“Avoid”

Ranked #94 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived in resort on Monday 15th and were more than happy with the hotel having stayed there 3 years ago. All was well except the hotel seemed quiet and facilities were seemingly being closed down and packed away. The poolside snack bar was already plastic wrapped, the next day the poolside bar closed and the day after that the larger pool closed. On speaking to some other guests there rep had told them the hotel was closing on the 23rd and we had to move.
That night we located the Med Hotels rep and he confirmed that this was the case and we HAD to move to the hotel venus owned by the same hotel chain. Unlike some other guests who accepted this we checked out the offered hotel on the internet to find poor reviews on trip advisor so we opted to visit the facility and arranged to meet the rep there. At our own expense we took a taxi to the hotel venus (AKA club venus, club vime venus. Caribbean world venus as they are all the same place). The hotel was located in a poor looking area, in the neighbouring town of hammamet and had all the exterior appeal of an old prison! We were shown into a very impressive reception area and then to some very unimpressive dilapidated rooms. None matched the room type or location we had so we declined the move to the rep who then became rude and unhelpful and said WE had to ring the UK as he could help no more.
We returned to our hotel and between trying to enjoy our holiday in daily declining facilities spent our time contacting yourselves and researching local hotels. Everyone we spoke to at Travel Republic was very helpful but had no solutions as it seemed to be Med Hotels issue. We were offered a move to the Sandra Club another nearby hotel, this also had scathing reviews on the internet and had neither sea views or our room type.
Come Monday 22nd we still had no where to move the next day, our hotel was as good as closed and we had been eating dried up recycled food all weekend which by now had given us all stomach upsets. With no answer from yourselves and the Med Hotel rep blanking us when we saw him we instigated a back up plan we had made ourselves.
We moved ourselves to the Iberostar Solaria next door where 2 interconnecting rooms with a sea view gave us the same room type in the same location. interestingly at this point you could STILL book on the Travel Republic website to stay in the Yasmine beach hotel!!!!!!!! We had a great week at the Solaria but it cost us £1150 for the week which i had to pay upfront.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vickyxx4974xx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

First line hotel to the sea. Promenade divides this hotel from the beach line. The staff was very arrogant. The room was cleaned every day. One time I was given a towel with red spot on it. The hotel has its own free of charge sun beds and umbrellas on the beach. Almost all the food (except sweets :) ) had specific seasoning taste. I think all the Arabic food has such specific taste that I don't like at all. There a lot of Spa in Hammamet.

Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Galina K
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am a typical 27 year old, I save my money to enjoy holidays and seeing the world. Myself and a friend decided we wanted a value for money, sun holiday for a week of relaxation, just the two of us. I can honestly say the choice we made to book this holiday is one I really regret. It was not value for money, I would have paid to stay elsewhere, had I had any money to do so.

The Room.
On arrival (late night) we found our room to be made up, but unclean, the seal on the toilet was broken and the actual toilet seat looked as if it hadn’t been wiped over, let alone cleaned. There was maid service on a daily basis, and other than changing the towels, making the beds and mopping the floor, they appeared to do nothing else. The sheets were not changed once. We were on the fourth floor in a twin room overlooking the pool, right above the ‘stage’ for the outside entertainment (thankfully that was all over by 9.30 pm as showtime was located on the inside stage). No air conditioning on at this time of year even though the temperature was 30+ plus day.

The Hotel.
With 2 outdoor pools and one indoor pool and a waterslide, pool bars and umbrella’s/sun loungers, we thought this would be ideal for a relaxing week. The pools were not cleaned once, no man with a little jug, nothing pulled out over night in the net.

The sun loungers and tables round the pool (on level 2) were filthy and never wiped over, it rained on our last day, and I honestly think this is the closest they’d come to being wiped over. Yet the sun lounger man, stood there all day, doing not a lot.

The inside pool was shut. Permanently. We were told we were not allowed to use it. The waterslide on the ground floor (more family orientated pool) was only open at set times a day, and they were brief.

There was wifi in reception, only reception. The furniture was old and the interior could use a lick of paint to say the least. On one of the light fittings in reception which housed maybe 20 bulbs, 3 worked. It was dark all the time.

The nightclub, dead and too noisy for it to be open 12 am – 4 am every night. I am only glad our room faced out the other side, had my room been above the noise (you could hear from the street) I would have been upset.

The guests were also very Arab and north African clientele, so even trying to hide and keep out of the waiters way was hard enough, but if you decided to go in the pool, expect to be spoken to and if alone without your husband/boyfriend hit on.

The English / German / French guests seemed to stick together and every English couple we spoke to had said how disappointed they were, one couple went so far as to say they had been to Tunisia 13 times and nothing had ever compared to this hotel in how bad it was.

Other facilities that were advertised both here and in the hotel that didn’t exist or were not accessible were:
Gym – never saw this?!
Pool bar snacks
Indoor Pool
and much more, the board of what was on offer, was outside the buffet restaurant (and it was quite full) but as I usually made a mad dash away from the buffet I didn't see it all.

The Animation Team / Entertainment.
We did not have much to do with the animation staff, we literally wanted a sun break, I did not see them during the day and was not aware of any kids club, although I’m sure there was some entertainment for the kids in the day.

We only saw them in the evening, when they would start the ‘entertainment’ with about 4 songs at 8.30 pm, that they encouraged all the adults up to dance to. They would then continue and do mini disco (for the kids) at 9 pm (too late in my opinion, and why it wasn’t done before the adults ones I’m not sure).

Then at 9.30, ShowTime was shouted for 10-12 minutes per night and people were encouraged to go inside and watch the entertainment, we watched it 4 nights, just as there was nothing else to do and it was awful. The skits were silly and all they did was wail and scream in high pitched voices, then in between there would be some music that lasted longer than the actual skit itself.

This is not what you want to sit and have a drink to (or maybe that would make it better, as I don’t drink I can’t answer that).

The Private Beach.
Every other hotel along the front had a nice set up with a private beach. The Yasmine Beach Hotel’s private beach actually looked like it had been abandoned years ago, it was falling apart, the luxury sofa’s, mattresses and cabanas were awful and unclean. Once walking through the entrance you noticeably smelt egg. The bar was not fully functioning however they would give you a drink. The only thing that saved this beach, is the next door plot (something to do with the hotel), has sun loungers and umbrella’s for free use to the Yasmine Beach Hotel guests.

The Restaurant(s).
One main buffet style restaurant, served vegetarian options (salads, fried vegetables and potato) and some meat option (I honestly don’t know what half of it was). Most of the hot food was cold, the chips, the pasta, the potato and more. There was not a lot of choice and the buffet was always heaving with flies as all the doors and windows were open. I mainly lived on bread to be safe.

The drinks, although all inclusive, you could NOT have a bottle of water without paying 2 dinars. You were only allowed a set drinks list (which I know many AI hotels run, but this was limited). You could also only have a drink from 10am, unless you went to the buffet restaurant for breakfast.

The pool bars served drinks 10am – (I don’t know what time) but they were serving glass drinks at the pool on level 2, which were blown over and smashed, and yet if you drank inside the bar, they gave you plastic. Also, you wanted a plastic cup, NOT a glass one, as these were 9 times out of 10, not washed. I felt physically sick and always asked for a straw and mainly drank from a bottle (I brought in Gatwick).

My biggest disappoint about being All Inclusive was I am a fussy eater, and am not in to rice and like food that I know, so it was important to my friend and I when booking to cater for me (fussy and her (Vegetarian). It was crucial for a pool bar, chips, burgers and pizza always a safe bet with me. But the pool bars didn’t serve food, and there was no explanation. My friend and I like to go All Inclusive as there is no restrictions on when you want to eat, you can have a lie in, knowing that if you miss breakfast, you can have brunch or a snack. Not here. You had to conform to the timetable.

The Staff.
Tunisia is an Arab country, I have been to Morocco, Egypt, UAE but the staff here within the hotel were extremely rude, obnoxious, mutter under their breath and look at you in utter disgust. They are also not shy in falling in love with you, trying it on with you, and in one case as I left the buffet, grabbing my arm to stop me leaving and confessing his undying love for me, and desire to take care of me ... in England of course. They are also not bothered if you are married, or even with your husband. In the streets you get asked to go in the shops etc, although this isn’t as bad or drastic as it is in Egypt (Sharm El Sheik).

The Resort.
However, the animals, camels, horses, desert foxes, are not watered or fed and although camels can handle that, horses (tied to passenger buggies) and foxes (tied to street vendors stalls) are in direct sunlight, the horses are unable to lay down, with no water and kept out for a minimum of 15 hours. I found it extremely distressing and would recommend all tourists avoid being part of that by not paying to hold a fox or go on a horse buggy.

I did however feel relatively safe, 2 white females travelling alone, we walked out at night and to the marina and medina, we did get talked to, and one night really hassled from some young locals in a car following us, but I didn’t feel any more unsafe than I would on a night out in an English city I didn’t know.

Why we didn’t move hotel!
We complained to the rep, he didn’t care, and said no one else had complained, something all the other English people had said he’d also said to them. We had no extra money, but that didn’t stop us, visiting every other hotel on the main promenade, and they were all lovely, we went to the restaurants and checked out the pools, the only issue was they were all £50 a night, and we couldn’t afford it. So we stayed put.

All in all, I was extremely disappointed, the lack of hygiene was vile and I am so glad to be home. We paid £350.50 each for this holiday, and I would never recommend this resort particularly but NEVER this hotel to anyone. I would not take children especially babies to this hotel, god only knows what they would pick up!

Room Tip: Not above the disco/nightclub. Facing the pool on level 2 is quite nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Abi_travels

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

i have just returned from my holiday with my 3 children age 13 12 and 10 i have to say the animation team especially heiron yana and yazu saved my childrens holiday they had a ball with them there isnt much to do for the children or even adults around the resort but they made the holiday fantastic i wud well recommend this hotel if u want to laze around the hotel and let ur kids have a fantastic time well done to u 3 all i have heard is ur names since i came home !!!!!

Room Tip: we had a duplex room on the 5th floor stunning room very nice no noise at all easy access with lifts
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NIECE33
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

i returnedlast week from a week holiday with my family which we hadbeen looking forward to for months. cant believe how disapointedmyself my husband n kids were. the staff were rude and the the male staff just stared and tried to chat me up every opportunity.. the room was nothing like it said.. the fridge was disgusting and we had to ask for that! the cot for my 1 year old what can i say.. it got slung back out the room that night n he slept in bed with us.. the cot was wooden n the wooden bars on side were broke and looked like it had never hada clean.. the restaurant was disgusting and the food i wouldnt feed to a dog!!!! we paid£1500 for this holiday..the hotl is 4 star i wouldnt call it 2 star.. the animation team made this holiday for my kids they were fantastic.. hadnt they been there i think iwould of gone home!!! worst holiday ever...the whole place needs a good clean up n painting.. oh did i mention we all got bad tummys from day 2..there are birds flying all over restaurant with bird poo dropping everywhere. even on high chairs.. met a few english people there who were lovely.. the rest are german polish or russian which is quite clearly who the food is catered for.. complaint after complaint was madw while staying here... good luck to anyone staying here in the future!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Julie C
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

arrived back from tunisia previously staying at yasmine beach htoel hammamet.The hotel was nearly all germans and french,The food was all german and tunisian and they didnt give a dam about the english.Rooms were ok and the cleaners were fantastic.There is a pool on the ground floor where the staff are suppose to cook food.If you like warmed up chips half warm pizza and something they call chicken then go for it other wise i wouldnt bother.They do not serve anything else.Drinks are serve in little plastic cups and you need at least 6 to make up a pint.The pool itself is nice,it also has 3 small slides.Entertaintment in the evening is some staff that do a little dance and its the same in the day by the pool.We had a sea view and it was lovely.There is a fridge in the room.I wouldnt go back to hammet again as i didnt like that part at all.I would also like to mention the breakfast which was all german again,but the strange thing was they had huge doughnuts and pancakes no toast no english tea only herb and fruit ones.The beach which is just across the road is full of broken cups,large bugs,camel dunk and flys all over the resort.As for the shops there really isnt many and the ones that are there you get constantly harrassed all the way along.Round the back of the hotel there is a place called the Medina.There is a few things in there for the children.Also there is shops where the harrasment gets worse.Men come up-to you and pretend they know you and try to get you in the shops and buy things.They can get really narky if you say no.I suggest also if you smoke to get you cigarettes at the airport before you get to the resort as they do not have english ones.Please do not be fooled into to buying any packs of 200 there because there all fake.There contain fish oil and brown on the tips.Even in the one supermarket they are fake.Going back to the hotel we never saw cutlery on the tables and we had to give them a tip just to lay the flippin table unless your german you do not exist..The pool on the roof top is relly nice but the germans reserve the beds ha ha so be quick if you want one!!! Near the Madina shoppong centre dont be fooled into thinking it is a shopping centre as what we call it.Its nothing like it.They sell the same old tat all the way along.I would reccommend the harbour up the top its lovely and the sultan viking boat trip is good.Any questions please get in-touch .

Room Tip: sea view is nice.there is a bar on the beach though that blasts music,but it went off at 11.30 every...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sheena1964
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have just returned from a weeks stay at Yasmine Beach resort in hammamet, And i have to say what an amazing holiday it was. I travelled to Yasmine Beach with the girlfriend, we had so much fun within the weeks stay.
The hotel is suitable for all types of party's i.e couples, families with older and younger children. There was plenty of activities for everyone to enjoy throughout the day and especially the shows of an evening.
The animation team was absolutely excellent, they're so loving and welcoming towards everyone, And making sure they make your holiday extra special and of course one to remember. The team do not get enough credit for the effort and performance they do for everyone.
The food was also excellent, i am not a fussy eater but if you was there was plenty of food to choose from, i.e local Tunisian foods, chips, spaghetti bolognaise, and other foods from a variety of countries. If you have a sweet tooth you will love the amazing dessert table with so many different types.
PLEASE DO NOT READ THE BAD REVIEWS. NONE OF THEM ARE TRUE.
Definatly well worth the money we paid and in most defiantly the best week of my life.
Thank you to every one at Yasmine Beach resort and a big thank you to all the animation team for all the effort they made for a unforgettable holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ashley s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammamet
Caribbean World Hammamet Garden
#20 of 118 in Hammamet
Vincci Flora Park
Vincci Flora Park
#29 of 118 in Hammamet

Been to Yasmine Beach Resort? Share your experiences!