“balanced review”

Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Djerba Island
Horsham, United Kingdom
“balanced review”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just returned and all i can say that i read the earlier reviews prior to leaving and i was worried to the point that I wanted to change hotel. I am glad Thompson did not let me. The hotel was clean, smart and the staff ever so helpful. Food - could not fault the provision of food at breakfast, lunch and evening. The three 'themed' restaurants were impressive and made a change from buffet eating.

Yes the hotel was busy but what do you expect for peak July and August periods. Entertainment was first class as were the trips out and would recommend the 'island Escape'.

Our family room was quiet, cleaned daily, and very impressive. Two separate rooms with free mini-bar. The beach was clean and so was the water. This was a delightful place to go and ticked all of our boxes for a family holiday and yes we would go again without a doubt!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cgnsw16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
UK
Reviewed August 26, 2012

i'd like to start by saying that I had a fantastic holiday at the RIU Palm Azur. We spent 2 weeks at this hotel and returned to the UK thoroughly relaxed and refreshed. I read with dispair the recent reviews of this hotel and was really concerned I'd picked a bad hotel. I was pleasantly suprised.
However that's not to say I didn't encounter issues throughout my stay.

i assumed RIU standards would be universal which sadly I didn't find at the Palm Azur. It was nothing major but lots of little things which pissed you off along the way.

On arrival at the Hotel (Thomson 6am Gatwick Flight) we were told none of our rooms would be available, this comprised of about 20 parties. It was 10am by then so presumably the rooms previously vacated by the leaving British guests would have been vacated by 7am at the latest? I'm still unsure why we had to wait 1 hour 15 minutes for our room. I would be interested to see if this is a regular occurrence or were we unlucky?

Our room was spotless and a good size, bathroom spotless. No complaints about the room or its cleanliness. The outside areas were also spotless and first impressions were excellent. We were really pleased.

It's true what previous posters have said about the main pool. It's far too small for the number of guests they accomodate. Beds were everywhere and no space to walk through. We always used the smaller infinity pool near to the beach. Usually quiet good access to the beach and near to a restaurant and bar. There was an issue with reserving beds but what hotel does'nt? Having said that there were beds still available at 8.30 am otherwise its the grass. When we checked out I did see someone reserving at 5am!

My biggest gripe was the restaurant. Not the food, as the selection was good international cuisine. There are 2 sittings for dinner first is 6.15pm second is 8.15pm. We were told we had to be prompt to clear for second sitting which was perfectly acceptable had the restaurant opened on time. It was usually 10-15 minutes late but on some occasions they were 20-30 minutes late. Ok you're on holiday,chill, but it happened throughout our entire stay. Subsequently a huge queue always formed followed by a stampede of hungry Russians foaming at the mouth..
My tip is go to dinner at 6.45 and avoid the crush..much more civilised. I did expect better management from a RIU 4 star though. To clarify we had no issues with the food at all none of us were ill and we ate everything including shellfish and all meats. My issue was the management.

As reoprted previously drinks dispensers were a nightmare. It was as though the pipes were not clean hence massive fobbing with all drinks including beer. This really needs sorting and quickly.

As previously reported some staff were miserable and not really adept in working in the service industry, however how happy can one be in 45 degree heat? didn't impact on my holiday any.

Overall this is a lovely hotel but I feel the Management is wrong. Certainly in the main restaurant. The best run food station was the snack bar. The manager there was excellent, always present and directing staff. Always checking if guests were ok. Perhaps he ought to go to the main restaurant. I do feel the staff were groaning under pressure from a full hotel (900 guests). not sure what the answer is here.

None of the above detracted from the fact that we had a lovely time. Djerba is a fantastic island and I would return but perhaps to a more efficiently run hotel. Hope this review helps.

Laurence

Room Tip: Rooms 4503 and 4504 have nice views of the pool and sea. I emailed the hotel and requested a nice po...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Laurenceb1
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We are currently in the Riu Palm Azur all I can say at the moment is after only 5 days is this is absolutely fantastic, the food is great, staff are wonderful, men do not have to wear long trousers, 3/4 length are accepted, will write more on my return, if anyone has any questions whilst I am here pm me and I will try and answer them Sharron

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Sharron R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Hotel has some good features, however, for a Thomson 4 star it was disappointing. Good features include the kids activities and facilities and the modern rooms. Our rep, Jill, was very helpful and the flight and transfers were all good. The hotel certainly looks the part BUT the main pool was incredibly overcrowded, if you wanted a a lounger you had to be up by 6am. The 'infinity' pool was tiny, and again overcrowded. Luckily the beach was pleasant and you were guaranteed a lounger. Unfortunately building work was going on at the beach adjacent to ours, so there were diggers and dust for the majority of the day. Wander off from our stretch of beach and you were met with incredible amounts of a litter to wade through. The food was plentiful, but most people who ate the meat seemed to get ill from it, and the amount of flies on the food was very off-putting. Having stayed in Riu hotels before I felt it was not up to their usual standards, and I was surprised at the Thomson 4 star rating. Early breakfast on the final day was in the Asian restaurant and was the most disappointing meal of the holiday. Dirty cups, plates and glasses covered in flies, food uncovered, no staff on duty, dirty table cloths, no juice machines working, a disappointing end to a disappointing holiday. Would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2209 a good room if you want a balcony overlooking the car park with no sun.
5 Thank RoweCat
London
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked a week at the Riu Palm in April having read some good reviews. We have stayed in Riu hotels in the past and thought we knew what to expect.
However, having just come back I feel I must add my voice to the more recent reviews that are correctly and fairly far less generous than the earlier ones that swayed our decision to book this very disappointing hotel.
We have booked with Thomson a number of times and have always found their rating system a useful and accurate guide. It beggars belief what Thomson were thinking with this hotel and I’m wondering if anyone other than their rep Jill has actually been there?
The hotel is too small for the number of guests it has. The air conditioning in the communal areas is rarely on, and in near 40 degrees heat this makes everything very sticky and uncomfortable. The food looks good but there seems to be an army of flies on or near the food. I had a very bad upset stomach for a couple of days.
The drinks situation is a joke, the machines in the restaurant don’t work half the time, or you get covered in froth when they splutter your drink over you. There clearly aren’t enough staff and they lack the fun and charm of other hotels we have stayed in. But in fairness to them they don’t have the time to be funny or charming as they are worked into the ground. This was never more evident than in the evening whilst at the bar trying to get a drink as yet again the barmen fail to see you!
The pool isn’t big enough and was massively overcrowded, thank heaven for the beach as despite being rocky as you go in the water it was pleasant enough and where we spent every day.
The lunchtime restaurant was too small and unless you got there very early it was hard to get a table, the waiters would snatch your plate the second you’d finished, and due to the evening meal being done in two sittings, we sometimes felt rushed to get there for our allotted time.
The room was quite nice but was only just cleaned to a standard. There were no nice little touches as in other hotels. One day they didn’t replace the toilet paper. I phoned down to reception at 12 noon to tell them. When we got back to the room at 4 there was still no paper, phoned down again. Still none at 5, phoned again. Finally at 7pm I went to reception and made a fuss. It shouldn’t take 7 hours, 3 phone calls and a trip to reception to get something as simple as toilet paper!
This isn’t the hotel from hell. But it certainly isn’t what we expect from Thomson or Riu, it certainly isn’t a Thomson 4* platinum hotel, and certainly isn’t worth the money being asked. Go somewhere else!

4 Thank stevego72
hailsham
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed at the Riu Palm Azur for 2 weeks from 12 july to 26 July. We wanted to try somehwere different this year, normally goes to Egypt or Turkey and do we wish we had, Yes we do.
We choose Palm Riu as it looked good and was value for money for a 4 * Hotel. And it is supposed to be Thomson Platinum.
Palm Azur dont get me wrong the hotel itself is could be a very good hotel if it had staff that actually cared about their guest.. But still does not warrant a 4* maybe 2-3*
The Pool area was to small for the hotel, there are to many sunbeds squashed into a very small area. You were lucky if you could find on. Unless you where up about 7am every morning to reserve one. Hotel says that you can not reserve sunbeds but be not uphold this. Also the hotel reps use these to have thee afternoon naps, while we are left to lay in the grass. Something wrong there.
When we go away we go to have a relaxing time. You get annoying music and if you do not join in with any of the activities such as water polo, water gym you actuall get called lazy which is quite offensive.
At meal times there are 2 main resturant of which you can eat in. The food is the same nearly every day. No sooner had you put your cutlery onto the plate the bloody thing was taken. We did not rate the food at all. You had to check the crockery, cutlery before you could use it as was not very clean at all. .
We were booked into the Asian and Tunsian Resturant by Jill, the Travel Rep.
When we got to the Asian the waiter stood there arguing that we did not have a table. Would not listen to use at all. Luckly Jill was still at her desk and went to speak to them on our behalf and got another table. There were lots of empty tables. To say the least we did not really enjoy our meal as we were be watched. The following eveing we went to the Tunsian Resturant and bugger me the same waiter was there. We could not eat all of our meal as there was so much put into the bowl and plus i do not eat chicken or eggs or sausages which there was lots of and the waiter made a point in front of everyone that we had booked to eat in the resturant and had not eaten much. We left soon after that as it was not good anyway.These should not be called resturants anyway they are way to small. And they are only open on 1 or 2 nights of the week and need to be booked in advance. Also in the other resturants you needed to check to ensure that the food was cooked properly. The meat was not always cooked through and food was not hot enough. I had upset tummy at least 3 times and my husband 1 time. The hotel is not bigger enough to cope with the amount of guests that it had staying there.
We booked 2 excursions both of which was booked through Thomson at the hotel . The first was quad biking. Where do i start.
The first quad i got onto was highly revving. Informed be the guide that we only needed to use the brakes and the accerator which was a small lever. I hadnt even touch the lever had both brakes on, shot forward straight into another quad. From that moment i do not want to continue but my husband swapped and he had mine and i used his. All was going well for a while until his broke down and would not start at all. In the mean time the guide had disappeared with the rest of the group. myself, husband and french lady i hit at the being were left stranded as they had gone one without us, he returned about 20 minutes later. Pushed my husbands quad into a bush, so me and hubby ended up on a quad between us, that then started cutting out. and again was left stranded and were helped by another group that was coming back.

Trip 2 was to go to a museum, hertiage centre, crocodile farm and shopping.
The musuem was in french or tunsian not in english. rushed around the hertiage centre. informed by guide that there are not geared up for the english on the island yet. The crocodiles were good but then you always get someone in the group who would start asking stupid questions and a child who always wanted to be at the centre of things did not matter what any one ealse wanted to ask or do. I actually naked her the devil child as she was really annoying.
The shopping did not happen as there was no time to do any.
One the last morning breakfast is served from 6:30 in the Asian Resturant. There were not staff there at all. The tables had not been cleared. There was not enough food for everyone. The bed was very dry. All we ended up with was a crossiant each and even that was not nice at all..
We would not recommend the Riu Palm Azur to any one. It should not be Platinum and deffintely not a 4* hotel.
Cetainly will not be returning to Tunsian/ Djerba again.

4 Thank ellsw-89
Midlands
Reviewed July 18, 2012

21st June-5th July 2012 - We were one of the couples (hello Dudley) returning after our initial stay 12 months ago. Yes it's true things have changed but we still had a good relaxing holiday.
Firstly, if you are travellers who do not like guaranteed weather of 40 degrees + then Djerba is not the island for you.
Some had issues with their air conditioning but ours worked perfectly and our room was always cool. The hotel is now operating at full capacity (contrary to last year) and therefore the staff are very busy and not as relaxed or as friendly as they were but they do try hard.
We spent our days on the beach where we had no problem getting sunbeds and beach brollies
at 8am but if you are a late riser it may not be as easy. With a little sea breeze it was cooler than lying by the pool which is a sun trap and therefore alot warmer.
The food was plentifull, good quality, well cooked and varied. No complaints there whatsoever and I'm a 'fussy' eater.
Unfortunately the Reception staff are a disappointment and seem to have a totally uncaring attitude, so we can understand how people with faulty air conditioning or other complaints would have been dealt with unsympathetically.
If you just want a pleasant relaxing holiday with good food and guaranteed sun at a reasonable price then the Riu Palm Azur is for you
however if you are a regular 'complainer' then the Riu Palm Azur will give you the ammunition.
The choice is yours.

Room Tip: Request garden view room which is quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple