“best holiday”

Ranked #16 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“best holiday”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Arrived at hotel and was greeted by very friendly members of staff. The rooms were excellent and the hotel overall was at top standards. The food at the hotel had a good variety for everyone. From the clearners upwards, the service was excellent , the entertainment team were very comical and we enjoyed every evening of their shows and loved to waking up to them of a morning with their dance. The beach was a really good touch to the hotel and he pool was exceptional. From the pictures online, the hotel matched the stadards of them. Will be returning, already saving for next year! Our party was from different age groups, young - old and we all enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms were outstanding
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Marie A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

just returned from a two week holiday at Marco Polo, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left we felt welcome. From Sala at the reception to Mohammad in the resturant. The Annimation team work so hard with very little resources. Momo, Mario and Luilo were amazing and the rest of the guys too, Kept our men folk entertained all day while we relaxed on our sunbeds.
We travelled with friends and Sala went out of his way to make sure we had rooms near each other, 4082 and 4076, with great views of the pool and sea.

Lovely clean rooms, we tipped the maid a couple of dinar a day and she looked after us well. Only fault is lack of tea making facilities in the room, though we took our own and the resturant staff made sure we had fresh milk.

The only other faults was probably lack of seating area in the lobby bar, and people smoking even at no smoking areas, and I also found men at dinner time in shorts offensive, no Im not a prude, I just think its disrespectful particularly as they were asked to were long trousers. One man wore the same pair of disgusting red shorts for the whole duartion of his stay day and night !!!!
Yes we would go back to this hotel perhaps a couple of weeks earlier as we found the weather breaking the last few days of our stay. Also feel that there maybe should be more tv channel choice for British guests not just the BBC World.....

Room Tip: we had rooms 4082 and 4076 overlooking pool and sea, far enough away from the entertainment not to b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Viv W
Kent
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked Hotel & Flights through First Choice call centre. Stayed for 11 nights from 17th October.

Flight:
I think the flight from Gatwick was about 3hours outbound and slightly less on return. There were no delays. Thomson flight to Enfidha had no TV shows or movies, maybe because it was a fairly short flight.

First Choice / Thomson no longer serve pre-paid in-flight meals as this option at booking has been scrapped unless it's Longhaul. You can now purchase hot & cold food and drinks on the flight. There are no complimentary drinks either! If you have a short flight with FC or TOM then i'd not recommend bothering with the hot food menu and just eat at the Airport! I think it was around £3.90 for a hot chicken fajita wrap which is not on the Nov menu...(it was flat and hardly any chicken inside!) + the same for the hot croque monsieur (nice filling but bread is rather small for the price!).. so next time I doubt i'd bother with the food unless it's Longhaul.
I was also disgusted that they can charge £3.80 for a 330ml can of Magners! In 2011 I'm sure they were selling 2 cans for about £5 or £6. Can't seem to find Magners in Duty Free and there's nowhere to buy it abroad.

Enfidha Airport:
Arriving here and actually getting out of the place took a long hour! Waited about 20mins for luggage to appear... In fact it took so long I was starting to wonder if my luggage was still in the UK! Finally it appeared! Then a long queue for passport control... then another x-ray of your luggage (like this never happened at Gatwick?!) then find your rep and find your Bus - easy!.
but then you have a driver happily loading your luggage onto the Bus but of course a tip is required.. and as you can't get any local currency until you get to the hotel.. this has to be in £ (or whichever your currency is) they are happy to accept! You kind of don't have much choice.. tip tip this is just the beginning! Tunisia has a closed currency so buying any Dinar just isn't possible until you get there. The hotel will exchange for you - no commission! but here's the catch... if you have lots of Dinar on you when you are about to fly home you have to change it back at the Airport before you board or they will take it from you if they find it.
The best thing to do is buy Dinar in small amounts during your stay, only when you need to.. or you will have to change it up at the airport and be charged 25% - rip-off commission!

