“Brilliant”

Ranked #14 of 103 Hotels in Djerba Island
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First time we have visited Vincci resort djerba, we went from 9th September to 23rd September and after reading these reviews, I am really glad I ignored them, the hotel was clean, the staff were extremely friendly and did not demand tips - the airport staff on the other hand did demand tips!! The food was nice with different theme nights. The entertainment was good, and the staff tried to talk English - please understand though that French is tunisians second language, however the staff do not make the English feel unwelcome in any way and they try their hardest to ensure they talk English too. Some staff members actually waved us off on the coach when we were leaving for the airport. Although people have moaned about paying for bottled water and freshly squeezed orange juice - they have failed to tell you that. The pedaloes on the private beach are free to use! Plus 2 dinars only works out at about 30 pence for an orange juice or a bottle of water! The alcohol is not watered down like most all inclusives I have stayed in! The pool was fantastic, there are lots of activities to do in the day time also if you wish to take part or the Turkish baths is very nice, the gym could be a bit more in date. My advice which the travel agents do not mention is take sterling currency with you for the island and take euro's to the airport in djerba for your return home. Also our rep told us a small lie which was there is only a cafe at the airport to spend dinars before you check in, however there are two shops also, after check in you cannot use dinars so ensure you only cash a small amount.

Also there is free air conditioning in the rooms which is needed over night, again in previous all inclusive hotels this had to be paid for!

All in all our holiday was fantastic, and we are booking to go next year also.

Room Tip: The family room is good, also request a pool view room.
2 Thank Anna G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My Husband and I booked this holiday 5 weeks before we went with Thomas Cook. After reading all the negative reviews I emailed Thomas Cook to complain that I had been mis-sold the hotel and that I didnt want to go. The reply I got from TC was that if the hotel was as bad as the reviews made out then my resort rep would move us to another hotel. Nervously I agreed to go and I was plesently suprised.

The flight was ok, the aircrafts was basic, no delays either way, Both airports were good. We did have to wait for a little while for our luggage on arrivel to Djerba airport. 2 French planes came in after us but got their luggage first. This was to be our first encounter of the french being prioritised over the english. If you are a smoker I would reccoment that you buy fags from the duty free while waiting for your baggage. We brought 400 Mars fags for £17 and they were really good.

When we arrived at our Hotel there was only 1 member of staff to check us all in, at 1am I didnt fell this was good enough. We were not given and water when we checked in and we were told if we wanted a drink we needed to go to the nightclub. Again I didnt feel this was good enough.

Our room was very basic, large double bed (not 2 singles) and a single bed that doubled up as a sofa. TV with 1 english channel that showed movies. Bathroom was ok but the shower curtain was mouldy and the toilet pan was cracked. The room seemed clean apart from bird poo on the balconly. this was cleared up several times during our stay but still made the balconly unusable.

After getting to the room at 2.30am I could not be bothered to go to reception about the mouldy shower curtain as in a few hours we had our welcome meeting and I thought I would mention it then. The next morning we went to the morning meeting at 9am. The rep was informative but obviously didnt have much time to chat. She was not impressed that we didnt get water the night before and said that she would talk to managment about this. We mentioned about our shower curtain and she also she she woould take this up with the hotel and by the time we got back to our room the curtain had been taken down and later replaced with a new one. We booked 2 trips, a 1/2 day trip for our 1st week and a sunset cruise for our 2nd week.

The hotel its self was fantastic, the pool was possibly one of the best I have had at a hotel. There was no need to reserve sunbeds at stupid o'clock (unless you wanted the same spot every day). We came down at 10/11am some morning and there were still loads of sunbeds. The hotel grounds were well looked after and the place was clean and tidy.

During the day there are water dispensers at the pool bar, beach bar and the snack bar where you can help yourself to water at night you are able to get bottles of watter from the main bar. I think this was meant to be 1 pre room but we had no problem getting one each and sometimes I got 2 bottles.

The pool bar served most drinks but only in plastic cups. These were small but I had no problems getting 4 at a time and there was hardly ever a que more than 2 people long. The main bar was very under staffed, only had 1 beer tap and regually ran out of glasses. I would therefore keep hold of your glass and get it refilled or be happy with a plastic one which are used by the pool. We did que most night to get drinks and felt it was very hit and miss on how many drinks you were aloud at 1 time. The sign that is kept in their draw says 2 drinks per guest and if you ask for 4 and only aloud 2 they will get the sign out and show you. Some staff give you 4 and some dont. I feel that if its a rule then they should stick to it, its not not to have the sign waved in your face after the 2 french girls before you have 4 drinks each!!!

The entertainment tean are great. If you say no they leave you alone and if your up for a laugh then you will have great fun with them. The club dance is very catchy and you will know the moves by the end of the holiday even if you dont want to because you cant help but watch them do it. Definatly the best entertainment team I had at any hotel. We did find that some of their english isn't very good so we dint get to know most of them but Momo, Tito, Moka, & Mario all speak good english.
One night we were asked by the entertainment tean if we wanted to play bingo. We did and we won the top prize!!! We got a silver necklace, a kaftan, parasending for 1, babana boat for 1 and a full body massage for 1. My husband done the parasending which he enjoyed very much and I have the massage which was amazing. The hotel spa was fantastic and the service was very good.

The Hotel staff speak very broken english if any at all but they all speak fluent French which is why I think the french get better service than the english. Not because they dont like the english but because they cant talk to us. Some of the reception staff like to speak to you becuase they want to improve their english so are happy to try and hold a conversation with you.

In the restaurant (or canteen!!) there was always something we could find to eat. I would say the food is aimed more at the french but there always a big choice. I would say the food was 3* not 4*.

The 2 trips we booked through TC were both good esp the sunset cruise. We had such a good time and it was nice to be with a group of english people. when we arrived on the island the tide was in so we had to paddle through the water in the dark which I diddn't like but the 4x4 ride home was so much fun, I though we were going to over turn at a few points but it was fab.

The taxis are so cheap and really helpful. We went to the crocodile park which was about 6 minutes drive and it cost us about £1.20 each was. I would really reccomend the crocodile park, we went at 5pm to watch feeding time.

One night we went to the Texas Stake House round the corner from the hotel. The stake was lovely and you could buy 4 liters of beer at a time unlike at the hotel!!! The was 10 in our party and between us we had 8 liters of beer and a bottle of wine and the bill still only came to about £17 each!!!. Later on in the evening the stake house turnes into a pud/night club. Definatly worth a drink, great atmospher.

We both fell ill when were were away and so did most of the people that we made friends with. Not sure if it was that they washed and cooked with the water, the amound of olive oil used in the food, the ice, of watered down spirits or the heat but we all just got on with it. We were all in the same boat and we didnt let it spoil our holiday. Take plently of imodium with you!!!

Overall there were some good bits and some bad bits. I strongly believe that I was at an advantage because I read the trip advisor reviews so my expectations were so low that I was surprised. I could understand why some people have complained but a holiday is what you make it and you just have to get on with it and have a good time. If you want england in the sun go to spain. When you pay £450 for a week or £600 for 2 weeks all inc you cant expect 5*. I agree that some areas do not meet 4* but you get what you pay for. Once you take the flights of the cost of your holiday and work out how much the hotel is costing per night inc food and drink, this hotel is great value for money!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichLuLu
Wigan
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I booked this holiday at the beginning of the year, however after looking at all the very negative reviews I really did not want to go and tried to change hotels, Am I glad I didnt!!.
My wife and I along with my daughter, Son in law and 3 year old grandson had a fabulous time.
A previous review said " not enough sunbeds" absolute rubbish as there is an abundance and you do not have to down early, unless you want particular spot, someone said you have to ap for chips, again rubbish served daily at lunch and evening meal. I am very fusy when it comes to food and nevr try foreign cuisine, so granted the Vincci Djerba still needs to concentrate more on the English, but I managed daily to find something. Another previous review said you had to queue for drinks for up to 20 minutes, I never waited longer than 10 minutes and there was 3 staff on the bar and was going as quick as they could " what do these people want" it's all inclusive and the guys are not robots. The grounds of the hotel are lovely, the animation team are all excellent and they went out there way to make a fuss of my grandson and in previous reviews it does mention the "French" Do people realise Djerba was a french colony and there second language is french, there was no issues and no one was treated unfairly regardless of nationality. Rooms again was excellent, my only negative point is the restaurant staff did not seem very happy, so daily they was very miserable.
Please be assured if you are going to this resort, please do not worry as some previous reviews are over exagerated and do not do the hotel justice.

4 Thank karl H
London
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Right -

- you do not get 'bottled' water during the day - this I expect is merely due to keeping wastage to a minimum. There is a cold water dispenser by the pool bar of which you can go to as many times as you want, fill up a bottle of water if you so wish. At night, you are 'allowed' one big bottle of water per room however until our last night, I had no problem getting 2.

- the cups by the pool are plastic and very small, you can go up as many times as you wish - I never had a problem getting more than 2 drinks at a time at this bar.

- I did not feel discriminated by because I was English - if anything, my other half felt discriminated because he was male - women definitely get the better service in our opinion. Nothing to do with being French, English, German etc.

- they do run out of glasses at the bar in the evening, every evening - I would suggest keeping your glass and getting it refilled or be ok with small plastic glasses.

- we both did get sick but this I believe this was due to over indulging and perhaps food being washed in tap water, maybe? - the water does smell quite unpleasant at times - in my opinion I don't believe the food ever off.

- the food was ok. It was not 4* but it was ok. There seemed to be something for everyone but if you are a fussy eater then think twice about booking - it is very samey. You only have to pay for chips if you are eating in the outside pool bar place during the day. Chips are free and plenty in the main dining room at lunch time.

