“Just what we expected”

Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Strathaven, United Kingdom
“Just what we expected”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderfully relaxing week at this hotel at the beggining of November. From the mixed Trip Advisor reviews we expected a clean, quiet but not too opulent hotel. We were well pleased with the general cleanliness, modest but perfectly satisfactory range of food, delightful clean swimming pools and genuine attentiveness of the staff. This is NOT a hotel for the wild night lifers and it does not take children under 16 years old which from our point of view was absolutely terrific. We found exactly the same mixed views about the place from our fellow travellers and believe that most of the dissatisfied folk had simply arrived with unrealistically high expectations of the hotel and the resort, - READ TRIP ADVISOR BEFORE YOU GO !.

The little private beach with snack bar and free loungers/parasols was raked clean each day and as a water pollution scientist I could tell that this bit of the sea was deliciously clean, despite some reviews referring to nearby open sewers ( surface water drains only !). Something that concerned a lot of beach users was the large amount of what appeared to be dung balls on the strand line (there was a camel on the shoreline). I've brought one of these fascinating light brown fibrous balls back with me ( ah well, it takes all sorts !) and can confirm that these balls are a very special seaweed that only grow in clean parts of the Mediterranean Sea. For you academics out there, these balls which range from the size of Maltesers to tennis balls, are Posidonia oceanica, also called Neptune Grass or Mediterranean Tapeweed and have been recorded as far back in history by guys like Aristotle and Teophrastus as the ancient Greeks used this amazing fireproof and rotproof stuff to caulk their ships.

I slipped up a bit on this holiday and forgot to use enough insect repellent on myself and in the hotel room and collected a few mosquito bites, as did several other guests but it didn't prevent me from having a wonderful time at the hotel pool and at the beach. At over 2.5 Dinars to the GB Pound this is a great country to get value for your dosh but don't forget Tunisia has a tipping culture, which is essential in order to boost what are desperately low wages. I'll definitely be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: This is a very quiet hotel and it would have made no difference to us if our room faced the pool or...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chris638

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Pontefract, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Having read other reviews about this hotel, I have to agree with a lot of what has been said. We came home on November 3rd after a week and I'm glad we were only there a week. On the good side, the hotel was clean and the staff were friendly, the foyer looks very good and the pool and sun terrace were excellent. The food was adequate. On the bad side, there was a lot of damage to the bath in our room. My husband went down with the tummy bug 3 days in to the holiday and I started with it minutes before the coach came to take us back to the airport, there were quite a few other guests had it too. The rooms and dining room are very shabby and not worthy of 4 stars. The rooms are very noisy, we could hear the man in the next room running his bath and swishing the water about, we were also kept awake by his snoring. They put flat screen TV's in the rooms half way through the week, so we listened to everyone's TV's as well. It was my birthday whilst we were there and as a suprise, my husband paid 25td (£10) for a cake to be brought to our table whilst we were having our evening meal. It never arrived. The rep who was very good spoke to the manager Enrique about it and he told her that it had been brought to our table but we'd said it was too big and sent it away! This is totally untrue, the cake never appeared, we've no idea what it looked like, if there ever was a cake. The manager told the rep that he'd give us 15td back, which is not good enough, but we didn't get that money. When we tried to speak to the manager about it, he couldn't be found. He is a very elusive man. We had one day at the beach, a short walk away and it was ok. We had no problems with the sunbeds, but I should think if the hotel was full then there would be a problem. We wouldn't use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third floor, so you have no one clumping about above you.
2 Thank Helen S
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last two weeks in oct and i was the one what had a vist from a doctor i was very ill as was a few more i can honstly say that all you read is true got home early sunday morring went to my doctors on the monday because i was still not well i still find it hard to eat any food as for the manager he did try to do somthing about the food but it only lasted one day i did try to eat again in the dinning room but could only eat a few cakes yes the hotel room was clean but they need to send the staff on a hygiene course i have sent a email to thomas cook with prov of my illnes

1 Thank pual e
Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

All I can say if you going for the food don't bother out of 2weeks stay it was only good on 1 night lot's of people had to call doctor out for stomach problems,after loads of complaints food improved for 1 night only.loved hotel shame about the food,ate out a lot at the rivers return,food there excellent

