“beyond excellent!!!!!!!!”

Captain Visger House
Kissimmee, Florida
“beyond excellent!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This B&B is above and beyond. Definitely stay here!! We had a awesome stay and will return to this place. Food, room and owner was fantastic. The best B&B we have ever stayed at. Sam is the best hostess. After eating her gourmet breakfast, you do not have to eat another meal. Sam prepares her breakfast taking in all the considerations of her guests. Room was so comfortable, clean and wonderful Sam met all of our needs. Can't thank her enough for a great stay.
Larry and Cheryl

Room Tip: see website
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Newfoundland, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I visited 1000 Islands for a long weekend "get away". We have stayed at many B&B's over the past 15 years and would rank Captain Visger House among one of the nicest we have stayed at. The room and bathroom were gorgeous, furnished with beautiful antiques. The bed was extremely comfortable. And we just cannot say enough about Sam (the owner)! She was warm and friendly and VERY accommodating, but also respected our privacy. And her breakfasts our out of this world, especially the French Toast! We would definitely stay her on our next visit to 1000 Islands and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna G
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited 1000 Island for our anniversary. We stayed in the Captain's suite for three nights. Comfortable room. Clean and nicely decorated with antiques . Creative breakfasts, and the coffee was really good too. Didn't eat again until later in the evening. Enjoyed our conversations with Sam and the other guests. Great location. Within walking distance to the tourist attractions, boat tours and the small park. Great for viewing the freighters as they pass through. We were there during Pirates Week. A very rowdy crowd. Don't go during this time if you want quiet. We would stay there again, but not during the Pirate celebration. Will always remember this vacation. The St. Lawrence is a beautiful river. Thank you Sam for your hospitality.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda R
Newfoundland
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our first stay in a B&B in the Alexandria Bay and Clayton areas. We really enjoy B&B's, and Sam and her beautiful establishment reminded us why. The room was delightful, a perfect blend of antique and eclectic, and totally fun. It should be mentioned in a review that Sam is a fabulous chef; more importantly, she was great to get to know! She'll be one of the reasons we go back to "look at boats," get to know the waterway a little better, and enjoy staying with her again. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the frontside are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm still coming off of the high of staying at Captain Visger House, and I now I'm completely spoiled and not very happy about returning to real life!

The best part of the visit were the two wonderful breakfasts. It's been said over and over in the other reviews, but Sam is an amazing cook. I don't know how she does it. I mean, until this weekend I thought I was a good cook, but last night I tried to re-create something she made us and mine was so mediocre in comparison. If she ever comes out with a cookbook, I'd like to be the first person to own one.

Additionally, the house is lovely. It's a gem in Alex Bay for sure. The house was clean and quiet, and the other guests were friendly and like-minded. I had never stayed at a B&B before and I was sort of expecting awkward morning conversations, but everyone was great.

Overall: I highly recommend staying here if you're in the area. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just finished our 2 night stay at Captain Visger House and, thanks to other TripAdvisor reviews, were not disappointed.

Upon checking in, Sam did not ask for credit card info, as with most other establishments. Nice and relaxing atmosphere. She did ask us if we were familiar with the area and suggested a few places to grab a decent, informal lunch (Josie's Pizza did not disappoint!) and activities to do in the area. Sam also asked us a few 'dietary' questions (vegetarian, if we liked eggs for breakfast, and if so, how prepared, allergies, preferences, etc.) which she mentioned that once she asked those questions once, she'll keep them in her head and never ask again. She also advised us that if we had any questions at any time, just send her a text and she'd answer it immediately. Nice!

After that, we proceeded to bring a few items to our room and unload some stuff. Harmonius room is small, but adequate. I love her decorating touches in Harmonius, as well as the whole house - you've got to see it! We walked around and checked out a few shops (selling mostly junk & t-shirts, although there were 2 or 3 shops which did have quality items), ate lunch/dinner and finished up at the park across the street from Captain Visger House where there was a free concert starting. If you go to Alexandria Bay to see the Boldt Castle, as we did, or for any other kind of tour on the St. Lawrence River, there are great views from the park, as well as from other eateries in the immediate vicinity.

Breakfast ---- ahhhhhh breakfast ---- was out of this world!! Quite possibly the best, most unique breakfast I've ever had - and I loved it! I'm adventurous when it comes to food, however, my husband is basic and standard. Well, we both received quite a surprise! Fresh coconut bread which was still a tad warm for starters. Yummm! Then Sam brought out 'fresca', which was a drink which consisted of watermelon, lime & mint! I must've had about a quart of that - absolutely delicious and unique! Entree was white beans with chorizo (or not in my case), with scrambled egg on top (poached egg for husband), avocado, fresh thinly chopped peppers and (what I tasted to be) fresh pico de gallo (or something quite close to that) - and a generous portion too. Also served with a homemade corn muffin. Sam has a garden on her property, and I did see parsely, basil, etc. in her garden, so it's all that much more exciting (for me) when i know it's coming from 'farm to table'! Again, absolutely delicious and unique! Yes, husband ate his portion and some of mine which I could not finish.

We then set out on our way to Boldt Castle - and took the Uncle Sam 2 Nation tour - past Millionaire's Row then leaving us at Boldt Castle to spend as much time as we liked! It's a must see!

Our second breakfast at Captain Visger House - well, the husband enjoyed, but I did not partake. Wasn't feeling well and we were leaving for a 10 hour car ride home and I decided not to take any chances. I was so disappointed that I did not get to enjoy yet another culinary adventure from Sam, however, husband's description was 'eggs with asparagus'. Safe to assume it was a lot more than that description, but I'll never know. Sam did offer almond milk to settle my stomach, which was a very nice gesture.

Thanks to other TripAdvisor reviews, we were steered in the right direction. If you haven't already done so, give Captain Visger House a try - you'll be happy you did!

Room Tip: In Harmonius, you can see the sun rise from bed - such a treat!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoMuchToSeeOutThere
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We came to the area for a wedding but were amazed at the incredibly beautiful St. Lawrence river and the local geography! The Captain Visger house is perfectly situated near the heart of things, Sam is an engaging host, an expert in the local history, a great source of information, and a great cook. We enjoyed the comfort and decor of the Harmonious Room. We took full advantage of the front porch, too! Sam is a very special person and we feel like we made a wonderful new friend. We also likedmeeting the other guests and chatting with them.

We hope to return again sometime to this wonderful spot!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Rock Ledge Motel
Rock Ledge Motel
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Captain Visger House? Share your experiences!