“A very relaxing break in a beautiful setting”

The Orangers Beach Resort & Bungalows
Ranked #8 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
“A very relaxing break in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here, the beach is really nice, safe with some little fish and nothing unpleasant underfoot, the food is fine and the service can't be faulted. We had a pleasant enough room with a sea view as promised, the only downside was the aircon was not working very well and eventually we just kept the balcony door open all night much to the mozzies' delight. the balcony seats were amongst the most uncofmortable we've ever sat on but as we didn't spend a lot of time there it didn't really matter.
The indoor pool was very nice - we enjoyed an early morning swim every day with the pool virtually to ourselves. The kids really enjoyde seeing and feeding all the cats and kittens in the beautiful landscaped grounds.
If you don't fancy the trips laid on by your travel agent, do what we did and get a minibus (there were 6 of us) and a driver/guide to take you out for the day - it only cost us about £120 which was a bargain for a 10 hour day. The views from the tip of Cap Bon and the sight of flamingoes on the salt marshes just north of Hammamet were unforgettable. We also enjoyed seeing the amazing hot springs at Korbous.
I would definitely go back but might book a bungalow next time.

Room Tip: I'd imagine rooms on the ground floor get a lot of foot traffic past them at night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mindyournose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at las orangers in October and at the begginning i was ready to pack up and leave and really had to stay open minded. we didnt get the beach view we requested, our double bed was two twins pushed together with a sheet thrown over and our balcony view looked over grass covered in bits of wood. However, this was the worst of it and I can honestly say that despite those faults, every day was fantastic.

in terms of service, the staff could not be faulted. the waiters literally waited on me hand and foot. we became very talkative with a number of the staff, two young lads went out of their way every day to come and talk to us, get drinks even when not asked as they soon remebered what we drank. Even when I developed a stomach bug they went out of their way to look after me.

The food wasnt as up to scratch as those serving it. Because i am quite careful with what i eat atbhome i found it difficult to choose from the buffet as the majority of foods were very fatty and heavy and often left me feeling over full and quite sick even when i thought i was going for the better options. the al a carte restaurant that we booked into though was AMAZING! food wasbeautifully cooked and presented and showed a completely different standard. would have happily eaten that every day.

The one thing that makes the resort though is the entertainment team. not one day did we feel left out or ever sat down n didnt do something! Medo and the crew are literally fantastic! from comedy to riverdance to michael jackson...to somehow getting me.to stand on a man whilst he lay on broken glass...not one night were we not involved in something. we wvwn bought the music cd which they play and now know all the group dances off by heart! my partner left being the archery champion of the week despitebhim.never playing before in his life. i left with some fond memories and very embarrasing photos but did actually shed a tear when saying my goodbyes to medo, steve and titi.

although the area can have its downsides and i really did struggle to adapt to the culture,especially being a young woman i am not used to getting grabbed and hassled as much as we were by the locals...the views are amazing. we got some great deals on presents and despite the constant hassle from the male shop sellers the old medina in old hammamet was fantastic. if you can make it to the middle to a womans shop she does some amazing deals with no hassle and is genuine with you at every point. looking out over the sea from the medina walls was fantastic and something i will never forget!

the only realy down side for me was the stomach bug i gained on the second day which meant i struggled to eat anything. an inspiring holiday...despite some of the faults i would go back.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank simmilou
warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Returned 2days ago from the les orangers travelled with my mum and step dad, my husband and 3 children. Can honestly say that we had a fantastic time. The staff were fab, never been to an all inclusive before where we have been properly waited on but the waiters offer more drinks as soon as your glasses are empty. It made no difference whether we tipped or not, I personally tipped on the last couple of days and they were very grateful for anything they received. There is always somewhere to get food and drink from no matter what time of the day. They had a good selection of drinks Including proper cocktails. Main restaurant for breakfast and evening meal, pool snack bar in the afternoon which did burgers, pizzas, paninis, kebabs and doughnuts which the kids loved. The beach snack bar in the day does the same as well as ice cream, the drinks at the beach tent were poor but you could always come up to the pool and get a drink if you wanted. We personally spent most time by the pool anyway. The food was good, there was always plenty to choose from even with my youngest child being 20 months. Wifi was available in the reception, didn't need it anyway have no idea why ppl complain about wifi who goes on holiday and spends all the time on Internet anyway! the rooms were basic but very clean, the maids work really hard and are very grateful for tips on last day. there was cats in the hotel grounds which the kids loved and were very friendly, they never venture into food areas and very rarely came up to the pool and wandered round the sun beds which was nice. My husband celebrated his 30th birthday while we were away and a waiter decorated the table lovely for when we went to breakfast! He did jet skiing on the beach and went quad biking but they also do paragliding, camel rides, horse riding and we did some archery which was good fun. The animation team were great, good with the kids and work really hard to make your holiday special. You got plenty of beach towels and could change them as many times as you wanted for fresh ones. The beach is very clean, the beach sellers are a pain but just say no and walk away they don't harass you. Was shocked to find one beach seller had 2 baby turtles in his pocket that he tried to sell me though. Free self service laundry was great and washing powder etc was provided but only needed to use it once. Yasmin the rep was very good at her job. Didn't need to spend much money as everything was provided. We went for a meal at the Bella Marina around the corner which was fantastic!! Very cheap too with 2 starters, 2main courses, 2puddings and 3 drinks each as well as water coming to 38 pounds and both food and service was exceptional! Bad points were the drinks at the beach, depth of the main pool ( but they did have a small kids pool) there were lots of flies which the hotel can't do a great deal about in all fairness! And some of the balcony furniture could do with replacing. We have travelled to a lot of places but we all thought it was great value for money, great holiday and would definitely return again. A holiday is what you make it, if you go to have a good time and notice the good things you will!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank emsy_wemsy011
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at Les Orangers Beach, 28 Oct to 4 Nov 2012. Overall an excellent stay, with good accommodation (overlooking the sea), a good room, nice food (better still if you book the silver service restaurant - no extra charge), and very helpful and friendly staff. The nightly entertainment was also of a pretty high standard. The weather was mixed - one day overcast, and one rainy - but otherwise good. The beach is clean, and no-one hassles you, although you can do a camel ride, and buy trinkets from the occasional passing salesman. We had a nice autumn break - highly recommended. It's worth a taxi trip into Hammamet, to see the medina - make sure the taxi meter is turned on, but it's very cheap. Overall a very good hotel, hard to fault it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Osborne51
Newcastle-upon-tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My partner and I visited Les Oranges during the school break,our last visit was at Xmas.We have stayed in various parts of the hotel and all have been excellent.We love the ambience of the place.The service is always first class. We are able to travel where we want when we want so are
no novices when it comes to foreign travel.The animation team deserve a medal they do so much with very little,one member of the team "Mido", learnt to Irish dance off a video to do a River Dance sketch.The ability to speak an average of 7 languages would seem the norm The restaurant service couldn't be faulted and the food was always good I,m vegertarian and it was heaven for me.We always tip each day with extra on the last day.We always recommend this hotel to friends and will probably visit again in May.

Room Tip: all the rooms we have had have been good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank alan584
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Good weather in Oct/Nov 2012 (21-27 degrees). Very nice clean room - I stayed in a superior room with a balcony overlooking the garden and sea. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was immaculate, very modern looking, but with nice traditional Tunisian touches. The gardens were lovely - it was very lush, with a lot of flowering plants. It had free wifi in the lobby.

I was pickpocketed on the beach, walking to Old Hammamet, and the staff helped me out in every way possible - from sawing open the padlocks on my suitcase as I no longer had a key to lending me money to pass for a taxi until I got some money. Also my Thomas Cook rep was helpful in organising a trip to the police station and a translator to help me report the theft.

Food was a bit bland, but there was plenty of it, and a good range of places to eat. A 15 min massage and fish pedicure were included as part of the all-inclusive package.

From the hotel you could walk to both Jasmine Hammamet and Old Hammamet along the beach, or into central Hammamet by the road, so it was well connected and not out in the middle of nowhere like some all-inclusives.

The beach was nice, with plenty of shade as well as opportunities to get the sun. The stretch by the hotel was great, but there were also even nicer spots towards old Hammamet. The Jasmine Hammamet end of beach wasn't as nice.

Only problem I had was the couple in the next room - our rooms were designed to be adjoining, so even though the door was locked I could often hear them. Especially when they came in arguing at 4am.

Room Tip: I had a superior room in the building with the second reception nearer the beach (the building that...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Claire B
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We returned today from The Orangers today and we had a brilliant time. In our party were myself and my boyfriend, my mom and dad, my sister and niece (who's 8). On arrival at lunchtime we were shown straight to our rooms after a welcome drink in the bar. All 3 rooms were next to each other over looking a garden with hammocks. The rooms were immaculately clean, large and very airy and bright. The 2 double beds in each room were very comfortable. We went straight to the beach and were all really impressed with how clean it was. Plenty of sun loungers on offer but if you want a good spot in the sun then get down there early. The beach sellers can be really annoying but the beach security do a good job at keeping them at bay as best they can. We went on camel rides on the beach which were a couple of quid each, not the most comfortable experiance but fun. The sea was lovely and warm and people were paragliding, jet skiing etc.
The staff at the hotel work so hard and we couldn't fault them at all. They made us feel so welcome and made a real fuss of my niece which she loved, they were all great. Don't be afraid to tip them because no matter how small it is they really appreciate it and work hard for it.
The food is hit and miss and can become a bit boring but it all depends on your individual tastes. It wasn't the best quality food in the world but there is LOTS of choice. Just be aware if you have allergies to anything like nuts because the food isn't labelled explicitly. On one lunchtime my boyfriend nearly ate rice with nuts in it and he has a really bad allergy. But if you ask the guys behind the counter they will direct you on what to avoid. I read a previous review stating that there weren't any diet drinks. I'm diabetic and was very worried about this but luckily they had gallons of diet coke on offer so happy days. No fresh fruit juice though unfortunately but nevermind.
I will suggest if you get bored of the food you visit "La Bella Mariner" just around the corner from the hotel. The food and service was outstanding and it was so cheap, it was the best meal we had all week.
The animation team worked hard but were a bit annoying at times, 2 of them in particular clearly had way too much sugar in their diets making them super hyper ALL the time. The entertainment shows were ok from what I saw of them but it's not really my cup of tea. Kids club for the young ones was good, they're kept busy for a few hours and they seemed to enjoy it.
The pool scene was lovely, we're beach bums really so didn't spend much time around the pool but when we did it was nice.
The flies, oh my word the flies! Don't eat outside because they'll think its buffet time and you'll be covered in them! Eat indoors in the nice air conditioning instead.
Alcoholic drinks were great, they don't bother with measures so if you like your rum and coke strong then you're in for a treat!! Wine was ok, cheap and cheerful and the beer was nice.
We went to the "Old Town" to do a bit of shopping and lasted an hour, I bought a fridge magnet and a coffee and we jumped in a return taxi to the hotel lol! We were warned by the rep that it was going to be interesting but wow, it was traumatic! Everywhere you turned you were harrassed by street con artists and shop owners who just want to rip you off. The rep said to say no thank you and walk away but they don't listen they're virtually dragging you in the shops and try and sell you a crap leather belt for 50 quid! If you can hack it then fair play to you but it was a horrible experiance for me personally and would recommend you avoid the place at all costs.
Don't forget to book your free 15 minute back massage or fish pedicure which we were only made aware of by a couple that have been going to the hotel for years. If you get the older woman to do your massage don't expect any hello or conversation its a just get on the bed shut up and let me do my job kind of attitude! Very miserable woman but good at her job.
Our air con was dripping water, we reported it and it was fixed by the time we got in from the beach. The fridge in my sisters room was leaking, it was reported and fixed that day. The canvas balcony seats were awful. We asked them to be changed and they did it straight away.
We had a great time, it is what you make it and we would go back (if they sorted the food out).

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach not by the pool. The evening shows are on til after 11 at night so if...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family