“This is a world class hotel - unbelievably cheap”

Centara Hotel & Convention Centre Udon Thani
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Udon Thani
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed twice on visit to Vientiane.
Hotel was at least as good as some of the better Bangkok venues and equal to and often superior to American and European four and five star places at which I have stayed costing TEN TIMES AS MUCH.
I had a standard room at one thousand five hundred Thai Baht (about AN UNBELIEVABLE £30 UK pounds).
Yes it might be possible to pick very minor faults (ALLTHOUGH I CAN'T THINK OF ANY)
There is a good pool, the public rooms are spacious with a faded gentile elegance similar to the London Ritz.
A classy trio (drums,piano,and double base) played and sang popular European and Thai music every night in the sumptuous lounge, and pleasant well trained staff seemed genuinely pleased to serve and converse.
The beautifully carpeted corridors led to large and spotless thoroughly modern en-suit rooms
All in all a great and unexpected find.
My only regret is that I am unlikely to be back this way again.

Room Tip: Book Internet and be confident to pay in advance.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MJ_Williams864444
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

On behalf of staff and management team, I would like to thank you for taking your time to give us lovely feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments on the set up of our hotel. I have pass on your notes to the owner and staff and they were all very pleased to learn about your appreciation.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again for a more pleasurable experience.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I just returned from 4 days stay in this hotel. The hotel is located right in city with connecting to Central Department Store building made your life easier. The band was superp as well as the food in Chinese restaurant by the Iron Chef was so great.
Airport transporation is also available. The staffs are friendly everywhere in this hotel.
Highly recommended if you guy visit Udon..don't miss !

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank AngelThailand
Reviewed June 10, 2012

When I traveled to Udon Thani I did not know what I had to expect from Centara Udon Thani. It was a great experience; good transportation service from the airport to the hotel, a great and warm welcome, delicious food during our conference, good meeting room and especially a great service! Nothing was too much. During the conference never it was too cold or too warm. The room was great, a good mattress and good water pressure of hot and cold water. I will not hesitate to recommend the hotel to my business friends and my personal friends. Sure that I will visit the hotel again. Thank you all for the great stay.

Room Tip: Visit the new Central Plaza next door
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank EnjoyTravelHolland
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I recently stayed for two nights at this, just ordinary hotel. The choices in Udon (very nice little City) are limited, however, I expected more. The air conditioning is poor and we had to move to another room with not much better efficiency. I didn't expect Bangkok type service but the rooms are dated and the common areas have no air conditioning. Breakfast buffet was adequate and staff are just a bit too diffident although pleasant. Very central location adds to the appeal but since Udon is fairly easy to negotiate, I would definitely choose another option. Not horrible but certainly not a good value. Requests for service were very slow and they just seem to be a bit behind the times in terms of level of service. Don't look for too much here. A fairly expensive option to rest you head. Not much more to offer.

Room Tip: Check to make sure the a/c is working properly, although I would venture to say that it is poor all...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Critical1
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I would like to thank you first of all for taking the time to write a comment on this platform. Your comments and feed back are essential for us in order to improve our service and the personal
touch we aim to deliver to our guests.

We are of course very concerned about the fact that we have not met your expectations in some areas. Your comments about the air conditioning and slow service have been shared with department heads concerned and I am sorry for the inconvenience that may have caused.

Please be assured that this is not our normal standard which strive to provide a top class service experience in 4 star hotel for every customer which is reflected in the various positive comments we receive from the Trip Advisor community.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again for staying with us and I very much hope to welcome you back to our hotel again for a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

An older style (but recently renovated) hotel right in the middle of Udon Thani city. With the new Central Plaza right next to it a good location and actually one of the better hotels of Udon Thani.

We used to stay in this hotels years ago with but it started to be out-dated and even old. But now after the all renovation I thought "Let's try it again".

We had an standard room and with 32sqm is not small but also not spacious. The bathroom is actually a bit small and not much renovated. Well be aware that due to the renovation all standard, superior and deluxe rooms do not have an bathtub anymore but just an shower.

Wifi is NOT free (at least not in the package we had)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChangNoi1
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I know there aren't many choices in Udornthani. So Centara is probably the best value given the room is on a discount during weekdays (I've stayed wed-fri).

The hotel building reminds the guests that it'd had its boom time in the 80s. The building lobby and hallways interior looked old-fashion and was quite a bit run out. The fitness is quite decent . I didn't visit the swiming pool as it seemed I can reach one end to another with in 5 strokes.

Good thing was that the room was quite new, spacious and neat. Hot water in the bathroom warmed up pretty fast. The flush however was very noisy and quite irritating especially when my friend used it in the middle of the night. The bed was quite stiff for my back however.

The breakfast line has variety of rustic bread(not my favorite though), pastries, thai , singaporean (bak-ku-te) dishes. Quite nice.

The location is convenient, near the biggest shopping mall and night market.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nat0911
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for taking time to communicate your valuable feedback to us during your recent stay.

Whilst your overall experience was good, I have noted the areas where you feel there is opportunity for further improvement, which we review further.

We look forward to welcome you back again, and showing you our commitment to continually improving our guest experience.

Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately the staff are arrogant and not trained properly. Charging for Internet is like charging for electricity or hot water.
Terrible shame as the location is superb.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Gemdealer
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

We thank you for sharing your travel experience with the tripadvisor community.
We are obviously concerned that you rated our hotel in the low range, which gives
us further motivation to do better in the future. As a constant part of service improvement,
we have initiated a free internet available for all guests which covering all Lobby
area as well as most of our guest rooms. Alternatively there are 3BB internet WIFI
operator available with competitive price at Baht 99 for 1 month which can use
almost everywhere in Thailand.

I have also taken your comment about our staff and your valued feedback will help
us improve our performance and attain our objective which is to thoroughly delight
all our guest.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion and we look forward to welcoming you
back again for a pleasurable experience.