“Nice setting but outside pool was broke”
Review of Riveredge Resort

Riveredge Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nice hotel on the water in A Bay! I would have been happier with the hotel but the outside pool was broke and drained. I have 2 kids and that was one of the key reasons I booked this hotel. They do have an inside pool that they used but very hot and loud in there. The restaurant was very nice for dinner overlooking Boldt Castle.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the water and Boldt Castle is what you want!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Tina R, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank You for your comments. I am pleased to hear that overall you did enjoy your stay with us. I completely understand you were disappointed, as were we, about the outdoor pool being inoperable for a short period of time. Unfortunately when someone makes a choice to be destructive to anothers property, which is the case in this instance, everyone suffers for that choice. For the safety of our guests, during this time frame, we had no choice but to close the pool to make the necessary repairs, which were completed within 24 hours.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Riveredge Resort and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went up to the Riveredge for a girls' getaway. We chose this hotel because we knew that they had a pool right on the river.

The good things first:
The view can't beat!

The pool area was fun. They had a tiki bar with music and also a band played. They also had staff that waited on us for food and drinks. They were all very nice.

The lobby and the restaurants were very clean and updated.

Most of the front end staff were very pleasant to work with.

Breakfast was very good and well priced.

Now the bad:
The room was very clean but was very outdated. It looked exactly the same as when we went 15 years ago. The clock radio was probably from 1980 as well as the TV. Speaking of that, the radio did not work on the clock and the remote did not work on the TV.

The pool was nice but dirty.

We did bring this up to the attention of the manager and she did give us a discount on the room which we were happy with. She was surprised that the pool was dirty and said they did have a pool guy and will get right on it.

We wish the pool had more lounge chairs and that they weren't bolted to the ground so you can't move them.

We would stay there again because it is one of the nicer places there. I just wish they would take the money that they get from their high rates and update the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went with this place based on a few user reviews. First, I confirmed that I had rented a room with a jacuzzi on check-in, only to find there was no jacuzzi in the room. Upon calling the Front Desk, the response was "we can move you to a jacuzzi room for an additional charge". Unacceptable.

Then things got so crazy it was actually funny. We ordered some room service, only to get a call back 20 minutes later telling us we had an "old copy of the menu" and the items we ordered "were not available". The bistro manager informed me we'd be visited by a server who would bring us the updated menu, take our order, and expedite it; and we'd get complimentary desserts. Sounded good, so we took the bait...once we'd placed our new order, we got another call from the bistro informing us they were out of bruschetta. How do you run out of bruschetta?! We substituted another item, and about 40 minutes later our food finally arrived. The best part was the dessert order - they forgot to take it when they showed up with the new menu, so I called the bistro to ask what was available and they told me it was a dessert tray, and they really didn't know what was on it, but could find out and call me back. At that point I felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode - between the phone calls from the Front Desk and the Bistro we just had to laugh, or we would have checked out right there.

I can't really say anything great about the room either - the media cabinet was damaged and the doors wouldn't stay open. No PPV - Really?!? I felt like I was back in the Catskills in the 70s...

Room Tip: Try the 4th floor with the jacuzzis if you can get them to book it properly!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeD22
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The overall area is kind of old and not as big an attraction as I thought. We were going to go to Bonnie Castle, but once pulled in, we turned around and went to Riveredge. Riveredge looks nice outside and is probably the best for Alex Bay. The staffs are friendly, but the rooms are dated for the price you pay. The elevator was broken too. Overall it was not good for the price they charged.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nym123s
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I'll start with the negative.... yes, the rooms could use some updating.......... but they were clean.

My hats off to the maids for keeping those rooms acceptable.

Anyhow, had a good experience, room was fine, balcony was fine........ being by the water, yes, there were bugs outside....... and we were pre-warned by mgmt. to be careful not to let them in by leaving the door open..... all's well, that end's well.

pool was good, bar bbq guy was very good.. chatty, retired military........ knows his bbqs.........

bartender outside wasn't as attentive as he could have been.. too busy chatting up the regular bar flies that hung out there on a daily basis......... personally, I figure he should finish his stories on his own time and not ignore customers waiting two stools down.........

yes, I would stay there again.........

Room Tip: I really liked facing the village.......... they have three views....... village, boldt castle that...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank george h
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived by boat and were moored on excellent docks by very friendly staff. The prices are on the high side, but the benefit is that you can actually find availability in a very busy part of the river in July/August.
The setting is outstanding and having dinner at a very good restaurant right in front of your boat is a rare treat.
The Tiki bar is good but hotel mgmt needs to streamline the facility, so that you can order both food and drink from just one staff and pay just once.
Overall a great venue, with friendly staff and good quality services!! We will return

Room Tip: If not on a boat you need to have a river facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but read them frequently. My husband and I stayed at the Riveredge this past weekend and had an enjoyable stay. We found the staff to be extremely friendly, whether it was the front desk, housekeeping or wait staff. Many of the reviews said the rooms were outdated and I would agree that they are not ultra modern, but I didn't feel they were straight out of the 70's either. The rooms were clean and of a decent size for a hotel room. The balcony was nice to be able to sit and enjoy some outside time and watch the views. I read many complaints about bugs outside and I can say I didn't really experience any even though there was a special notice in our room about "black flies" which are common to the North Country this time of year. We did not leave our balcony door open as I wouldn't do that at home either to keep any unwanted bugs out. I spent a good amount of time on the balcony and found it quite enjoyable without any bugs. The location is great as it puts you in walking distance to the "strip" and the boat tours, etc. Other than a day trip to Cape Vincent and Clayton, we parked the car and walked everywhere we wanted to go within Alex Bay. My husband and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the boat slips but also had a view of the river. I will book further in advance...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Otter Creek Inn
Otter Creek Inn
#2 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Riveredge Resort? Share your experiences!