- we never had a problem getting sunbeds, however I did hear that the occupancy had dropped massively the week we arrived as schools had gone back and can fully believe this may be an issue during school holidays. Some of the sunbeds definitely need replacing but overall, we always found a spot with decent enough sunbeds.

- the pool is amazing.

- our room was adequate, apart from the bath which had very little enamel and looked grubby.

- this is not a resort for people who want pint after pint or want England in the sun. The most annoying people, honestly, were a few British couples I overheard complaining about everything and anything they could think of.....very loudly. Very embarrassing.

- the entertainment team leave you alone if you say no - there is no harassing to do anything.

- the reception staff are friendly and helpful.

Overall - some good points, some not so good points - I read reviews before we went and was very worried - yes, some things are not great but a holiday is what you make it and who you are with/meet. We were very lucky to have met some lovely people with whom we ate, we drank, we danced, we laughed and the sun shone :)

I don't believe this resort should be 4* but then again it really all depends what peoples expectations are and what is important to them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunshiningchick
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you read all the reviews I'm sure you will think - no way not for me!
Don't be decieved, the place & pool are lovely, the food is very much the same but as the fussiest eater I managed to find something to eat without any problems. Bear in mind it is a Freanch resort and they are in fact ruder than the English, then you'll be OK. I still believe in manners but that wore thin towards the end of the holiday and I gave as good as I got.
Having to queue for 25 mins for a drink (only to get a plastic cup) is completely unacceptable by anyones standards, but spare a thought for the lads as its not their fault they are obviously short staffed - I offered to help out, fell on deaf ears. Now for the animation/kids club teams, find Momo, blink and you will miss him, but he is the funniest guy ever......last seen chasing me through reception, then performing a little private dance. You couldn't make, it up trust me. The people we met out there certainly made the holiday, what it lacked in many areas was made up for by us the UK tourist making the funniest holiday ever and we were probably the loudest too. Will I go back - hell yes, why not, the weather was great and I have the sun tan to prove it, the locals were friendly and we just had a blast. A little warning: Don't go to Salsa if you are tired, the strobe lights will knock you for six. Enjoy

Room Tip: We had a higher floor and I hate heights - level 34, fab view of the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Miranda W
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

peacefull pool until the bang-bang music starts. food was ok stay away from the PRAWNS if you do not want a dodgy-belly.the queue at the bar we found was only before dinner and TAKE YOUR GLASSES BACK AT NIGHT IF YOU DO NOT WANT PAPPER CUPS! they give you plenty bottled water after 8.30pm if you keep going to the bar. we met some wonderful people on this trip and that what makes up for the tired/ dated/ sometimes RUDE resort colleagues in this resort. in our future trips we will stick to the RUI chain as they are simply the best!

Room Tip: try to be in blocks 2/3/4 as tey are away from road/nightclub
2 Thank benties
Runcorn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

As this was my first experience of tunisia and all inclusive holidays i really didnt know what to expect, however overall it was a really good holiday and we all came back with a fab tan. There were a few things that irritated us and that was mainly the lack of english hospitality, even though we knew this was a mainly french hotel there was just absolutely nothing for my 6 and 8 year old girls to do, they watched in amazement the shows which were put on each evening and it took them until our 9th day of the holiday to try and join in the kids mini disco as they couldnt understand any of the songs!! The food was sometimes not to our taste but there was always something you could eat, a little repetative and hunting for a table was a chore but once settled the waiters were really helpful and they worked really hard.

The pool is massive and shallow almost all over except for the part where the water polo is played, but even then you can still touch the bottom if you stand on your tip toes, well i am only 5'6 and i could ha ha! the only down side was having to get up at sparrows fart to put towels on the sunbeds, I read on a previous review that this wasn't required but it most definately was on ours, what was even more annoying was that most people (mainly the french) would hog the beds around the pool but spend most of the day down at the beach, then come back for lunch and spend little time on the sunbeds. We didnt really spend time at the beach, although it was nice and the sea was really warm it was more suitable for adults and lots of camel rides and horses, jet ski's and banana boats. the hotel has a small part of the beach for just their guests and you get the drinks from a small beach hut, takes about 10 minutes walking which is a nice walk, passing a few shops who sell nice gifts and groceries, some good fake clothes too and cigarettes are cheap as long as you don't mind different brands.

We met some really lovely people and the staff at the bars around the pool were really friendly, especially Hamza who tried to teach us arabic ha ha.

The room was ideally situated on the ground floor right by the pool and the bar ;) and when the kids wanted a nap we sat on the balcony as the sun shone on it all afternoon. The room was big enough for us and the bedding was changed daily with really lovely swans and flowers left for us, towels were changed every day too. We did spend the majority of the holiday around the pool but there was activities throughout the day and the staff tried thier best to get you involved but it was just so hot and was easier to just relax on the sunbeds and dip in the pool when it got too hot.

Don't think we would go back here but wasn't as bad as we first thought when we got there, overall we had a good time and spent 2 weeks relaxing and having fun in the sun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family