“Loved It!”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Brooklyn, NYC
“Loved It!”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

This place is great and clean. Internet connection was easy and fast. There is a small boat peir at the end of the property where i was catching bigger fish than over at Kring State Park! The place was quiet and so close to the main strip that we all walked to eat and sightsee. Our room smelled very clean and there is no smoking in all of the rooms, so there will be people outside of the rooms smoking. I have to admit my stay at the hotel made my trip and vacation go alot easier. I will reccomend this to anyone!!

• Liked — Clean Rooms, internet, boat pier
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tiny11231

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
centralpa
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I have been staying at the Otter Creek for one week/year since 1996. I just returned from a week of boating with my family and enjoying the 1000 Islands. Dennis and Debbie Butterfield purchased the Inn 4 years ago. Once they determined we were people just looking for a place to bunk down for a week in close proximity to A-bay and to enjoy the area, we were treated like gold. Dennis and Debbie are always friendly, are mindful of their property, and look to preserve the investment they made 4 years ago. They need to be professional to all different types of clientele and do their best to make your stay enjoyable and relaxing. My kids have literally grown up on vacation at the Otter Creek and look forward to staying there every year. We enjoy the docks, the quiet, and the convenience. The boating is nothing short of superb and the convenience to the 1000 Islands is fantastic.
If you want a nice, quiet location you can almost move into rather than just stay a night, give Dennis or Debbie a call.

• Liked — Convenience of docks and downtown
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mistylynn
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We just spent two wonderful days in Alexandria Bay and stayed at the Otter Creek Inn. Due to flight delays and car rental overbookings, we didn't arrive until about 11pm. We called from O'Hare Airport, and again from Watertown NY, and the owner assured us that if he would wait up for us to get there, or leave a key in an envelope for us. We had not prepaid or used a credit card to hold the room, and I was stunned that this incredible person had no qualms about leaving us a key to stay in his hotel w/o having paid, and without knowing a thing about us (other than that we'd been having a rough day of travel!). He did indeed wait up and when we arrived he got us right into our room so we could fall into bed. He even put us up in a corner room so we'd be able to avoid the common morning noises and sleep in. The owner of this property is reason enough to stay at this hotel again and again, he was just amazing. The rooms were basic, nice and clean w/mini fridges. And take along shampoo & toiletries. The hotel discourages noise after 10pm. and additional guests are forbidden after 10pm, which made for a relaxing stay - there were no noisy kids running around slamming doors or hollering overnight, it was very peaceful. AND it was a short walk to the downtown area, we didn't have to drive to get to the boat tours and shopping, it was only a couple of blocks. Another neat feature was that he's set up colorful patio chairs along the dockside end of the building, in the grass, with little patio tables where you can hang out and look at the water and visit or whatever. Even all the guests were friendly, it was just a wonderful experience. AWe will definitely be back, and I wil never stay anywhere else in Alexandria Bay!!! Totally outstanding!!!

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Sarahim
Kingsland, GA
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This hotel is run by a couple who also live on premises. They keep the place very clean and maintained. We had a single king bed room with mini-fridge. It was simple, cheap and a good location. Able to walk right to downtown attractions quickly.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — No internet, no water view and no pool.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmyashLewis
NY
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We stayed at the Otter Creek Inn over a weekend in June. The location is fantastic, only a short walk to Alex Bay. We brought our boat, and it couldn't have been easier. The docks are right outside, and the launch is a few feet away. Trailer storage is at the Arena which is only a few blocks down the road. The Inn is in a small bay off the main channel. There was an eclectic mix at the hotel, boaters, sight seeers and bikers. Everyone was freindly and helpful. We wouldn't hesitate on booking rooms there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Most uncomfortable beds in the world
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank NYEMT
Calgary
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed at the Otter Creek Inn as a last minute trip down to Alexandria Bay for the Poker Run to meet up with some friends as I was in Toronto for the week for work.

After some searching online for a room and a few phone calls, we found one room remaining at this motel for a relatively reasonable rate. The guy on the phone (I presume the owner) was very friendly when we booked and we provided him with my VISA info to secure the room. We arrived around 6 or 7pm and upon check-in were told about the standard rules and regulations of the motel. As we were unloading the rental car, the owner comes out and starts reading us the riot act about not having anyone else stay there (it was me and my brother). I informed him at the time that the other 2 guys that were with us were staying in another hotel (which they were). We would have stayed at the other hotel as well, but they were full. The owner was rather condescending and talking down to me like I was underage even though I am a 30 year old professional. He returned again before we left to go for dinner just to make sure. As one of my friends had a boat in the race, a bunch of us had come down to A Bay for the wknd, thus, the explanation that I provided seemed very reasonable to me. I'm past the point in my life whereby I need to cram a bunch of guys in a tiny motel room in order to save a few bucks.

The room itself was of standard motel variety. I wasn't looking for luxury as we were merely using the room to sleep and then head out in the morning. It would have been nice if there was more than a tiny bar of soap for the shower, but once again, this isn't exactly 5 star luxury. After a nice dinner in down at Cavalleris we went to the local bar where we ran into the owner again. He was nice enough, however, one of my friends overhead him talking about us to someone else and referring to us as "a bunch of Toronto tough guys". I'm not sure why he would have been talking smack about us, given we didn't say or do anythng to him.

After the bars, we returned to the room and subsequently went to sleep and did not cause any disturbances, for which he was in agreement with in the morning. At around 930am per the clock radio in the room, we get a call from the owner's wife asking if we were staying another night for which we replied no and that we still had to time to check out before the 11am. An hour later we get another call, this time from the owner himself enquiring about the same thing. I told him not to worry as we still had some time before checkout. At this time, we woke up and got packed up and went to check out. At this time, he provides me with another VISA receipt to sign indicating that I owed another $20 for late checkout. I tell him that we were out on time and he indicates no as it was close to noon (for which I check my watch and it is actually noon). I told him that the time on the clock in the room was more than an hr behind and we honestly thought that was the real time and he said that it was too bad as his wife had already run the charge (as if reversing a VISA charge is just not possible in this day and age). First off, the actual cost of the extra charge was not the issue. The issue was to nickel and dime us for another $20. I told him to go up to the room and check the clock if he didn't believe me and he merely just shrugged it off and said it must have been a power outage which doesn't even make any sense as the clock would have had to have been reset.

I completely understand that a rule is a rule, but they are not exactly running a major operation here... I would be willing to bet that they would have had minimal bookings for the Sunday night, thus the cleaners not being able to come in and clean up the room (for which there was no mess anyways) until noon would not have posed a major problem for the next day's booking. All in all this experience left a sour taste in my mouth and I would not hesitate to share my negative experience with this motel with others.

• Stayed June 2008
5 Thank ryan444
New York
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We weren't disappointed in the cleanliness of the facilities. The location is great and for boaters it's ideal with the docks practically right out your door.
We read the other reviews before booking and found there was only one review that might reflect negatively on the owners. That was the one where they are strict with the comings and goings of unregistered visitors. That review sold us to come because we knew the property would be well kept and looked after.
We highly recommend this property and were very pleased for our short stay.

• Liked — clean, location and price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Quality Inn & Suites 1000 Islands
Capt. Thomson's Resort
Capt. Thomson's Resort
#5 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Otter Creek Inn? Share your experiences!