Weather:
I was concerned about taking a holiday in the Med / North Africa in mid-Oct as I usually go and return before end of September. I'd read reviews elsewhere that Tunisia still has nice weather in Oct but the evenings can be slightly chilly. This is kind of true as there were a few slightly cooler evenings and I took a cardigan / sweater out with me most nights. I have to say I was slightly disappointed in the weather... although during the middle of the day it got fairly hot around 28 - 32 degrees... this was only once the thick clouds had passed in the mornings. This seemed to be the same most mornings in our 2nd week and you'd be lucky to see a perfect sunrise... Mornings were mostly cool and grey, I was wishing for the sun to come out! It finally did around 10am but being October... the slightly shorter days and the way the hotel building is facing, the sun would move diagonally from the Sea over the pool and then behind one side of the Hotel (the side that our room was on!) so our balcony never got any bright sunlight and anything I'd hand washed took nearly 3 days to dry out. I'm sure this is not the case in summer months but if you visit this hotel late in season then you might benefit from being on the sunny side of the hotel. I was fortunate enough to have a slight sea / pool view so I suppose you can't have everything:) Unfortunately the outdoor pool is not heated so this was a bit cold in October! October is still tanning weather... but i'd say you have to make the most of it. you don't feel hot or warm at 9am and then at about 4pm you'll notice the temperature drop and it's time to leave the pool area!

Room:
The room was really nice, really clean and everything seemed in good order. A good size flat screen TV, big balcony, sofa, v.good shower and plenty of hot water! Hairdryer (a bit naff!) An electronic Safe (which didn't work properly for us and our Rep had to convince the Hotel Reception that the batteries were dead! It was hard work but after 2 days they worked it out!).
The room was cleaned well everyday. It's customary to tip in Tunisia (of course:) so leaving out 2 - 3 Dinar a few times a week keeps the maid happy and you know your room will get cleaned well. It's just a small tip as £1 = about 2.5TD. After the problems we had with our room in Sharm el Sheikh last year, we were relieved to have such a nice room at the Marco Polo!

First Choice Rep:
I'd read about Mark in other reviews this year and I have to say he's the best holiday rep we have dealt with during a holiday. He's very approachable, kind, and puts all of his customers first. he will fight your corner if there's an issue with the hotel or its staff and he will resolve things. His welcome meeting is insightful, he does not highly recommend day trips or restaurants he doesn't think are worthy. Unfortunately Mark is not in Tunisia anymore... moved to Canary Islands and then on to Madeira. Hopefully his successor will be just as good!

The 2 restaurants he did recommend were the nearby Steakhouse (seemed to be run by a pleasant Scottish lady with many Tunisian staff) and the Bella Maria in Hammamet. We went to both and had lovely meals. The Bella was absolutely lovely, and was actually not expensive! Part of the price includes a return taxi too! (from Marco Polo). I wasn't keen on seeing living Lobsters on a tray but other than that it's probably the best place to dine! Definitely go there!

Hotel & Staff:
Welcome meeting as soon as your feet get through the front door... all you want to do is crash in your room and open your luggage, but in a way the meeting is a nice welcome to the RIU Hotel.
Reception insisted they deliver our luggage to our room... but this took 30mins. We did ask where our bags were and I got a sarky phone call to my room from Reception saying things are not done automatically there... basically you be good and we will be good to you were pretty much his words!. Not impressed.... as he was sounding like a bit of a knobhead! 30 mins to deliver bags is a long time if it means waiting around to do things. especially when you offer to take your own bag!

Hotel looks nice inside & out, the gardens are well maintained, pool area washed down every morning although some areas and rubbish bins were a bit neglected. The main restaurant 'Tunisia' is clean, spacious and looks very nice. There's always plenty of food laid out at set meal times... and the breakfast pancakes are pretty good! Wouldn't recommend the scrambled egg so stick with fried or poached. They do serve bacon which you wouldn't expect.. but some mornings it wasn't bacon, it was fried ham! Cheeky! When you arrive at the Hotel you should be given a table number for the breakfast / lunch duration of your stay. We were there for 5 days and didn't know this.. so we sat at any clean empty table and then on a Sunday night we were asked to move tables (had already started eating!!) The 2 staff were polite and quickly moved us but i just found this to be very rude and badly managed!! I was just getting over a stomach bug and really not in the mood to play musical tables. When we walked into the Tunisia restaurant there were no staff to check our table number... we didn't actually have one!

BTW stomach bug was not down to the hotel food or hygiene, it was from a restaurant we had to go to as part of the Walk on the wild Side day trip booked by First Choice. If you go on this trip... take a packed lunch and beware of where they take you to eat. If you get a stomach bug, buy SMECTA from the local chemist.. it does help the recovery so you can get on and enjoy your holiday. I felt unwell for 2 days and that meant missing out on important pancake time!

There are 2 other special meal nights here, the Asian and the Mediterranean. I wasn't overly impressed with the Asian (bookable in advance) but the table service was always good (tip helps:). A lot of the food can be the same day after day. If you get the deli belly and you simply want plain rice / bread.. it's hard to come by plain rice as most things are always full of herb & spice. I have to say that their Spaghetti was always nice but other pasta wasn't always cooked enough.. I could cook it better myself. For lunchtimes there's a smaller dining hall near the pool / beach, this wasn't so packed and was also well stocked, very clean etc. Unfortunately this closed during our 2nd week and many guests were not impressed! It was not end of season yet as we were all still guests there!

The pool bar in the day was nice, sometimes service was slow! The Oasis bar at night was nice and welcoming, the bar service needs improving (rather slow!) and this is also the same at bar Carthage in the lobby where the young male staff seemed more interested in flirting with young teenage girls than serving guests! Not impressed!

The shop inside the lobby is quite basic, sells more dodgy clothes and bags than essentials like imported snacks, gifts, toiletries etc + it shuts earlier than advertised! Lilos are allowed in the pool but this shop only had one on display and nothing to buy!
The entertainment team "Animation team" are a great bunch. hardworking, friendly... not overbearing... dress up most nights in silly costumes, they are a credit to the hotel. Lilou was funny! There is someone called James who we only saw on stage twice the whole time we were there, I gather he was the Animation Manager but on the outside it didn't seem like he did an awful lot! Some of the acts on stage were not that good but not too bad either... but the belly dancer girl just didn't seem interested in performing yet wanted applause! The illusion act didn't seem that impressive so we left half way through. We were not expecting cruise ship entertainment but some nights could have been a little bit better, however it was a definite improvement on Egypt's idea of entertainment! The drag act show was the best, as well as the 'man of the week' type competition, that had everyone on their feet having a good laugh! More stuff like that and it would be an improvement. The Animation team try hard and probably deserve a pay rise!

Beach:
Not overly impressed with the beach I have to say although the sand is golden yellow:) and there are jet ski's!. I'd seen photos on here before I went and I can see why others have not been happy with it. There are plenty of sun beds and we were not hassled by people selling things or offering camel rides although this does happen.

This beach is right near the Marina but could be cleaned up and maintained, it is slightly disappointing it has been neglected. The sunbeds are not stacked away or tidied up each day... this makes the beach look messy. Some straw parasols are broken and dumped. There is no decked path right up to the sunbed point and you could easily walk in some camel poop (this was right in my path...) camels and a horse are walked up and down the beach all day. Hope they get water!! I'd never go on a camel ride as the owners are crooks, I saw 2 families having disputes with them about the total cost of the ride for their kids... asking how much the ride costs you will never get a straight answer until it's time to pay... then you pay more! So just don't bother! If they see you taking a photo of their horse or camel they will moan and ask you to pay too. First Choice do not advise guests to go on these rides and they also tell you not to go out on your own into certain shops (this is largely aimed at females). other than this... the beach is alright, not the best looked after but not too bad just needs a clean and tidy up.

Some of my views may seem a bit negative but these are not major things... just hints for others to look out for. It is a nice hotel and I would still recommend it. The food is nice (catering for the masses!) the rooms were very clean... even the toilets in the lobby were amazingly clean! Plenty of bars to choose from in summer, lots of staff, lots of food... late drinking and 2 large pools.

Places:
On day trips we visited places such as Nabeul, Hammamet, Sousse, El Djem, Port el Kantoui and Monastir. Port el Kantoui was really nice, if I went back to Tunisia I would stay in that area. the marina is much more stylish than Yasmine Hammamet !! I would not visit Sousse again as it's large, built up and more industrial. Monastir beach looks nice and the place has lots of history.

The good things about Tunisia must be the summer sun, it's cheap with plenty to see and it also has a short short flight time!

Room Tip: Pick the sunny pool side not the sunset side!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank JPS_9
Halesowen, West Midlands UK
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Marco Polo. Great room, food and superb service. Weather great for November. Little disappointed first day when told we couldnt have sunbeds for the beach but got sorted after a few words.... It was between 23-29 degrees each day beach closed I think not.

