“does exactly what it says on the website!”

The Englishman's Retreat Guesthouse & Resort
Ranked #41 of 96 Udon Thani B&B and Inns
“does exactly what it says on the website!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

stayed at the retreat for about 11 days in march,I got no surprises,found the place very clean,the staff very pleasant,I think if you are booking the place expecting a 5 star luxury hotel then look elsewhere,I enjoyed my stay,there is a few rules but I think glyn has been a victim of a few idiots in his time in that business,although the place is very secure I think an option of a room safe would be a good idea for a small charge of course,otherwise I would definately be back,thanks glyn and staff

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank markthefish67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Koge, Denmark
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I've now stayed in the "Retreat" for about 10 times, and each time I feel the place getting better and better. I like the way that you can go somewhere, sit and have a drink in the bar, meeting someone new people and have a chat... Maybe go somewhere together, because the social network there is so good. I've tried their pool and quiz night which are fantastic and gives me entertainig while being on a vacation.
They got free internet.
Have nice and clean rooms, and this time even new madress on the bed, additional fan and chair in the room.
Close to the golf course, not far from city and all facilities you need when you travel to places like Udon.
I stayed more than 50 other places in Thailand, and must say here you really have the value for small money.
There fore I having small comments for the negaive adds: I would feel shame, if I wrote those "bad" things about this place... I've traveled so many places in asia, and must say what does people expect? You pay for an bicycle, and expect to recieve a Rolls Royce.. Wake up! The place is a wonderfull place where I keep returning, because of the huge value for your money.
Staff is nice, and give you a good and fair service, food is wonderful, I've not seen many places where you get the high quality and standards, to compare with pretty big portions.
Rooms are cleaned daily, and they change sheets, when you ask for it.
Pool is also clean, cheap minibar as well, and everything is functional.
I think some people proberbly is not social at all, and mixed up in their head, if they think they can live in5 star hilton-style-hotel for paying less amount what they charge for placing their tent in a camping-place in Poland....
Normally when I go up to Udon, I come from Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua-Hin or somewhere else, spending 10.000 bath a day, and then it falls down to around 1-2.000 at day.. incl. golf, laundery and a lots of other things.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank SorenRisager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My Friend and I missed a flight to Phuket, and came to the Englishman's retreat for the night quite upset with ourselves! We walked in to this lovely home away-from home style hotel.

My friend Marc and I had a blast, Glynn and his family were lovely, and the local people that stayed there 6 months of the year, were like family by the end (Which was needed as we had been travelling for a month). Had a very fun evening of games and a sing-a-long. We were welcomed with open arms, which was lovely considering we were complete strangers. Jim, Jim's Wife and Martin-Luther were absolutel brilliant, and gave us a packed lunch before we left the following day.

Since coming home we often talk about 'The Englishman's Retreat' and the fun we had that night, beating all the boys at pool! and how lucky we were missing our flight in the end.

Rooms were clean, cheap and swimming pool was lovely, all facilities were perfect for our stay.

Would go back in a second, Lovely place they should be proud. Kate and Marc xx

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank katescott1986
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2011

stayed at the englishman's retreat just over 2 weeks with my girlfriend and had a fantastic time.i found glyn the owner,his wife and all his staff very welcoming,friendly and always willing to help with anything i needed.the room was extremely comfortable and cleaned to a high standard everyday and both the western and thai food exceptional and always served fresh and quickly and at excellent prices.the gym was well equiped and the pool a delight to swim in and also cleaned regularly.i found all the residents very friendly and the bar a good cheap place to drink and play pool at.very peacefull at night so good sleep was always achieved.there are many bars and shops in close proximity and i look forward to returning as soon as possible.i find it hard to see how anyone could give a bad review of this wonderful little guesthouse.well done to you all and i wish you great success as it's by far one of the best hotels i have stayed at in my many times in thailand and at such cheap rates.congrats to you all.

Room Tip: all rooms equally very good.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Stayed here for 1 week in April with my gf & son but only stayed 3 nights as I stayed the other 4 at my gf fathers house. I would have checked out after 2 nights but they dont give refunds and I wouldn't give the owner the chance to re rent the room.Everything about my stay was bad,attitude of the staff,waiting time for food,not enough towels,having to ask for toilet roll and being charged for drinking water in the room. The owner welcomed me the first afternoon but became standoffish when I told him I was Irish. I will be back in Udon Thani in October and I will certainly NOT be staying here.

• Stayed April 2011
8 Thank Taipoom
Ornuma, Owner at The Englishman's Retreat Guesthouse & Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Hi Garret, I don't know why you've decided to scrap your original review (and my response) and repost 11 weeks later, I suppose that in itself speaks volumes about your ultimate goal.

It is true the reviewer did need to ask for a third towel (normally we only issue 2 but he did have his son staying with him and so should have had 3) and tissue at least on one occasion, it is also true his food came late one very busy evening. We are very sorry for these shortfalls and staff training has been carried out.

Me discriminating because of someone's nationality doesn't even deserve a response.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Hello Glen and family,
Thanks for the wonderful time, that i had at your retreat. Your staff was very professional and accommodating . I felt like a part of the family and your other guest were nice and fun to chat with! And everyday i was greeted with a smile from your staff . Thanks for a job well done!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Every room will get you the same treatment
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed June 11, 2011

arrived at adon airport early evening, called glynn and one of his staff picked us up and delivered us to resort hotel
hotel small and friendly, rooms are clean and most have AC with cable TV etc mini bar well stocked and very reasonable (not like some ripoff places)
bar meals or room service again was very reasonable and great selection of farang or thai meals,
pool was cleaned daily and water was warm and not over chlorinated, so swimming was a pleasure. had a look in well set up gym, but not tried as it is not my thing!
small area out back which is a play area for kids and safe because fully enclosed.
area out front for bike and car parking. and location quiet but easy to get to udon centre, or tesco lotus etc
all in all a great place to stay for a couple of days, cheap, clean and friendly, and good atmosphere at happy hour (5 till 7pm) but not over the top if you want an early night for the kids.... try it out folks.. we will be back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family