“Lovely relaxing break”

Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing break”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I travelled here with my mum, auntie and grandmother for a week from 09/06 to 16/06. Where to start! My auntie needs special assistance, and we booked this hotel as 1 - Thomson say it is platinum so your drop off should be 1st or 2nd (used to work for Thomson so know this should happen) thought great - not too long for her to be sitting down again. Turned out we were the 7th stop - not the hotels fault at all - but Thomson if you read this - you need to sort it out! The porter came out and met us and carried in the bags, we were giving a glass of orange juice and the receptionist came over to welcome us, and advise which 2 rooms we had and where the restaurant was. That was it. I really think the hotel would benefit from providing a map of the hotel - so you know where everything is! We were only informed about the restaurant. Had to work out everything else for ourselves.

We followed the porter with our bags to the "bungalow" - how can you call an apartment ground floor and 1st floor with steps a bungalow? Again Thomson - very mis-leading if you do need special assistance or are the older generation who can not do steps very well I would probably recommend sticking with the main hotel, and least you have the lifts. All in all the room was lovely - very big and the beds very comfortable - pillows very bizarre, but once you get them in the right place they are ok. Bathroom is a decent size, but as mentioned previously if you flush the toilet in the middle of the night it sounds like it is about to take off - if you are coming to this hotel please remember this to save your neighbours some sleepless nights! Could benefit from having grips on the bottom of the bath or a bath mat - first day I nearly skidded over!

Restaurant was decent, people please bare in mind you are in a very poor foreign country - you cant expect the 5* in Tunisia to be the same as a 5* in Dubai, The Carribean etc! Breakfast they had a range of pastries including croissants and toast. Had all different sorts of eggs and a few bizarre sausages, always had the salad, cereal and yoghurt options to. Drinks were a bit more difficult, Tea and Coffe served from the jugs tended to be luke warm - so the family opted for tea bags and tea pot near the warm milk. Lunch - is again ok for being a poor country. Always managed to find some chips and salad, even different ranges of pasta. Dinner - same as lunch although they did have a few different themed nights. They had an Asian Night with a Beef Stir-fry - was amazing! We visited the Italian Restaurant - wasnt too impressed with this, the main course was literally a chicken breast stuffed with avocado and 2 warm ish potatoes.

Pools - they are gorgeous! Lovely loungers in the pools and a few little bits for children to play in. Yes they are very cold! But if it is 35 degrees outside - you dont then want to jump in to a warm pool! Only problem with the pool area was people putting towels out from around 4am - absolutely ridiculous. The hotel was at full capacity. I definitely do think the pool staff should go around at 7am removing towels. The germans tend to be very early rises and didnt leave much for us english folk that move at 8am!

The beach was nice enough - unfortunately I dont like sand so didnt venture down there too often.

All in all it was a good hotel and was good value for money. I wouldnt say this was a hotel for active children by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a good hotel if you want to chill for a week and eat half decent food. I have been to places in spain where the food is awful and have lived on subway all week. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and would recommend the bungalows, they are not much more expensive to upgrade to and I believe they are slightly bigger.

The staff here are fabulous, they will do anything to make your day that bit easier. They all have a smile on there face the whole time and always ask if everything is ok. The general manager is always wandering around, so if you have a problem - tell him! He welcomes feedback. Raja cleaned our room and she done an amazing job, very friendly lady!

I would definitely return here, Tunisia is a lovely place, reminds me a lot of Egypt but a lot cleaner!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ALB1990

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was our second time returning to this hotel and it was just as good if not better then the first time. We are a couple in our early 20's and had a brilliant time. We stayed in a bungalow right next to the smaller pool which was lovely, bungalow is big and the fridge is always stocked up well with water or fizzy. food yet again was brilliant PLENTY to choose from. I'm a very fussy eater but i always had plenty to eat everyday. Beach is lovely, pools are nice and cool which is needed after some time in the heat. The waiter at dinner was lovely, always friendly and had our drinks ready for when we arrived. Yes we did tip and the service was brilliant, it only costs a few dinar to tip and only 1 dinar equals to 40p so don't be cheap, these people are on a very very low wage, a 5 dinar tip after dinner is nothing for us but is a huge difference to them and they show their thanks.

My partner was ill while over there (medical reasons unrelated to anything over there) and the hotel was brilliant!! they sent for a doctor who arrived within the hour at our room, spoke better english then the doctors in the UK, gave him a prescription for medication which the hotel went and got for us and they then proceeded to ring our room a few times to check he was well and ok recovering! which was really nice and caring of them.

We have only just returned and was very confused by a very negative review posted below, i would just like to point out that if you arrive for lunch nearer the end of the serving hours you won't get much food as most people arrive for lunch at the start, i'm on 02 and had full signal the whole time we were there and was always able to make calls and texts anywhere i was i.e beach/room/lobby etc. You cannot come to another country and expect them to provide you with tea and coffee that is more of a UK thing not many other countries have that obsession, if you are desperate then pop to the local shops where you can easily pick that stuff up. Only once did we see camel poo on the beach and that was very quickly cleared up. As for the smoking, this is THEIR culture and how it is everywhere in tunisia, we never found it to be a problem. There really just is no pleasing some people and they will try to find fault with anything really. We have been on holidays to many difference countries and this is the only place we have come back to twice as we have had such a brilliant time. Most certainly worth its 5 stars, we have never recieved any treatment less then that.

Hopefully we can come back here very soon.

5 Thank sunshines237
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here from 9-16 june 2013. We arrived late and were greeted at the entrance with a refreshing drink and told we had been 'upgraded' to a bungalow with a superb seaview. When we got to our room we were disappointed, the room was dated, dark and our sea view was in fact a palm tree blocking any sort of view. We contacted reception immediately to complain as we had originally booked a room in the main hotel with a seaview. Reception said they had no other rooms available and we would have to check back in the morning.
In the morning we contacted reception to be told once again they had no rooms and to check back the next day. This was not the start we wanted to our holiday. Eventually we were offered the room we wanted and what a difference it was. The room was refurbished, more modern and what we had expected in the beginning from this hotel and an excellence view of both the pool and the sea.

The food is good and what you would expect of a buffet stye dinning experience. It was good quality, freshly cooked and there was always plenty of choice with themed evenings. However, you do not know the theme until you arrive at the restaurant. Dinning in the evening is slightly confusing on the first night as we were giving a specific table in which we were told is where we would sit for the rest of our holiday. Service is good and staff are overall friendly and attentive. We never tried any of the al carte restaurants.

We only visited the evening entertainment once and it was an external act that came in. The show was good but only last approx. 40 mins. There are activities during the day but guests are not pestered to take part.

There are a couple of activity reps in the hotel for different trips who will constantly ask if you would like to do their trip, just tell them no and continue walking if you do not want to go but be prepared to be asked again.

There are two pools, one with a pool bar. They are generally big enough for everyone but can be a bit chilly. The pool bar itself is good and you get service with a smile. In some instances you can be served your drinks at your lounger so no need to get up and go to the bar yourself.

Now on to the sun loungers. The hotel do not like people reserving the sun loungers but unfortunately guests still do and in some cases you are best getting up at about 7am if you want to get one in an area you'd prefer. In some cases people reserved their loungers and did not turn up for the majority of the day. Although, if the staff see a lounger not being used and has not been used all day they will remove the items and give the lounger or parasol to you.

As with many of the reviews, smoking in the main lobby area is an issue if you are a non smoker. The smoking area is right in the centre of the lobby and unfortunately you have no way to avoid walking through the plume of smoke to go outside. Also the smoking area is right outside the main restaurant which is unpleasant.

The onsite shop of ok but you can only buy a limited number of snacks and the majority of the store is clothing, suitcases and jewellery.

Unknown to many there is a number of pool tables downstairs under the indoor pool area and the gym. They are a good escape away from the smoke in the lobby area and a good way to pass time between meals.

There is very good wifi connection in the lobby for those who cant live without the internet. Although you cant got wifi in the bar or the restaurant. Also surprisingly, if you are lucky enough you may be able to get wifi in your room in the main building. We had room 1333 and had brilliant signal, even on the third floor!

Not something you want to think about on your holiday but check out is 12 pm regardless of what time you depart for the airport. We did not leave the hotel until 17:45 and wanted to book late check out only until about 3pm. Once again reception told us to come back the morning we were leaving to find out if we could and once again they said no. So just be aware that you may be unable to get late check out.

However, there are showers downstairs near the pool tables but they are a bit grim and smell a bit, so we opted against waiting until the afternoon to get ready for home, meaning we were sat all day doing nothing.

We are a relatively young couple and believe this hotel is more suited to an older couple.
Although suitable for young families would recommend somewhere with more family orientated activities are more of the day time activities are aimed at the older generation couple.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samantha M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here a family of 4 at the end of may, me my husband & kids age 1 & 3. We paid for a bungalow room & were pleased with it, huge comfy bed & my girls had a bed each in separate room. We also had 2 terraces with 4 sun loungers & were close to the beach bar so we enjoyed a few afternoon beers & cocktails in the sun !
Food tasty, varied & plentiful &,we always had beers & wine waiting for us at meal times. My girls loved the kids disco each night at 8pm.
can't understand the recent comments from someone compering it to benidorm then saying she liked eating pizza & chips ?! We too enjoy holidays in Dubai & other exotics locations but we read the hotel description before booking & knew what to expect (no tea / coffee) & we had a fantastic holiday & would book again

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Gillybabesx
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I am here at the moment and would like to warn anyone looking to book here! I checked all the reviews and they were all pretty good, I just wonder what kind of people & where on earth do they live?
We arrived in the morning around 11:40 after 1 hour delay from manchester.
Hotel appeared fab, we were sent to our Bungalow room. They are nice very basic but liveable. There is no drinks in the room not even tea or coffee you just get a bottle of water. No kettle! I'm typical Brit I love my cup up tea!
The bedding had no covers on so a quilt with no cover that smelt awful!
Anyway, next day we changed the room to a 'bungalow suite' this has 2 bedrooms not much difference or extra luxury just an extra room really, they charged us £180 for the privilege but we have our 3 year old so it's nice for him to have space to run around. There are no added luxurys to this room. The food is our main problem, I wouldn't say we are fussy, the first day we went for lunch, there was barely anything left and there was a bird sat in the bread?! What was left was dry & awful so we didn't eat. All our meals we have just had salad & rice really the chips are quite nice.
We are a 30 year old couple we came myself & husband and our 3 year old. I'm pregnant so drinking wasn't on our agenda just a short getaway as a family of 3. We are used to 5* and usually holiday in the Carribean, Dubai ect so perhaps this is a bit of a culture shock for us. The service feels like they just want a tip. They cater mainly for Russian & French guests and they seem to be a lot of old people. If I could compare this hotel to anywhere I would say the benidorm hotel off the TV! It's the kind of people that come here. There is no O2 phone reception but you can use WIFI data roaming and free wifi in the lobby. The beach is nice but full of camel poop! I mean everywhere! Lol if we could get a flight home we would in a heartbeat but they are full so we will have to make the best of it and try to enjoy it. We are not snobs but we do spend an awful lot of money on holidays this was just a short one but we paid full price. I begrudge paying for a 5* hotel and it can't be anymore than a 2! Plus the pools are very very cold, I can't bring myself to go in, my 3 year old loves it but shivers like crazy! It's hot at the moment gets cool at night which is nice.
I had to write this review as I checked trip advisor everyday for a new one to come on, as they were all good I was really happy to be coming here, either the reviews are from people who have a very low standard of living or the hotel are writing them because none of them are accurate. Also, I'm a smoker well was before I was pregnant but the smoking in the lobby is a joke, I have to walk my 3 year old through they should swap it around because there is no way of avoiding it. Also the food is not 24 hours we went for a snack only in the afternoon and alls they had was crepes with ice cream sprinkles? Urgh! Never again will I visit this hotel or Tunisia! If you've already booked sorry to put a dampener on it! If you are considering booking it I would think twice! Excuse my spelling I'm writing this review in the hotel on my iPhone.

• Stayed June 2013
9 Thank CCoates
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Had a week here, and the hotel was spotless,the staff friendly, food plentiful and of good quality. The bungalow was very clean and in a good position near the beach ( beware there are bungalows overlooking the car park - not an ideal spot) But there was something missing - atmosphere,the place was almost sterile. Nothing seemed to gel. Not sure how the ranking of No 5 was acheived. Have stayed at Les oranges nearby rated 20 and I cannot see how this one is rated so much higher. The reservation of sun beds was a joke, people up at daybreak to put towels out. Even though notices forbid the reserving them, no notice is taken at all by the pool staff.

Glasgow
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just arrived back from this hotel and we had an amazing time. The hotel itself is beautiful, we had a bungalow which they upgraded free of charge to a sea view when they realised we were on our honeymoon they even baked us a special cake. The staff were fantastic especially the pool waiters we had such a great time with them and they always brought us our drinks without even asking them to. We always tipped them as they worked hard to please you. the waiter staff only earn around 20 dinar a week and although they don't expect tips and i very much doubt they would give you less a service if you do not tip the standard tips is usually around 2 or 3 dinar but it's best to wait and watch and see who gives you the service and who deserves the tips. a big shout out to Fethi at the pool bar this guy made our holiday complete he is hillarious and full of fun ask him for a special fethi cocktail.

My only gripe with this hotel is the people putting their towels down at 5am and although the hotel says it has a zero tolerance to it it still happens every day and really annoyed us the usual suspects i really wish the hotel would enforce this rule more.

We never booked any thomsons excusrions although we wanted to see the market at Nabeul we arranged a taxi to do it ourself 15 dinar there he waited for us for 3 hours and brought us back for 15 dinars much better way to do it as thomsons wanted £100 for 2 and your time is limited and most folk at the hotel who done it via thomsons had said they wished they done it how we done it.

Food is plentiful but i bored myself very early on from day 1 i took a bit of everything instead of trying different things every time but there is loads to choose from but at times its chaotic in the dinning room so we always waited till the rush was over. The way some people behave you would think they had never seen food before.

Entertainment was not up to much but we were not to bothered about that even if it was great we probably would not have bothered we just wanted it quiet peaceful and relaxing and that is exactly what this hotel gives you, so if your after a lot of evening entertainment discos etc this is not the hotel for you.

The shop in the hotel charges £18 for sun lotion so make sure and bring plenty with you.

Always remember even in the hotel shop to haggle with them if you want to buy clothes or bags etc any price anyone gives you in any markets quater it down example in the market in nabuel a trader wanted 65 dinar for a bangle i liked i walked away and he chased me for what seemed like miles to offer me it for 5 dinar so be prepared to haggle .

All in all a great hotel great staff amazing weather and beach and we met some amazing people there. Would i return ? Absolutley

My only gripe is the sun loungers and the staff not reinforcing the rule and as we did not want to get into confrontations with people we had to get up early to secure a sun lounger in a descent place

1 Thank LabCouple