Entertainment was ok enjoyed the drag act.... and River Dance.... well done the team.

Need to get either coffee/tea facilities in the room.

Staff outstanding particularly in the restaurant and bar staff knew your drinks small tip goes a long way.

Met some good people. Dont be afraid to go out and about nice walk around the marina. Dont get caught by the man on the beach with the camel and horses he tries to rip you off.

All in all a great quick break for the mad Christmas season

Room Tip: We were in room 4116 you had a slight sea view if you looked right from balcony but mainly looked ou...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Do-ya-wanna-smoke
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had seven nights stay at the end of the season, once the half termers had gone the hotel was nearly empty. The usual good standard of food and staff at RIU hotels were in place but first choice say its four star plus. We think tea making in your rooms would be very welcome, there was a need for a mothers area in the Tunisia restaurant to provide small size cutlery and feeding bowls as I saw parents having difficulty feeding under fives with large cutlery. Also I felt more effort could be made as far as catering for teens and children is concerned. Maybe cookies and milk shakes in the pool and table tennis area instead of pancakes in the afternoon? We had a problem getting a sunbed the first day but after that it was ok as long as you got down at breakfast time. The staff in this hotel were lovelly, however there were two incidents with ladies, one male staff member tried to kiss a lady and i had my bottom pinched as I was going in to dinner not funny really. Also ladies be aware that the beauty salon treatments are with men, all I wanted was a nail paint once the lady had removed the old polish I was left alone in a room with a man who made a mess of my nails so be sure to say you want a female for treatments if you are uncomfortable being alone with a non english speaking male. Lovelly hotel would go again met some really funny holidaymakers and had a nice breack.

Room Tip: go for a high room sea facing or pool view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank sunqueen44
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Yesterday, we returned from an 11-day stay at RIU Marco Polo, our first stay at a RIU Hotel, for four other members in our party their 6th RIU hotel. We normally take self-organised fly-drive holidays.

Hotel staff is friendly and work very hard. Especially the staff in the restaurant.

Although we had three seperate bookings (our family, inlaws (2 parents and sibling+boyfriend), we were housed in adjacent rooms (same last names), which was very convenient. We had a family room as our family consists of two adults, a toddler and a baby. The room was clean, sizeable and very convenient with two seperate bathrooms (toilet+shower and toilet+bath). The room was kept spotless daily. The minibar contained one bottle of water on arrival and each day additional bottles can be ordered at reception till 4pm. Some noise can be heard from other rooms and the corridor, but the rooms are pretty well isolated.
Beds were firm (a little too firm, resulting in lower back pain) and large.

The restaurant works with two seatings for dinner, the first from 18:00-19:30 and the second from 20:00-21:30. I did not find this very practicle, as this ment you had to leave the beach/pool early enough to shower etc to be ready in time for dinner and if our baby took a nap just before dinner, we had to rush to finish before our seating ended (food was taken away from buffet and lights above the buffet were turned off).
The last few days it was very busy at breakfast and lunch and half of the tables were not set so you had to search for a spot and choice was limited as everything ran out pretty fast and was not always replaced.
Food was good and varied enough. Especially the deserts were good. Unfortunately, four out of six adults and our toddler ended up with a stomach flu at the end of our holiday.

Bar staff was friendly and more eager to help tourists who speak French or Arabic (which I think is the polite thing to do). Apart from water, the only thing I ever ordered were virgin Piña Coladas... they never tasted the same! Most of the times far to sweet and once very watery.

Entertainment was good, and I honestly really don't care for it. Most of the entertainment team are very friendly and engaged. In kids area, two of the playsets were broken and not removed or mended! My husband wanted to help our 2,5-year old up the stairs of a playhouse when the stairs fell right off! Also, the floor in the playhouse (1,2 m up) was saggy and could not support weight. A slide was also broken and unsafe. It lay on its side, and could not be used, but was not removed (before we came and when we left). Mini disco at 20:00 was fun!

Yasmine Hammamet is a very uninspiring place, with big hotels (some closed down and dilapidated). As we were there out of season, it was very quiet in the streets. Watch out for the 'mystery guests', men in the street saying they work in your hotel as a cook or bartender, when in fact they just want to lure you to their family shop to make you buy stuff. Tip: turn your wristband inside out so they can't see the color and name of your hotel and ask them 'which hotel is that?'.

Of the two theme restaurants, one was already closed (too early, should have been open until Oct 31st).
After a few days of colder/windier weather, all the beds were removed from the beach without warning, which was pretty annoying.
Therefore, we stayed at the pool the last days of our stay, but we were driven mad by all the flies, swatting down on the beds, attracted by all the leftover drinks tipped in the flowerbeds, So: don't empty your drinks in the flower beds!!!

In the lobby and on the beach, touts are trying to sell you trips/jewellery/fruit/camel rides, which can be quite annoying.

On one of the last days of our visit, a British guest fell through the grates of the drains around the pool which lead to a bleeding wound in her leg. Staff attended her, but made themselves scarce once her husband appeared and he had to help her to their room by himself! I later overheard her saying that she was not al all pleased with the treatment by the hotel.

For First Choice travellers, if you find a note under your door from 'your rep Mark', know that he didn't put the note there, but a staff member walks down all the corridors doing it for him ;) We had a good laugh when we witnessed it.

Be sure to get out off your hotel at least once (and out off Yasmine Hammamet, a trip to the newly build Medina does not count). A taxi to Hammamet with authentic medina and Kasbah will only cost you 7 DT one way, cheaper than the tourist train.
Our experience with car rental: it's cheaper to rent through the reception (80 DT/day) than through the (Arke/Holland International) rep (255 DT/3 days), allthough they claim the opposite. For experienced drivers only!

All in all, we had a nice stay, but not a hotel we would go back to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Radio_Caroline_NL
North West England
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Returned a couple of weeks ago from a week here and we had a fabulous time. We were welcomed by the reception staff who were extremely friendly and funny. They gave us so much information and made us feel welcome straight away. I knew in 10 mins we were going to have a ball. It's about 35/40 mins from the airport and we were dropped off first so not a bad transfer at all.

Room- great. Large and well equipped, lovely and clean. There was a huge bed, fridge and TV? There is a hairdryer in the bathroom. The only negative point here would be the bath/shower. It is surrounded by a tile/marble wall which if you're short or have limited mobility would be very difficult. We had a fab view of the beach and sea too.

Food - great. So much choice and availability. Yes every all inclusive can get a bit repetitive but it was good quality and a heck of a lot choice.

Water - this is actually really easy. You have a bottle in your fridge as soon as you arrive. Then after that you have to order more water from reception before 4pm each day, we ordered it quite early so was actually in our room the same day, but they do say it will be the next day. Having said that I would top up the bottle in the snack bar if I needed to. No problem.

Bars - Seemed to be plenty of choice but we only really drink beer or vodka from the bar and both were lovely. some scary vodka measures on some nights though! Lotfi who is in the main bar works so hard he's a star. The guys at the pool bar were great fun. They all remembered your name and your drink which was often ready for you as soon as you arrived! A very small tip can go such a long way. But all the bar staff were amazing

Entertainments team - WOW! These guys are amazing, they made our holiday! They're fun, attentive and friendly. I did not want to leave because of these guys. They make friends with you, know your name and make a fuss of you. No they're not professional but their shows were way more entertaining than the professional ones - just don't take it too seriously, it's laid back silly humour. They work so hard at their musical shows too, some of them are really good dancers. They do work really hard to keep us entertained all day and night. Brilliant. For those of you there at the same time thanks for supporting my hubbie Steve from England in the Mr Marco polo games, what a laugh!

Weather - I think October can be a little unpredictable, we had 1 or 2 day overcast and one heck of a storm, which cleared it up for the rest of the week. nice and clear and hot for the rest of the week.

Location - great. Everything you could need was in walking distance, but the local area was looking a bit tired and in need of some TLC. It was deserted. Whether it's any better in high season I couldn't say.
Beach - is ok. Plenty of room and sunbeds. Got a bit windy towards the end of the week so the sea was rough and you felt a bit sandblasted.

Pool- huge. One thing I will say it was the last 2 weeks of the season when we were there so we had plenty of space around the pool and at the bars I could imagine it being pretty jammed in peak season.

We had a ball and I would definitely go back for a week of chilling round the pool and good giggles, I'm not sure I would go mid season though it was definitely good being a little quieter later in the season.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends