“very disappointing no 5 star”

El Mouradi Hammamet
Ranked #60 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
“very disappointing no 5 star”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was not my first trip to Tunisa having previously stayed in a 5 star resort.This is no way a 5 star hotel I would grade it as a 3 star. The rooms are not just dated but very dated requiring a complete renovation. However the beds were comfortable the bedding and rooms clean. Not the same can be said for the plates in the restaurant grimmy comes to mind they felt like they needed another wash in clean water.The food yes lots of variety of low quality dishes lots of fish and meat on the bone most dishes needed to be warmer. Breakfast was ok.The Animation team need sacking I found them sullen and unfriendly to most unless, you took their fancy and they would spend a lot of time with you instead of doing the job they are there for.Not enough sunbeds be prepared for a 6am start. Some of the staff work hard and are friendly but I witnessed extreme rudeness towards guests from the bar staff. I was there on half board basis and felt like I was second class . If your looking for quality and good service this not the place for you.As my welsh friends said you wouldnt find the big boys putting their name to this resort. Another issue outside the hotel be prepared to be pestered by shopkeepers and flower boys. But more worrying is the young men that follow women down the road and dont go away until you are very firm with them. During my 9 night stay I did not see on police officer to help and because of this I will not return to Tunisa. I was originally booked into the Marhaba Palace in Port el Kantaouri and changed due the building work I think I made a mistake...............hello Wales

Room Tip: dont accept the first room as you will be able to get better
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Beverley C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Me and my partner booked a late deal from the 3rd - 14th June 2012, We arrived the room was`nt ready which irritated our lass but we just popped into the bar and had a few drinks. The room became available after a couple of hours, which was very clean and spacious ( free air conditioning) I have read other reviews on this hotel, I agree with the green carpet thing (smelly) and slightly out dated decor, but I was`nt there for the room. The weather was absolutely gorgeous that is what I went for, The food very well presented some tasted lovely some not my cup of tea throughout the trip I ate well. WORD OF WARNING: DO NOT EAT WATER MELONS!! as these are grown using untreated water and can give you a rather upset stomach. I keep hearing people moaning about not catering for the ENGLISH !! if you want english go to the COSTA DEL SOL!!! Please don`t turn Tunisia into another CHAV SITE full of lager louts.
Tunisia is a little jewel in the Med and it will only get better, There is not a lot to do on the nights except a few beers on the complex, El Mouradi is in a stunning location the staff fall over to help you, the reception area looks 5* the rooms require updating but overall I had a great time. Would I go again? Of course a little bit more consideration for English but not too much, like I said before don`t turn this little Gem into CHAV DEL SOL

Room Tip: You won`t be in your room a lot the weather is fantastic
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carl B
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Not sure where to begin - but bear in mind this is my first time at writing a review.
1. Be prepared to tip if you want good service (every day and for everything).
2. Getting up after 6am is no good if you want a sun-bed! (But tip the towel man every day and you will be fine!) For once it seems it is not the Germans but Polish & Russian who reserve beds at dawn then don't appear til 10am!
3. Don't expect the waiters walking around with trays to ask if you would like a drink - but show them some Dinar and you will be looked after.
4. Room (on 3rd floor) basic but clean. Air conditioning very poor (we were told they put it on according to the date not the temperature)! My husband lokked at 2nd floor rooms and found them desperately needing TLC - bedding and carpets stained and cigarette burnt.
5. If you have sea-view room on front of hotel be aware that the music from beach disco is VERY loud - I mean VERY! At times you cannot have a conversation on your balcony - you simply cannot hear.
6. The food is the worst we have ever had in an AI . Nothing is hot and it is so incredibly repetitive and bland. I could write a lot on this subject but it would take far too long. Will just suggest that you cut your losses and eat outside the hotel at night.
7. The red wine is tolerable but the white awful.
8. Forget the themed restaurants, they are dark and dingy. The food is basically the same in every one but with a little something added. Example - the minestrone soup in the Italian - Next night in the turkish - same soup with a few chick peas added. Set menus - no choice and definately no flavour!
There are a lot of nice waiters/staff but some behind the bars are miserable and rude.

Outside the hotel is not a pleasant experience. Don't be conned by the young man in the street who claims to be a waiter in your hotel and recognises you from breakfast - they are conmen! There are loads of them just wanting to get you to their family shop to spend your Dinar on very poor fake goods. (They recognise you from your all inclusive bands on your wrists!).
It is especially intimidating for females and would advise if you don't like hassle, leering men or men that touch you - stay in your hotel!

Now to the good points -
1. The weather

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor seem a little better. Front of hotel get morning sun so become very hot quite ear...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank asas0409
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have just returned from a 10 days vacation that I spent with my three years old daughter in El Mouradi Hammaet. That was a very nice stay and very positive experience with this hotel and Yasmine Hammamet in general. This is my third visit to Tuinisia, but first time with my child. We went to Chartageland and enjoyed there six attractiions for kids, we also went to Friugia park which we really enjoyed. Hotel was OK, animation people were doing their best to entertain kids, food was also OK {maybe a little repetitive, but still good}, room spacious and regularly cleaned (need some refurbishment), beach and pool areas nice and properly maintained. General impression is very positive and I hope to be back at this hotel at the beginning of september' but this time with my wife and six months son.
BP from Bosnia

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bogdan P
Reviewed June 13, 2012

me and my boyfriend booked to stay in their sister hotel 4*El Mouradi El Menzah (these hotels are joint and use the same pool and facilities) but upon arrival the other hotel didnt have any rooms available so they 'upgraded' us to this ''5 star'' hotel. first thoughts was greatttt get to stay in a 5* when we paid for a 4*. So we walked over to this hotel and checked in, got our room key and was left to carry our bags and find our room ourselves. got to our room and it was TERRIBLE!!! stained horrible green carpets, dirty and smelt funny. If you like the colour green you may love it. (green carpets, bed, curtains, chairs, EVERYTHING) was too green for my liking. I would give this hotel a 3*. In the morning our safe was not working so rang the reception they said they will be up right away. didnt come!!! i had to ring them 6 times to come and sort it out. By now I was getting so annoyed with this hotel so I complained to their sister hotel, we asked if we could come back to this hotel as we was not happy with El Mouradi Hammamet. The manager give us a sea view room and it was fantastic!!! beautiful clean tidy rooms!!! and no green horrible carpet, it had nice tiled flooring. so glad we came back to El Mouradi El Menzah. Customer service was 100% better and the hotel did not smell and was so much cleaner.

so word of advance. Dont stay at this hotel, stay at their sister hotel El Mouradi El Menzah. 100% better rooms, cheaper and both hotels use the same facilities.

And word of advance to this hotels manager. rip up that old green carpet in all the rooms!!! and put tiles down like your sister hotel. and sort out the smell in the corridors

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Helendumbleton

Travelers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

We took a last minute deal to Tunisa for the Jubliee week which was a really nice break and feel refreshed. About the hotel, the resort faclities I feel is 5*. It has 3 main outdoor swimming pools with another 3 pools for kids and an indoor pool, all are very clean. There is a centre outdoor bar area which is perfect for refreshments in the heat!!! There is an Entertainment team who get the sun bathers going with water aerobics which is great fun to take part or watch and they have a kids club which my son loved. My room was NOT a 5*, it was very dated with worn green carpets, old wooden beds and not even a flat screen TV. I recommend if your taking kids, take a portable device to connect to the TV as the only English channel you will receive is BBC World. After speaking to a couple of English visitors, they also had this kind of rooms. The All Inclusive food is good for the first couple of days but this gets repetitive with the same kind of buffet food style everyday. The beach was good which is across the road and you could gets drinks from the bar there. Please note, if you are wishing to Sun Bathe on the Beach or at the Swimming Pool, you need to get up at 6am in order to get a good spot with a Sun Parasol as there is not enough for all the guests because this hotel combines it's facilities and is adjacent with the El Mouradi El Menzah. Great evening entertainment with a kids disco followed by a show for adults. Overall this hotel is a 3*+ and not a 5*. Staff are really friendly and will always try to help with any questions.

• Stayed June 2012
Egorievsk city
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Sea & sun it was nice. A lot of different fruit's at the restaurant

Room Tip: 371 - We saw a sea from our balcony
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family