“Dont believe everything you read....”

Sol Azur Beach Hotel
Ranked #70 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Castleford, England, United Kingdom
“Dont believe everything you read....”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

we arrived at Sol Azur hotel 1st July - 8 July and what a fantastic time we had. Our room was clean and tidy, we had a fantastic sea view from the 3rd floor, many people said the bungalows were better but we never went in them so cant comment. The food wasnt to my taste but there was plenty of it and plenty of variety. There was a different flavour ice-cream every meal and plenty of rabbit, beef, bread and rice so i didnt starve. We had a sea view table in the Restaurant every meal time yet didnt tip our waiter until the end and them it was only 10 Dinar (about £4). We always had water and a beer waiting on the table for us and our waiter was friendly and really looked after us.
The pool guys were fantastic, saved us a sun lounger every day even though we didnt tip them until the end of our holiday. Even the last day when we went to the beach for the morning we still had a sun lounger saved for when we got back to the pool.
The animation guys were chatty, friendly and fun. They always had time to talk to you and tried to involve you in various activities. If you didnt want to join in thou they didnt pressurise you. There was many things to do but got boring as it was the same things everyday. French Bowles, Water gym, Gymnastics, Beach volley, darts, Latin and Salsa lessons, Arabic lessons to name but a few.
The bar staff were friendly too and if you wanted them to they would serve you at your table without expecting tips. The whole place was clean and tidy.
There was a lot of Tunisians there when we were there but then it was Tunisian school holidays, The Tunisians didnt get any preferantial treatment over us, if anything they were made to queue up and wait behind us.
Overall we loved this Hotel and are looking to go back again next year. Well worth the money. To say this is the first year this hotel as gone all inclusive they are doing really well but are still learning. They just need a chance to prove it to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1341 which had the best seaview, we could sea the pool from our room also.
5 Thank Jo S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on 27th june for 7 nights.
At check in at the hotel the reception staff was not very wlecoming, we was given a key, told our room number ans that was that. No explanation of what time or where the lunch or dinner was, was not told where our room was and we had to take our own bags. So off we went in search of our room.
The following day we went to breakfast which was disapointing to say the least. I had omelete everyday which was not cooked properly and i now have salmanela that i am still getting over! The drink machine was empty so had to go to the pool bar to get a drink.
The snack bar that was meant to be open from 12-6 was only open 4-6 and only served pizza and crepes which run out. You was only allowed two slices or two crepes then you could cue for more. Now considering this was all inclusive and it took over an hour in 36 degre heat to cue for the first 2 slices i doubt you would cue again. Also if somebody behind you spoke arabic or french they would get served before you.
The staff at reception, dinner, lunch, and the bar staff in particular are extremley rude and will only give a good service if you tip them all the time. They make you feel very awkward and not welcome.
On a sat and sun the locals are allowed to come into the hotel and get priority over the guests!!!! The entertainment is on a small stage near the pool and one night consisted of 3 pool staff doing the cha cha slide! When we had had enough we went back to our room to sleep but the loud music continued untill after midnight and it was impossible to sleep.
The room was never cleaned properly and the bed was not changed once in our entire stay. I had to clean the floor myself as it was dirty when we arrived. The room itself was very dated and there was no flush on the toilet. Also the towels were taken in the early afternoon and you did not get them back untill they had been washed about 4-5pm. Given that, the cleaner was the only friendly member of staff in the building barring the animation team.
In the evening at the pool bar you can get cocktails from 6pm-7pm which sounds lovely. The first time we asked we was simply told no not today. The second time we was told it is to busy!

At the end of our holiday we was being picked up at 6:35pm but had to leave the hotel room at 12pm.We had already been told by a couple that they had paid 60 dinar to hold the room open for a few hours but when we asked at reception we was told it was 90 dinar. We left it and then spoke to somebody else at reception and told him we had been told it was 60. He accepted this which only leads me to beleive that the other member of staff was going to pocket the extra 30 dinar.

We was told that this is the 1st year that the hotel is all inclusive and this is why the staff are rude as they are not getting as many tips. All in all tunisia is a lovely place to visit and we would return but this hotel ruined our holiday. I have never given a bad review before and have been many places, but the service we recieved here was TERRIBLE and Thomas cook should remove it from their selection as we are not the only people to complain. But im sure if you would like to spend all your holiday money tipping the staff so they crack a smile then you will enjoy the sol azur beach.

Room Tip: We spoke to one couple who told us on arrival they tipped £20 to the reception and was upgraded to a...
5 Thank anna h

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I went there with my wife and 2 kids aged 19 and 17 from 27June thru to 4 july 2012. I'm very suprised to read some of the previous recent comments. Before I start, we have to remember that we don't rule the World anymore and we're in someone elses Country with their own rules, customs and habits. Tipping and haggling might not be to our taste but that's tough, that's what they do. The food is another thing - if you want burger and chips every day to a standard you're used to, stay at home. Again, go abroad, you should expect to eat what they eat within reason. The hotel - is, like others have said, in need of some updating and painting etc, it's not the Ritz but you're not paying Ritz prices. Yes, it needs tarting up, no it did not spoil my holiday.
Staff, couldn't have been more friendly if they tried. Not once did I have any issues with rude, ignorant or unhelpful staff. This wasn't due to tipping everyone either, I was selective in who I gave money too.
Food - all inclusive, yeah it was basic, it got a bit "same old, same old" after a while BUT for every mealtime we all ate. Personally, I tried something Tunisian every meal, didn't like a lot of it, but I did try it and then moved on to something else. Again, you're not paying top dollar to stay here, so don't expect top dollar grub. I have stayed A.I. in several different hotels in different countries, this was no better and no worse than them. If you want food excellence on an all inclusive basis, book a P & O Cruise and pay about 4 times per person more. As for ladymuk42's pizza comments, not sure about that either - the pool and beach bars both did pizza, pannini's, crepes etc as an extra in the afternoons. Sometimes we queued, sometimes we didn't - but we always got a full, freshly made pizza each. Our waiter was excellent I have to say, we had a table with a view over the Med every mealtime, he greeted us with a smile every time we walked in and had our table ready with our drinks etc. He was a nice bloke all round. Ok, he was one of the people I tipped but 2 - 5 dinars is hardly breaking the bank - 5 DT = £2.50 and for a family of 4 that ain't bad.
Cleaner - spot on, room cleaned every day, fresh towels every day, beds made every day, occasionally flowers left on the bed etc - didn't see any creatures inside either of our rooms the whole stay.
Pool and beach, both great. Clean and tidy. Again selective tipping ensured that we had the same spot by the pool every day, laid out by a very helpful pool attendant. Both very helpful hard working guys,.
Entertainment - not great but the staff were very friendly and enthusiastic about what they were doing. To be honest I wouldn't have been that interested in it wherever I was, but they did work hard.
Trips, some good ones on offer by reps in the pool and beach areas. Not too pushy. Heard the camel ride and pirate trips were good, we did the quad bikes and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
Tunisians at the weekend - packed with them, but hey they paid to be there so live with it. Would people be complaining if it was packed with Brits - no probably not. Some of them were a pain in the ***** - but so were some of the Brits. Get over yourselves.

I could probably write for a good bit longer, but I'm gonna call it a day. With a round up -

You get a good break at this hotel, don't expect the highest standards in decor and food but bear in mind what you're paying. Embrace their customs instead of trying to create Little England around you and be selective with you tipping - keep your cleaner, waiter and pool man sweet - you won't go too far wrong.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow if you can
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank chris s
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

On arrival check in was smooth, we was put in a twin room, it was very dated, during my whole stay i did not see a cleaner, room was not cleaned i done my own cleaning. bed not changed.
The food was ok if you like pizza pizza and more pizza. you get a whole 2 slices to yourself after you queue up for an hour. yummy!
dont ever wanna see a pizza again!
Hotel staff are rude and want tipping to even smile,
they totally rip off the English and over charge for everything.
Also it gets better on the weekend they left all the locals in who take priority over normal paying guest
Awful Awful Awful if booked please change the hotel its the pits
do not ask for a cocktail you get told they are to busy! if you ask fro a coke they slam it on the table total pigs.

Room Tip: Book another hotel Do not book this one its the worst ever,
3 Thank ladymuk42
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just arrived home after a 11 night break. It is most definitely not a 4star hotel.On our arrival we were given a Bungalow which was very good, however it had a major leak from the air conditioning so we had to be moved to a room NOT SO GOOD. The room had not been cleaned properly, the mirrors were dirty the taps had lime scale all over them, we asked for a maid to come and clean the room and to be fair she arrived within a reasonable time, to do a quick clean. The balcony had pigeons nesting in the wall light so you can Imagine the mess from that.The food was very good, plenty of it,cooked and presented well, but please bear in mind that it is cooked the Tunisian way, If you tip the waiter on the evening sitting he will keep your table and the wine will be in the wine bucket ready for when you arrive. The same cannot be said for the breakfast and midday sittings, these you will be lucky to find a table or plates etc. to go on it, they don't seem to know how to clear or set a table ready for the guests. Some of the bar staff can be very rude and make you feel as though you are an inconvenience.The Animation team are brilliant, they work very hard and really are a nice bunch of lads, they are not at all pushy if you so no they leave you alone.Around the pool area is fine again if you tip the lads around there they will keep your sunbed and parasol for you each day, they work really hard and will get you a bed no matter what.On our last three days there the Locals arrived for what we were told was Tunisian Weekend and they Arrived in their droves and were very obnoxious and the staff seemed to forget that we existed. as they got priority over everyone else . Trips to go on are the Pirate Ship, which is brill 70Dinar for two with all food etc. included, The Camel Ride again lots of fun 30 Dinar each, But shop around and don't get it through the rep. A really good Local restaurant to go for a treat is the Cap Azur just across the road.However some restaurants do not sell Alcohol. Taxi fare is to Hammamet 3 Dinar each way, to go to Yasmin Hammamet it is about 8 or 9 Dinar each way, On that point the driving is a real eye opener and you will need to close your eyes and prey a lot. To Close although it was below our expectations it has not put us off going back to Tunisia although not to that hotel, which is a shame, because with more organization it could be a really nice hotel, as it is, it is in desperate need of a refit .

Room Tip: Given the choice have a bungalow
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank janno56
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My other half and I went out on the 20th of June till the 1st of July 2012, we had a fantastic time, but we were a little bit disappointed with the hotel service and hygiene. We did find quite a few cockroaches in the outside toilets, but I suppose that's expected, a part from the awful smell that came from them and surrounded the pool. Service was slow and they were extremely understaffed, we did feel sorry for them. The animation team were absolutely FANTASTIC! They made us feel extremely welcome and entertained us thoroughly. Mario and Mido were by far the most welcoming, getting us involved in all sorts of activities. If you are staying in the hotel you are much better off asking for a bungalow rather than the rooms in the hotel. The bungalows are spacious and comfortable and very homely, whilst the rooms are cramped and not very clean. My partner and I was overall very happy with the holiday and the experience we had. The hotel rep (Thomas Cook) was brilliant and explained everything you needed to know about the hotel and whatever else you wanted to know. Tipping is expected within the hotel, such as the maids. It will cost you between 1-3 dinar a week and they will leave nice little surprises on the bed, such as flowers. Bar men and waiters cost roughly the same if their service is good. I recommend the hotel, but as I said there were a couple of downfalls. It's a lovely little hotel and just needs a bit of tlc.

Room Tip: Bungalows are by far the best rooms, they are only a path away to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terri C
newcastle
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My boyfriend and me went 3rd June till 13th June and 100% will not be returning. We got it as a late deal paid £939 in total, as well like the looked of the hotel as it was described 4* all inclusive.

We arrived at the hotel about 9am.  We got our wristband and were told breakfast was DOWN THERE where a woman pointed across the lobby. Then we got took to our room where it began.  The room wasn’t clean the middle door was hanging off and only staying up by one hinge. The bath wasn’t clean (I had to rub it over myself before we took a shower) the whole place was covered in flower petals which would be nice, but not when they have been there for about 3 weeks, which these looked like they had. The floor was that dirty our feet were covered in filth.  The fridge was rotten and when we opened it was, it flooded the floor.  We decided to leave it until the morning until we could see our rep.  We are please as she sorted the problem straight away and we were put in a bungalow, which was lovely.  Why put us in a room like that when they have nice rooms free.

The maids were rude they would knock once on the door and then just come in.  They couldn’t understand anything; they take your towels and come back later on that day to return them instead of just changing to clean ones.
The hotel staff are not helpful one bit and the man behind the lobby bar has a really bad attitude, because he is CHIEF of the bar as he kept telling us when we had a problem with him. (Which happened a few times)

The pool was clean and the pool attendant was brilliant he kept beds all week and anything you need he’s there to help.  He’s very hard working.  The animation team were very good. My boyfriend spend most of his day with them playing beach volley or ping pong (which was fab for me to read my book).  They would ask if you wanted to join in with anything that was happening and if you said no that was fine they didn’t pester you. All in all they were fab they made our holiday enjoyable, we had a good laugh with them. If you want any trip go with these guys and it will be sorted and cheaper then going with the rep.

The food isn’t great but you wont go hungry. We didn’t expect to be served things like beef tongue, rabbit, quail or even BRAIN.  The way it seems to work is a good meal then a rubbish meal at an evening.  They had chicken, which were chicken legs, never any chicken breast.  If you like chips, pizza and Panini you’re sorted for dinnertime.  There’s a man who makes fresh pizza (which were lovely) there was a few people we spoke to about the food and all said it wasn’t too good. While eating dinner there were cat’s about and would sit and look at you. I wouldn’t blame the hotel for this but I didn’t like it one bit as they were wild cats.  The waiters didn’t seem bothered about them one bit, so it was up to us to move them away.

The picture’s we seen before going to this hotel made it look nice but must have been when it was 1st opened. The hotel stated a beach bar was there but they didn’t open till our last day. The ‘Memphis’ bar was meant to be open 5pm till 1am, it would open about 7pm, and the animation team would start the kids disco then the evening show.  They weren’t up to much but when the animation team would have their night it was fab, a great laugh.  Then everyone would get kicked into the lobby bar about 11.40 to finish your drinks then come 12.15 the waiters put your drink in to plastic cups and the lights go out.  Even though ‘Memphis’ bar is meant to be open until 1am.

Good luck if your planning to go

• Stayed June 2012