“be warned, you need to be fluent in french, and love dirt.”

Vincci Resort Djerba
Ranked #14 of 104 Hotels in Djerba Island
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We have stayed in Tunisia before, the same star rating which was an iberosar hotel it was very beautiful. The run down state of this hotel has nothing to do with star differences in diferent countires. The hotel is tired, dirty, with poor lighting. The food inedible, however there are nice restaurants in surrounding area if your brave enough to explore. There were 3 outbreaks of diarrhoea, which gives you no confidence to use the pool. We were ok, as we did not eat in the hotel despite the all inclusive deal. The towel service is a joke. We had no lights in the room for several days and had to use a mobile phone as a torch at night. Ignorant french people put towels on the sunbeds at the beginning of their stay, despite not using the beds, they left them on the sunbeds day and night. There are not enough beds to go round. We saw a couple of interesting fights as considerate guests got peeved at having to sit on the grass. The hotel room can only be described as 'minging'. the bed unsantiary, creatures living in the couch. The bathroom dripping in slime. We complained to the hotel staff and rep, resulting in the room not been cleaned for our entire 2 week stay. I have always believed if you were rude, then staff would be rude to you, until we stayed here - We were polite and considerate but the staff were ignorant to the english. My husband stood waiting to be served for 25 minutes, so I leaned round him and ordered drinks in french, I was served immediately. When we first arrived and went to dine, we were yelled at by a waiter and made to move to a table that had been used and was not cleared, so he could sit a french family down at the clean table. This display was very embarrassing. People were in beach wear for evening dining - 4 star??? I think not. We felt like we had landed in the middle of a Frech chav housing estate.
Only stay here if you have no concern about filth, and can speak fluent french. You will need to clear your table to eat and clean your own room, Take cleaning products as they are hard to find in the shops. The YMCA offers cleaner accomdation, and polite staff.

Room Tip: Take Flash and jey cloths.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ruth B

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Like many people on here we were a little apprehensive about this hotel before we went due to the reviews slating the place. However this turned out to be a brilliant resort and we had a very good holiday here. There are a few shortcomings; the hotel is european rated 4 star so more like a 3 star. The bathroom decor could be cleaner and the shower curtain is very flimsy but this in no way spoiled our holiday. The aircon was quiet and very good and kept the room comfortable in the heat. The hotel grounds are lovely and well kept and the large pool is fantastic and there were ample sunbeds regardless of the time of day we got to the pool.
We are surprised about the number of negative comments on here regarding the food available as we found there to be plenty of choice, it was hot and there were new choices every day due to the themed evenings running. Yes we paid 2 dinars for freshly squeezed orange juice but this is 70p, a small expense, the usual concentrate was available if you don't want to pay. Chips weren't an issue as we like to try local food when abroad, not stick to the burgers, pizza etc (which were available for the unadventurous).
The animation team were an enthusiastic group who made sure everyone enjoyed their holiday with daytime and evening events. A little more English would have been useful but this did not cause any problems and didn't stop us joining in the activities. We certainly didn't feel ignored and didn't see any preferential treatment towards the French guests.
The private beach is a 5 - 10 minute walk away or a short trip on the free train from the hotel door. It is a clean beach with plenty of reasonably priced activities as well as free pedalos, kayaks and wind-surfers. Make sure you negotiate a price for camel rides before getting on as they seem to charge whatever they want afterwards. Beach traders are not a problem as they are restricted to the water edge and not allowed amongst the sunbeds, this is monitored by hotel security.
Drinking water is plentiful throughout the holiday. As well as the free bottle handed out in the evening from the bar, it is free from dispenser at breakfast and poolside bars, a bottle is given with lunch and evening meal and even on the beach water and soft drinks are available free of charge. We didn't experience long queues at the bar and were served within a few minutes.
We thoroughly enjoyed being at this resort and would recommend it.

2  Thank philamand
Reviewed October 1, 2012

But it is an acceptable 3*
After reading all the bad reviews I was a bit worried about going to this hotel with my friends (w/c 23/09/12). The room was comfortable and clean, but the air con was very loud (and not really cool) and the toilet kept flushing itself the whole week. Nothing that can't be fixed to make it a truly comfortable stay though.
The pool in my opinion was perfect. It was massive, it was clean and an ideal temperature. Plenty of sun loungers too which was great if you wanted to sleep in and not worry about getting up at 7am to reserve them like so many of the French thought it was ok to do. And speaking of the French, you could have believed you were in the south of France. Everything is in Arabic (which is fine seeing as we were in Tunisia) but also in French. As a British person you would be stuck if you didn't know any basic French. The food was served up for the French, the nighttime’s entertainment was in French and 75% of the guests were French. (Even at the airport, the Paris flight which arrived after the Gatwick flight had their luggage before us). It seems the British come last with everything in Djerba.
The daytime entertainment was good. Although little in English, you got the jist of what was going on and the entertainment staff tried to get everyone involved. It was a good atmosphere.
The hotel provided at a handy "train" to the beach which is free. Very good if you didn't want to walk in the scorching heat. The hotel also has its own private beach where you can get drinks and again, plenty of sun loungers there.
The food was poor in my opinion. Never hot, but warm. Half of it looked unidentifiable. Not beans or bacon at breakfast and what appeared to be frozen salad at lunch. It's a shame because the food is what lets this rather lovely hotel down. We all lived off pizza the entire week.
I wouldn't go back there unless it was catered just a bit more for the English and the food dramatically improved. And although advertised as a 4*, it does feel like a 3* which actually makes it quite expensive I think, so don't be fooled by that if you decide to book it. We didn't get our moneys worth sadly. But if all you want to do is lay in the sun and swim, then it's perfect. If not, pay a little more and go somewhere else.
Hope this helps with your decision :)

Room Tip: Don't request a sea view as you get a view of the road. Ask for pool view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank garycroydon1982
Reviewed September 30, 2012

awful!! don't go! not worth ur money! , food vile cold and raw ! fish fish all time! u have to pay for chips , orange juice !!! nothing to do out hotel! if u can speak French u well looked after or would enjoy entertainment as it all French! put it this way glad to be home! me and my partner where ill for two days there due to food etc! Don't Go!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank katelou25
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is not a 4 star hotel. There is not a restaurant; only an all you can eat buffet hall. The food is not particularly variable, and it is served warm but certainly not hot. We both suffered with an upset stomach, as did other people. We were hassled everyday by the hotel staff; asking us to pay for bingo, windsurfing, quad biking, camel ride, etc... At one point, a member of staff physically pulled me back, as I attempted to walk away after saying no! The advertised hotel resort beach is anything but private. There is a small and condensed section for hotel guests on the all access and severely littered public beach. The bathroom in the hotel room was unclean, and well worn; in need of severe refurbishment! The pool was good, and the animation team accommodate children of all ages. Sunbeds are always available. There was always a queue at the bar; 10 minutes for each round of drinks, which means a lot of queuing throughout the night. The cocktails are not freshly prepared. The gardens at the hotel are well maintained. It was our honeymoon, and we did not receive any acknowledgement or special treatment from the hotel staff or Going Places.

2  Thank Michael J
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First time we have visited Vincci resort djerba, we went from 9th September to 23rd September and after reading these reviews, I am really glad I ignored them, the hotel was clean, the staff were extremely friendly and did not demand tips - the airport staff on the other hand did demand tips!! The food was nice with different theme nights. The entertainment was good, and the staff tried to talk English - please understand though that French is tunisians second language, however the staff do not make the English feel unwelcome in any way and they try their hardest to ensure they talk English too. Some staff members actually waved us off on the coach when we were leaving for the airport. Although people have moaned about paying for bottled water and freshly squeezed orange juice - they have failed to tell you that. The pedaloes on the private beach are free to use! Plus 2 dinars only works out at about 30 pence for an orange juice or a bottle of water! The alcohol is not watered down like most all inclusives I have stayed in! The pool was fantastic, there are lots of activities to do in the day time also if you wish to take part or the Turkish baths is very nice, the gym could be a bit more in date. My advice which the travel agents do not mention is take sterling currency with you for the island and take euro's to the airport in djerba for your return home. Also our rep told us a small lie which was there is only a cafe at the airport to spend dinars before you check in, however there are two shops also, after check in you cannot use dinars so ensure you only cash a small amount.

Also there is free air conditioning in the rooms which is needed over night, again in previous all inclusive hotels this had to be paid for!

All in all our holiday was fantastic, and we are booking to go next year also.

Room Tip: The family room is good, also request a pool view room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna G
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My Husband and I booked this holiday 5 weeks before we went with Thomas Cook. After reading all the negative reviews I emailed Thomas Cook to complain that I had been mis-sold the hotel and that I didnt want to go. The reply I got from TC was that if the hotel was as bad as the reviews made out then my resort rep would move us to another hotel. Nervously I agreed to go and I was plesently suprised.

The flight was ok, the aircrafts was basic, no delays either way, Both airports were good. We did have to wait for a little while for our luggage on arrivel to Djerba airport. 2 French planes came in after us but got their luggage first. This was to be our first encounter of the french being prioritised over the english. If you are a smoker I would reccoment that you buy fags from the duty free while waiting for your baggage. We brought 400 Mars fags for £17 and they were really good.

When we arrived at our Hotel there was only 1 member of staff to check us all in, at 1am I didnt fell this was good enough. We were not given and water when we checked in and we were told if we wanted a drink we needed to go to the nightclub. Again I didnt feel this was good enough.

Our room was very basic, large double bed (not 2 singles) and a single bed that doubled up as a sofa. TV with 1 english channel that showed movies. Bathroom was ok but the shower curtain was mouldy and the toilet pan was cracked. The room seemed clean apart from bird poo on the balconly. this was cleared up several times during our stay but still made the balconly unusable.

After getting to the room at 2.30am I could not be bothered to go to reception about the mouldy shower curtain as in a few hours we had our welcome meeting and I thought I would mention it then. The next morning we went to the morning meeting at 9am. The rep was informative but obviously didnt have much time to chat. She was not impressed that we didnt get water the night before and said that she would talk to managment about this. We mentioned about our shower curtain and she also she she woould take this up with the hotel and by the time we got back to our room the curtain had been taken down and later replaced with a new one. We booked 2 trips, a 1/2 day trip for our 1st week and a sunset cruise for our 2nd week.

The hotel its self was fantastic, the pool was possibly one of the best I have had at a hotel. There was no need to reserve sunbeds at stupid o'clock (unless you wanted the same spot every day). We came down at 10/11am some morning and there were still loads of sunbeds. The hotel grounds were well looked after and the place was clean and tidy.

During the day there are water dispensers at the pool bar, beach bar and the snack bar where you can help yourself to water at night you are able to get bottles of watter from the main bar. I think this was meant to be 1 pre room but we had no problem getting one each and sometimes I got 2 bottles.

The pool bar served most drinks but only in plastic cups. These were small but I had no problems getting 4 at a time and there was hardly ever a que more than 2 people long. The main bar was very under staffed, only had 1 beer tap and regually ran out of glasses. I would therefore keep hold of your glass and get it refilled or be happy with a plastic one which are used by the pool. We did que most night to get drinks and felt it was very hit and miss on how many drinks you were aloud at 1 time. The sign that is kept in their draw says 2 drinks per guest and if you ask for 4 and only aloud 2 they will get the sign out and show you. Some staff give you 4 and some dont. I feel that if its a rule then they should stick to it, its not not to have the sign waved in your face after the 2 french girls before you have 4 drinks each!!!

The entertainment tean are great. If you say no they leave you alone and if your up for a laugh then you will have great fun with them. The club dance is very catchy and you will know the moves by the end of the holiday even if you dont want to because you cant help but watch them do it. Definatly the best entertainment team I had at any hotel. We did find that some of their english isn't very good so we dint get to know most of them but Momo, Tito, Moka, & Mario all speak good english.
One night we were asked by the entertainment tean if we wanted to play bingo. We did and we won the top prize!!! We got a silver necklace, a kaftan, parasending for 1, babana boat for 1 and a full body massage for 1. My husband done the parasending which he enjoyed very much and I have the massage which was amazing. The hotel spa was fantastic and the service was very good.

The Hotel staff speak very broken english if any at all but they all speak fluent French which is why I think the french get better service than the english. Not because they dont like the english but because they cant talk to us. Some of the reception staff like to speak to you becuase they want to improve their english so are happy to try and hold a conversation with you.

In the restaurant (or canteen!!) there was always something we could find to eat. I would say the food is aimed more at the french but there always a big choice. I would say the food was 3* not 4*.

The 2 trips we booked through TC were both good esp the sunset cruise. We had such a good time and it was nice to be with a group of english people. when we arrived on the island the tide was in so we had to paddle through the water in the dark which I diddn't like but the 4x4 ride home was so much fun, I though we were going to over turn at a few points but it was fab.

The taxis are so cheap and really helpful. We went to the crocodile park which was about 6 minutes drive and it cost us about £1.20 each was. I would really reccomend the crocodile park, we went at 5pm to watch feeding time.

One night we went to the Texas Stake House round the corner from the hotel. The stake was lovely and you could buy 4 liters of beer at a time unlike at the hotel!!! The was 10 in our party and between us we had 8 liters of beer and a bottle of wine and the bill still only came to about £17 each!!!. Later on in the evening the stake house turnes into a pud/night club. Definatly worth a drink, great atmospher.

We both fell ill when were were away and so did most of the people that we made friends with. Not sure if it was that they washed and cooked with the water, the amound of olive oil used in the food, the ice, of watered down spirits or the heat but we all just got on with it. We were all in the same boat and we didnt let it spoil our holiday. Take plently of imodium with you!!!

Overall there were some good bits and some bad bits. I strongly believe that I was at an advantage because I read the trip advisor reviews so my expectations were so low that I was surprised. I could understand why some people have complained but a holiday is what you make it and you just have to get on with it and have a good time. If you want england in the sun go to spain. When you pay £450 for a week or £600 for 2 weeks all inc you cant expect 5*. I agree that some areas do not meet 4* but you get what you pay for. Once you take the flights of the cost of your holiday and work out how much the hotel is costing per night inc food and drink, this hotel is great value for money!!

2  Thank RichLuLu