“Terrible”

El Mouradi Hammamet
Ranked #49 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The room is terribly dirty. Though this is a beach resort, I can't tolerate so much sands on the room's carpet. Those sands in the carpet also make the floor of the humid bathroom turning black and dirty. Room keeping service is also below standard. It is so disgusting that I found lots of sands on the towel of my room, also there was a used soap in the bathroom. I'm not sure whether there is a clean up before customer move in. Security is also an issue. When we just arrived and went into the room with the room key from front desk, the room had been occupied! We saw others' luggages, but luckily there was no body inside. If you have choice, please don't go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NikPeg
Marouen K, Manager assistant at El Mouradi Hammamet, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having time to review.
Our highest priority is to ensure a best level of cleanliness in all Hotel areas especially the rooms.
It turns out you were accidently given an unprepared room. We would like to apologize for this error and we regret you spent only one night that we couldn’t change it in the next day. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our Hotel El Mouradi Hammamet.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Before I say anything, if you are a Brit looking for a home away from home but with some sunshine, please, do the reputation of British people a favour and just stay home. The arrogance and ignorance of most of the British holiday-makers was embarrassing. I made sure, when asked, that I stated which part of Britain I was from as I didn't want to be associated with those who do nothing but complain that this completely different country, which has a different culture, religion, currency, way of life, wasn't British enough!

The Fantastic:

*Food - a massive range to suit all tastes and it's constantly being topped up and is always hot. The hotel offers food 24/7 so you're never hungry but, if you do fancy something different, there are plenty of places close by selling food at ridiculously cheap prices. We enjoyed some delicious crepes down by the marina. There are 4 restaurants in the hotel - if that's not enough, you're too fussy. Please, ignore complaints from the reviewers who clearly eat nothing but McDonalds.
* Activities - there is so much to do! Para-sailing, water sports, camel caravan, market trips, quad-biking (amazing! Would highly recommend), wildlife park, Zulu dancers & dinner (unforgettable!), pirate boat trips, Sahara desert experience, visits to local towns, Tunis, etc. The hotel itself also has activities such as tennis, table-tennis, water gym, darts, french bowls, etc AND has a kids club AND stage entertainment every night. The animation team who arrange the activities (and do the evening entertainment) work ridiculously long hours, get paid very little but are ALWAYS bursting with energy and have a great sense of humour (please - give them a little something at the end of your holiday!). You certainly won't be bored.

*Staff - You know what, if you don't speak Arabic then the staff should already be in your good books. How good is your Arabic? I was amazed at how well the staff spoke a range of different (and complicated) languages and was shocked that I didn't come across ANY other holiday-makers who greeted the staff or locals in their own language. This is Tunisia, not Europe - show some respect. The Tunisians couldn't believe it when I greeted or thanked them in their own language. Please take the one minute it will take you to learn (at least) 'Asslemma' = Hello and 'Shukran' = Thank you.
The staff are very friendly, have a good sense of humour and you will be VERY well catered for. Our bus arrived at the hotel after 1am and the hotel put on the buffet just for the 8 of us. We couldn't believe it!

Things to be wary of:

* The 5 star rating - the rooms and reception areas are very spacious but, the cleanliness of the hotel is not 5 star. You might find a lot of marks about your room or hair lying around or, under your bed might look like it hasn't been hoovered in ages. So, if you're specifically wanting a 5 star hotel, pay the extra for it. You get what you pay for and this isn't 5 star standard compared to other places. But, please be respectful, to many Tunisians, you are very much living the life of luxury.

* Touts - you will come across people trying to sell you things and you may be won over with the terrapin or gecko they hand you; just be prepared to say no straight away - nothing is free and if people are desperate to sell you something then remember they're desperate for a reason. When you're out and about, you'll probably be approached by someone saying, "Remember me? From your hotel? It's my day off, let me show you around" - this is someone who works for a shop and wants you to visit it. There are also people with folders around the hotel trying to sell you experiences such as quad-biking, etc. Some of them are legit, some aren't. Ask your rep who to book through. Do NOT book anything until your rep or another holiday-maker has recommended someone to you.

