Other activities

Ask to speak to Omar and Sadak who will take you through some other great things to do during your stay;

- Quad Bikes
- Pirate ship - boat trip

If you do go you won't be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank zXR1CHYXz
Wigan
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and received a warm welcome which gave us an instant idea of what the hotel will be like! The room was a lovely size with a clean bathroom and was cleaned very well every day by maids. The pool was huge so even with a packed out hotel you didn't feel to close to any other guests. It was nice and clean and all pool bar staff were great and were very quick with drinks orders despite being on Ramadan. There was always something going on in the day with the Animation Team who were fantastic entertainers as well as very genuine people. The food was lovely, breakfast lunch and dinner, the waiters were also very helpful.
Our Thomson Rep was Adie who was brilliant and we couldn't fault him! He was very approachable and helpful as well as knowing how to have a laugh with the guests! We plan to stay in touch with him as he was an amazing rep and Thomson should take pride in having such an excellent employee. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return to this Hotel and would recommend it to anyone planning on going to Tunisia.

2 Thank Jake P
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Adie our first choice rep was extremely helpful, he was friendly and always made time for us even on his day off. He is by far THE best rep we have ever had on a holiday. He told us useful information about the local areas and tips and tricks he had picked up. He is a genuine guy and we still keep in contact now. He made the holiday!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Thelindamassive
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

my new husband and I chose this hotel for our honeymoon destination.

I had informed the hotel in advise before leaving the UK that we were on honeymoon in a hope to be given a nice room - although we had paid extra when booking with First Choice for a room with a sea view. The rooms location was lovely - right at the end so we saw both the pool and the sea. We were disappointed with the decor of the room - seemed very tired and were expecting something a little more modern for a 4 star hotel. also we were disappointed with the 'surprise' that we had been informed that would be left in our room for our honeymoon - a bowl of 'going off' fruit and a bottle of red wine, which we gave away to another couple as we dont like red wine!

the hotel was lovely and clean - always been attended to and the staff were very helpful. i was surprised on our first full day there that all of the sun loungers by the pool are all taken/reserved by 8:30am! no lay-ins here if you want a seat! however there were always plenty available on the beach.

the First Choice/Thompson Rep Adie/Adrian was fantastic - so helpful so dont be afraid to contact him before or during the holiday with any queries you have

breakfast and lunch was good - nice selection even for the pickiest person - two out of the three restaurants served very similar food. we were disappointed that on the day of arrival, you have to decide whether you will be eating on the 'early shift' for dinner for the whole duration and that you couldnt just walk into the restaurant when you felt hungry. also you had to book the asian restaurant the day before if you wanted to eat there.

wifi - unless you have a room close to reception, reception is the only area you can get wifi, which in the mornings and afternoons is fine, but in the evenings, if your lucky enough to connect to it, then the internet is very slow - i dont think this hotel can cope with the demand on the wifi/internet in the evenings from guests

Pests - i dont mean the animal or insect kind - i mean people hassling you to buy excursions. within a few minutes of walking out to the pool, we were harassed by people wanting to sell us quad bike, camel or pirate ship experiences. I had done my research before going on holiday and had decided to book these with a private company called Visit Tunisia so that I could get as much detail as to what each excursion would involve and not feel rushed into buying it. I amde the mistake of telling the 'pests' that I had already arranged it with another company and they were very annoyed - continued to hassle us for days afterwards demanding who we were going with - they then stalked us and had an agruement with lady when we met her. They also followed us when we were about to leave the hotel to go on the quad biking excursion and had another argument with the private taxi man. I was so horrified that they treated us this way - i advised the man that I had approached the company and that the company had not encrouched the hotel to sell the excursion to us. They are obviously not used to competition out there so be warned.

i am very glad however that I did use this separate company to book the 3 excursions (quad biking, camel riding and horse riding on the beach) as it was a more initimate experience and wasnt stuck with a lot of other tourists being restricted/slowed down.

for al restaurant visits at the Marco Polo - no swim wear is allowed or it has to be covered up accordingly - this way you wont get turned down like we were on the first day!

the hotel shops - dont bother buying soverniers etc from them as they are very expensive - even with the 20% discount that hotel users get - you can just walk down the road to the shops and get something half the price that they are asking for with a good bit if bartering!

the pool - this is the biggest pool in Tunisia! it is fab and the swim up bar is brilliant too - even during a busy time - theres still plenty of room.

the beach - i read alot of comment about it being messy and there being lots of camel poo - well when we went it wasnt messy and no camel poo - just some seaweed which is round and looks like camel poo! there is some great water sports to do on the beach - we did the parachute and the jet skis (bartered to get the price down on these and the pictures afterwards) - these are a must as so much fun! we also did the free karyaking and pedaloes.

i would recommended this hotel and we dont have any regrets with chosing it for our honeymoon

Room Tip: depends on how important wifi is to you! if your not bothered then choose one on the 2nd floor at th...
2 Thank herts_babeuk
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I don't always think it is the best idea to stay for a second time at the same hotel however having stayed in Tunisia many times before this hotel was fabulous last year. My daughter (aged 17) and her boyfriend wanted to come so we thought lets stay at one that we know is good

NOT A MISTAKE

I am not going to repeat all what the other rave reviews say but add
Food fabulous and plentiful. Love the fish, the tagines, the salads, the carvery
Air con in room was great, left it on all day and the room was icy cold, yum
Staff so friendly, a tip does go a long way however not mandatory
Room cleaned every day and the towels made into swans and hearts with petals, so cute
Cocktails not strong, however if you wanted them stronger wow did they make them strong
Pool so large and warm, clean water. Pool man hoovered the pool bottom every morning
Swim up bar such a lovely respite as was jolly hot (July 10-21st)
Beach not the cleanest definitely, but it seemed to depend on the weather if you got the seaweed, some days like a mill pond, warm and no seaweed at all, others, fab waves and some seaweed but it is not like we get in England, just small bits of straw.
Beach beds were plentiful and no need to reserve at all
Pool beds, if you want to be able to turn them around in line with the sun for sunbathing, best to go near the Medierranean restaurant, which is a gravelled area. We did reserve however many days there wasn't a need and we were in July. No one removed towels from the beds as per previous reports.
Dont be intimidated by sellers on the beach as if you say no they just go away
The kids did do the para gliding which is fixed price but absolutely fab.
The kayaks and pedloes are free so give them a go, they give you all the safety vests
If you wish to buy cigarettes then if you turn left from the hotel entrance, the second shop on the opposite side of the road sells genuine cigarettes, 30 dinars for 200 L&M blue. Be aware that we have heard some cigs sold on the beach are not good, don't know as we didn't buy them.
Water bottles, 2 litre bottles are delivered to your room, order them at reception.
Swimming towels, no need to take your own as you get a card from reception with your room number on and you exchange daily for your towels. They are better as they are longer to fit the sun beds. Maybe not the best quality however great for what you need and saves weight in your suitcase.

All in all, we had a fab time (11 days) and am definitely going to visit again. When you know you have a great hotel, why chance another. Loved the animation team although we didn't choose to play darts, boules etc. the option is there and if you wish you can really get involved

Stayed July 2013