“We Only Had Time for the Castle”

Boldt Castle and Yacht House
Book In Advance
More Info
$130.14*
and up
Boldt Castle and Thousand Islands Helicopter Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This 120-room labor of love was built by a wealthy businessman for his wife.
Rome, Pennsylvania
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“We Only Had Time for the Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Clayton Island Tours took us this morning to this attraction. Years ago, when we first saw it, it was a mass of graffitti on a vandalized structure. Some friends of ours have seen it since the extensive renovation, and told us how well it had been done. They are right. The top floor is still not completed, but what they have done is amazing. It now looks like what a wealthy man could have created for his wife and family. By the docks are restrooms, food places, and a gift shop, expanded from the size of the one in the castle. There are also great restrooms in the castle itself, and there is an introductory film which we skipped due to the short amount of time we had. The grounds are lovely.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

It was neat to see but I wish we had packed a picnic for the afternoon. If you like history you will enjoy this. There is 2 seperate fees.. One to go over on the ferry and another for addmission.

1 Thank nyladyluck
new milford, ct
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Very much worth a visit but skip the boat tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Boldt Castle used to be a spectacular wreck but much of it has been beautifully restored. You can wander through the rooms on your own, watch a video about the original owner and tour the beautiful gardens. The restoration, for the most part is quite authentic, although some of the furnishings are not and lend a jarring note. Uncle Sam's Boat line will take you directly to the castle,or you can stop there as part of the 1000 islands tour. The tour is not especially interesting, although the scenery is spectacular, and I would advise going directly to the castle, and taking the Antique Boat Museum tour from Clayton instead.

Rochester, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Love Boldt Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I have a cottage on Wellsley Island, and each time we are there and special guests come to visit, we take them on the Uncle Sam's boat tour to Boldt Castle. It is amazing, the children all think they are knights, living in this castle. The grounds are immaculate. The flowers are gorgeous, the shrubs are perfectly groomed. It is romantic, I can imagine my daughter coming down that beautiful marble staircase. You've got to see this castle!

Zhenjiang, China
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Boring”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The castle is beautiful but it was boring. I was happy it was a self guided tour but eh I made it through it in like 20 minutes. I guess I could have stayed longer had I watched the video but I didn't want to. The grounds were lovely. It's just too bad it was so cool out.

1 Thank valerie b