Hotel Palm Azur
Seabel Aladin Djerba(Aghir)(Great Value!)
$95
$170
$90
Park Inn
$145
$127
Les jardins de Toumana(Midoun)(Great Value!)
$59
$53
$51
$189
  • Beachfront
Hotel Dar El Bhar(Playa Sidi Mehrez)(Great Value!)
$48
Joya Paradise(Midoun)(Great Value!)
$25
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 16, 2013

this is the 10th time I go to djerba, first time in Riu Palm Azur. I spent a week between the 1st and 7 september 2013 in room 1228 with Family , 2 adults + 2 kids.
Just at arrival, I left my mobile phone and some valuable personal stuff in the room and went to the beach. Back to the room, It has been stolen. The room window was left open by the maid and the security officier checked some foot traces in rooms garden. The hotel reception responsible shows a don't care attitude and I was left alone facing the police.
This seems to be not an isolated case, as other tourists complained about other robberies.
The reception responsbile refuses to let me declare the case in the tunisian tourisms authority complains book. I wrote a letter to RIU , but got no answer so far.
I spent the week surveying my personal stuff, even in swimming pool. It was not that funny to live with this insecurity feeling.
The hotel standard is far behind usual RIU standards : dirty and sick cats moving everywhere inside the hotel, humide rooms, unpolite staff,etc …
I fully recommend to go to Djerba but never to RIU palm Azur

Room Tip: Bring your own security officier when you go there
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mustapha R
Reviewed September 13, 2013

After spending a lovely week at the Magic Life Penelope Beach Imperial last year in July , thought we would try Djerba again and went to the Riu Palm Azur - September (2013) . The rooms were lovely , clean and up to date , however the waiters and bar staff were all very moody and not very helpful unless you tipped them every 5 minutes , the food was very bland and much the same every day and hygiene seemed at a very low standard . If you like the beach and a dip in the sea I would not recommend this hotel , the beach is okay but you cannot go in the sea it is full of rocks and the water is very murky . After 3 days of arriving I developed severe diarrhoea and had to see the doctor . Speaking to other guests in the hotel It seemed at least 6 other people had got it too , that had arrived on the same flight . The evening meal was a bit of a joke , at the beginning of the holiday you book your table and time of your meal for the rest of the week - ie same time and table every day, good idea - if it worked , on the 3rd day two other people were sitting in our place and on the table next to ours another couple lost their table twice and had to be sat else where . The restaurant rules stated men must where trousers so i went out be for the holiday and bought a couple of nice pairs , this was a waste of time and money as other guests wore shorts in the restaurant every night and nothing was said . We went to a Riu hotel as the reputation was meant to be very good , other Riu hotels else where might be but in my wife's and my experience this one was not !!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julian A
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Was very worried about this hotel as previous reviews were very mixed but I figured we paid a lot less for this hotel during school holidays than any other on offer so I tried to relax and stop worrying.

ROOMS - lots of storage, nice and clean - we had a sea / pool view which is worth paying the little extra to get and we were more than happy with. (No walk in shower but shower in bath which is absolutely adequate but for the elders or less able, this could be a problem.)

POOL AREA - pool is nice and large and shallow around the edges so for youngsters it great because they can play in the same pool as everybody else.

SUN BEDS - unfortunately, unless you get up at 6.30am and are down by the latest 7am beds are a struggle to get. There were 7 in our party so we had to get down early to get all 7 beds. We took our own towels which was a tip somebody else put on the previous reviews as it made it easier to in the mornings to grab. You also have to drag the cushions to each bed you need from various piles around the pool. Im not sure what can be done to avoid this problem but it was a drag having to be down so early to reserve. I would add though, this would probably not be so much of a problem out of season.

BARS - all ok, service was absolutely fine but the shorts are sort of hit and miss. Depending on what you drink its not that good and this is the first holiday that did not get tipsy on. The alcohol is either very weak or watered down. The white wine is perfectly ok though and so is the beer. The bar around the pool is help yourself for coffees and fizzy drinks plus the actual bar is open for cocktails if you want and big bottles of water fizzy or still you can have when ever you want also. (no icecream or lollies for kids during the day except in the dining area at set lunchtimes)

FOOD - i have no complaints about this what so ever, i thought i was perfectly lovely albeit a mad house at peak dinner times.

ADDITIONAL RESTURANTS - there was the tunisia resturant you can eat at once and the ASIAN. The asian resturant was fantastic, service great, food great, wonderful, would loved to have eaten there again. The Tunisian resturant was awful. Food was cold, service was rubbish and i mean inedible and the kids went down to the normal resturant to eat.

STAFF - i found them all to be very helpful, polite and accomodating.

ENTERTAINMENT - ive got to say the entertainment boys and girls were hard working and fun but the actual evening entertainment was so bad that it was actually funny. I will let you make your own decisions on that one. There were three good nights out of the seven. One was karaoke, second was live music and dancing/disco and the third was Mr Rui night which was very funny.

TRIPS - We didn't do any excursions except in the hotel there is a man who is advertising camel/horse riding for 2half hours. We paid something like £20 each to go. It was worth every penny, not because it was great views or in anyway fantastic but the laugh we all had between us and with the other riders made this a great afternoon. We were all injured from it though, chaffed legs, sore bums and of course sore legs. If your going to do it make sure you wear long trousers. :-) they walk the horses and camels into the sea half way around, this was lovely to do.

LOCATION - not much to see in Djerba. This is not a holiday for sightseeing.

BEACH - I was very disappointed with the beach. i think this is because i wanted to be able just to walk in off the sand and swim. This is not that type of beach. It has a jetty you can walk out too but its very rocky and slippery. We were with two OAP's who were unable to get down to the beach at all. i would recommend taking swim shoes to wear if your going to go in.

OVERALL - it was perfectly acceptable for the money we paid. Weather was great the whole week (very hot infact) 40 -41 degrees some days, we had a mix of ages with us, 2 x 74 year olds (one disabled), my 11 year old, 2 x 20+ year olds so it was difficult to please all but the hotel does not cater for 20- 25 year olds at all. There is nothing for them to do in the evenings and no where to go either really like a club. Djerba does not have a lot going for it with regards sight seeing so you really are reliant on the hotel to keep you amused of an evening. If your looking for an easy week of not doing much, then this is the hotel to do it.

Room Tip: 1.get an extra key so you can keep the air con on when your out. 2.take your own towels as this makes it easier to get beds in the mornings.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dannyandmichele
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was our first ever visit to Tunisia and we didn't know what to expect. We have stayed in a RIU before and wanted familiarity as we were very impressed with our previous stay. The hotel itself is very clean and presentable and the rooms were cleaned daily, and fresh towels provided when needed. The staff are all very friendly although there were not many who spoke a lot of English, they tried their best to help you. There was often quite a long wait at reception often feeling you were being ignored. On your first day you have to queue to make your dinner table reservation for the rest of week which I have never previously experienced and found it quite an inconvenience having to leave the beach to queue for half an hour at 5pm, to make the reservation. It just seemed like a bit of a waste of time as there are plenty of table spaces in the main restaurant. We never had a problem with the food in the main restaurant, every day there was a choice of fish and meat (sometimes steak) chips most days, potatoes, large selection of salad and veg. My son is a vegetarian and if he couldn't find much there was always spaghetti with pasta sauce which he was more than happy with. There's always something for everyone. At breakfast time there is always someone making fresh pancakes which go down a treat (they also make fresh pancakes around the pool around 2pm for a mid afternnon snack, these are lovely). You can book a table at one of the other restaurants the day before you'd like to dine there, we tried both the 'Asian' restaurant and the 'Tunisian' restaurant. We really enjoyed the 'Asian', there was a cold salad buffet for starters with sushi and salads and there was a hot buffet with spring rolls and onion rings. The main meal buffet had noodles, beef in black bean sauce quite a limited selection but there was enough to keep us full. The 'Tunisian' on the other hand was absolutely awful. The waiter was overworked and he was the only member of staff on duty in the restaurant that evening having to tend to at least 8 tables of cutomers wanting drinks and food. There is a cold buffet for salads to start, then an intermediate course of a 'brik' which looked like a semi circle samosa filled with egg and not much more. I wasn't keen on this. The main course was couscous which you could have in the main restaurant, and have more choice. We had to wait nearly an hour for our main course to come out and when it came it was very dry and not very appetising. That evening it was 38 degrees at 7pm and there was no air conditioning in that restaurant, we were melting! Not a pleasant experience.

The swimming pool is amazing, we spent most of our days around the pool (as I will go into in a sec there isn't much to do out of the hotel complex). The animation team work around the clock to entertain the guests throughout the day and night, getting all the women to do 'aquagym' around 11.45am before it's time for lunch. There's also archery, darts, french boules, and aerobics during the day (for the more energetic). The animation team work all day every day, one of the guys told us it was his day off the following day and then we saw him the following day, Iasked why he was at work I thought it was your day off and he said the boss said he couldn't have a day off he needed to work! They work very hard and they are always smiling, they have fun with each other and get the guests involved too, Diago, Aladin( and I think the other guy is Tita)are always dancing and getting the guests to join in. There are dance steps to lots of the songs they play and they do dance lessons for you to learn the dance moves! Definitely the most energetic team I've ever come across a reall asset to RIU.

When you leave the hotel, there are three shops across the road but other than that there is nothing! Sand and dirt and lots of litter is all you'll see outside of your hotel. You can get a taxi for 4 dinar (£1.60) into the main town Midoun as we did on Friday to see the market so that is really cheap. If you like fake designer goods, I suggest you go to the shops opposite the hotel as they are much cheaper than the shop inside the hotel and even in the market. Our Thomson rep Chris advised us to barter one third of the original price they give you but as soon as they hear you're English in the markets, they want to charge you way above the odds. I didn't have a good experience in the market and getting a taxi back to the hotel was quite stressful. You have to bully yourself into a taxi as there are other people who try and get into the same car, no system no queue I didn't enjoy that!

The Thomson rep Chris gives his welcome meeting on your first morning and will try and sell you excursions. Not much choice but there is not much to do on the island. We booked the Just Djerba trip with him which only half day which suited us fine (having my 12 year old son in tow who is easily bored). We went in a coach to a private museum which was great, even had a ride in a grass cutter pulled by camel. Then to a synagogue which was built in 4ad (make sure you take a hat and something to cover your shoulders) then onto a pottery session which was a complete waste of time. We watched a man making a candlestick on a pottery wheel powered by foot then had 20 minutes of hard sales pitch which was very unpleasant! They don't like to take no for an answer! The coach dropped us to an indoor market place and that was ok but more bartering, there's only so much shopping you can take when it's such a hassle but some people may find it fun. We wanted to book a camel ride for an hour (another Thomson excusion) and he was charging 90 dinar for 3 of us. Around the poolside, there is a guy called Mustafa and he will do this same trip for around 20 dinar each (£8) and you can also barter with him, he'll give you a much better deal don't book through Thomson. He aslo does quad biking, buggys and horse back along the beach which all sounded lovely but I just wanted to relax! On the beach there are jetskis to hire and RIU provide free pedalos and cayaks which are lovely. The sea is great, yes there is seaweed but it really isn't the end of the world! If you walk a little to the left of the hotel there is more beach with less seaweed but we swam in the sea by the hotel and it was never a problem. There is a pontoon that goes out to the sea and you can swim from that with no seaweed!

If you do stay in this hotel, Chris your rep drinks Guiness and he can't get it in Djerba, he asks if you could bring him over a couple of cans lol!!!!!!!!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel, we had a lovely week but I may not visit Djerba again as I feel we have seen all there is to see. We will definitely stay in a RIU again as we are always very happy with the hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

First flight if the year out to from uk. Decided to try another Riu after such a blast at Bellevue; hey guys!
The hotel was so clean and very upto date. Staff very helpful and friendly. The beach was beautiful, ocean blue with white surf and charging stallions across the sands was fabulous entertainment one afternoon!!
The food was amazing, don't miss the kebabs when on as they're simply delicious.
Entertainment was simple and not as much dance requesting as Bellevue does but the guys get everyone up together and have a great time if that's what you like. The schetches are similar to Bellevue, so I think there is an agenda to stick to. Being the first week for the Brits it needed alittle more umph but by now the guys will have it in the bag! They were so friendly and want everyone to have a good time. The Thomson rep, Niel is crazy and will do anything he can to ensure you have s brilliant holiday, he never seems to switch off and will always talk to you and when off duty he's still around so lives and breathes reping!! I can't say I've met a rep like him.... Anyone that has met him will know where I'm comming from on that one :-))
Would I go back? Yes!!!
Will I go back? I really don't know.... After sampling two of Riu's hotels I think I should sample afew more! That will be the only reason I do not return. The first flight out will probably the one I go for again if I return; not too busy , yet not empty...
Should you go?? Definitely!!!!
Small shops across the road are great, similar price to the town. The airport also has lots of little shops at the other side of customs for you to spend you last lot of Tunisian money and you can still barter! Have fun:-))

• Stayed: May 2013