“Amazing!”

Ranked #8 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
scotland
“Amazing!”
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I went to this hotel with family and thought it was superb. The rooms are clean, the staff are more than welcoming and the food is great. The hotel grounds are huge and consist if a beach, pools, a shop, a night club, table tennis courts, archery, play parks ... eveything really! the pool was quite deep but there are 3 pools, one deep one outdoors, a childrens pool outside and an inside one which goes from really shallow to really deep. There really is something for everyone. The animation team are excellent and run many activities throughout the day from arabic lessons, archery, belly dancing lessons and many more. I can't fault the staff at all. Don't be scared to talk to the staff ... they are more than willing to talk to you. however, they do appreciate the odd dinar or two every now and again but they really do work for their money. I am actually hoping to return to this hotel sometime soon, i really would advise it to anyone.

• Liked — The staff, the beach, the paragliding facility at the beach
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank scottishteen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
slough
Reviewed October 19, 2007

the second year my familly and I have been to this hotel. My family consisted of me my husband and my daughter and son. MY daughter is 27 and my son is 16. having read some of the recent reviews i felt i had to put my oar in. the hotel rooms are clean and comfortable the food is okay, but local restaurants are extremely cheap. the staff cannot be faulted. if you treat them with respect they cannot do enough for you. Unfortunately the worst visitors were the the english and the russians for rudeness. the tunisian people were really polite and helpful as long as you appreciate you are visiting another culture. I have always tipped the staff that have treated us well at the end of our stay so it was not because they were after money. My daughter is a stunning blonde so maybe we got preferential treatment,but i do not think so. we have made many friends with the animation team and other staff, so much so that some of them will be visiting us on their holidays. food okay. beach absolute bliss. rooms wonderful. pool lovely and we will all be going back next year.

• Liked — staff,beach pool
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank chelseaslough
by the sea in the south uk
Reviewed September 22, 2007

why on earth are previous reviews complaining ??? This IS Tunisia.....excuse me...........as previous ..........WHAT motorway in the world is exciting to look at .......good grief.......you pays your money and you gets your choice..we had no problems whatsoever the hotel was clean,welcoming,and the staff are good....the animation team are wonderful........and work very hard........OK so the food gets boring..............go and eat out...........we did in the 2nd week of our stay.....met some lovely people from the UK and had a ball.....a holiday is what you make it...I sometimes think peoples expectations are too high...so do your research before you go........no complaints whatsoever..............Les Orangers we will be back...........

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank meandhim
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2007

This was our first all inclusive holiday and generally it was pretty nice.

Reception and check in was a bit disappointing. We were left sitting in reception after getting our wrist bands and card key for 10minutes. I had to go back to the desk where the bellhop was just chatting away to the receptionist. It was a poor start (especially after the useless flight attendants and aweful meal courtesy of Air Italy).

The room was very good. We were in a refubished part of the hotel that was brightly lit and very clean. We had specifically requested a quiet area of the hotel with a double bed and the hotel obliged. We looked over the tennis courts which were very peaceful. Bathroom was good, maid service everyday and sometimes she left petals on the bed. A nice touch. Beware of descriptions saying you get "Satellite TV" - English channels are BBC World and CNN only. We didn't really have much time for TV but you might if you go in the winter! We were also in an inter-connecting room with numerous people coming and going next door. You could hear everything from their bathroom through the door!!! Since we're nosy and not particularly shy we didn't mind this to much.

Pool area is very good. Never squeezed for space. The pool iteself was always clean and there are plenty of parasols if you need some shade. A tip - if you wait for the pool boy to bring you a sunbed matress you could be waiting a long time. Better to get it yourself - they are kept behind the pool side snack bar behind a door marked "Private - Staff Only". Just go a get one anyway!

The hotel beach is fabulous. It's really well designed to provide shade and sun and is no doubt the nicest hotel beach along the strip. We walked through at least another 30 hotel beaches and Hotel Les Oragangers was the best.

A major moan - the food. If you're a vegetarian then forget this hotel otherwise you'll be eating salad and soggy vegetables for your stay. Cous-cous is the official dish of Tunisia. I saw it twice as a main meal in 2 weeks. The cuts of meat were poor and they normally had 3 types of fish all with heads on! If you like your fish that way then you'll be ok but I hated it. It is also laid out badly - the toaster is actually someway down the main restaurant so don't miss it. However the soup was always fantastic with fresh bread and the donuts in the morning were great.

The state of the dining room in the morning was filthy at times. Table clothes were all dirty by the time we came down, normally around 9ish. We had an excellent waiter in the evening though who remembered our drinks and was a good laugh. It definately helps to tip early on in the dining room. Your waiter will then see you come in and set up a table for you. Another tip - if you don't have kids then it's best to hit the dining room after 8pm. Much quieter.

Other staff - Animation team were really good. They encouraged you to get involved but were not over the top. We frequently did Archery and played Darts. The bar staff were also quick to serve and really appreciate the odd 1 Dinar tip here and there. Beureau de Change guy was always quick. Tunisia has a closed currency so it doesn't matter where you get your money changed as you'll get exactly the same exchange rate wherever you go.

The evening entertainment at the hotel looks after the kids well. Some of it was a bit cheesy, including the bingo. I won a toy camel for 5 numbers!

All in all, a mixed bag. Positives: Pool, Animation Team, Beach and the weather was fab. Negatives: Food, Dining Room

• Liked — Sun, Sea and Sand
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank david-jane27
Istanbul
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I booked my stay via internet but when I arrived to the hotel, there was no reservation for me. Hotel system couldn't have confirmed my booking. So the amount that I had to pay in internet bookings, had gone. Hotel didn't take the responsibility. The employee had very unresponsible behaviours. And all they think is money, the customer and the service aren't their priority. So as a conclusion I had to stay for 3 days, but I hated the hotel during my stay. I don't advise this hotel to anybody never. And never use hotel service in your transportation from airport to hotel. I couln't understnad the people's behaviours in Tunus. Don't go to TUNUS.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank simlaIstanbul
West Yorkshire
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Myself and my husband have just spent a week in the worst hotel ever.
Where to start........
in the brochures it says that it is a 1hour 40 mins coach trip from the airport to the hotel. more like 2 hours on the most boring motorway in the world. with nothing to look at but trees on one side and run down shacks on the other. when u eventually arrive , the hotel is at the end of a dead end street which is too narrow for the coach to get down if there are cars parked, be prepared to cart your own luggage the rest of the way to the hotel.

At meal times the food consisted of whole fish , beef and chicken with an assortment of vegetables (only 2 ) which was nearly all as cold and uncooked as the salads. the dinner menu seemed to be remnants of the previous evening meals but in a slightly different guise, and whatever was had at dinner was also laid out at tea time. All the meats on offer were very fatty and bland. The vegetables all looked like they were on the verge of rotting. Salads all came pre-supplied with garnish.

probably no suprise that both of us spent 1 day each laid up in bed or dashing to the toilet!!!!!!!!

Our room was on the ground floor at the rear of the canteen (room number 120)and we weren't the only inhabitants of it !!! upon arrival we found a steady stream of ants coming from under the interlocking door and into our bathroom. we immediately complained and to their credit the hotel came and killed them within 10mins, this happened no less than 3 times though.
Apart from the ants though, the room was cleaned regularily and was in a good condition :-)
The Pool Area is nice and clean, but spoiled by children running and jumping into it all the time.
the best part of this hotel in my opinion is the beach. Which is lovely and soft underfoot, with ample supply of sunbeds , The Sea Is warm and not very deep , be careful of using lilo's etc if the wind is blowing out to sea from the land, as this caused many a lilo and rubber ring to blow off into the distance.

Children just seem to run amok in this hotel, running and screaming down corridors etc......at all times of night or day.

The majority of the staff are all ignorant and not willing to do anything to help, except for Ben who works behind the Bar next to reception

We were so dissapointed as we had read all the reviews and most of them were good except for a couple, but now we cannot understand how so many people could like it so much unless they had lots of children, or were not bothered what the food was like. I am just glad we only stayed there for 1week.
The hotel mainly caters for germans, russians and french, and god how rude are they. Always pushing in, they dont think they should queue for anything. And thats just the kids, the parents are worse.

