“Not a 5 star hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Not a 5 star hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is not a 5 star hotel- it is closer to a 3 star hotel. Although clean sheets and towels every day did make a difference, the rooms facing the sea over look the night club which did not even start until 11pm and went on until 2.30am with the most deardfully intrusive noise. This was a great shame as in the mornings the sea view rooms benfitted from the sound of hearing the sea.
The food was awful- the same food re-hashed into something else the next day. I am alllergic to seafood and someone had used the wrong serving spoon in the vegetable dish. I asked the chef if I could have a clean spoon so as not to contaminate the vegetables, and he just used the same spoon to stir the vegetables, so mixing clam sauce with spinach, which meant that I could not then eat the vegetable dish. Having the heath inspectors round did nothing to increase my confidence with the quality of the food. One morning I had asked for fruit salad so they chopped up some apples and oranges and put it in fruit juice but the same dish was brought out four days in a row without any fresh fruit being added- the apples were soggy and fermenting by the 4th day!
You had to pay for the gym: the sauna is only available as part of an exensive spa package- over 100 dinars to have the massage and sauna; the road separates the hotel from the beach but the sand is full of glass and rubble and where the camels anad horses have been menas that the sand is unclean. The road is not noisy but the surrounding nightclubs are- intrusively so.
However, the staff were overall kind and although expected a tip, made it bearable.
I would not stay there again and think it overpriced and over rated.

Room Tip: Complain if you are given a bad room- try to get on the 4th floor and facing the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Harvey160

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Snodland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here in June 12 and had a fantastic time! Super hot sunshine every day, The rooms were adequate and clean! The staff were excellent, very friendly and there was plenty to do in the daytime and evening with the evening entertainment hilarious!

The rooms were ok.. I have definitely stayed in worse, I found the bed comfortable enough, although did have to fold my pillow in half to make it halfway ok!

There was an excellent choice of food with snacks like burgers and chips served of a night time. In the mornings there was a man making fresh pancakes, lunchtime and dinner time was a fresh grill making different meats and fish. Definitely something for everyone, I'm sure even the fussiest of eaters would find something to eat.

At lunchtime and evenings the waiters will remember your usual drinks and have them waiting for you for your meal... Excellent customer service by everyone I came across.

The bar staff make the different bar areas a nice place to be, making cocktails and being efficient in bringing your next drink along!.. The drinks are not strong (usual all inclusive strength) but tasty and gets u merry eventually!

The pools were clean as were the poolside areas, I never had any problems getting a sunbed, the pool man will always find you a spot there somewhere!

The pools were lovely, nice temperature with a normal pool and a sea filled one (so clean the only way you know it's sea filled is that you float and get a better tan!

The rep has lived there for years so had superb local knowledge, I would recommend the Tunisian night excursion that she organises.. Although would not recommend the drag act in the bar down the road... which was hilarious but was not meant to be funny.. (Was just fellas in lovely frocks miming to songs) .. After happy hour in this place, drinks turned out dearer than at home (and I go drinking in central london!)

A hotel complex that has working free wifi, and free air con! Fab!
I travelled here with a female friend and we both felt safe in the local area.
All in all.. I would definitely return here and would recommend this as a nice cheap relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: If you have the spare cash, pay for a room upgrade for a nicer more spacious room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank del-the-dog
Bijeljina, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

First of all, all people should know where they are going when they book holiday. So , at first place this is Africa, so conditions in hotels are little bit different then in Europe. Ok, it's not 5 star hotel but you could get good service if you are persistent. My friend and I were there in June, from 23. June till 03. July, and I can say it was very nice. Although we had terrible start later was everything ok. First we came when hotel was fully booked so we got room on second floor that was terrible, well I don't have words, more then terrible. But we found manager and complained constantly, they said they don't have any free rooms but in the morning they will change us room. So in the morning we took key of other room and it wasn't much better so I got back to the reception and explained them some things. I was very upset, and after I said that I'm gonna sleep at the reception they gave us key of room at 4 floor :) So, if you get bad room you must complained.
Tunisians are little bit pushy especially if you are single women out there, but they are not dangerous. As the hotel stuff I can't say anything bad, we met lots of them that are very educated and ready to help for everything.
I will not make comment about food because I'm very flexible regarding that. For me it was ok. Pools are ok. But I don't understand people that write comment and on the first place say ''pools are terrible''. For me you should come to holiday at sea and spend it by the pool , you can do it home!
Position of the hotel is nice, nice surrounding, quiet and safe.
I really can not say so bad words like some of people here, but every experience is different. Maybe I had more luck. If you want to get nice room ask for the rooms at the 4 floor. For everything else you have managers to talk with, but you must understand that they can control 500 hundred people at the same time.
And at the end for me the best thing- DEFINITELY THE SEA. WONDERFUL ! Sea, beach, temperatures, climate. And I would definitely come back for the sea and beach, everything else is not so much important.
Try to enjoy you holidays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Brankica M
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

In this holiday I have seen things that I never saw anywhere on earth.
Forget the cockroaches, they don't have any, perhaps it's winter season.

But ..
Have you ever seen people fighting for a peace of bread?
Have you seen people going from first to third floor just to 'book' their place on the lift?
Have you seen people queuing for food and each taking four times his share?
Have you seen children playing in the corridors at 03:00am knocking on doors as a game?
Have you seen a 1000 people all brought from the street together to fill up a hotel?
Have you seen an open swimming pool filled with people in winder clothes all day?

If you haven't ... it's in that hotel.

I paid £580 quid for the week, and thought it was cheap alright.
But the other people from Tunis actually paid the equivalent of £8 per night (all inc.)
Who wouldn't go at that price to a 5 star hotel? at least to take pictures!

Room Tip: Try to find another hotel, end of story.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Walid E

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

There you go:
This hotel is wonderful all around,
However, the administration is so poor we had been here two days enjoying it best, and all of a sudden the hotel has been invaded with hundreds of Tnusian visitors all of a sudden to make the stay unbearable.

15 minutes of queue to get an omellette
Bread runs out!
You are restricted in what food you choose, lifts are a nightmare with kids using it just for fun.
All that was 12 to 19 of December!!!
Wonder what it's like in the summer, it must like a tin of sardines in there!

I don't mind them lowering prices (which is definitely the case, we asked), but we paid dear money to get that service.

So if you ask me if it's a good hotel, the answer is definitely yes, it's very good.

Lovely big rooms, wonderful service staff - don't believe those who moan about the staff asking for tips, that's normal all over the place - pools are fantastic, rooms are new, clean, big, lovely.
The food is more like 4 stars.

The location is fantastic, I would say a bit difficult, if you don't drive then you will find it hard to get anywhere, I saw taxis around the hotel which can be hired, never needed them though, but it would be good to.go the city for buying stuff.

Tunisian people don't cheat in prices, not as bad as other countries at least, however they tens to add things you don't wanr. I bought a kilo of oranges and saw that he put more than 5 kilos, when I said I didn't want all that he answered 'it's only cheap'.

I recommend visiting a city called (halk alwadi) and eating fish there.
It's all fresh and so good, and Tunisia, just watch what pay.

The staff are helpful but with all those people, they are helpless to be honest.
I asked if this was a one off, but some staff said it's how they fill up the hotel in low season.

I know it's silly to ask for an empty hotel, but we paid dear to have it, no point spending 1 hour in queques to get fed, I actually had 2 dinners outside and gave breakfast a miss to avoid the queues and the noise they make,

The staff never asked.me for tips, but as everywhere, they expect it.

Breakfast is good as I said, and so is dinner, the cleaning staff are so polite and they don't mind cleaning while you wait in the balcony.

The atmosphere is brilliant in the parties, it's just that there's so many people you end not enjoying it.

If you are a smoker you will love it here, 20 cigs are about £1. Wish it was in England.
Car hire is cheap too, we paid about TN359 for a weak, about £150 quid which is ok really,

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank paltalker
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Arrived at hotel - was sent away the receptionist said I was at the wrong hotel - dragged my cases (without help) to the 4* sister hotel - was sent back (with my cases - no help) to the original 5* hotel where eventually they found my booking. Got into room - telephone socket hanging off wall, safe deposit box not working, fridge had no door and there was water dripping from the air con the carpet was wringing wet. No other room available!! The maids cleaned the rooms as late as 4:00pm and throughout my 2 week stay I had to constantly request towels as they had forgotten to replace them and on one ocassion I returned to my room and had no sheets again another telehone call at 5:00pm to be told the housekeeping staff had gone home!!! Eventually a trip down to the reception sorted thi issue out!

Not enough sunbeds around the pool or beach area. People were leaving their towels on the sunbeds on the beach and going shopping most of the day. The beach bar closed at 4:00pm and the reserved loungers still had no people on them. I also found out that the lifeguards had reserved loungers around the pool with own towels and if you tipped them they removed their towels and let you use it - it became a costly exercise after staying there for 2 weeks.

If you like loud music until early hours of the morning then this is the hotel for you. Nightclub inside hotel allowed members of the public into the hotel and the very very loud music went onto until 2am.

This is my 5th visit this year (12012) to the same area (Yasmine) and would not recommend this hotel to any of my family or friends. I would grade it at 2-3* (taking into account the different standards of grading - this is after all Africa).

Room Tip: Higher floors if you want to try and get away from the nightclub music.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mandy H
essex uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have just come back from 10 days we never give a bad review but this time this hotel was so bad we wished we had stayed at home. This was the first hol in over a year the food was not for anybody unless they were Tunis we were the very few of eropeans there were 300 Tunis on a conference. But to go on the rooms we had a leak in our bathroom that took 4 days to fix, the shower fell off the wall and 7 days to fix, the lift did not work for 3 days and we were on the 3 floor, the bath room and the carpets were in need of a serious up date NOT 5 STAR the lights in the stairwell were out so 2 women fell and had to go the med centre. Some of the staf were good but 50% were really bad! THIS HOTEL IS 3 STAR AT MOST and if you are women on your own do NOT go we felt unsafe to go out. The place is run down and not some were you would want to walk.

Room Tip: ask for a pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple