“Great service, small rooms”

SENTIDO Djerba Beach
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Djerba Island
Nürnberg
“Great service, small rooms”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This would be THE ideal hotel in Djerba if the rooms weren't so small and all crowded together into one main building. More typical for the better Djerba hotels is an architectural layout with a smaller main building and several smaller outbuildings and bungalows in the typical island Menzel style. This hotel unfortunately just has the small, boring rooms to be expected in such a building. Sentido has a very high service standard with very friendly staff, but unfortunately the hotel wasn't Sentido-designed, they took it over from the 3-Star Iberostar chain, and they made a lot of improvements but obviously couldn't make the rooms bigger or quieter. Our first night was absolute hell with a room facing the loud road and terribly loud music from a dance club. I was up all night walking on the beach because sleeping in this small, stuffy room would have been impossible without opening the doors, and with open doors it was noisy till 4:30 a.m. We were given a better room the next day, although we had to beg for it since the hotel was completely booked and our room was promised to another couple. I'm sure the other couple wasn't pleased. The advantages of this hotel are the tasteful bar (indoors and outdoors), the wind-protected pool located just off the beach with an ocean view, the above average cuisine, the excellent service and the incredible bar and restaurant terraces directly on the Mediterranean. It is the only hotel in Djerba built so close to the sea. Still, because of the below average rooms, I would not recommend this hotel since it is located in the upper price range of comparable three and four star hotels, all of which feature much more beautiful and spacious rooms, many of which I have stayed in on previous trips to Djerba.

Room Tip: Upstairs floor, if available, inquire well in advance of arrival as this hotel is often fully booked...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Nouvelair .......a disaster, will not go into details as they have been covered by other holidaymakers.Queried this with T Cook after reading reviews and was reassured (wrongly ) by them.On my return I gave my opinions to T.Cook and was told they had only been going to Gerba since 2011 and had not sent many people there..
Communal areas spotless, at all times .Rooms adequate but a but a bit tired,sheets and towels had seen better days..I would have expected a better standard from 4/5 star hotel.
Food Ok,mostly geared to French and German visitors, not a lot of Tunisian food (this would have been nice) There was always a choice some better than others.
The pool area was very nice and this led onto a lovely beach definitely a plus ,as weather was lovely.
The "entertainment" was geared to the French and German guests they were fluent in these languages but struggled with English although they did try very hard and were very friendly.For this reason the evenings could have been better.you were surrounded by our continental neighbours and there unfortunately was nowhere else to go off site..

3 Thank Vonney19
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Not a great staart to the holiday, travelled with Nouvelair which was fine but arriving at Djerba airport on time at 11pm we then had to wait 2 Hours for bags. No info available, flights from France were coming in after us and getting theirs. Time we got to hotel knackered and fed up.
Check in was easy and first impressions were really good. Got to our room (3025) and found two plates of fruit and a bottle of water in the fridge. NO tea or coffee making facilities in room, perphaps its only us English expect that. Decided to go straight to bed and leave unpacking till the morning. Th way the rooms are located we ended up near to the road which wasn't too much of a problem but the nightclub across the road was. Unlike Greece where the npolice etc keep a eye on the noise and expect bars to tone it down after midnight obviously the tunisian police couldn't give a toss. It eventually stopped at 3.30am and this happened every night!

Anyway room was fine nice and spacious and enough storage space. Dont believe the Thomas Cook brochure we didn;t have to pay for the air con or safety deposit box. Used the spa once cos we had their complimentary treatment a steam bath and then paid for a half hour full body massage, it cost us £16.00 bargain!
The hotel was lovely and they were constantly cleaning it and the communal areas were nice and comfy and clean. The pool was massive and we used it on the first day and then after that went onto the beach.

Some days there was a lot of seaweed around in the sea but once you were past it the sea was lovely and warm and much fun was had by us and our friends bouncing about in the crashing waves. We had a ride on a camel and we used the older man with the 'tache and he seemed to have the bigger camels. He was brilliant gave us full instructions at every point so we didn't come a cropper and made sure we had all the photos we wanted etc until he moved off. Had a brilliant time and the ride, photos etc took over 30mins so really good value for money.

Food was fine but had to put up with the germand who didnt believe in queing. We tended to sit at the same table although we weren't allocated one and the waiter Yusef used to put our drinks out to save the table for us.

Went to Crocodile farm which was a good afternoon out, caught a taxi from outside the gate and it cost us 3 dinar (£1.20) so cheap. Also went to Midoun for souvenir shopping, again taxi was 2-3 dinar. Midoun has a mixture of shops where the prices are fixed or places where you can haggle. One bloke tried to sell me a fan for 80 dinar and i said no my friend had just brought one for 5 dinar and thats all i wanted to pay. He tried to take the money first without giving me the fan so we walked out and they can turn quite nasty so we decided to stick to the proper shops.

All in all a good holiday one or two niggly things but nothing to put us of and seeing other hotels around think we choose right.

1 Thank linda7652
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

After reading all the reviews we were a bit dubious as to what the holiday would be like, well it was lovely!

When we arrived, which was late, I think about 1am on the Sunday morning it was a bit rushed @ reception and we weren't given a map of the hotel, so we were felt a bit lost as to where we were going the next day. I suppose this and the bad pillows was our only main gripe. We always found a sunbed at the pool, we did get down there for 8.30, but later on in the day there was always some free. The beach does get busy though as this where the Germans tend to go. All the other countries that are there are pretty friendly but you will get stared at, it made me feel uncomfortable but to be honest I started to glare back at them and then they stop looking.

The food was delicious and there was always loads of it to choose from. They don't tell you much about the snacks during the day, so make sure you go the beach bar from 3 o'clock and have a waffle, they are delicious. :o) The staff are all lovely, we couldn't have asked for a better group of people. They can't do enough for you and they don't expect a tip but we gave them a few dinar as they don't get paid much.

The entertainment team are funny and really friendly too. They will try and get you invloved in everything but a swift 'no thanks' will do the trick. They don't put on great shows in the evening, they are so bad they are funny. We only went to watch 2 and I have to say we laughed all the way through. We went to a restaurant down the road called 'Il Faro' which was only 3 dinar in a taxi and the meal cost about £40 for two courses and drinks with lots of little entrees the chef provides and that included a tip too. I would definitely recommend doing this as it's nic change of scenery in the evening.

The rooms are basic but comfortable. There's plenty of wardrobe space and the room for toilettries in the bathroom. The rooms get cleaned everyday and it's up to you how many times you want your towels and bedding changed.

We would definitely go again and as I type this I am already thinking about returning next year. Djerba is a beautiful island and great value for money. I really recommend this hotel!! If you do go, have fun and enjoy the stunning untouched views and beaches.

Room Tip: We asked for a view and the view we got was a hedge but to be honest we weren't bothered as we n...
1 Thank RachBurney
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 20, 2012

+: Nice food
+: Modern rooms
+: Directly at the beach
+: Friendly restaurant/bar staff
+: Very nice hamam / spa / massage.

-: Mediocre sports animators: I love beach volleyball but they a) used a painfully hard ball, b) didn't stick to the advertised times and c) one guy was smashing so hard it wasn't fun.
-: One guy selling horse rides was trying too hard. Please leave us alone after the 2nd time.
-: Lots of seaweed in the water in the latter half of our stay. Made swimming in the sea disgusting -- no efforts were made removing it.
-: A little diversity in terms of customers would do good. 95% Germans at the time we were there (mid-October).

Room Tip: We were satisfied with our upstairs room facing the pool.
SKELMERSDALE
Reviewed October 16, 2012

ing read bad reports about Nouvelle Air. Check in was so fast our wheels and feet didnt touch the ground. Plenty of room on board but no hot drinks or food, as others have reported staff not very good. Well enough we arrived at Djerba Sentido beach Hotel was taken to THE ONLY DISABLED ROOM 1050 woooooooooow big enough to party party.Bring on this holiday.Sunday morn came bright and sunny found our way to the restaurant dont understand what people say about the staff as by now we have met RECEPTION STAFF PORTER AND DINING ROOM and BAR STAFF and all have been 100%.Plenty of choice for breakfast and its not that busy you can sit in side or out the choice is yours. I think it would be a good idea to have a set table but thats only because Im in a wheelchair and its a pain having to find a table on the outside edge all the time.Quick look round and wot do I see RAMPS RAMPS AND MORE RAMPS. As Im looking a guy ask would I like help getting to the beach, these guys ask every time Im at this point of the ramp. There is a outside bar that opens at 10.00 this is on the beach However to access it in my chair I need to go pool side but dont worry the waiters will look after you. Back round to the inside there are loos and a huge disabled one at that also a inside bar for the evenings and a in door swimming pool. There is a massage parlour where I had some great treatment ALL CAN BE ACCESSED IN MY CHAIR. The front desk staff fall over themselves and cant do enough for you no matter how small or large the question. On the subject of questions plz plz plz see the lovely concierge lady she is so wonderful and is there every day from 10.00 till 8.00, there isnt ANYTHING she wont do for you and again nothing is any bother.The hotel shop is here and the prices are very much the same as any other shop. Further round is the entertainment area we didnt go here but did a quick look and all is wheelchair friendly.Back out side to the sun there are pleny of sun beds BUT BE WARNED although you are told no saving of beds before 8.00 at 7.00 people are already laying claim to the beds.The pool is cold no matter what time of day but once your in your ok and its easy access all round. Much to my misfortune I couldnt get up to the sun deck, and I was told thats where the topless bathing took place shucks. But hahaha I did get to look when I went paragliding yep you saw it here It was the most wonderful 20mins and not just because I was able to see the sun deck. But that helped, the guys on the beach carried me along strapped me up and I was up up and away it was great. The rooms are cleaned every day you have a cone that you put on your bed if you want clean sheets. A little tip here take your key off the key fob and leave the fob in the slot on the wall that way your aircon will stay on while your out and about.Now for some other info out side the hotel turn right there are ¾ shops here, If you turn left there is one shop.Thursdays is a market day get a yellow cab outside to go HOUMT SOUK 8.00 till 13.00. Then on Fridays MIDOUN 8.00 till 12.00 but best you get back at 11.45 as its Mosque day and taxi will be hard to find. There is one other person we really must say a huge thank you to (no not T/C REP) that is the guy Ayman who collected us from the airport and took us where ever we wanted to be he was a great guy and if anyone in a wheelchair or on foot want more of his info please ask me.So there you go guys a different report to others but then IM different we have already booked room 1050 for Oct 2014 my tip to any disabled person who needs this room would be to email the hotel as soon as you book your holiday

Room Tip: 1050 if you are disabled book this room as soon as possible by emailing the hotel direct
3 Thank liverpoolmadman
CONCIERGE H, Responsable relations publiques at SENTIDO Djerba Beach, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the information that you post to this site for people on wheelchairs and the photos. We are very pleased to see you again and you have to know that you are always welcome.
Best regards.
Your SENTIDO DJERBA BEACH Team.
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We (four adult mid 50’s) stayed at the Djerba Beach from 15th - 29th September and find it hard to fault the place, the location was great, the food was good and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, our first rooms were a bit of a walk from reception, my friend has some walking difficulties and they happily moved us to rooms nearer to the hub of things, we have been amazed to read some reviews complaining about the food or unfriendly staff, ok they do have more German and French guests so there can be a slight language problem with some of them but all in all they do really well, as for the food I sometimes wonder what people actually want, there was a good choice and the quality was fine. I can’t comment about the entertainment as we never went to any. Of course there are always small things that one could complain about, maybe better quality bigger towels in the rooms but thats just being picky. There is some truth in the reviews about the flight being a bit grim, the air con was blowing out hot air all the way there and there was very little choice of food or drink to buy, but its only three hours and well worth it when you get there. We enjoyed it so much that we have already booked to go back next year.

5 Thank kmp54