“Unfairly Charged”

Bonnie Castle Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Alexandria Bay
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the resort on Labour Day Weekend 2012. Upon registering we asked about smoking rules at the hotel. We were told we couldn't smoke in the room but were allowed to smoke if we went out onto the balcony, which we did faithfully, we did not once smoke in the room. Upon checking out we were charged $150 for smoking in the room, which we never did, all we can think of is the air conditioner sucked the smoke back into the room. Maybe they should change their policy of smoking on the balcony I wouldn't want to see anyone else charged that kind of money for doing what they said was allowed. I emailed them to complain and got no response so thinking they never got my email I wrote them a letter and still no response. In my estimate this is poor management. Needless to say we will not be going back and will not be recommending this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Patricia C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at Bonnie Castle in January for a winter getaway. I know the place has been let go over the last 15 years, but the new owners have done wonderful things to it so far and they plan on doing alot more. We had a king size room with a jaccuzi tub. The room was clean and had a new bed. So it was very comfortable. It has new windows and heating/air conditioning units. They forgot to paint the wood around the new units. But all in all we loved our room. The sports bar was very retro. I hope if they renovate the bar that they keep the retro look. It is like walking into a bar in Vegas in the 1960's. I loved it. We ate at the restaurant and had the prime rib. The portions were plenty, the service was good. And the prices reasonable. I think the new owners have taken on a big project, but I'm sure it will pay off because Alexandria Bay needs Bonnie Castle to be the resort it used to be.

Room Tip: We had room 334 and it had a beautiful view to the pool and out on the St. Lawrence River. There we...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Turnuptoes
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Last summer after hearing about all the changes occurring @ Bonnie Castle we decided to try it out and were not disappointed Dining was enjoyable, we had a very attentive server, the food was tasty, wine reasonably priced. The view from the dining room onto The River & Boldt castle is spectacular. On another occasion we tried their Sunday brunch, very reasonable.

We toured the grounds & The Point (formally the Rum Runner) has had a face lift, it's a terrific place to boat or walk to for drinks & or casual waterfront and outdoor dining. Live entertainment was planned over various weekends however we only were able to take in one of the Labor Day shows performed by The Shintas (may have misspelled their name but loved their show).

The resort is easy walking distance to the downtown however when this place gets in full swing I wonder why you'd want to leave.. Gorgeous setting for a wedding, reception or any party.

I can now comment on the hotel guest rooms as we recently stayed at the hotel for a winter weekend event & the basic accommodation with a king bed is quite adequate. Rooms are clean, excellent shower-plenty of hot water, good bedding, comfortable mattress, lots of absorbant, thick towels, handy in-room fridge and bar counter; staff we met were polite & helpful. I did view 2 different jacuzzi suite rooms and both rooms were quite spacious, the tub in one style of room was huge. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort for dining or overnight accommodations.

In the upcoming months the indoor pool & hot tub and surrounding room are to reopen after undergoing changes & repairs. This amenity can only enhance the stay @ Bonnie & add to the allure of a winter get away. The outdoor pool was redone and open for enjoyment in summer 2012.
My advice is to ignore negative comments especially the ones written before the new owners began implementing their plans for changes and repairs.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank RosieRed19
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This past weekend I stayed for a special event that was being held in Clayton... The rooms were very paper thin, could literally hear everything going on next room over. I had to purchase a scented plug in to take away the smells. The listing said updates had been done to some rooms, but apparently mine wasn't one of them. I don't recommend this for a stay until they have it completely renovated. I walked up to get coffee and bagels, $20 plus later, I was given a knife to leave in the room upon departure, upon further inspection the knife was rusted and could not be used. They are boasting fine dining, but if they use this kind of silverware, I wouldn't eat there. The bathroom had a slow drain, while showering(with very little water pressure) the water was filling up in the tub. I found hair in my towel, maybe at home this would be ok, from a family member but not at a public establishment. I would not recommend you stay here,if you have another choice to pick from!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at Bonnie Castle in a basic room with a King bed. The room was clean and basic, but there was an odd smell - sort of like the Skoal Menthol Snuff my grandfather used to use that permeated the room. It wasn't overpowering enough to make us switch rooms but I've never had a room elsewhere with such an odor. The rooms actually have two seperate entrances, one door that leads to an internal corridor just like in a hotel and another door that leads directly outside as in a motel. This made us a little nervous about leaving belongings in the room and we opted for the car as it has an alarm.

This is an older property and it shows but the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great - not a far walk from any of the main spots in the waterfront area. Other reviews suggest that the rooms with a view are quite good. For a basic room however, I think the rate of $78 per night (Fall rates) minus the 20% military discount ($63) made it a decent value, but I would not want to pay more than that. This property certainly has great potential and if the owners continue to make steady progress with updates, it should prosper.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travelismygame
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at Bonnie Castle for a wedding and it indeed is a work in progress. The room was clean and efficient. The bed was very comfortable. While you can certainly see where it was upgraded you can also see there is a lot of work to be done yet. I certainly would say the owners are very hard at work to make needed improvements.
The grounds were very nice simple and for being so late in September fairly well kept. The reception room was very nice and had an outstanding view of the river and it's landmarks. The food was very good and well presented. For a large wedding guests were served quite fast. The waitstaff was friendly, and helpful. I was suprised by the cocktail waitress coming around and taking orders for drinks which was a nice touch. The bar staff was also quick and friendly with guests.
The housekeeping crew was exceptionally friendly and accomodating. They were very understanding when they came to clean about us not being ready to leave the room, they asked us if we needed anything and even offered to return. My only disappointments were that the indoor pool was under repair and that they don't offer more ammenaties like breakfast which in my opinion was fairly priced for a buffet. Give this hidden gem a try!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have some view of the river, views are beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank S S
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were meeting up with old friends for the weekend and the weather didn't cooperate. After a near perfect summer in the Thousand Islands, we unfortunately got the rain. We still ended up having a wonderful time spending several hours at the Pointe, the Bonnie Castle's casual bar and restaurant formally known as the Rumrunner. Great service, food and drinks. Every staff member we encountered throughout the resort was friendly and helpful. The Sunday breakfast buffet was delicious and only $10 for all you can eat! The hotel has gone though major renovations and there are still things that need to be done, but what has been renovated has been done top notch. We slept great in the brand new king size bed. I loved the retro feel of this resort and I hope the owners keep some of that in the renovations. This resort has the best views of any Thousand Island hotel with a beautiful view of Bolt Castle from most of the resort. All 10 of our friends that got together that weekend agreed to make it a tradition to go every summer to the Bonnie Castle. I have a feeling we will get a larger group together every year!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
#4 of 14 in Alexandria Bay
Boathouse Country Inn
Boathouse Country Inn
#2 of 3 in Rockport

Been to Bonnie Castle Resort? Share your experiences!