“Weekday rates make Otter Creek a very good value.”
Review of Otter Creek Inn

Otter Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were greeted warmly and found this to be a good basic motel, clean and comfortable. Great location only a 5 minute walk to the main section of town. I do agree with an earlier reviewer that a coffee maker with standard packets of coffee should be expected. We made good use of the refrigerator. The television volume control was preset and would not go higher. This was annoying as some stations were quieter than others. With the air conditioning on it was difficult to hear at times. The early 1pm check in was a plus and allowed my wife and I to take full advantage of the afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 21, 2012

My two sons and I have been lodging at the Otter Creek Inn for the last 3 or 4 years. We usually stay three to four nights during Pirates week. We travel with a 20' boat that we use for fishing, water skiing and touring around the islands. The boat dockage at Otter Creek is perfect and is very affordable. The rooms are clean and smell fresh. This is a no smoking - no pet - no cooking in room motel - so no worries about smoke, pet or cooking odors. The rooms are simple - beds, tv, refridgerator & a table with two chairs. The room rates are affordable for peak season. The owners Dennis & Debra are very nice people and are very accommodating. Most of the guests that stay there seem to be friendly people - usually you'll hear a good morning or a hello from a passing guest.
This could be a positive or a negative depending on what you're use to sleeping on - the bed mattresses are firm - I generally like a plush / super soft mattress. So I have to adjust for the three or four night stay.
The Otter Creek Inn is a perfect place for my two sons & I to stay on our annual fishing, wake boarding, island touring and father & sons bonding get away.
The Thousand Islands was and still is where very wealthy people have summer homes. The huge mansions that were built on islands back in the late 1800's - early 1900's are still in good condition today.
Have fun - be happy - life is short.......

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul F
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at Otter Creek Inn for 2 nights the beginning of August, joined by another couple. CAA rate was reasonable and the location great! We were able to walk to downtown Alexandria Bay each night; enjoying the restaurants, view of the marina , Boldt Castle across the water and even do some shopping. Plus, we were only about 11 miles from Clayton NY if anyone is interested seeing another quaint old town with unique stores for plenty of shopping, a Historical Boat Museum and the Muskie Hall of Fame! The Otter Creek Inn rooms were relatively basic, although spacious and clean. The hosts were cordial and hepful. Hotel rules & regs are posted in each room; albeit they seemed a tad tacky, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I understand the importance and emphasis on the need to maintain a pleasant stay for all inn guests. Not sure that we followed the rules to the letter ( LOL ); however, we never had any issues. We would definatey stay at the Otter Creek Inn again. For us, Clean, Close and Cordial is paramount for any vacation ! If it is for you too, then ya otter try out Otter Creek Inn !

Room Tip: A room down by the water or near the stairs if staying on the upper level would be ideal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sherie24
Reviewed August 14, 2012

For years I've come up for a Fri & Sat nite stay during "Pirates' Weekend"; this time (Aug 2012),
I chose to stay the whole duration, 9 nites, 10 days.
!st I was welcomed with open arms & a hug from Debra.
2nd As I started to decorate my boat, I discovered that I was missing some important hardware; we looked thru Dennis' toolbox and found what I needed...Thanks Dennis
3rd On my 3rd day, my boat broke down, I had all the tools but the right ones, my Yamaha
has Metric nuts & bolts! Again, off to Dennis' toolbox for the right socket & wrench; I was able to repair my boat and go fishing...Again, Thanks Dennis...hats' off to you, and thanks for the help & hospitality that makes my vacation a memerable one... :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael V
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The website states that the Otter Creek is the 'newest' in town, but be warned, it's not new at all.
The room was adequate. Clean, with air-conditioning. Fridge was not plugged in on arrival and could not get it to work once plugged in.
Beds were not comfortable, you could feel the strings under the mattress.
No breakfast included.
Hosts could not be bothered to ask us if we had had an enjoyable stay. Judging by some other reviews, they can be nice but we didn't get a single smile or word of welcome. Shame.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank DutchMrApollo
ottercreekinnabay, Owner at Otter Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Otter Creek Inn is Alexandria Bay’s newest accommodation built in 1989 of steel and reinforced concrete. It is constantly getting upgrades internally as well as externally.
The refrigerators are all in good working condition. They are turned on and off by the knob inside the refrigerator. We would have gladly helped this guest had we known they were having issues with its operation. The rooms have either Therapedic or Restonic Hospitality mattresses and box springs. There are no strings under the mattress. We don’t offer breakfast, nor do we advertise that we do. We do provide menus to local restaurants. We are more than willing to help a guest if we know they need assistance. We offer maps and tourist information to those that inquire. We are sincerely sorry that this reviewer was unhappy. We do our best to make all guests welcome and ensure that their stay in Alexandria Bay is a pleasant one as it such a beautiful area to visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

First off I can not comment on the conditions of this place as we never got to stay there as I will detail below. My girlfriend and I made reservations to stay here for 2 days over the phone with the female co-owner. They took our credit card info and charged the deposit to the card. Several hours later the male co-owner called us back to verify how many days our stay was for as he said "he could not read the handwriting." We again stated it was for 2 days and we would be checking in on a Friday and departing on Sunday. He said ok and that they would see us then. Approximately 24 hours later the female called us back and said there must have been some kind of confusion as they have a 3 day minimum. No where on their website does it state this (look on their website and see for yourself) and at no time in the previous 2 phone calls was this ever mentioned. They then said that if we did not want to stay for 3 days they would refund our card and put us on a "waiting list". I can not believe that any place would conduct themselves so unprofessionally and inconvenience potential customers in this manner. If they had simply stated in either of the 2 phone conversations we would have looked elsewhere. Now as it stands, after we made the reservations, we had rented a vehicle, took the time off from work and informed family that we would be visiting there. Now we are left high and dry having to hope to find another place to stay, but can not do so until the refund is credited to our account. We have incurred additional costs and inconvenience all because of a "policy" that was never conveyed prior to accepting the reservation or charging our credit card (also the deposit charged was half the price of the 2 day stay, which you would think after quoting and charging the amount would have jogged their memory to this “3 day minimum policy”). This now becomes an even bigger inconvenience due to the fact that if we can not find another place to stay, once we are credited for the fraudulent reservation, that we will lose money on the rental car deposit and the loss of vacation days from work. This will then lead us to having to get our personal attorney involved and litigating against the owners of this establishment. We found this place through AAA, as they are an approved lodging for AAA. You can be assured that as a 15+ year member of AAA that they will also be hearing about this experience and will hopefully reconsider recommending such a poorly run establishment to their members. So all I can say is reserve a room here at your own risk and hopefully you don’t end up having your vacation plans changed on a whim by people that clearly have no business sense. Also if this is how they conduct themselves as a business, prior to even staying there, one can only imagine what the quality and condition of the establishment they represent and run must be!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank jab31575
ottercreekinnabay, Owner at Otter Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

It is very difficult to respond to this review as we are unsure as to what really happened. It may be that this reviewer changed their reservation dates and we were unable to accommodate the new dates. We take one night deposit regardless of the number of nights reserved. Any refunded deposits are usually returned that day or the next once we know of a change or cancellation. The refunds are posted immediately from our credit card processor. We are not responsible for banks withholding those returned funds. We do put people on a waiting list if we are sold out for the dates requested. We do call people off of that list if we get any cancellations. They are also adviced to keep trying to find a room elsewhere. We do have a two night minimum on weekends in season. We are in good standing with AAA and will continue to adhere to their standards. Understandably, it is unfortunate that this situation may have happened and if something was misstated, it was not intentional and we are very sorry. We take our occupation as innkeepers very seriously and we, along with our staff, work very hard to provide all our guests with an enjoyable visit to Alexandria Bay and the 1000 Islands.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Dennis and Debra are awesome hosts the rooms were fantastic and well kept , it is a short walk to main Street , can't wait to stay there next year, the office and cleaning personnel were very friendly and helpful if you needed anything

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Capt. Thomson's Resort
Capt. Thomson's Resort
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay

Been to Otter Creek Inn? Share your experiences!