“Very good”

El Mouradi Gammarth
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Gammarth
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We spent two weeks in this hotel from 25th June to 9th July. The location of hotel is very good cause taxi to Sidi Bou Said , or Carthago is only 3 euros. Taxi for La Marsa is cheaper, and to capital Tunis is 6 euros, one way. I am from Serbia and I speak french and english, my wife speaks only english and we can say that personal is very professional and usefull. Cleanliness was good. Food was also good. My twinsons 10 years liked Mario who was very good in day and night animation. So this is an excellent hotel for familly with children.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank miomir
There are newer reviews for El Mouradi Gammarth

Reviewed June 4, 2009

Hello,

that was my first trip to Tunisia and unfortunately, I was there for 3 days only which made the bad impression, given by El Mouradi Gammarth staff, stronger because I didn't get the chance, being on a short business trip, to see anything else that would have changed my opinion.

The incident was that a friend of mine came over to the hotel to spend few hours with me before I go to the airport. Obviously, he asked about my room number at the reception and he, simply, got it. Few hours later, being on a half-board accomodation, I asked if I can have my dinner in my room but the room service asked me to go to the restaurant, prepare my dish and then the room service will bring it to my room.

That was exactly what happened. Except that few minutes after getting the food, the receptionist started calling me asking me to tell my friend to leave. I told him that this was not acceptable and that I'd be doing my check out in 30 minutes anyway. He refused saying that I can stay but my friend should leave immediately.

I packed my stuff and left the room in 10 minutes, without even finishing my dinner. At the reception, I told them how rude their attitude was and that I didn't see anything that say that I cannot have visitors in my room! Even if it was for security reasons, as I have been told by one of the receptionists, they would have rather asked me, when my friend asked about the room number, if I know this person!!!

The 2 receptionists were so rude, exceptionnaly unprofessional and above all liars because they, later, told their manager that my friend ordered food and refused to pay!!!

Unprofessional, so disappointing and extremely inconsistent.

Though, I refuse to generalise and I know that this individual attitude from El Mouradi Gammarth staff, doesn't reflect anything about Tunisia or the Tunisian people.

Magui

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Maguiraef
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Stayed in El Mouradi Gammarth for one night as part of a pre tour night near Tunis, this hotel was the perfect option. For starters, it is way cheaper than anything directly in the town of Tunis. It is located across the street from the beach, and it is a big hotel with all the facilities you could need. Huge pool, great buffet.

The hotel was very clean. Though it wasn't directly in the town of Tunis it is only about 15 min by taxi and they are very cheap.

only downside, our room was tiny.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank CanadaWorldtraveller
Reviewed February 12, 2009

After reading so many negative reviews, I almost decided to change our hotel in the travel agency. Luckily, I haven’t done that and afterwards I decided to write a more positive review. In the meanwhile, five reviewers have already done that and I perfectly agree with the “A balanced review” written by relaxedBurton. (According to the second paragraph, it seems that we were staying in the hotel at the same time).

Just to add some additional info to relaxedBurton’s description. We also had a 3h-journey from the airport, which was a bit unpleasant surprise, since we are young family with a small kid. Otherwise I don’t mind long journeys because one can get a brief impression of the country one is traveling to. Actually there is one airport just 17km out of Tunis, but charter flights go to/from Monastir.

El Mouradi Gammarth is less then 10 km from Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, cca. 30km out of Tunis and the world famous Bardo Museum, so there are plenty of things to do. Tunis itself is also worth visiting twice. I cannot recall whose review I’ve read, but I appreciate the advice to go to these three places on your own, without Sunshine agency. Actually, their price is 65 TD/person and a cab for the whole family (which took us to the same places, without time limitations), was 55 D/day. Of course, one has to bargain, and it is easier if you know some prices. At the beginning, the taxi driver wanted us to pay 250 TD just to Tunis (one way).

