“Absolutely Lovely!”

Captain Visger House
Buffalo, New York
“Absolutely Lovely!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

My now fiance and I spent one lovely night at the Captain Visger House in Alexandria Bay when we were on route to Quebec City. We could not have been happier with our experience. The house itself is very beautiful, and it is clear how much love and attention to detail went into maintaining the character of such a wonderful gem. We stayed in the room with the jacuzzi hot tub which was incredibly relaxing. Even better was the breakfast in the morning- possibly the best breakfast I have ever had! Sam, the owner, really whipped up some delicious food and catered to my dietary needs (I am a vegetarian). We were just so pleased with this place, and it was a great way to kick off our weekend getaway- we got engaged in Quebec and now we can go back to celebrate! We would reccomend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Schoharie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

The wife and I spent Labor Day weekend at the Captain Visger House in A-Bay. Off-street parking and walking distance to just about everything in the downtown area. The owner (Sam) was extremely nice host, gave us a tour upon arrival and then showed us our room. Can't remember the name of the room, but it was perfect for the two of us. The breakfasts that Sam prepared were amazing and a must-have while here. From some type of fluffy french toast, to a de-constructed BLT & egg sandwich, everything was freaking amazing. While the Captain Visger House is more expensive than your average motel, this is a B&B and not your average motel. I'd recommend staying here.

A-Bay itself seemed a little quiet (but I was told it was Labor Day weekend) and you can tell that it was in its prime maybe 20 years ago, but we had a great time. There was a blues festival on the street around the corner. We took a boat ride on the St. Lawrence. Did a little fishing and shopping. Lots of restaurants to choose from. I'd have no problem returning to A-Bay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

The Captain Visger House is a beautiful old house with a charm and coziness that we have found in only a few other B&B's. Cathryn, the hostess, was gracious and helpful in making our stay relaxing and enjoyable. The House is within easy walking distance of everything in Alexandria Bay.

We stayed in the Harmonious Room. This room was cozy and comfortable with an inviting decor. The bed and bedding were fresh and comfortable. We slept soundly during both nights of our stay. The A/C Unit was a modern, remote controlled unit built into a wall that regulated the temperature well. The room decor was well done and all flowed together. The curtains let just the right amount of light in while keeping the room comfortable. The colors gave the room a warm and cozy feeling.

Two things to be aware of in this room. The bath tub/shower is an older antique tub, which requires stepping over the side or using a step stool. And, the room does not have a television. We were truly thankful for the lack of TV, as it allowed us to get away from everything and to reconnect as a couple. The house has wi-fi, so we were able to check the weather, dinner menus, boat schedules, etc..

The breakfasts lived up to their top billing, and them some. The food was outstanding and served in huge portions that even my husband could not finish. The breakfasts were very unique as well with interesting combinations and flavors. The hostess was very consiencous about reviewing dietary restrictions and preferences when we checked in.

One additional gem is the town park located across the street. The park has benches on a small island in the St. Lawrence River. The park offered a terrific view of the Boldt Castle and the ships traversing up and down the river. The views of the Castle at night were spectacular.

We are always a little cautious about places that receive so many excellent ratings on TripAdvisor. We can assure you that The Captain Visger House lives up to its high ratings in every which way.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobandRena
meaford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Beautiful old home, very comfortable, wonderful host and amazing food, quaint village. What more could you ask for!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

We recently stayed here to celebrate our anniversary. We arrived just a few minutes early and were warmly greeted. We stayed in the Captain's Suite, which is very nicely decorated and spacious. If you have any appreciation for maintaining an old Victorian home, you will LOVE what they have done with their home. The owner (Sam) has photos to share. Breakfast is served each morning at 9am. It is plentiful, fresh, and delicious - including the coffee. There is a front and back porch, which are perfect to relax on and only a short walk to downtown, and the pavallion on the municipal-owned island where we watched the sun set. We will return here and would like to invite friends to join us!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shane A
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed here in March, April, and part of May 2010, not October, however, Trip Advisor does not let me enter dates earlier than October 2010. This was a business trip Alexandria Bay, where I spent 6 months as a consultant.

First, let me say that there are not too many places open in Abay in March, so my company placed me in the Captain Visger House. I stayed in the Captain's Suite, a comfortable room with beautiful furnishings. Sam and her husband Tim treated me like family and I have the fondest memories of my stay there.

The food was amazing and I always felt comfortable in this B and B. Great conversations with Sam at breakfast continued into the evenings when I returned from my job. I got to meet several local folks, including some Amish, a beautiful young lady who sells organic duck eggs, and lots of Sam's great and interesting friends. Then there was Maggie, the kitty who would visit me and keep me company in the TV room. I shared wee tastes of my breakfast yogurt with her sometimes.

This is the absolute finest place to stay in Abay. Despite the fact that the inn is not set up for extended stay travelers, like myself, the owner went out of her way to make accommodations for me. She has a heart of gold!

I hope to visit this beautiful area and wonderful people in the future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Emmy111
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed a couple of nights in this B&B while on a tour of New York State and our only regret was that we didn't get to stay longer. Right from the minute we crossed the threshold we were made to feel so welcome by Sam and her husband, and honestly felt that nothing would be too much trouble for them. The house is gorgeous and it is obvious how much effort they have spent in making it so.
The room was peaceful and tastefully decorated and such a relief after the hustle of Manhattan.
The breakfasts were out of this world and it is clear that Sam has a passion for cooking. We had omlettes the first morning and baked eggs the second. Wow, is all I can say. We even got a goodie-bag of muffins to take with us on our final day, and it is these little touches that make all the difference.
We ate dinner at Das Village Haus. on the recommendation of Sam and loved it.
We hope to return at some point, and will not consider staying anywhere else. Neither should you. We have stayed in plenty of hotels and B&Bs around the world, and this place is among the very best. Go on, what are you waiting for?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Capt.'s Inn & Suites
Capt.'s Inn & Suites
#8 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Captain Visger House? Share your experiences!