Room Tip: Third floor pool facing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived after midnight on day of arrival and were issued with a room on ground floor. Being late at night we asked for safe key before we left to go to room to be told they hadn't got one. No refreshment were laid on after our long journey and neither were we told where to go to find our room. Once in room we were aware of a very musty smell, mould on bathroom tiles and on notices behind door. I went very cold during the night and could not stop shaking and my husband woke with blocked sinuses. We looked in daylight, the floor was dirty, hairs on walls in bathroom. We went to reception, explained all this and were then given a room on top floor which was better and had a key for the safe. The rooms were cleaned everyday. All staff were very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast consisted of stale cereals and dried fruit, the usual hams and cheeses, fresh fruit of sorts, very hard slices of bread, scrambled, boiled, fried eggs or as an omelette, funny sausages, potato slices, grilled tomatoes and usually fried vegetables of some sort, very plain pastries and best of all pancakes. Tea, coffee and fruit juice. Snacks at lunch were baguettes, panini, pasta or burgers and chips. Evening meals were much of a muchness, not sure what the meats were so became a vegetarian for the week. The sweets all looked lovely but tasted the same. I had alcoholic cocktails in the evening and to be honest I was as sober as I was before I drank them. One night they had run out of glasses and were asking everyone to return their glasses. There was no entertainment except for some live music a couple of times during the week. The pool was kept clean but it was a bit chilly when you first got in.
The area itself was very run down, the hotel next to it had closed, the one opposite has not been finished and a lot of the shops were empty. We went out a couple of nights and we didn't pass more than 10 people, there were more people working in the shops and restaurants/bars than there were customers. The air outside the hotel smelt of horse wee as it was a main route for the horse and carriages, poor horses looked starved.
The private beach is not that far away and it looked to be one of the best kept, plenty of sunbeds and parasols, food and drink available from beach bar and there were toilets and a shower.
I definitely would not say it was 4*, more like 3*. One good thing about hotel was that there were no children so it was quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: If you want a sunny balcony ask for a pool side view.
1 Thank DEF2802
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

It sounds like my wife and I visited this hotel around the same time as the previous reviewer. We had a similar experience with the hotel reception staff, seen first hand the poor food hygiene practices and seen\sampled the poor quality food offered, We also heard of a few instances of food poisoning.

On arrival there was no information offered at the reception regarding directions to your room, not even a hint at the general direction you should be walking. We were given our room key before the receptionist moved on to dealing with the next couple who had arrived via the same coach. Luckily a single porter (who we never saw again during our brief stay) literally grabbed our bags and walked off with them (obviously we followed) – I'm so grateful as otherwise we would never of found our room.

We then decided to have a quick shower before heading back to the pool area to get something to eat., this itself caused issues as the water temperature of the shower fluctuated from a reasonable temperature to scalding hot without warning. I must admit this brought back a sense of nostalgia growing up in the 80's when my parents would turn on the hot water tap in the kitchen to get you out of the shower! (obviously with the opposite effect).

The food served by the pool wasn't too bad but wouldn't (and didn't) choose to eat there again. The glassware was much to be desired - dirty, chipped or cracked glasses appeared to be the options available.

On arrival at the 'restaurant' there wasn't a waiter in slight, we escorted ourselves to a table. We waited for a couple of minutes, then decided that one of us would be the look out for the waiter while the other went to get something to eat (both of us managed to get something before the waiter appeared). Whilst browsing for some morsel of food that looked remotely appealing, my wife and I observed the chef standing at the griddle using a single pair of tongs cooking both raw and cooked poultry and fish heads – needless to say this was automatically off the menu for us. I returned to my table with a small plate of vegetables and a bread roll as did my wife (but she had also spotted a piece of cake). The plate of vegetables we had were stone cold (apparently the cake was nice). We left the restaurant hungry in search for something edible, we figured that cake as a starter, main and dessert was not a good idea.

We also heard of the cases of food poisoning and also of another guest cutting his mouth on a piece of glass he had found in his burger from the pool bar (after we had already eaten there)!..

The following morning we came down to for breakfast thinking 'you can't go wrong with toast and coffee', the bread (pre-toasting) was pretty stale, it certainly was not fresh by any means.

It was then time to meet the holiday rep. On approaching the rep we could see he had his work cut out for him, he had already been approached by several other hotel guests voicing concerns about various issues. We decided to wait till after the welcome meeting to discuss our concerns with him. The holiday rep was very helpful and advised us that the management had assured him that things would improve – Sadly this was not the case.

We attended dinner on the second night (given the assurances), granted the food looked slightly more appealing! We still weren't brave enough to eat any meat so stuck with another plate of veg. Sadly the food was yet again cold, I approached the manager directly advised him that the food was cold (expecting him to resolve the issue) and asked him to try the food himself. I then returned to my table waited 10-15 minutes and tried again – Still cold and the manager had disappeared, nowhere to be seen (even the reception staff could got contact him).

I eventually caught up with the manager (and his two associates) later in the evening at which point I discussed all of the above with him – Once again he promised that it would improve (by which time we had already decided we weren't staying any longer).

My wife and I had only booked a short break (7 nights) at the flora park, I don't think we were expecting much just a safe, clean, relaxing atmosphere where we could choose to eat at the restaurant (or not) depending on the days events - Unfortunately we did not feel safe to eat the majority of the food on offer and the food that we would/could eat was cold, stale or would be extremely unhealthy and have a negative impact on our waistlines. We asked the holiday rep to arrange a transfer to another hotel, we were transferred to another 4 star hotel (the difference was night and day). This allowed us to enjoy the remainder of our short holiday.

On a positive note: Our room was clean (if a little worn) as were the common areas

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eddy's S, Asistant Manager at Vincci Flora Park, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for choosing Vincci Flora Park and sending your comments. We are pleased to know that our food was to your liking, but regret not meeting completely your expectations and that you were not pleased with specific aspects of your stay.

We are sorry and quite surprised to hear your comment about your arrival as all our reception team has a good knowledge of the english language and give to all the guests the necessary information, in addition in the card that we give to all the guest, you have all the hotel information; further we always offer the possibility to guide you to your room unless our guests decline this service.

In connection with the dinner, we would like to clarify that at all times we try to offer a varied selection with top quality products. In fact, we have available a rotation of thematic buffets with all types of food, such as meats and fish or fresh, 3 differents shows cookings, a big buffet of salads and starters, pizzas and pastas, a big choice of garnishes, a tunisian corner, fruit peeled and in pieces, a big buffet of pastries, among many other products. At all times we try to offer a varied and top quality selection so all of our guests can find something that they find appetizing. We are sorry that in your case it was not like this and we will take note in order to improve.

We would like to inform you that we follow the european standards of hygiene and all foods and procedures are severely controlled by our hygienist and by a specialized company. The woman you saw in our restaurant is OUR hygienist and she collect food samples every day.

Again, we will bear close in mind all of your feedback and observations with the goal of improving our service and adapting ourselves as best as possible to the tastes and preferences of our guests. We work to satisfy our guests and their opinions are extremely useful for doing so.

Warmest regards.
Dundee
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our initial impression was pretty lukewarm and went downhill from there, I should say at this point we were booked in for 10days but managed to transfer out after 48hours.

We were given our keys at reception but not told where we could find our rooms, let alone have help with our cases (this is 4star remember). We found our way and went in to a fairly functional but basic room, we then decided to head down to the pool are and have a bite to eat ordering a burger and beer each. The burger came was pretty poor but beer was good, apart from the chipped and cracked glasses that seemed to reappear each time we ordered a beer.

After a rest we went down for dinner, what we seen was what could be considered as leftovers, one chef cooking turkey and fish heads, to save on washing up he used the same tongs for both, before and after cooking. I decided to try a slice of pizza, this was a mistake as it appeared to be under cooked, we both decided that it would be safer to give dinner a miss.

Later in the evening things took a turn for the worse as we met other guests who were being treated for stomach illnesses, one guest has been treated by the hotel doctor, passing me her prescription it advised that her medication was for salmonella.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and decided that toast would be the safest option, they decided that despite us being booked half board the orange juice would only be available at a 3TDN (£1) glass.

The welcome meeting was entertaining, not for the reps chat, but with a large number of guest who had arrived to complain about the food and conditions, one guest carrying his Saturday evening dinner in a napkin, this was presented to us and the hotel manager who was in attendance, it consisted of three pieces of grizzle and a large piece of fat, lamb was not apparent.

After much discussion with the rep we informed him of our concern, he advise that he had to give the manager a chance to make amends. We agreed and went down that evening for dinner, we were greeted with a large steaming buffet, problem is the steam was coming from underneath and the food itself was warm and the piece of chicken I had on my plate was cold and uncooked inside. We again decided to pass on the food on our plates.

Next day we went down for breakfast, the chefs appeared to be greater in number, but it was soon apparent that the female present was collecting food samples in small plastic bags, yes a food inspector had arrived.

By this time we had packed our cases and we were awaiting the rep to visit that morning, it took us just two minutes to arrange our transfer out to a local Iberostar hotel. Fair play to the rep who made a few calls and organised our move, within 48 hrs we had survive the conditions and were read to enjoy our holiday - in another hotel.

Lastly, the private beach is 5 mins walk away. Staff are not really interested in helping you, it more a social club for their friends who get served without issue and have food cooked freshly for them, they don't eat what the guests are given.

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel.
4 Thank TheTwoRonays
Enrique-Martin, General Manager at Vincci Flora Park, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear guest,