Friends told us that the label “all-inclusive” does not mean the same in all hotels. About the AI food offer I would also recommend this site:

(Just in case it doesn't exist any more:)
All Inclusive includes early breakfast (02:00-06:00), breakfast (06:00-10:00), late breakfast (10:00-11:00), sandwich time (11:00-12:30), buffet lunch (12:30-14:00), snacks (14:00-16:00), pizzeria (12:30-16:00), rich coffee break (16:00-18:30), buffet dinner (18:30-21:00), after dinner snacks (22:00-00:00) and late snacks (00:00-03:00). A la carte dinner 3 times a week reservation required. Drinks include draught and bottled beer, wines, soft drinks, concentrated juices and mineral water (12:30-14:00 & 18:30-21:00), filter coffee, espresso, tea, milk and hot chocolate (10:00-12:00 & 16:00-18:00), Turkish coffee, mint tea and shisha pipe (15:00-23:00). At designated bars: local & international liqueurs, appetisers and spirits, international cocktails and draught beer (09:00-24:00).

Nevertheless, the list of activities on the same site sounds too promising. A lot of equipment is in need of maintenance.

I also agree with NIte-flyer that “5 star is a small exaggeration but 4 star would not be unreasonable, and the food is definitely 5 star”. Stuff is very friendly, helpful and not rude at all, as some reviewers wrote.

From reviews on these pages, I found the “Good food, good pool, good beach” quite informative.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank newie2
Reviewed November 20, 2008

It was a lovely warm evening when we arrived and the hotel foyer was outstanding and on the way to our room we passed the enormous swimming pool so far so good! Our room was clean but disappointingly basic. The hall carpets were not clean and the whole place lacked any atmosphere. Our safe and fridge were not working and dressing table stool broken, which could have proved dangerous. Things were put right but there was no apology. No kettle or tea/coffe making facilities and no glasses. Restaurant huge and buffet with lots of nothing special. Surrounding pool area was never really clean and there were always tables that hadn't been cleared from the day before. We had booked, or we thought we had booked all inclusive but its not the same as most places and our deal did not include any drink. 90% of the staff didn't care what we thought so we left after just 2 nights - thank goodness we didn't have a package. I wish we had tken notice of a recent bad review. Without the pool it didn't offer much more and its 20 mins by taxi into town.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank dusty68
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Booked an all-inclusive cheapie at half term after a poor summer. Asked for adjoining rooms and got them. Check in swift and efficient. Rooms very spacious and clean. Maid service excellent.
4 restaurants advertised but only 2 open. Food excellent with fresh, hot buffet of local and international cuisine. Also pizza/pasta every night for the less adventurous(kids!) Service in restaurants very good albeit encouraged by that well recognised incentive...the TIP! (try it my fellow English holidaymakers...it works)
Large outdoor pool was unheated but tolerable by most. Indoor pool very warm but in need of minor maintenance.
We did venture out of hotel once and took taxis to local beauty spot but that was enough for a family who like their personal space! Be aware this is a very poor country and local persuasion to part with your holiday money can feel quite intimidating.
On the whole we had a lovely time at this hotel. The kids got some sun and pool time and we read, drank and ate a lot. If this is what you want then this represents good value for your money.

Reviewed November 4, 2008

Having read a lot of bad reviews about this hotel I was really surprised by what it was actually like.
The tour rep. (Just Sunshine) not only spoke English – she was English. The hotel staff were generally friendly except for a couple of exceptions notably in the dining room. The food could not have been better or more varied. There were no attemps to fiddle the bar tab.
The ONLY complaint that was justified by previous comments was that the hotel does try to segregate “all inclusive guests” from the others. Why they do this is a bit of a mystery as the food and tables are all the same. I can only guess it is some kind of misconceived Tunisian organisational idea.
I accept that 5 star is a small exaggeration but 4 star would not be unreasonable, and the food is definitely 5 star!
All in all a great holiday and I would definitely go back !!!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NIte-flyer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gammarth
Ramada Plaza Tunis
Golden Tulip Carthage Tunis
Karthago Le Palace
Karthago Le Palace
#9 of 11 in Gammarth

Been to El Mouradi Gammarth? Share your experiences!