I played a game of bingo one night and was lucky enough to win a camel, which I never got because I shared with someone. And as my husband got up on the stage and the leggy blonde who was the other prize winner the sleazeball obviously gave it to the blonde promising ours later which we never got.
Ok, its only a stuffed toy but I had payed for my tickets like everybody else.
I suppose we have been spoilt as we only normally stay in wonderfull hotels. This is the first one we have hated.
In march we went to the Golden Resort in Sharm el shek, and could not speak highly enough of it.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — rude foreigners and their rude children
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank Blondie32G
uk
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Woman's view, followed by man's view :-)

Booked this hotel with an open mind, however it just didnt do it for us.
Firstly Hammamet is a right mess of a place, its surrounded by run down buildings and really isnt a nice place to wonder around in, however for about 5DT you can jump in the taxi to Yasmine Hammamet, which is still up and coming but has 4-5 star hotels and the Medina is much better for entertainment and food.
The hotel is ok if you want a basic all inc and dont want any kind of fuss, there is a huge lobby area that people can smoke in which mixed with the air con makes for a horrible stinking smoky smell. There are 3 bars but only 2 open in evening. These are good and the beer is ok, the Vodka will knock you out, and there is rose wine available. entertainment in the nights was varied as much as they could and the animation crew did their best, however it was boring for the likes of ourselves who really didnt want to dance to the hokey kokey until gone 9!
The pool is a nice size and even when they are playing volley ball or something you can still go down the end and enjoy it away from them. the outdoor area is clean and neat with gardens and little flower areas, and the beach area is pleasant and usually quite quiet.
However now here come the bad bits,you will always have to tip, now i dont mind giving to people that deserve it but being expected to tip drives me mad. In order to get any kind of good service you will have to cough up im afraid, which is unfair considering how much we paid for just one week.Im not saying that its all in the hotel as you are not pressured, however we left a little tip for one of the bar men and it was looked at in disgust which made us feel really awful!watch out for taxis as if they dont put the meter on you could be charged anything.
The food is awful...I will stress....the food is awful!!!! we went on the first night and didnt go back, in all honesty we spent the extra money that we took with us to dine out every night as the food looked and tasted horrible, i like trying new things as long as the kinda taste nice however this place was terrible.cold and more often than not had flies on or had been handled by so many people that you really didnt know what germs it had on it .The dining area is like a huge canteen which when you go away for a break to relax and enjoy some time with your partner, having a party of 8 on one side screaming to eachother across the table and another party of 7 the other side of you also shouting it can really bring the mood down.
We booked with Thomas cook and decided to go on a few trips one being the 'fun buggies' the only thing that was fun about it was that we were out of the hotel! we went on busy roads and despite being with a tour guide (some bloke from down the road who decided to buy some buggies and hire them out) we were just going around all the real dirty areas (there are alot in Tunisia).

so in short dont go if you want a spoiling in, anyone who says that you shouldnt expect a little spoiling in a 3 star is wrong, the service here could be better and the food....
go if you have kids...its perfect,dont do the fun buggies unless you really really fancy it and try and stay away from the food....cus i had bad stomach from just eating the salad and chips so lord knows what id be like after the fish.....

the week dragged to the end cus of the entertainment...and it was sad to see all our 'spending money' go on food that we thought we had already paid for.....

Man's view: Good points.

Beach was lovely. Clean, clear water e.t.c. But watch out for the rather large jelly fish! You can go para sailing (recommended) two of you for 50ish Tunisian Dinar (£20-25) there is also jet skiing and a range of inflatables to be hung off and pulled by a boat.

Pool was good, sometimes the euro pop tunes being blasted out could be a bit much but it only happened occasionally.

Room was nice and big, with it's own balcony. We did notice some beach front villas that looked amazing.

Some of the entertainment (in the hotel) we saw was amazing. A band called Zanzana and the snake chamer who in my opinion needs his head read.

Yasmine Hammamet. If you can afford it, stop reading this and stay in a hotel there. Very much the purpose built tourist area. I wouldn't say lots to do but more than anywhere else!

Bad points.

Food in the hotel was awful. Cold and unvaried.

Some of the staff, especially the bar staff are acceptionally rude. That coupled with other european nations having never heard of a queue system really tested me at times.

Locals are a pain in the back side. Want money for nothing and will try and sell you their own mom. Seriously.

Tunisia (outside of Yasmine) generally is filthy. Failed sewage systems e.t.c. The streets, the people, everything. Health and safety hasn't been invented yet as a result you feel reluctant to try new things, which to me defeats the point of travelling.

The excursions are nothing like described.

Summary - If you've already booked, unlucky, make the most out of it. If you're thinking of booking, don't. At least not for ten years until the locals have discovered soap.

Stayed August 2007