“Excellent”

Riveredge Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Excellent location, excellent view, walking distance to town, clean, desk clerk (Patty) very nice and helpful, two pools - one out doors and one indoors. Did not try the resurant but the view looked right out to the castle.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank looneylake

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The Riveredge is where we have stayed the last 3 years when coming to Alexandria Bay for a weekend in June. This has always seemed to be the most modern hotel in the village and one of the few with an indoor pool for the kids. However, this stay, I'm starting to see the wear and tear in the rooms, from the worn-out carpet to the TV's that have to be 20 years old. The only room we could get that is big enough for 2 adults and 2 children is a loft room, it has a queen up in the loft and a pull out sofa downstairs. This room goes for about $215 a night in June, and I would expect much more comfort for that price. The bed was OK, but the sleeper is pretty lumpy and most the pillows were not in great shape either. The rooms do have a nice balcony.
The outdoor pool was open and pretty clean, the outdoor spa could use some scrubbing. There are no umbrellas at the outdoor tables by the pool, when I asked if any were available, I was told they had been destroyed in a storm and no replacements were here yet. Just a thought, but one nights stay should get 3 or 4 umbrellas down at Walmart. They do have a nice outdoor bar, but it only stays open til 9 (on Sat) and when we arrived on Friday after a long drive, the bar was closing at 11pm inside. Considering that Alex Bay downtown seems to cater to a bar crowd, it would be nice if this hotel would cater a bit more to its own customers with later hours to get a drink. The hotel restaurant is very good for breakfast, we never tried other meals there. They have a beautiful view outside the dining area and there are numerous boat slips available all around the hotel.
If you stay at Alex Bay, definitely do the tour of Boldt Castle, Singer castle was also nice and any of the Uncle Sam Boat tours are a nice way to get around and see the river. We have enjoyed most of the restaurants downtown, especially the BBQ place at the end of the main st, and the Admirals Inn had nice home style cooking.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank tomkat350
pgh
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Came to Alex Bay for Memorial Day weekend, and stayed at the Riveredge. Had read other reviews and was skeptical, however, we couldn't have been happier. We had a room with a view of Boldt Castle and it was beautiful . Room was clean, had read about bugs in room, and I must say the weather was beautiful and we let the door open and bugs did come in, but that's what bugs do. They were cleaned out each day with housekeeping.
Cory the bellman was great, always smiling and giving directions for where you wanted to go. Indoor pool and hot tub great, was a little too cool for outdoor pool, but it was open if you wanted to go in.
Ate in dining room one night and food was delicious. Had a drink in the pub, and it was great also.
I don't know what the bad reviews are about, this place was great. Too bad we live far away in PGH, otherwise, I'd be going back again and again. Alex BAy is a grea little town, many shops and restaurants, Don't miss Uncle Sam's boat tours and Boldt Castle.
Amy and Tom
Pgh, PA

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amborgPgh
Simsbury, CT
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This warmly decorated hotel, grape vine lights in DR, fireplace in waiting area added to the atmosphere. Walk to down town Alex Bay or Uncle Sam Boat Cruise. Enjoy outdoor or indoor dining, friendly helpful waitstaff.
Rooms with balcony view of marina and Boldt Castle. I would suggest coming after Mayflies season, balcony lights attract them.
Indoor and outdoor pool available.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank hobbittravel
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Can honestly say the Riveredge saved my sanity!! It has been a long winter and we needed a get a way badly. We decided on a last min trip and settled on the Riveredge! Our stay was terrific! Our room was beautiful with a wonderful view! The staff was incredible, there was a young lady named Billie Jo at the front desk that was as sweet as could be. She greeted us with a smile everytime we approached her and called us by name! It was so refreshing to go to a place where I didn't feel like just another face. The food was so much better then expected! I would advise everyone to go check them out and see for yourself. Had a great time, it was just what we needed and we will be going back soon!!!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Loveinlife2day
Big Flats, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2011

LOVED the window in the bathroom that overlooked Alex. Bay. If you go, request a corner room because you do get the extra two windows. One over the desk and one in the bathroom.

The beds were very comfortable, but the room wall paper looked a bit shabby and in need of some cosmetic renovation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed January 12, 2011

As beautiful as Alexandria Bay is, it really lacks in accommodation. Perhaps because its seasonal, perhaps because the number of visitors still isn't extreme?
I will give Riveredge Resort kudos for effort, as its at least above most other areas.
ROOMS: the rooms were decent. Overpriced but at least the pillows and beds were very comfortable. It wasn't loud and noisy either.
Also the views of the castle are lovely from the decks and porches. I didn't have a room that viewed it however.

WEDDING:However, I booked my very special day there, my wedding reception and well frankly it was not a fairy tale.
Their prices are right on par with any of the big cities and quite frankly thats ridiculous. I really got bamboozled because I didn't get the room upstairs. I also didn't get the honeymoon suite that overlooked the castle! so thanks for nothing Riveredge. We had booked a regular room the night before the wedding and we tried to upgrade and they said NO. HA! I brought in tons of guests to your hotel and am spending all these money and you aren't going to upgrade me?
My reception room was just drab and disappointing, especially when I peaked upstairs at what the other bride got just because she called a few days before I did. :( Also the air conditioning dripped on my wedding gown at Dinner and which was a designer gown.
All and all its my own fault, I got suckered into thinking I should do the normal wedding activities. Also I didn't get a chance to visit the hotel ahead of time because I lived in California and was doing a destination wedding. Probably not the best place to do one of these, even though the castle is AMAZING.

I will say that my cake they provided was awesome- a bit sweet for my taste, and the picture even got into a magazine. So a few thumbs up.

So advice:
1.They overcharge for what they provide. Maybe try to discuss and negotiate the contract.
Also do not get pressured into the contract by them saying they have other people waiting, etc. I say if you are hesitant, you are for a good reason- i know i was and should have listened to myself.
2. Visit the area, visit the hotel. Make sure you get an idea of what it REALLY is like before you commit.

Good luck!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank meganwescott
cpenrose, Manager at Riveredge Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
In response to the above review. Alexandria Bay is a very Beautiful location located on the St.Lawerence River in the Heart of the Thousand Islands. The Riveredge Resort sits directly on the St.Lawerence River overlooking the Magnificant Boldt Castle. Alex Bay is a seasonal town with over ten Hotels/Motels in the area. I am very proud of the Riveredge Resort and the fact that we take pride in our Resorts apperance and service. The level of satisfaction from our guests is alway pleasant. I am dissapointed that the review didnt like her reception. We are most comaparble to all other Reception Facilities in our area, by no means are we priced like Big Cities. All of our pacages are priced accordingly and include, Open Bar and Hor D' oeuvres for an hour. Champagne Toast, Appetizer, Salad, Main Course and we include the Wedding Cake, and a room for the Bride & Groom on their Wedding Night. We do not have a Honeymoon Suite that overlooks the Castle, we do have rooms that overlook the castle but they are not are suites, if one wants a Castle view all they must do is inquire. We do have three Banquet Facilities and we do book first come. I cant aplogize if you didnt get the room that you wanted because another Bride had booked it days before you. We are a destination Resort and we do get many inquires about Wedding Receptions. I can apologize about the Air Conditioner dripping on your dress, it is also my understanding that your wedding Coordinator did speak to you about this matter. Unfortunatly the warmthness of the day and Humidity had a big play in this incidident. In closing I would like to add that I am confident that if a bride were to look into our facility for their wedding they would be pleased. Again I do Thank the reviwer for her compliments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria Bay
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Otter Creek Inn
Otter Creek Inn
#2 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Riveredge Resort? Share your experiences!