The bad: the holiday-makers. Please, use your manners, remember how to queue and try smiling once in a while. The biggest let down of this holiday was the rudeness of the guests. Everyone had a 'Me first! Me first!' attitude. I felt sorry for the staff who rarely got any thank yous (or, should I say, 'Shukrans'). The staff do so much for very little. Please remember that before opening your mouth to complain.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bach L
Marouen K, Manager assistant at El Mouradi Hammamet, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Host,

"Shukran" for your lovely feedback.
we are very glad to know that you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel, the food, the staff and specially that you learned few arabic words.
We will share your comments with our team and we hope to see you again and help you learning more about our language.

Sincerely

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was worried after reading the bad reviews but had no need. We have just spent a week at this hotel. I asked for a room on the 4th floor and was given a lovely room but unfortunately it was overlooking the pool not the beach which i had paid for. As it was very late when we arrived and the hotel was full we moved the next day. I was given an upgrade to a suite with 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms, 2 balconies overlooking the beach and we could see the marina, all at no extra cost. I found the staff friendly, the cleaner was very friendly and the waiters were very friendly and helpful, coming straight over to us when we entered the restaurant.We used the restaurant for breakfast and evening meal and although the food was Tunisian fare we always found something to eat. We had not gone to Tunisia to look for English food.We used the snack bar at lunchtime and usually had a sandwich or burger. The pool attendants quickly found us sunbeds dragging them to the spot which I had chosen.There weren't many English in the hotel but so what! There were many different nationalities staying in the hotel and I found that to be interesting.The bar staff were friendly and only put drinks in plastic cups if you were leaving the bar area and going over to the entertainment area near the pool, which was for safetys sake. We had a really enjoyable time

Room Tip: Definitely chose a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,
We are thankful that you spent time to give your feedback after your holiday in our hotel El Mouradi Hammamet.
We are very pleased to read your positive reviews ans we hope to welcome you soon in our hotel.
best regards

Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was a 'secret hotel' with lowcostholidays.

This is a 3 star hotel with a newer 4 star extension round the back.The whole hotel masquerades as a 5 star but it clearly isn't. Builders are noisily upgrading some of the rooms into 'superior' rooms which are slightly more updated -only about 10 are available though. The hotel website only depicts these superior rooms, not the standard rooms which are dated and dirty. None of the TV's get good signal. The hotel manager knowingly smiled when we confronted him.

The food is average and very repetitive. Breakfast and lunch never changes, dinner is usually a mixture of lamb/beef or pasta. The snack bar makes pizzas, although I wouldn't expect anything gourmet.

The bar is an extension of the main foyer. The environment isn't particularly relaxing, rather the only place with communal seating. Internet access is available everywhere for free except poolside.

The worst aspect is the staff. These guys intimately despise foreigners. I watched a Chinese group of holiday makers refused seating in the canteen. The service becomes exceptionally poor if you don't tip, you'll need about 20 dinar per day overall.

I'm not interested in the managers response, frankly this hotel is a SCAM.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amitios
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I went at the end of the summer holidays in late July/ early August. It was our first all inclusive experience (usually half board) so weren't really too sure what to expect. Thankfully, it turned out to be a great experience.

We had food and drink "on tap"; the food was very good with good variety (although eggs made an appearance in a whole lot of dishes!). You get one bottle of water per day from the bar and one delivered to your room; if you wanted any more, you had to get clever during the meals and request a glass of water - they usually brought a whole bottle (it was VERY hot when we went).

The hotel itself was good - clean enough, good atmosphere; sheets and towels changed daily. Staff were friendly enough, though some more than others. Few Brits, lots of Europeans who apparently haven't seen black people before judging by the amount of staring we were subject to in the seven days!!!

There are lots of hustlers in Tunisia, including within the hotel where they'll try and hustle you for anything - from signing up to day trips, to getting your picture taken, so be aware of that and only spend when you want to. Don't feel obligated to, no matter how much the pressure.

The hotel was 2mins walk from the seaside; we had a balcony with a view to the sea (as did most guests I think). If you're into sunbathing you'll love the outdoor pool and sunbathing section. We preferred the indoor pool which was more private, and hubby used the gym a lot (you pay 45Dinars for a week's pass which is about £20).

The resort itself is great - 7 days is just long enough to explore it fully (though it could be done in less), and we had such a good time we'd be happy to go again and stay in the same hotel.

Oh, one more thing - you get given a blue wrist tag with "El Mouradi" on it when you check in which you have to wear throughout your stay to access your all inclusive deals. When you go into the markets and town centres, I'd recommend turning this inside out to the blank side, otherwise you'll get strangers coming to you claiming they're from your hotel and offering to "show you round" the best shops. This is a scam, don't fall for it. Also, they assume you have money because you're staying at El Mouradi all-inclusive so they're likely to raise prices just for your benefit!

Enjoy your stay :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MillieMils
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed for a week in September.
Food was nice and varied, something new to try every day.
Wine was ok, waiters always making sure glass was filled, bottled water, sparkling and still,always available.
Room...4th floor, spacious and clean.
Staff...nice people, especially pool man who made sure we had beds everyday in our prefered place (same cant be said for beach staff...found them to be a bit rude) also our waiter in the main restaurant was first class...he really looked after us, he was managing the bank of tables on your left as you entered the restaurant.
lovely beach and pool, I enjoyed the jet ski and paragliding.
We have travelled extensively through Europe and the Carribean and I would use this hotel again, we had a great time.
Thank you.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lfcboy

Dear Guest,
we are happy to read that you had a great time at our Hotel El Mouradi Hammamet.
I will also transmit your compliments to our cookers, to the housekeeping service and the rest of the staff.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon on your next holiday in our Hotel.
Sincerely

Reviewed October 1, 2013

nice looking hotel lovely pool plenty of space for sunbeds around pool.went to this hotel 07/09/13 for 2 weeks paid for sea view room and was put in room with minimal sea view complained and was changed to full sea view next day. large room with large bathroom very dated but clean and sheets changed regularly but fluffy blanket on bed which I don't think is very healthy but believe hotel is in process of being refurbished which is what it needs and hopefully duvets on beds. this is the best of hotel. main restaurant DISGUSTING if you want eggs for breakfast get there early or be prepared to wait as there is only one chef with 1 hotplate so can only serve one person at a time. I had cereal which looked like cornflakes and tasted vile.evening meal forget it we have never been to hotel where food uncovered and cold we had 2 decent hot meals in the 15 days we were there soup never covered so cold edges around trays where people spill or drop food never cleaned up and this is not the fault of the waiters as there just are not enough of them although we had 2 waiters who looked after us as best they could but new we were not happy. we paled up with 8 friends over the 2 weeks and all were ill except me but then I didn't eat very much. there are a few extra cafes where you can get pizzas and beef burgers late into evening and aren't to bad. tourists mostly French and German not many English. bar staff totally ignorant and could be quite rude sometimes when you politely ask for a drink they do NOT look at you or acknowledge you I was told they did not like English well sorry that's their problem but must say bar manager is a lovely man very polite and talks to every one. my husband drinks wine and politely asked for glass of wine at 11.30pm (bar closes at midnight) and the barman poured wine into plastic cup he had to tell barman throw that away and pour me a wine into glass thankyou which he did. by this time we had had enough so next night be fore we left we arranged to see the manager and told him there are some serious issues at this hotel that need to be addressed he wanted name of barman who served wine in cup and we refused did not want the guy to lose his job just get problems sorted best al a carte by far is Italian. In June this year we went to el mouradi palm at el kantoui and this hotel Is faultless everything first rate we tried to get transferred but fully booked. wanted to go Yasmin hammamet so chose this hotel BIG MISTAKE. this hotel is not any where near 4+ and this an HONEST & ACCURATE REVIEW.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple